Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

I don't think that either is greatly different to each other. Had Galway come through I would have feared them more. Waterford I feel are always a streaky team, they get runs on you here and there in a game and score heavily in patches (I've no factual basis for this, others might) Cork keep clipping away. With Cork's new found fondness for going for goals they're a more dangerous animal.

I thought in the league game against them we totally dominated the second half, we should have bet 'em out the gate but they broke through for a goal and a couple of points and we ended up in a draw.

Personally I think Cork would be slightly the better draw, but I don't think there's much in it.

I didn't see either game yesterday but you can see Cahill's fingerprints on Waterford. Moving Shane Bennet to centre back, not a natural centre back but a tigerish championship hurler, over two years moving the team to all really hard workers, it has all the hall marks of a Cahill team. Pacy and direct, would love to see him in the Tipp job.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

whoever we get it’s going to be Tough for tipp to win

boht cork and Waterford will want tipp as that gives them to access to opposite side of Limerick

Maybe It would be more fitting if it’s Waterford that send us out

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Agree , would rather Cork. Would expect Waterford to beat dublin. Could Waterford take down Limerick ? , I’d reckon they could. Will have studied how Tipp opened them up and they certainly would have the legs to keep it going. Will have to wait and see . I think we’d be well able for cork . Apart from the second half V limerick, have we not showed great fight and battling qualities this championship ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Obviously being down to 14 men compounded it, but i still think Waterford have a tendency to be undermanned up front and that might suit us, if it turned out that way. When Pauric gets space and plenty of possession we often do well and it gives a lift. But we'd still have to compete around the middle third. I'd be 50-50ish about it.

I'm generally good with Cork because they're a clean, good hurling side and usually let you play your game and it comes down to whether you're good enough. Don't get too caught up on tactics, though we know they are going to try and expose us with speed and running through our back line. It was an exciting game yesterday but i didn't think the quality was exceptional or anything. No guarantees but I'd make tipp slight favourites to win that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

Both possible opponents would be tough but I'd take Waterford. They ran through is in the last 40 mins of the league but if we are caught like that a second time that's on us. They were poor against Laois and Galway were dire for 55 mins yesterday. Third week out in a row won't help them either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I'd rather Cork, they are the weaker side out of the two but think our lads will get a bigger lift from beating them than beating Waterford, just because of who they are.

Think we'll win that with a few points to spare.

Cork have been afraid of us for a long time, like we were of them for a few years around the early/mid 00's. They always let us play our game and (2017 aside) even when we are hitting wides for fun like last year or when we let them run up a big lead with the first half like 2018 - we have had their number for a long time.

We have lads that have been in must win situations and come through them so many times. They have lads that have flopped every time they met those situations.

I'd be more worried about Waterford but we would have enough for them over the 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

They've picked themselves up twice under Sheedy to win two All-Irelands.

Where have I suggested that Sunday is part of a master plan?

More baseless anger-led logic without evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

History has shown that we recover well from humiliating defeats and bad setbacks. It's not opinion, it's fact.

Some on here are too bruised by a game that nobody might care about in a few weeks time.

There's no point talking or obsessing over changes to the panel - those will inevitably happen after this year. Sheedy/Teneo will go, probably Cahill will come in and there isn't a better man to bring through the younger players. Give Cahill 3-4 years if he wants to oversee the rebuild.

But for now, our players have been in this position time and time again. They are proven winners and they can win again. I see no reason why we won't be playing Limerick again in a few weeks time. Hopefully we will have learnt lessons from the last game.

because Cahill ending sheedys and tipps year followed by hopefully making another final for himself and Waterford put severe pressure in tipp county board to finally do what they should have done in 2019

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I'm not sure I'd agree we have been in this position time and time again. In 2019, losing the Munster did almost no harm to our chances of winning the AI, we had Dublin or Laois in the QF. 2010 after losing to Cork we had games against very poor Wexford and Offaly sides and again probably did no real harm to our chances of winning the AI.

There is no doubt whatsoever we lessened our chances of winning the AI quite significantly by losing the Munster Final this year. To win it, we now will have to come through Cork/Waterford, KK and Limerick which will take some doing.

Having said that, I do think we have the beating of anyone bar Limerick on any given day and if we recover ok from the MF, we have a decent chance of getting to an AI

My preference in the draw is for Cork, would just be worried about the athleticism of the Waterford team and think we would cope better with Cork.

