Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Thats all well and good Joe, but surely FoFo is in a far better position to know what our best 15 is as opposed to the collective knowledge of Liam Sheedy, Tommy Dunne, Daragh Egan, Eoin Kelly and Eammon O'Shea?
    1373 wrote: »
    It’s ****e like this , that ends most forums. By the way Tipp looks like a similar outfit to last year so I’d expect a similar ending. At least John and Noel are better rested heading into this year
    Considering its not long since you said that there were Tipp players in the match day squad that wouldnt trouble a club team, you would be a fair judge of ''****e' :D
    And I stand by that . But you seem to forget the meaning of Gaa Discussion. It means people are allowed to give their opinions without being ridiculed because you’re opinions are different. Two of Tipps starting forwards tomorrow, have not big games with their clubs in a number of years, and that’s in my opinion
    Which two??
    Work it out yourself , you seem to live on this page
    Very hard to work it out when its complete and utter boll*x, you said you wanted a discussion so either name them or shut it.
    You just can’t stop proving me right
    Name them and have the courage of your convictions, either that or you are just a wum throwing mud at intercounty players.

Is that you Jim Bolger??
    formerlyET wrote: »
    Don't feed the trolls, lads. You'll end up filling the thread with ambiguous, pointless nonsense.
    who are you classifying as trolls?

what is it about social media which makes people think they can say what they want about someone, when in the real world they wouldn't dare say anything like that to someone's face.
    look work away if it makes you happy in the real world.

anyway i hope tipp win tomorrow and win the all ireland and i am proven to be complete spoofer.
    but when the year ends badly just like last year i wont come on here and say i told you so. there wont be any need because it will be quiet clear why we failed and it will be the same reason as last year. A failure to inject new blood especially in midfield and at full back.
    This is you a little over a month ago - Did Liam stop putting sugar in your coffee?:

09-05-2021, 11:34 #9799
    FoFo1254122
    Adverts | Friends
    personally i think barrett bubbles and john mcgrath have plenty left in them if they so wish.
    regardless we will go close this year and the future is bright.
    sheedy knows he has to adapt how we play - i liked the withdrawing everyone to the middle when limerick pucked out.

09-05-2021, 10:22 #9796
    FoFo1254122
    Adverts | Friends
    i came across liam sheedy professionally while he worked at bank of ireland.
    liam sheedy will use whatever he can to win - whether thats lovely hurlers or beasts, players he knows very well or liam cahills U20 players , sheedy wont care
    last year losing by a whisker to galway who themselves lost to limerick by a whisker is no embarrassment,

what killed us last year in my opinion was john mcgrath and bubbles not showing up. i love how both hurl and when they bring it together on match day Tipp cannot be stopped
    For me Tipps four most important players are barrett john mcgrath bubbles and callinan
    if sheedy can get all 4 humming this year we will win the all ireland.
    FoFo1254122 is online now Report Post
    (2) thanks from:
    PeggyShippen, tipp_Gunner

Mod Warning

Please get back on topic.

No more uncivil posts,accusations of trolling.

This is indeed a discussion thread and all posters deserve to be treated with respect,ditto players.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I live a mile away from Anthony Daly , often over the years the topic of 93 has been brought up but any time I asked him about Nicky laughing I got no response

It was a tool by Daly to spur Clare on back in the day , English was and is still one of the most gracious hurling men around he was the scape goat

I remember a league encounter in ennis around 97-98 time. John Leahy was taking a line ball, taking his time about it and just as a momentary lull went around the ground, a very lusty "come on ya little b****x" came roaring out of Daly, standing about 10 feet away! It really broke the tension of which there was a lot in the stadium that night.

I think Daly, in the spirit of loughnane, would do whatever it took to win, they'd been "whipping boys" too long, as they put it. But off the field i never heard a bad word about him, always came across a very fair and decent chap.

For a clareman of course ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Hopefully we're headed in the right direction - full attendance of these games.

Looking forward to today. I've missed it.

