Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So how many games will Gasquet win against Nadal tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

So how many games points on his own serve will Gasquet win against Nadal tonight?

fixed your typo there...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

lostcat wrote: »
    fixed your typo there...

:pac:
    I'm feeling generous tonight so I think Richard wins five games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

:pac:
    I'm feeling generous tonight so I think Richard wins five games.

He will do well to get 1 the way this is going.

Genuinely if Rafa needed to he wins this 6-0 6-0 6-0, hopefully for Gasquet Nadal due to their friendship might ease up and give him a game or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Rjd2 wrote: »
    He will do well to get 1 the way this is going.

Genuinely if Rafa needed to he wins this 6-0 6-0 6-0, hopefully for Gasquet Nadal due to their friendship might ease up and give him a game or two.

It does look like someone can beat Gasquet 17 times in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭Augme

Sonw meltdown by Sablenka. The door is wide open to anyone now on that side of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Augme wrote: »
    Sonw meltdown by Sablenka. The door is wide open to anyone now on that side of the draw.
    I've lost count of the number of times Sabalenka has hit herself out of a match in a frustrated manner. It seems her Plan A is to hit the ball hard, and Plan B is to hit it even harder, as in just whack the beejayus out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

klr87 wrote: »
    I've lost count of the number of times Sabalenka has hit herself out of a match in a frustrated manner. It seems her Plan A is to hit the ball hard, and Plan B is to hit it even harder, as in just whack the beejayus out of it.

The medical time out did seem to disrupt her rhythm.
    Is there any other sport where athletes are allowed such extensive running repairs?
    I think there should be a 3 minute time limit, if you can't be fixed up in that time, tough. That's sport.

Nishikori has dropped off a cliff in the last couple of years from when he got to top 5.

Ranked about 50 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The mtos can be frustrating but hardly much of an excuse for that level of implosion from sabalenka. Kicking myself cos i was starting to believe in her after a very good clay season. Thought she'd get a qf this time before blasting her way out of it. Can't pick a finalist from that half now, a few there should definitely be fancying it, including Aza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

josip wrote: »
    The medical time out did seem to disrupt her rhythm.
    Is there any other sport where athletes are allowed such extensive running repairs?
    I think there should be a 3 minute time limit, if you can't be fixed up in that time, tough. That's sport.

It's truly bizarre sometimes. Some players deliberately take medical time outs at crucial moments to try and disrupt opponents momentum. I remember djkovic doing that against thiem in the Australian open final. It is blatant cheating in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Farcical

• Registered Users Posts: 14,554 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

sxt wrote: »
    It's truly bizarre sometimes. Some players deliberately take medical time outs at crucial moments to try and disrupt opponents momentum. I remember djkovic doing that against thiem in the Australian open final. It is blatant cheating in my book

Djokovic is always at it.
    Playing possum, looks completely dead on his feet and then a rub of the magic sponge and he is fully recharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Djokovic is always at it.
    Playing possum, looks completely dead on his feet and then a rub of the magic sponge and he is fully recharged.

He might have picked up that tactic from the younger Williams?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,554 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Medvedev through in straight sets. I haven't seen much of him thus far, any chance he could trouble the latter rounds of the tournament? I'd have had Tsitsipas as certain favourite to make the final from that half of the draw initially.

Collins visible wilting under the intensity of Williams. Seems once Serena showed a bit of aggression she couldn't handle it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

klr87 wrote: »

Woah, woah!! You mean that’s not a tactic?:D

Medvedev through in straight sets. I haven't seen much of him thus far, any chance he could trouble the latter rounds of the tournament? I'd have had Tsitsipas as certain favourite to make the final from that half of the draw initially.

The guy he played in the previous round should have done a better job. He's definitely better than people assumed. He was 130/1 before the tournament. Tsisipas is still my certain favourite to make the draw from that side. I'd have Sasha as second favourite. But on his day Sasha could very best Tsitsipas or lose to Medvedev. And that's the problem with this "next gen". They are just too inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The guy he played in the previous round should have done a better job. He's definitely better than people assumed. He was 130/1 before the tournament. Tsisipas is still my certain favourite to make the draw from that side. I'd have Sasha as second favourite. But on his day Sasha could very best Tsitsipas or lose to Medvedev. And that's the problem with this "next gen". They are just too inconsistent.

Agree, the next gen are consistently inconsistent, it's the main reason it's hard to see them topple both Nadal and Djokovic in the slams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Djokovic said something very interesting in his interview after the French open final last year. I think he was asked some question about the "next gen". He said that he, rafa, and Federer were the next gen. It was a joke but he was right

The "next gen" needs to beats one of them in a major final. Beating them in three set tournaments doesn't count for a generational shift

The mtos can be frustrating but hardly much of an excuse for that level of implosion from sabalenka. Kicking myself cos i was starting to believe in her after a very good clay season. Thought she'd get a qf this time before blasting her way out of it. Can't pick a finalist from that half now, a few there should definitely be fancying it, including Aza.

She murdered this girl a few weeks ago and chances are if they play next week she murders her again, its just she has a Grand Slam blank .

Its a bit like Pliskova worryingly.

His attitude to clay was pretty dire before this, but has had some nice wins.

Garin loves the clay his next opponent so that will be a nice test.

I'd keep my eye on Busta on that side, playing nicely and loves the surface and has a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Isner playing good stuff here. Tsitsipas needs to up his game just a little and try put the Isner serve under pressure. Easier said than done when Isner is hitting 130mph serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I turned that off at 3-3 in the second set. I couldn't watch any more, absolute puke tennis from John Isner. I've never really watched a full match of his so I'm sure it was nothing out of the ordinary for him, delighted Tsitsipas went through though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Tsitsipas did well to turn it around after the first set, something not typical of the next gen players, it's the type of match he needs to be winning on a consistent basis to become a genuine slam contender.
    Is there any possibility he could beat Nadal in the final if he gets there, can't see it myself, but, would be great to see a new champion emerge.

If nadal reaches the final the only way he losses is if he is taken to five sets at the semi final stage. If I'm Novak, at this stage in just hoping someone takes at least one set from him in the next two matches and depletes his energy levels a bit more.

In these conditions, it's definitely tougher for the older guys to have the stamina. But if Nadal gets to the final having not dropped any sets I just can't see him losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭hawley

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Agree, the next gen are consistently inconsistent, it's the main reason it's hard to see them topple both Nadal and Djokovic in the slams.

Sinner looks like the best of all the young players coming through. He's still only 19 but would expect him to win a good few slams.

If nadal reaches the final the only way he losses is if he is taken to five sets at the semi final stage. If I'm Novak, at this stage in just hoping someone takes at least one set from him in the next two matches and depletes his energy levels a bit more.

In these conditions, it's definitely tougher for the older guys to have the stamina. But if Nadal gets to the final having not dropped any sets I just can't see him losing.

Rublev and Karatsev going in his quarter helps him hugely.

Sinner easily the 2nd best player in that quarter and he has been sloppy so far so it's tough to see how even he can trouble Rafa over 5.

Famous last words, but don't see Rafa dropping a set before a semi final whatsoever.

Good result for Tsitsipas that, Isner played well and is underrated on this surface but getting him out in 4 is a nice effort.

Busta next who is a very dangerous opponent for Tsitsipas though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

hawley wrote: »
    Sinner looks like the best of all the young players coming through. He's still only 19 but would expect him to win a good few slams.

Musetti and Alcaraz are another 2. I'd like to see Alcaraz on other surfaces, so far he’s been brilliant on clay.

Advertisement