Regardless of that Cahill should have got the job in 2019 and if he had tipp would be in a better place overall

cahill got an only average Waterford to an all Ireland last year and If he gets tipp next week will get Waterford to another final this year

Cahill is an excellent manager who does not care about reputations, he only wants to win.

You are going back as far as 2010 in one instance when we had a young profile and were caught on the hop by Cork first round. 2019 was arguably the last hurrah for a lot of that team in terms of being automatic starters anyway. The team needed refreshing after 2019. It's criminal we are in this position two years later. You can only play a hand so many times.

You keep referring to previous years, completely ignoring the fact that the core of the team are in their thirties now. There is only so many times you can go back to the well. It was negligence on the managements part not to freshen things up after 2019.

And Waterford it is

i only saw the highlights but Waterford look a team who will be too young, strong, fast and with higher energy levels for tipp to handle

could be a blow out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would have preferred Cork. Thought Waterford were very good at the weekend but still almost got caught by a awful Galway team that done nothing for 50 minutes.

You'd be hoping that third game on the bounce would take its toll eventually but will Liam Cahill involved you can be sure this will be a war. Kilkenny in the semi if we can get past them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Correct me if I'm wrong but no young player has broken into the team in Sheedys 3 years. Given our age profile and the successful underage teams we've had that would have to raise a few red flags.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No young player?

That's just plain wrong.

Who is Barry Hogan? Who is Jake Morris?

Mark Kehoe has been given chances. A number have been given many chances in the league and as subs in the championship- Byrne, Cadell, Quirke, Cian Darcy, Jerome Cahill, Brian McGrath. The Flynns were given a lot of game time since Sheedy has come in, way more than before.

Sheedy has continually looked for new blood.

It's a myth he hasn't. People with an agenda or just blindly trying to support an argument that's not true, argue he hasn't.

He can't make players take ownership of the jersey. They have to take the jersey and keep it when given the chance.

Sheedy did freshen things up after 2019. If my memory serves me right - Three players who didn't start the ALL-IRELAND final started. Kehoe, Morris, and Flynn in midfield.

Tell me the brilliant performances that have gone ignored?

I see young players learning their trade at senior level and trying to get to the pitch of it. But I don't see anyone who has deserved to nail a place really. Apart from Jake morris.

Just out of interest, tell me how many 19/20 years have broken into inter county teams and play every game in the last two years? And you don't have to pick a successful team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

Very true. I'd love to have seen 2-3 young lads breaking through but reality is they missed almost an entire year of hurling last year and that's hurt us. Same for everyone of course, but our lads really could have done with it. O'Mara injury was very inopportune too, he was definitely well in the mix when that happened.

I hope we don't go down the road of detailing Dan to someone and tying up his game to marking someone.

He has far too much to offer with his own possession game to be running around after someone. They put him on Lyons in the league - hope they don't this time around.

Ideally you want someone who makes constant runs into the full forward line - get Lyons running at his own goal, not ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

It's not just Tipp either. Galway have been affected by it too. Counties at the end of a cycle have been put out big time the last 18 months or so.

For a team with a younger profile like Limerick it's business as usual.

Tipp need to be smart with space against Waterford - they need to make sure that Waterford are running into channels that they've created and not the channels that Waterford want to run into. Ideally, Tipp need to crowd the center and the goal area. Show Waterford the wings and make them shoot from there.

I don't think Tipp need to start out defensively, but if Waterford are running and running at us, we need to try to keep the scoreboard ticking over, stay with them on the scoreboard, and once it hits 45/50 mins freshen things up with legs (O'Meara, Flynn, Kehoe, Breen, Connolly) and really go at them in that last bit of the third quarter and the last quarter.

I wonder if Willie Connors's energy is better off the bench? Possible starters? Cadell, Robert Byrne, (Maybe Brian McGrath at center back with Dan screening in front)

I wonder if Bryan O'Mara is right yet?

I'll give you Barry Hogan but Jake had broken into the team under Mick Ryan.

That's not much to show for 3 years given how strong our underage teams were. These lads aren't 19/20 anymore a lot of them are 22/23/24 now.

You might not be understanding me, i'm not criticizing or blaming Sheedy what i'm saying is that these young lads for whatever reason have stopped developing and progressing and that's something i'd be worried about as a good few of the players are over 30 and won't be around for ever.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Jake had a few sub appearances. Certainly wasn't in the team.

