Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The difference here is musetti is playing unreal and Novak is having a howler

quote="HeidiHeidi;117365136"]It's not over yet in fairness, this is far from Novak's first rodeo....

But c'mon Musetti!!![/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The difference here is musetti is playing unreal and Novak is having a howler

quote="HeidiHeidi;117365136"]It's not over yet in fairness, this is far from Novak's first rodeo....

But c'mon Musetti!!!
    [/quote]

Someone woke him up.....

3-0

Stay tuned!

Also, i wouldn't call 6-7 6-7 having a howler, exactly....

He has made shockingly bad errors at key moments. His 2nd set tie break was probably the worst I have seen him play. He has been very passive, musetti has been excellent though

quote="HeidiHeidi;117365183"][/quote]

Someone woke him up.....

3-0

Stay tuned!

Also, i wouldn't call 6-7 6-7 having a howler, exactly....[/quote]

Musetti crumbling like a biscotti.

I'm wondering about Musetti's fitness.... there were a few balls he didn't go for in the last game of the last set that I'd have expected him to at least try for, and a lot of unforced errors suddenly.

And I think he had a 5 set game in the last round.

I hope he doesn't just run out of steam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

This will go to a fifth set

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Djokovic has his bags packed. I had a feeling musetti would be super competitive but didnt think he would win

Can't see Musetti winning now.
    I can't remember the last time I saw such negative, defeatist body language.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Halfway to a golden set :o

Djokovic has his bags packed. I had a feeling musetti would be super competitive but didnt think he would win

That aged well :D

Hasn't won a point ffs in the first four games

Wahey he gets one in the fifth game

Marked mental weakness here

Not going to win anything big displaying capitulation like this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

josip wrote: »
    such negative, defeatist body language.

Italians shur. Too emotional.

Novak with the drop shots now. He can see the tiredness too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭Augme

Musetti needs to take a medical timeout.

glasso wrote: »
    Hasn't won a point ffs in the first four games

Wahey he gets one in the fifth game

Marked mental weakness here

Not going to win anything big displaying capitulation like this

He's 19, in his first GS big match.

You'd hardly write his career off based on this!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Goes two sets up and then wins one game in the next two sets that take a combined total of 41 minutes. I... don't know what to say.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Lagrange wrote: »
    Yes in 2009 he was better than young Roddick, he hit his peak in 2009 at Wimbledon.

Go away you lunatic :pac::pac:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    He's 19, in his first GS big match.

You'd hardly write his career off based on this!

I didn't

I'm saying that this is loser flake material on display here

The mental side is where the titans excel

But it's not necessarily something that can be developed though. It's innate

The biggest difference

What the djokovics and the Nadals have that the others don't

I head out for an hour after musetti wins 2nd set and suddenly into 5th set.......WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nice 'ground' shot from Djokovic there to stay in the point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Farcical

josip wrote: »
    Nice 'ground' shot from Djokovic there to stay in the point :)

Ouch!

• Advertisement

Flaked out

Done and dusted

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

I head out for an hour after musetti wins 2nd set and suddenly into 5th set.......WTF!
    I think the moment Djokovic broke for 2-0 in the 3rd, the match was effectively over. Musetti is likely to win 2 or 3 games max. over the last 3 sets. Folded like the proverbial cheap suit. Injury, fatigue, inexperience, or a sudden realisation "Oh f**k, I'm two sets up against Djokovic, now what do I do?". Or some combination of al of the above.

I didn't

The biggest difference

So, writing him off based on his first GS match then.

Again, he's 19. And clearly knackered!

I didn't

The biggest difference

Djokovic didn't have it when he was 19, he had a reputation for retiring from matches and was seen as mentally weak until his early twenties, he has since gone on to become probably the mentally strongest player in the history of the game, so wouldn't write off Musetti just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

And he's retired. Probably saved himself about 10 more minutes on court.

Well that was disappointing in the end. Not sure I have the energy to watch another young Italian lose now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Why anyone would watch this utter farce is beyond me, the French Open may be interesting in 5 years time (maybe) when Nadal will only by 80% sure of winning it.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Djokovic didn't have it when he was 19, he had a reputation for retiring from matches and was seen as mentally weak until his early twenties, he has since gone on to become probably the mentally strongest player in the history of the game, so wouldn't write off Musetti just yet

He's not going to win 10% of what djokovic has won

While I agree Novak had a habit of folding in his teens, he did win his first slam aged 20 and even beat peak Federer in that first slam win. Djokovic was a freak talent, he had a number of wins against Fedal even as a teenager. However it wasnt until late 2010, early 2011 that he really started believing how good he was and from then on he became a beast. I still think Djokovic of late 2015 to early 2016 was the highest level of tennis I have ever witnessed.

Musetti is a future star, no doubt about it but it will all depend on how he develops physically and mentally. He has the ability and the shots. He needs the right people around him as does Sinner. If they continue to work hard, anything is possible. Djokovic showed again today if you give him an easy opening, he becomes a great front runner and its very hard to stop his momentum. I was less convinced after set two today because Novak was playing key points very badly and musetti was showing great composure. Clearly once the momentum shifted he panicked and couldnt stop the bleeding.

quote="Girly Gal;117365459"]Djokovic didn't have it when he was 19, he had a reputation for retiring from matches and was seen as mentally weak until his early twenties, he has since gone on to become probably the mentally strongest player in the history of the game, so wouldn't write off Musetti just yet[/quote]

• Advertisement

He's not going to win 10% of what djokovic has won

Didn't say he would, most players in history haven't and won't, hell, we may never see him again, but, you can't write him off after today's match, how many players have even gone 2 sets up against Djokovic in a slam, not many.

Advertisement