Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2021 Monday, June 28 - Sunday, July 11 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Augme wrote: »
    Match could well be over before they can try the old roof trick.
    Why they start play at 1:30 pm on Centre Court (as opposed to 1 pm) is beyond me. There's about a 50:50 chance the roof will have to be closed for bad light, which is not what the roof is really for. It alters playing conditions significantly. I guess TV money talks.

Murray just doesn't have "it" anymore to hit enough winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Murray should play doubles now. He would win a few titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What the fúck has Dan Evans done to earn a spot on centre court? Murray may be well past his best but he's a two time former champion, he's earned his sentimental spot on the big stage. Dan Evans? Most well known for taking a year off after sniffing a bit of coke. I would be mighty pissed off if I had centre court tickets today and ended up watching that while probably the greatest player ever was over on court 1.

What the fúck has Dan Evans done to earn a spot on centre court? Murray may be well past his best but he's a two time former champion, he's earned his sentimental spot on the big stage. Dan Evans? Most well known for taking a year off after sniffing a bit of coke. I would be mighty pissed off if I had centre court tickets today and ended up watching that while probably the greatest player ever was over on court 1.

Two "Brits" innit.

That's what the crowd wants .... apparently.

That other New Zealander Brit "Cam" Norrie will be there tomorrow surely?

(might even have an increased chance of being the case given that he's playing some old Swiss lad from the masters circuit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Perhaps it makes me a bad Murray fan... but I was quite happy to see Shapovalov getting the win. 4R/QF was always gonna be Murray's optimistic peak here, plus I like Shapovalov a lot. Even if Murray rustled up some kind of 'dream' run to meet Djokovic, he was always losing that in three easy sets. Better to get a couple of matches in here and work towards a decent hard court Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

because he the British number 1 and on paper his match was 50/50 (10/11 each with the bookies) while Novak was 1/100 v a bang average player.

It wasn't a bad call as the Evans game was much more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Panrich

klr87 wrote: »
    Why they start play at 1:30 pm on Centre Court (as opposed to 1 pm) is beyond me. There's about a 50:50 chance the roof will have to be closed for bad light, which is not what the roof is really for. It alters playing conditions significantly. I guess TV money talks.

It used to start at 2pm back in the days before they even had a roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭B2021M

Panrich wrote: »
    It used to start at 2pm back in the days before they even had a roof.

Is the half hour difference between Centre and Number 1 purely down to TV rights? It seems odd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Rjd2 wrote: »
    because he the British number 1 and on paper his match was 50/50 (10/11 each with the bookies) while Novak was 1/100 v a bang average player.

It wasn't a bad call as the Evans game was much more competitive.

If you're only going to put matches you expect to be competitive on centre court then Djokovic won't be playing there til at least the final.

Dan Evans is a nobody. Their jingoistic team GB stuff is usually grating but putting Evans on centre court ahead of Djokovic was just a piss take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭C__MC

I know we have a lot of Murray supporters on here but seeing him lose on centre is always great, even better given it was a hiding

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

B2021M wrote: »
    Is the half hour difference between Centre and Number 1 purely down to TV rights? It seems odd

Was explained on tv the other day, didn't pick up the full gist but covid related anyway. Something like avoiding big build up of crowds outside by staggering the starting times on the show courts. Or along those lines anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭B2021M

Was explained on tv the other day, didn't pick up the full gist but covid related anyway. Something like avoiding big build up of crowds outside by staggering the starting times on the show courts. Or along those lines anyway.

Ah of course....makes sense. Thanks

If you're only going to put matches you expect to be competitive on centre court then Djokovic won't be playing there til at least the final.

Dan Evans is a nobody. Their jingoistic team GB stuff is usually grating but putting Evans on centre court ahead of Djokovic was just a piss take.
    Putting Evans on CC instead of Djokovic made sense for two if not three reasons, all for the benefit of Wimbledon and the BBC: It was going to draw more of a TV audience, and ensure the Murray match started later (also beneficial for prime-time viewing). Thirdly, the Friday afternoon/evening crowd (first week) can get very raucous, so Evans made for a better atmosphere than Djokovic.