Exceptional players, managers, and coaching on both sides. Exceptional people involved. Some of the best players to pick up a hurl are playing today. You can tell I'm excited. Almost emotional. Over a game! I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Not bad for a bunch of auld lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭farmerval

Great win. We left 4-5 late points behind us. Clare's bizarre tactics in the second half helped.
    Awfully disappointing with John McGrath. Otherwise I think everyone contributed.
    We were lucky with the Barry Heffernan foul near the end, would have been easier for the ref to give it.
    Bubbles was magic, such great wrists.
    Really funny, in the first half at times the Clare players individually made Tipp look very slow yet they never got a run on them in the second half.
    Seamie and the full back had some battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Daly spitting fire is the highlight of the day to be honest :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

What a bizarre game. We were very rusty in the 1st half, but were also very unlucky to be down at half time (2nd year in a row where a blocked shot for a pount has ended up in the net on us). Having said that, we seemed to do our best to lose when on top, missed lots of shots and bad decisions. Very lucky with the penalty too, a yellow and a free in for me. At least we get two more days out.

Big improvements needed for Limerick. Looked very rusty and missed a few goal chances although id be hopeful we'll be sharper if we can get near goal next day.

Fortunate with that penalty decision. I thought Jake still had it all to do to even set up a goal there. Bubbles and Forde were very good. Callanan done very well considering the ball into him wasn't always good. Improved in the second half. Loads to work on. It's not beyond us to beat Limerick, but we'll have to be at our very best. A slow start and we'll be toast. looking forward to it. Will it be in Pairc Ui chaoimh presumably??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭letowski

Big improvements needed for Limerick. Looked very rusty and missed a few goal chances although id be hopeful we'll be sharper if we can get near goal next day.

Fortunate with that penalty decision. I thought Jake still had it all to do to even set up a goal there. Bubbles and Forde were very good. Callanan done very well considering the ball into him wasn't always good. Improved in the second half. Loads to work on. It's not beyond us to beat Limerick, but we'll have to be at our very best. A slow start and we'll be toast. looking forward to it. Will it be in Pairc Ui chaoimh presumably??

I thought Callinan played a good game for ye. He also laid off a few passes. He was having a right good battle with Conor Cleary all afternoon. That will stand to Callinan the next day as he continues his return.

I think Sheedy will be happy tonight to both have won, but also being given a good test in preparation for the Munster final.

We were very rusty early on I thought. How many Clare scores game from us fumbling the ball, or Tipp lads slipping?

Thought Jake, Forde and Bubbles were quite sharp. Jake in particular dropped deep to collect a lot of ball. Dan was outstanding, got on so so much ball. I dread to think of the team without him. Callanan had a lot of poor ball go in, wasn't sticking in the 1st half, but got better as the game went on. John McGrath was pretty anonymous today, I can't see him starting the next day. His form is just way off. Not sure who would start in his place.

Backs were struggling early, particularly half back line but got to grips with Clares runners after the opening 15 mins.

Would venue be Thurles since last time both teams made the Final it was in the Gaelic Grounds?

• Advertisement

Callanan was inspirational, just the sheer work ethic and the little touches to set up several scores. Probably needed that match for sharpness too. We were slack last 10 minutes, wide after wide when you should be making sure the door stays firmly shut. Barry Heff gets that decision against him and it's heading for squeaky bum time. That annoyed me slightly. Dan needs to be in midfield i think and just getting frustrating with John Mac. Just not happening for him and it's sad to watch.

Callanan was inspirational, just the sheer work ethic and the little touches to set up several scores. Probably needed that match for sharpness too. We were slack last 10 minutes, wide after wide when you should be making sure the door stays firmly shut. Barry Heff gets that decision against him and it's heading for squeaky bum time. That annoyed me slightly. Dan needs to be in midfield i think and just getting frustrating with John Mac. Just not happening for him and it's sad to watch.

Yeah, our wides towards the end were criminal shooting from angles that didn't suit and just some poor wides in general. Very infuriating as we had been mostly quite good up until then (think back to our wides early in the league) but lost our way towards the finish. We were very lucky with the penalty we got and the one not given against us.

