Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wimbledon 2021 Monday, June 28 - Sunday, July 11 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

glasso wrote: »
    certainly he doesn't seem to be too focused on tennis at the moment with particular gripes about the bubble but at least he put up resistance in the first 2 sets (6-3, 6-4) and not sure how it's worse as a spectacle than the multiple 49 minutes (Sakkari vs Rus) to 1 hour couple minute matches seen on the ladies side in the first round.
    It's not a question of whether a particular match was a spectacle or a contest. If it were, then on the men's side, countless opponents of the Big 3 over the years could have been fined for losing heavily. Likewise many opponents of (say) Serena Williams during her really dominant years. Paire may (should) get into trouble because he visibly gave up when he was a set from defeat.

I looked at the details of that Sakkari-Rus match, and of their two previous meetings, both of which Sakkari also won in straight sets (clay in Istanbul, medium-speed hard court in Miami). Basically, the faster the surface, the more Sakkari dominates, because of her much superior serve. Rus couldn't get a look-in on the Sakkari serve yesterday, but was much more competitive on her own serve, in terms of points won at least. On clay, she won the majority of points on her serve, and made inroads into the Sakkari serve, but not quite enough.

It bears out what I said a couple of days ago, about many women not getting many easy games on their own serve. Where neither player has a dominant serve in an even match-up, then literally every point counts, and that's where the longest and most tiring women's matches come from. That can happen as much as Wimbledon as anywhere else, as there are many women without "big" serves. Already in the women's draw, there's been an 11-9 third set, a 10-8, a 9-7 and an 8-6, and the first round isn't completed yet.

I remember a match at the 2015 US Open, where Federer beat Kohlschreiber 6-3 6-4 6-4, but scored only 5 points more overall. Yet he was always in clear control of the match.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Floppybits wrote: »
    What is the story with Paire? This is not the first time he has done this. If he doesn't want to be there then just withdraw

What I don't understand is how he keeps getting admitted to tournaments.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I love watching Paire when he's interested and playing, as he is very entertaining. If he doesn't want to play he should let someone else have his place. Kyrgios very unhappy with how slow the grass is playing. I wonder if it's a combination of this and how slippy it is underfoot that has affected ND and Fed in their matches. Fed seems to go completely off the boil in the 2nd and 3rd set. We''ll see how bad it is for ND, he's walking out now. Berrettini just gone through in 4 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

What is the story with Paire? This is not the first time he has done this. If he doesn't want to be there then just withdraw

He's just counting his millions with Tomic

Rob2D wrote: »
    What I don't understand is how he keeps getting admitted to tournaments.

he won't when his ranking slips down outside the range for application

the top ranked 104 players who apply get in (so if 56 doesn't apply then 105 gets in if applies etc)

his ranking of 46 is easily enough to get him into the GS tournaments taking into account that there are 128 players in the first round

• Advertisement

klr87 wrote: »
    It's not a question of whether a particular match was a spectacle or a contest. If it were, then on the men's side, countless opponents of the Big 3 over the years could have been fined for losing heavily. Likewise many opponents of (say) Serena Williams during her really dominant years. Paire may (should) get into trouble because he visibly gave up when he was a set from defeat.

I looked at the details of that Sakkari-Rus match, and of their two previous meetings, both of which Sakkari also won in straight sets (clay in Istanbul, medium-speed hard court in Miami). Basically, the faster the surface, the more Sakkari dominates, because of her much superior serve. Rus couldn't get a look-in on the Sakkari serve yesterday, but was much more competitive on her own serve, in terms of points won at least. On clay, she won the majority of points on her serve, and made inroads into the Sakkari serve, but not quite enough.

It bears out what I said a couple of days ago, about many women not getting many easy games on their own serve. Where neither player has a dominant serve in an even match-up, then literally every point counts, and that's where the longest and most tiring women's matches come from. That can happen as much as Wimbledon as anywhere else, as there are many women without "big" serves. Already in the women's draw, there's been an 11-9 third set, a 10-8, a 9-7 and an 8-6, and the first round isn't completed yet.

I remember a match at the 2015 US Open, where Federer beat Kohlschreiber 6-3 6-4 6-4, but scored only 5 points more overall. Yet he was always in clear control of the match.

indeed but I'd rather watch that than the Sakkari-Rus effective walkover

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

his ranking of 46 is easily enough to get him into the GS tournaments taking into account that there are 128 players in the first round

Yeah but I mean if I was a tournament director I'd just say no. He's not gonna come here and waste our time. Surely they have some kind of right to refuse admission or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭Floppybits

A 5 setter for Kyrgios if he comes through this it will test his fitness. Imagine what a force he would be if put in 50% more effort off the court.