Today's CC schedule is ... interesting. Federer as expected, plays second. But Kyrgios/FAA is last on Court 1, not CC. There are two women's matches on CC, for the 3rd time in 6 days. This may be more to do preserving the surface rather than equality, and maybe also because Nadal is missing. But it's really about Gauff, who is the only young women's player known to the general sporting public. Also, Gauff is up first and Barty last, not the other way around. This is because of England vs. Croatia at 8pm, which the BBC is also showing. In that context, Barty vs Siniakova is quite frankly expendable, even though play on CC may finish before 8 pm. Call me cynical ...

the organisers and the BBC know very well that people will be watching the footy this eve in the UK

You know the hype is out-of-control when you have these sort of tabloid "headlines"

E5UiLPrXMAAREFB?format=jpg&name=large

Rain stops play on all courts this morning, who knows for how long. The scheduling again shows whose interest's are paramount. There are some big names in action in the 11 am starts: Kerber, Ostapenko and Berrettini. But these are not the matches that Wimbledon or the BBC wants to exploit (to use the line from The Blues Brothers), which is why they are on early on relatively minor courts.

The break may benefit Kerber, who is 5-1 down to Sasnovich. Kerber is very likely still recovering from that epic against Sorribes Tormo on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭C__MC

I hate the fact we even have a roof, growing up rain delays made it all the more entertaining.
    I'm thinking of the final in 08.

C__MC wrote: »
    I hate the fact we even have a roof, growing up rain delays made it all the more entertaining.

A rain delay and they show a mixed doubles with Watson and Dart. Why not show the one with kyrgios and Williams partnership.

Floppybits wrote: »
    A rain delay and they show a mixed doubles with Watson and Dart. Why not show the one with kyrgios and Williams partnership.

Showing british players on a british channel. I can't for the life of me see why they'd do that.

Showing british players on a british channel. I can't for the life of me see why they'd do that.

Yeah but crap players. Raducanu now being talked up. Poor girl. Has barely been on the tour.

• Advertisement

Yeah but crap players. Raducanu now being talked up. Poor girl. Has barely been on the tour.

I hear you, i think the coverage is aimed partly towards the casual viewer who might be more likely to stay tuned if there's a british player on than a foreign one, no matter how distinguished. Agree on raducanu, but it was always going to be inevitable, hope she can handle it, does look a proper talent.

C__MC wrote: »
    Unless you had to endure Cliff Richard singing. I'd say that was the final straw that finally made them say "OK, we've got to have a roof".

Ostapenka pulling the auld injury timeout when down 4-0 in the third. Tomljanovic's having none of it.

Raducanu is pulling out some unreal shots. Enjoyable match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Ostapenka pulling the auld injury timeout when down 4-0 in the third. Tomljanovic's having none of it.

Yeah Ostapenka not the first to do it, but glad to see her called out as it was so disrespectful.

Happy she is gone for that alone.

What a win for Raducanu. Played a great match. God love her she is going to have to put up with unbelievable hype now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Raducanu is pulling out some unreal shots. Enjoyable match.

Thoroughly deserved. That last point was superb.

The exchange at the end was priceless. Tomljanovic waving to the crowd, Ostapenko going to her bag. Then Ostapenko made a point of waiting at the net to shake hands - which they did:

Aljona at net: You have zero respect. Your behaviour is terrible.
    Ajla: Honestly, you are the one to talk.

Normally when Ostapenko pulls this trick, she's so far out of it that it seems to be more about saving face, i.e. "oh look at me, I'm sick/injured, this is why I'm losing so badly". Mind you, she was 4-0 down at the time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Sue Barker has actually gone quite a few degrees beyond giddy.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Sue Barker has actually gone quite a few degrees beyond giddy.
    It happens. Remember the time Marcus Willis (ranked somewhere in the 700s) played The Fed? I swear she was loaded up on Pimms by 11 in the morning, she was so giggly.

Advertisement