John has all the ability, we've seen him do it before for us on the biggest stage, but hes just totally out of sorts. Would be a big ask, but I do like the look of Paul Flynn, he seems a good target man.

Also thought Barry Hogan did quite well in goal, don't think he could do much for either goal, saved well late on.

A decent result.

At important moments, Tipp were clinical when they needed to be clinical. And at other times...

Clare showed the value of championship minutes with their fast start. They were slick and sharp. I like what Lohan's doing there, I like his approach to hurling and his willingness to change and adapt. A fine manager - if Clare stick with him, he'll produce. And Clare are visibly improving with him. Duggan and O'Donnell would add a lot. But I really do feel they're missing at least two possession hurlers, men who not just win the ball but who can find a man with precision a la Dan McCormack who was a major thorn in their side. I feel Dan got a grip on the game after a while - really protected the backs.

Paidi slipped and had no luck for a while, chasing shadows, and then thundered into it when we needed him to.

The ball started to stick more in the full forward line late into the first half - just a small bit. The full forward line was getting cleaned for most of the half - John McGrath is struggling. The harder he tried, the worse it got. Willy Connors worked very hard when he came in, made life very awkward for the Clare full back line. And the ball spent more time in the Clare full back line, and we put them under pressure.

The championship minutes are in the legs now. And another game coming against a top team, more minutes in the legs.
    Callanan's endless running into space and leadership was good (he ran over to Quirke after Quirke lost possession and I heard Callanan say, 'Go in full forward and win that ****ing ball' then took Quirke's place in the half forward position. Breen had a good day. Barry Hogan, a big plus. Barrett did a very good job. I didn't know how taking off Noel would go, but Flynn really added a lot of energy and used the space that the tactics created (well done, management).

We don't need to win Munster, but we do need to find ways that work against Limerick. We need an improved performance and a need to produce tactics that work against their defensive set up. That's essential for what comes later in the year, if we're going to make it to the business end of the championship.

When Tipp had John McGrath sent off and a few goals disallowed against Wexford in 2019, they didn't stop. They kept going due to their experience, as did KK yesterday. Clare need to learn this, and it can be learned. Let nothing put you off.

Looking forward to rewatching the game.

A decent result.

At important moments, Tipp were clinical when they needed to be clinical. And at other times...

Clare showed the value of championship minutes with their fast start. They were slick and sharp. I like what Lohan's doing there, I like his approach to hurling and his willingness to change and adapt. A fine manager - if Clare stick with him, he'll produce. And Clare are visibly improving with him. Duggan and O'Donnell would add a lot. But I really do feel they're missing at least two possession hurlers, men who not just win the ball but who can find a man with precision a la Dan McCormack who was a major thorn in their side. I feel Dan got a grip on the game after a while - really protected the backs.

Paidi slipped and had no luck for a while, chasing shadows, and then thundered into it when we needed him to.

The ball started to stick more in the full forward line late into the first half - just a small bit. The full forward line was getting cleaned for most of the half - John McGrath is struggling. The harder he tried, the worse it got. Willy Connors worked very hard when he came in, made life very awkward for the Clare full back line. And the ball spent more time in the Clare full back line, and we put them under pressure.

The championship minutes are in the legs now. And another game coming against a top team, more minutes in the legs.
    Callanan's endless running into space and leadership was good (he ran over to Quirke after Quirke lost possession and I heard Callanan say, 'Go in full forward and win that ****ing ball' then took Quirke's place in the half forward position. Breen had a good day. Barry Hogan, a big plus. Barrett did a very good job. I didn't know how taking off Noel would go, but Flynn really added a lot of energy and used the space that the tactics created (well done, management).

We don't need to win Munster, but we do need to find ways that work against Limerick. We need an improved performance and a need to produce tactics that work against their defensive set up. That's essential for what comes later in the year, if we're going to make it to the business end of the championship.

When Tipp had John McGrath sent off and a few goals disallowed against Wexford in 2019, they didn't stop. They kept going due to their experience, as did KK yesterday. Clare need to learn this, and it can be learned. Let nothing put you off.

Looking forward to rewatching the game.