People on here seem to think that because you've won a few underage titles that you're going to rock into a senior inter county team. Doesn't work like that.

Loads of lads being developed. And the reality is, most won't make it. That's just the way it is. The team Sheedy brought along in 2010 was exceptional. How many went on into the team 5 or 6? Also they were coming into a team that hadn't success in nearly 10 years. 5 ot 6 from one team is the exception. Sheedy had no problem playing teenagers then because they performed.

For those that do make it, it will take time, if they do make it. That's hurling.

WHo is 23/24 that hasn't made the team and who is to blame? But that's just what happens. Most successful underage players, never mind unsuccessful, don't make the senior grade. That's the way it's always been, and alway will.

Also, a few of fine hurlers make it "late" - 27/28.

All Sheedy can do is give them a chance and they can take it or not. Quirke when he came on against Clare, struggled to rise the ball. I'm not pointing fingers at him or anyone. But senior is pressure and it will take players time to adapt if they do.

A lot of posters, not saying you, are pointing the finger at Sheedy for this. It doesn't make sense. They'll be blaming Sheedy for the knockavilla transfer saga next.

Waterford v Tipperary at 1.30pm in Cork, on RTÉ

7,000 attendance?

• Advertisement

Positives are tipp have played in cork this championship and Waterford are going in as favourites

that does give tipp a chance

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I think we'd be wise to look back at what Clare did to stifle this Waterford running game.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'm not sure Waterford will put as much pressure on our puck outs as Limerick did, at least once they got it together. That, in theory, should enable Barry to vary it a bit more. Those bombs going down on the full back lines are ok once in a while but they favour the backs too much and give running teams like Waterford too many chances to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

It will be an interesting team announcement for this one. Anyone heard anything about ticket availability

Waterford 13/8 sweet Jesus that looks good. I would never bet against tipp but my missus might put a 100 on the blahs.

• Advertisement

Link for the game tonight

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Minors getting hockeyed at half time, dreadfull first half performance 1. 14 to 5 pints at the break. Waterford full value for their lead.

An absolute disgrace.

since 2017 our Minors have been getting worse and worse in standard, that’s 5 years on very poor standard ,2019 was a brutal standard but that tonight amazingly has topped it

a new famine could be coming our way unless the county board get their finger out.

very worrying stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

What would you suggest county board do to change things? From when the county squads starts at under 14 all the way through to minor?

• Advertisement

Waterford's use of possession was much better than ours, played good ball into their forward line. They definitely had the best 3-4 individuals on the field as well as looking better coached. Their sweeper was exactly what you'd expect a sweeper to be; bizarrely we didn't appear to have a free man at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kefflin

When I'm watching underage matches in tipp. I always feel the standard of players is top class can't understand why we havent had decent minor teams lately

Liam Cahill's results as the manager of the minor team in his first year:

Limerick 3-17 - 2-11 Tipperary

Clare 1-23 - 0-12 Tipperary

first recognise the game is professional in all but name

then from under 14 work on getting the best players the very best strength and conditioning and coaching that money will buy

have no doubt Limerick cork Galway and Kilkenny are Doing that

yet again tipp always seem behind the curve

And what did Liam say was holding back tipp hurling

• Football and the dual players
    • Underage not being taken serious with regards s and c and professional training.

anyone who knows Liam Cahill knows he is a true hurling man who wants tipp to be the power house they could be

cahill was very disheartened he did not get the gig in 2019 . Expect Waterford players to bring his resentment and anger into Saturdays game

they are favourites and I think they will beat us and give Limerick enough of it too in the final

My point was Woodlock can turn it around. People have to start somewhere.

I don't see how what you're saying is relevant to my post.

I get your a Liam Cahill supporter, waiting for Tipp to lose so Liam Cahill can get the job. You don't have to keep banging the drum. You've been on here before. Same story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

When you say recognise the game is pro in all but name what exactly dom you mean by that?

Is it really strength and conditioning thats the issue or is it more and who are these coaches that you would be getting in and how would you be developing these coaches as well? You need to be getting the coaches in the clubs and the schools to be better if you really want improvements at inter county and that means more coaching courses, coaching meet ups etc.