A 5 setter for Kyrgios if he comes through this it will test his fitness. Imagine what a force he would be if put in 50% more effort off the court.

He was saying earlier how he fancied a beer ....

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Grr, have to endure Kyrgios for another couple of rounds or so. Although one small tiny saving grace of the pandemic is not having to see his weird family bouncing up and down in the players box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,702 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Possible huge upset in woman's side of things.
    Katie Boulter has taken the first set against Sabalenka.
    World number 219 versus, world number 4 and number 2 seed

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Not sure it'd be that big of an upset tbh, Sabalenka always finds a way to lose at the slams.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

She has some power, but not sure what else. Not much finesse and you get the feeling she's on verge of exploding on just about every point.

Pity Kyrgios and Djokovic are not in a similar part of the draw.

Would have been fun to see Djokovic crush him with Kyrgios losing the plot mid-match especially given Kyrgios called Djokovic "a tool" earlier this year.

Talk about pot, kettle, Messier 87 supermassive black hole

Yes, I can't stand Djokovic but I can't wait for him to rip Kyrgios a new asshole next time they play. Kyrgios still proudly clings to his 2-0 h2h, despite the fact that they haven't played in over four years and Nick never makes it far enough in most draws to play Djokovic.

Whats with the link to M87 ?

Whats with the link to M87 ?

It's a supermassive black hole

pot kettle black

Krygios - asshole

Yes, I can't stand Djokovic but I can't wait for him to rip Kyrgios a new asshole next time they play. Kyrgios still proudly clings to his 2-0 h2h, despite the fact that they haven't played in over four years and Nick never makes it far enough in most draws to play Djokovic.

both wins coming during Djokovic's martial issues / meltdown / injury hiatus period when he fell to 22 in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Augme

Another medical time out the rescue.

Well I wouldn't asterisk the wins either, Kyrgios is always up for a crack at a top player. But needless to say if they were bumping into each other more often then I think Djokovic would have him figured out pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,702 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

gmisk wrote: »
    Possible huge upset in woman's side of things.
    Katie Boulter has taken the first set against Sabalenka.
    World number 219 versus, world number 4 and number 2 seed
    Sabalenka came back to win 6-3 in third...Boulter missed so so many break points at 3-4 (I think I counted 5)

Sabalenka not impressive at all to me for a second seed

Evans pretty comfortable so far against Lajovic

• Registered Users Posts: 28,615 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Murray down a break in the second set.... have a feeling he might be running out of steam a bit.

If the German holds his nerve, I'd very much fancy him for this match.

indeed but I'd rather watch that than the Sakkari-Rus effective walkover
    I would as well, but given a choice, I'd much rather watch some other match that was genuinely competitive, regardless of who it involved. Which is what I normally do in the early stages of any big event. Only if there's some concern about the form or fitness of one of the Big 3, or if they unexpectedly run into trouble, would I switch to their match.

Very hard to see Andy winning a 5 setter here.

The "shocks" are beginning to materialise on the women's side, except some of them are not really shocks at all (such as Kenin and Andreescu losing). There is a case for Wimbledon applying a special seeding formula that rewards prowess on grass, the same way they do with the men. While the women's seedings can be manually adjusted, this is done very rarely, and only ever seems to happen "upwards": A player will get moved down a place in the seeding only because someone else leapfrogged over them.

Augme wrote: »
    Very hard to see Andy winning a 5 setter here.
    He's probably hoping the roof gets closed ASAP. It would give him time to regroup, and the change in conditions might suit him.

klr87 wrote: »
    He's probably hoping the roof gets closed ASAP. It would give him time to regroup, and the change in conditions might suit him.

I would have thought so too but he seemed quite unhappy with the suggestion to close it at the end of the last set. You'd think the break would do him good. Like in the first round match.

Murray has a heavy fall, takes it where it really hurts.

Augme wrote: »
    I would have thought so too but he seemed quite unhappy with the suggestion to close it at the end of the last set. You'd think the break would do him good. Like in the first round match.
    Strange indeed. He may not have any choice though. Matches are being suspended for darkness on the outer courts, and there is less natural light on Centre Court, especially since the roof was installed.

• Advertisement

... and at 2-2 in the 4th, the roof is indeed being closed.

Advertisement