Psychologically id fear we might have to. A hiding in that game, and it could be the end of an era in spite of having the backdoor. Limerick are on a run, they feel invincible. A defeat can change alot though and if they are seen as human, it could open up the championship. We cant beat them soon enough as far as im concerned. Munster medals to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any word if Niall o Meara could be back for the munster final?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Getting to a Munster final was essential, realistically i would only worry about Galway and Limerick. If we were to lose Munster and meet Kilkenny at semi finals stage, iv no doubt we would win by 5 plus, very average team nowadays. On all Ireland final day, anything could happen, we tend to turn up on the biggest stage. Getting to Croke park was vital for us which we have now achieved(presuming quarters in croker).

Niall O Meara would be a good addition. He's busy style complements the other players well.

I thought against Clare was as good as Dan, and Jason Forde and Jake Morris have hurled for us. Seamie got great praise for his work rate, I thought in 2019 that his stints at centre forward in most games was very important. Times in games when we were in trouble he went to CF and suddenly the ball was sticking around, nothing flash, just not letting it be cleared easily.

I don't see us beating Limerick twice this year, so I'd gladly sacrifice Sunday to beat them later on in Croke park. To win it I think we'll have to beat Limerick, I don't think anyone else will.

Our record in Croke Park is good, so getting there is the first big challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Paddico

A good win for the u-20s last night but no chance you'll mention of Tipp underage football on here

You just did - but you took a chance to sarcastically mention the interest in hurling. Why not just discuss the football and not try to cause division?

• Advertisement

I wonder will Sheedy go for the summer hurling-like line up he named against Limerick for that storm weather last year? Doubt it.

Will he pick the same team as last time out against Clare? John McG and all?

Or will be see something new? Doubt it.

Unlikely to see much change from the semi final for the starting 15. Probably the two big ones are the McGraths. Alan Flynn instead of Noel potentially. Not sure who would be the next forward instead of John.

I'd imagine Noel will start with a view to getting legs, Flynn, on late in the game.

We'll know soon enough.

I wonder will Breen, O'Meara (or Quirke), and Connors start up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Neol and Flynn will start. JOD seamus and Morris up front

Tipp Senior Hurling team v Limerick. 

1 change, Alan Flynn for John McGrath

Barry Hogan

Cathal Barrett

Padraic Maher

Ronan Maher

Seamus Kennedy

Brendan Maher

Barry Heffernan

Noel McGrath

Alan Flynn

Jason Forde

Michael Breen

Dan McCormack

John O'Dwyer

Seamus Callanan

Jake Morris

Limerick going for Mulcahy ahead of Gillane - going for legs.

I assume Tipp will try fill the spaces Limerick like to play long ball into, like Galway did last year or we did in the second quarter in this years league. That will mean Ronan or Paidi filling between the left corner and wing space regardless of where their men go.

Dan and Noel playing deep with Alan Flynn and Jake Morris around the middle and effectively two banks of two in the forward line. If so we'll try play puck outs to Barry Heffernan or Ronan to drive to the full forward line, playing over their half back line.

Will they do similar enough at the back, try fill the spaces Seamie was running into so well against Clare?

The really frustrating thing playing Limerick is when you send a puck out long, you may have one or two under the dropping ball but Limerick will have 4-5 completely outnumbering you. I think that's why they don't mind hitting wides, they win so many of the opposition restarts it's really low risk stuff. Play short puck outs to work the ball out, they'll their full forward line will chase and harry all the way out the field. Drive it long and their long legged half forwards are back under the ball outnumbering you.

Best of luck to Tipp, it was great the last day to see the newer generation driving us on Dan, Jason, Barry Heff, Jake Morris, their becoming the leaders in this team now.

Whatever happens today - I hope Tipp use this game to really try a few things. Doesn't matter if they fail, at least you'd know what won't work. But new things must be tried today.

• Advertisement

Tactically will be very interesting to see how it plays out. We did well in the main in the league match by bringing lads deep and limiting damage from their puck outs so no surprise if we try the same today. Work rate was savage on that occasion and going to need same again so surest thing is that bench will be emptied well before the 70 are up.

Advertisement