Published in 2018

Premier Plan: Towards 2020

Coaching and Games Development There are currently five people working full-time in Coaching and Games Development in Tipperary. The role of the GDA has changed considerably in recent times and there must be a realisation and acceptance that this role will change even further as Tipperary GAA continues to evolve, change and be proactive in tackling the many challenges facing our organisation. The original employee worked mainly as a Primary School Coach. While this is still an important part of his work schedule, the duties have broadened considerably to the extent that the modern GDA is now very much an organiser, coordinator and educator, as well as a coach. Flexibility and mobility is very important as the GDA continues to support the large volunteer sector working on the ground. While most of the employee’s work is within their allocated area, at times they are required to assist with county/provincial events and activities. With Croke Park, Munster GAA and County Board investing heavily in this area, it is vitally important that a thoroughly professional approach is taken by all concerned, thus ensuring the best possible product is delivered. The quality of delivery by the GDAs is vital to the success of all programmes. The GDA’s work can be categorised under one or more of the following National Key Areas: 1. Games Opportunities (Child) 2. Games Opportunities (Youth) 3. School Initiatives 4. Camps 5. Talent Academies 6. Learning & Development GDA’s Main Area of Work Within the above key areas the following are the areas of responsibility to be covered by the GDA during the year.  Club Development (Admin & Planning)  Primary Schools  Post Primary Schools  Academies  Camp Programme  Go Games Blitzes/Leagues  Super Games Centres Intra/Inter/Fixed and Open Premier Plan: Towards 2020 10  Skills Tests  Adult Club Development  Coach and Referee Education  Planning and Reporting (MIS & TMS)  Promotion & Publicity Games Development Administrators’ Allocated Regions GDA Allocated Area Contact Andy Ryan Mid Tipperary + Killenaule, Ballinahinch, Newport and Sean Treacys 087-9090985 andy.ryan.gda.tipperary@gaa.ie Paudie Malone North Tipperary 087-9698153 paudie.malone.gda.tipperary@gaa.ie Kevin Halley West Tipperary + Cahir, Fethard and Clerihan 086-1925188 kevin.halley.gda.tipperary@gaa.ie Colm Canning South Tipperary 083-1243725 colm.canning.gda.tipperary@gaa.ie In the 2010-2015 County Strategic Plan, a wide range of activities was included. Many of these have now been subsumed into the operational side of coaching and games development. Examples would be “Go Games” and “Camps” which are now central to our operation. For the 2018-2020 plan we are concentrating mainly on two areas: Resources/Manpower and Youth Player Development. As the work load increases, the demand on the GDAs has grown hugely. Currently, staff is at maximum in terms of workload. In spite of efforts to streamline and organise work around the key project areas it is still proving very difficult to avoid the fire-fighting effect that the workload always seems to throw up. While the staff is completely committed to their roles the danger with this type of pressure is that standards might drop and quality of work produced is not up to the mark. In this plan, changes are suggested to the running of the Primary School coaching scheme and how it operates. Also suggested is the employment of extra full time and part time personnel. We feel this is necessary to keep standards up and to cater for all programmes across the key areas. A significant drop out (58%) occurs from 13 to 21 years of age. While there are a number of factors causing this, lack of perceived ability, loss of interest, lack of game time to mention a few, we must try to avert some of the drop out. Recent surveys tell us that games and the availability of playing opportunity is a major factor in players giving up. In the plan we propose to implement strategies, through the provision of extra games opportunities, to alleviate some, if not all, of the fall off in playing numbers. Premier Plan: Towards 2020 11 Findings in the Strategic Plan Survey, from a games development point of view, provided vital information: 90% of clubs have a coach in their Primary Schools 70% of clubs provide other resources to the Primary Schools. 60% of clubs provide no assistance to the Post Primary sector. Over 80% of clubs appoint their officers at the AGM while mentors and selectors are appointed in the same manner in 50% of clubs. Officers select team mentors in 40% of clubs. There is a very obvious lack of real connect between the juvenile club and the adult club. When asked what number of games per year would be considered adequate for juvenile players, all clubs agreed that 14 would be the minimum number required for each age group. 