Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The following players probably would have won a slam or multiple slams if Fed, Nadal and Djoko were not so dominant:

Nalbandian
    Nishikori
    Berdych
    Ferrer

To a lesser extent Tsonga, he was too up and down but on his day he could beat anyone. Del Potro had he not been injured so much would have won more than his solitary US open.

As for Murray, he could well have wonva lot more but many of his issues were self inflicted. I lost count of the number of times he would get pulled into unnecessary 5 set slog fests in the 1st and 2nd rounds in slams to players he should be beating in straight sets. He just wasn't as ruthless as the top 3 as well as obviously not being as good. He had a pretty decent record vs Federer overall but a dismal record in slams. Nadal and Djokovic had a dominant head to head against him
    Floppybits wrote: »
    There are a few of them coming to the end of the road now that didn't have the careers they deserve. The main one would be Murray, how many more slams would he have if there wasn't a Djokovic, Federer or Nadal in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

3 hours and 10 minutes on court for Swiatek, won't exactly help her singles prospects.
    Hopefully she'll be OK. All her other matches (singles and doubles) have been straight sets, and she's playing late tomorrow evening against Kostyuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

The following players probably would have won a slam or multiple slams if Fed, Nadal and Djoko were not so dominant:

Nalbandian
    Nishikori
    Berdych
    Ferrer

To a lesser extent Tsonga, he was too up and down but on his day he could beat anyone. Del Potro had he not been injured so much would have won more than his solitary US open.

As for Murray, he could well have wonva lot more but many of his issues were self inflicted. I lost count of the number of times he would get pulled into unnecessary 5 set slog fests in the 1st and 2nd rounds in slams to players he should be beating in straight sets. He just wasn't as ruthless as the top 3 as well as obviously not being as good. He had a pretty decent record vs Federer overall but a dismal record in slams. Nadal and Djokovic had a dominant head to head against him
    Soderling could be in that list as well. Likewise Anderson, whose best days are probably behind him. Also, so many slam finals have involved two of the Big 3, there must be still other players who would have at least reached a final if they didn't have those to contend with. Dimitrov has reached the semi-final of Wimbledon, the Australian Open and the US Open, and must be wondering at 30 years old if he ever will get to a slam final.

Agreed on Murray getting pulled into far too many dogfights. Curiously though, if the Big 3 weren't there, he might have won more than 3 slams without ever having to play as well as he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

There's no doubt that the big 3 pushed each other to higher levels, but, all 3 especially Djokovic left absolutely no stone unturned in an effort to get the very last bit out of themselves I'm not so sure that can be said about the next gen players or some of the players listed above, Murray being the exception.

It's the same in every sport, the very best put absolutely everything into it and are willing to make massive sacrifices to be the best it's often this that's the difference between the greats and the good players. Even between the big 3 I'd argue that Federer is definitely the most naturally talented, but, both Nadal and Djokovic have worked harder to get to his level, it's why when matches between them became a battle of attrition Federer usually lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

There are a few of them coming to the end of the road now that didn't have the careers they deserve. The main one would be Murray, how many more slams would he have if there wasn't a Djokovic, Federer or Nadal in the way.

That's a reasonably long list after the 'if' :)
    How many slams would Federer have if there wasn't a Nadal or Djokovic in the way? 30 ?

• Advertisement

if my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Nadal-Sinner could be match of the day tokorrow.. but I honestly think it'll follow the same pattern as their first match last October. Straight sets for Nadal, close first two sets before Nadal runs away with the third. Could be wrong obviously, but I don't think Sinner is quite ready to win these kind of matches yet. He will be soon, but he's not there right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I think the potential Nadal/Scwartzman match will be fascinating. Really hope Federer continues, will understand if he doesn't.

Absolutely delighted Serena lost and great performance by Rybakina.

Whoop just seen Federer has withdrawn. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nalbandian
    Nishikori
    Berdych
    Ferrer

Roddick could have won about 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Whoop just seen Federer has withdrawn. Ah well.

only Federer could get away with this carry on: 'i'm fit but withdrawing mid-way through a Slam to maximise my opportunities in nicer tournaments in a few weeks'.

then again, I guess we take what we can get at this stage as regards sightings of the great one...

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Nadal-Sinner could be match of the day tokorrow.. but I honestly think it'll follow the same pattern as their first match last October. Straight sets for Nadal, close first two sets before Nadal runs away with the third. Could be wrong obviously, but I don't think Sinner is quite ready to win these kind of matches yet. He will be soon, but he's not there right now.

definitely the match of the day, can't see Sinner getting a set but would be nice if he can keep it tight for the duration.

The other side of the draw is shaping up better than I thought, Medvedev has given up his 'bambi on ice' impression on the clay and will give Tsisipas a good match tomorrow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I've been saying it all week that those Lacoste stands are dangerous. Musetti could've broken an ankle there easily.

I dunno I think Murray won exactly as much as he deserved. His pusher style just isn't conducive to out and out winning all the time. I think his career is kinda spot on actually.

RE Roddick, yeah I think he could've been a lot more successful but he sort of fell off a cliff mentally once the big 3 really started getting going. Young Roddick was great.

What a set of tennis from Musetti. Regardless of whatever the outcome of the match may be he can hold his head high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Rob2D wrote: »
    I dunno I think Murray won exactly as much as he deserved. His pusher style just isn't conducive to out and out winning all the time. I think his career is kinda spot on actually.

RE Roddick, yeah I think he could've been a lot more successful but he sort of fell off a cliff mentally once the big 3 really started getting going. Young Roddick was great.

Think you are being unfair there on Murray, he reached 11 grand slam finals and 21 semi finals and he lost in the final to either Federer or Djokovic. I don't think there is any other player in the this Federer, Nadal, Djokovic that has got to that many finals other than maybe Roddick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Djokovic drops the first set. This one could the match of the day. The future is looking good the Italian Tennis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Djokovic drops the first set. This one could the match of the day. The future is looking good the Italian Tennis

The trainer will be out soon.

The trainer will be out soon.

or he might go for a long toilet break and drop out before the match in the next round :D

glasso wrote: »
    or he might go for a long toilet break and drop out before the match in the next round :D

Or he'll probably win the second set and go on to win the match

• Advertisement

he lost in the final to either Federer or Djokovic.

Well you just sort of proved my point there for me. He wan't as good as those guys but was better than most of the rest. Therefore his career is mostly correct.

Girly Gal wrote: »

Well he d have to win the match if he was going to have the option to drop out before the subsequent match wouldn't he.....

Musetti almost unplayable at the moment

2 sets to Musetti! What a player this guy is.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Musetti :cool: Not over by a long shot, but looking good.

I wonder if we'll be seeing a few all-Italian grand slam finals in the years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Girly Gal wrote: »

Or not!

What a game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Djokovic has his bags packed. I had a feeling musetti would be super competitive but didnt think he would win

Lagrange wrote: »
    2009 Roddick was better than young Roddick.

Not a hope. Roddick went downhill after like '05/'06 and never came back save for that last flash in '09. Consistant always, but wasn't ever as good.

2 sets up, Musetti might actually stand a chance now!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Djokovic has his bags packed. I had a feeling musetti would be super competitive but didnt think he would win
    It's not over yet in fairness, this is far from Novak's first rodeo....

But c'mon Musetti!!!

• Advertisement

It ain't over yet!, still be surprised if Novak doesn't go through

Advertisement