Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2021 Monday, June 28 - Sunday, July 11 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

That Svitolina loss today :rolleyes:

Last four players that she's lost to at the grand slams: Podoroska, Pegula, Krejcikova and Linette. Ok, the Krejcikova one doesn't look so bad in hindsight, but Svitolina really is a most disappointing top 5 player. Annoys me that she's still ranked so high on the basis of her 2019 performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Kerber vs. Sorribes-Tormo goes on ... and on ... and on. Average rally length is over 7.5 shots.

Meanwhile, Ostapenko's serve has gone completely, but in this final set, so has Kasatkina's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Sarribes Tormo takes it to a decider. Great stuff, match really deserved it.

Somehow, and I really don't now how, Ostapenko squeezes past Kasatkina 8-6 in the third. Not just a bullet dodged, but an entire broadside.

Kerber - Sorribes-Tormo is now coming up to 3 hours long, and Kerber opens up some daylight again to lead 4-2.

This is probably the best women's singles match at Wimbledon since Cibulkova beat Radwanska in the 2016 4th round, 9-7 in the 3rd set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

klr87 wrote: »
    Somehow, and I really don't now how, Ostapenko squeezes past Kasatkina 8-6 in the third. Not just a bullet dodged, but an entire broadside.

You missed out on a great 'volley' pun opportunity there.

josip wrote: »
    You missed out on a great 'volley' pun opportunity there.
    :) Damn! My brain is completely fried from simultaneously watching Kerber - Sorribes-Tormo and Ostapenko - Kasatkina.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Delighted Ostapenko pulled out the win! Was just checking in on scores every now again, think Kasatkina had 30-0 on her own serve as she tried serving it out?

Great character here from Sorribes Tormo, love the way she plays, not afraid to come to the net when she gets the chance. That's how i love to see the game played.

Delighted Ostapenko pulled out the win! Was just checking in on scores every now again, think Kasatkina had 30-0 on her own serve as she tried serving it out?
    Correct, she served twice for the match at 5-4 and 6-5, and had 6-5 30-0.

Kerber has just won 7-5 5-7 6-4 against SST, but how much has the extra hour + 20 minutes since her first match point taken out of her?

• Advertisement

That Svitolina loss today :rolleyes:

Last four players that she's lost to at the grand slams: Podoroska, Pegula, Krejcikova and Linette. Ok, the Krejcikova one doesn't look so bad in hindsight, but Svitolina really is a most disappointing top 5 player. Annoys me that she's still ranked so high on the basis of her 2019 performances.
    Svitolina has been quite poor these last few months, from around the time she and Monfils got engaged. Also, Linette is quite handy on grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Kyrgios is such a messer...but in fairness it's great to see someone with a bit of personality, lot of tennis players can be a bit dry.

This Raducanu v Vondroušová match is terrific.
    Her first time playing a top 50 player.
    Took first set...back on serve in second.
    No idea why it is on an outside court.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Kerber - Sorribes-Tormo is now coming up to 3 hours long, and Kerber opens up some daylight again to lead 4-2.

This is probably the best women's singles match at Wimbledon since Cibulkova beat Radwanska in the 2016 4th round, 9-7 in the 3rd set.

Yeah that was great battle. Felt sorry for Tormo in the end, looked bitterly disappointed. Very peculiar looking ball toss she has, but that's just style.

gmisk wrote: »
    Raducanu through 6-2, 6-4
    She is a huge talent and still only 18!

Raducanu through 6-2, 6-4
    She is a huge talent and still only 18!

Vondrousova is a player i don't rate, looks an inferior version of Pliskova to me and i don't rate her too highly either! That said, I'd take nothing away from Raducanu, great victory for her, she might get her go on CC yet!

Djokovic is demoted to Court 1 tomorrow, with Dan Evans effectively taking his place on Centre Court. Maybe the organisers think Evans vs Korda will go on longer than Djokovic vs Kudla (and it probably will), thereby increasing the chances of the roof being closed during the Murray match. Not that they would ever admit to such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭B2021M

Djokovic is demoted to Court 1 tomorrow, with Dan Evans effectively taking his place on Centre Court. Maybe the organisers think Evans vs Korda will go on longer than Djokovic vs Kudla (and it probably will), thereby increasing the chances of the roof being closed during the Murray match. Not that they would ever admit to such a thing.

Haha i'd say you are spot on! I wonder will Norrie v Fed be mysteriously earlier on Sat to avoid Eng v Ukr??

B2021M wrote: »
    Haha i'd say you are spot on! I wonder will Norrie v Fed be mysteriously earlier on Sat to avoid Eng v Ukr??
    Good spot as well. I'd say Barty will play first on Saturday (same as her first two matches, it would be a late night TV slot in Oz), followed by Federer vs Norrie (which should finish well before England vs Ukraine), followed by one of Zverev/Fritz, Berretini/Bedene, or FAA/Kyrgios.

They also might want to have Federer on earlier to reduce the chances of him playing under the roof. Can't have the Fed slipping and injuring himself, that would never do. Federer himself would probably also prefer an afternoon match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Neither are big names to be fair.

I assume Rad will get a main court on Saturday.

Looking at today's games, not seen much of Samsonova so interesting to see how she does v Sloane who when in the zone is very good against big hitters.

Mugu has had a few easy games so far so her v Jabeur also very interesting as obviously Jabeur a huge step up in quality.

Keys v Mertens 50/50 with the bookies which is correct , can't pick a winner although if Keys is anywhere near her peak she should win easily but obviously a big if.

On the men's side , Evans v Korda will be good, Shapo should handle Murray easily enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,162 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fed is not going too much further I feel, and no chance vs Nole in the QFs

Very laboured match vs Gasquet. Gasquet looked like a 70 yer old on the court.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Kygrios certainly playing well, however long that will last. For sure he's the best talent of the last decade. Shame he didn't like the job so much. All the lost gen, next gen; he could eat them alive any day if he really felt like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Kyrgios is such a messer...but in fairness it's great to see someone with a bit of personality, lot of tennis players can be a bit dry.

Exactly, don't particularly like him or his crazy family, but he does make it all more interesting and I love hearing him muttering to himself in the match in that aussie accent !! :D

Has to be the best **** talking accent....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

walshb wrote: »
    Fed is not going too much further I feel, and no chance vs Nole in the QFs

Very laboured match vs Gasquet. Gasquet looked like a 70 yer old on the court.

Wouldn;t count him out, he'll get better as the tournament moves on, also he may as well be British with that crowd ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Wouldn;t count him out, he'll get better as the tournament moves on, also he may as well be British with that crowd ...

In the 2012 final who were the crowd rooting (non Aussie meaning) for ?

Tough match for muguruza here. Jabeur 2/15 on break points which looking likely right now to be her undoing. Good character from mug, though.

Not watching but samsonova-stephens looks like a good battle.

Tough match for muguruza here. Jabeur 2/15 on break points which looking likely right now to be her undoing. Good character from mug, though.

Samsonova got a bit nervous, but took it on her 3rd MP. She's now won 10 matches in a row on grass: 2x Berlin qualifying, 5x Berlin main draw (winning Berlin got her the wild card into Wimbledon), and now 3 more.

Jabeur just isn't ruthless enough at times, but her game is a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Fun match indeed. Samsonova's level dipped in the second set but nonetheless some very big hitting indeed.

Don't expect many long rallies v Pliskova on Monday.

Jabeur holds from 0-40 down to take the second set.

• Advertisement

Samsonova got a bit nervous, but took it on her 3rd MP. She's now won 10 matches in a row on grass: 2x Berlin qualifying, 5x Berlin main draw (winning Berlin got her the wild card into Wimbledon), and now 3 more.

Jabeur just isn't ruthless enough at times, but her game is a joy to watch.

Counted 18 bounces on one of samsonova's preps at mp, clearly tightened but got it done.

Huge fan of jabeur, what she's achieved given where she's come from. Bit more clinical here and she could be home and hosed here already. Amazing drop shots and the spin she gets on them. Hard to call this match now.

Advertisement