55% of clubs agreed that the club minor age should revert to 17 in line with county and that each subsequent age should drop one year. Over 95% of clubs run coaching courses and other coach education events each year. This is very healthy from a games development point of view. Objective: Increase participation and improve playing standards. Action Responsibility Timescale Outcome Primary Schools:  Primary School Coaching Recording System  Restructuring of Primary School Coaching Scheme  GAA ‘Get Fit 4 Fun’ Programme / 5 Star Centres GM/GDA/CGC GM/GDA/CGC Co. Comm. GM/GDA/CGC Sept 2017 /Jan 2018 Jan 2018 /Dec 2020 Sept 2018 /Dec 2020 Electronically based recording and monitoring system to streamline and manage reporting of coaching scheme Consolidate scheme by employing full-time coaches on a part-time basis in schools. Child Physical Competence through Gaelic Games Post Primary Schools:  GAA Post Primary Support Groups  Post Primary “Football Development” Project  Restructure U14 Football Blitz (Rockwell) GM/GDA/CGC Co. Comm GM/GDA/CGC Football Comm GM/GDA/CGC Jan 2018/Dec 2020 March/April 2018 May 2018 Code specific Support Groups in Post Primary School in the County. Promotion and develop standard of Gaelic Football at Youth level. More beneficial series of competitive games for the age bracket. Premier Plan: Towards 2020 12  Post Primary School Transition Year Programme. GM/GDA Sept 2018 Qualify this cohort of students to assist with GAA Development in schools and clubs Fixtures Planning:  Designated day per age group  Integrate Munster and County CGD Fixtures into Div/County Fixtures Co./Div CCC/ Co. Comm Co./Div CCC/ Co. Comm/ GM/GDA March 2018 March 2018 Smoother running of our championships across each age group To allow clubs the opportunity to participate in all available competitions/blitzes Games Opportunities: Child  Premier Go Games Club Blitz Programme  Premier Go Games School Blitz Programme  Winter Games Programme  U11 Premier Leagues GDA/Volunteer Army GDA/ Teachers/TY Students GM/GDA/ Clubs GM/GDA/CGC Annually March to October Annually Sept to June Annually November/Feb March/October Two blitz opportunities in each club for each age group per month. Provide extra appropriate games opportunities to compliment Cumman na mBunscoil. Offer games opportunities to clubs during Winter months. Provision of Hurling and Football games for all clubs on a weekly fixtures programme. Games Opportunities: Youth  Winter Games Programme  Premier Super Game Centres  Initiate Youth County Leagues GM/GDA/ Clubs GM/GDA GM/GDA/ Co BNG/ Co & Div Boards Annually Nov - Feb Annually SeptMarch Jan 2018- Dec 2020 Offer games opportunities to clubs during Winter months. Additional games for youth players in each division Players at youth level will receive a cluster of meaningful games Premier Plan: Towards 2020 13 Camps  Implement a Youth Camp Programme  Consolidate Easter/Summer Camps GM/GDA GM/GDA Jan 2018 Jan 2018 Extend camp opportunities to youth players Maintain current club and participant numbers Coach Education  Club Coach Pathway  Club Coaching Community of Learning  Club Youth Coach Knowledge Transfer Group  Annual County Coaching Seminar GM/GDA GM/GDA GM/GDA/ Tutors GM/GDA Jan 2018-Dec 2020 Jan 2018 Feb 2018 Annually Feb Coaches will have come through a systematic coach education programme in their club Knowledge transfer between coaches in the club Knowledge transfer between coaches county based Up skill and educate coaches on specific topics Academy  3 rd level student placement  Appoint Recruitment officers in both codes  Rookie Squad GM/GDA/ CGD/LIT GM/GDA/Co. Comm GM/GDA/Co. Comm Jan 2018 Oct 2017 To formally introduce an LIT student placement initiative to complement development in the areas of Academy, Primary, Post Primary and Coach level. Appointment of top quality mentors/coaches to Academy squads Provide development pathway for non county U21 players Club Development  Player/Coach/ Club Officer Pathway  Club 2020 Youth Coach Development  Annual Club Workshop/Seminar Programme GM/GDA/Co Dev Comm/Co. Comm. GM/GDA/Co Dev Comm/Co. Comm GM/GDA/Co Dev Jan 2018 Jan 2018 Jan 2018 Clear avenue for development of the three strands Through a proper club/youth coach philosophy lead to a reduction in the fall off at youth level Dedicated series of workshops/seminars aimed at specific coach//player groups to further compliment the coach education programme.

my point is gaa year on year goes more and more professional. Going back to Kerry in the 70s and 80s and even Tipps ending of the famine was done mainly through injection of a lot of money, people don’t like to admit that though

in all professional sports it’s the wealthiest that ultimately win

My point is simple. hurling is now a game where strength and conditioning and speed are more important then skill - sure sign of professionalism. Hurling is now more physical then it ever has been

Tipp don’t have the money to fund both codes fully , that’s the reality and as long as we do so we will continue to underperform underage in both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement