Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't think he's going to get past Berrettini but he needs to go out and fúcking play him. If not he shouldn't have entered the tournament in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Furze99 wrote: »

Could easily have gone against him - Koepfer lost it in the head a bit.

Yeah think he couldn't hold it together to beat one of the greats of the game. Thought he was very disrespectful when he just missed a shot up the line and then questioned it, walked around the net to check it himself and the spat on it. He got docked a point for that and rightfully so.

Could easily have gone against him - Koepfer lost it in the head a bit.

that's why he's ranked 59

blew the third set completely with a mental lapse.

Fed himself is mentally checking out if not actually dropping out because he knows that he's going nowhere with the draw ahead of him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Floppybits wrote: »
    Yeah think he couldn't hold it together to beat one of the greats of the game. Thought he was very disrespectful when he just missed a shot up the line and then questioned it, walked around the net to check it himself and the spat on it. He got docked a point for that and rightfully so.

Yeah, not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I don't think he's going to get past Berrettini but he needs to go out and fúcking play him. If not he shouldn't have entered the tournament in the first place.

Definitely should play the match, probably a straight sets victory for Berrettini, but, think Federer should and probably will play that match. If he can't play after a match like that it's very difficult to see him as a genuine contender for Wimbledon.

• Advertisement

Tsitsipas looking good here

OMG that Women's Doubles was the match of the tournament so far. Unreal stuff.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Rob2D wrote: »

3 hours and 10 minutes on court for Swiatek, won't exactly help her singles prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is there any way to watch matches back? The looked like a cracker, but I missed it :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm a huge Federer fan but cmon now, you don't turn up at one of the grand slams to so openly use it as a training session and pull out at the first sign of it getting a little bit difficult.

He should have got more grief for doing it in the ATP final a couple of years ago. If he signs up he should play. Very disrespectful to everyone to just pull out.

• Advertisement

Jesus, he's actually pulled out now.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is there any way to watch matches back? The looked like a cracker, but I missed it :(

You can watch replays on Eurosport player. I paid the €7 for 1 month and it's pretty good.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That's terrible. Much as Koepfer wasn't a bundle of manners, its extremely ignorant to him as well. He should have had every evantuality planned well in advance and shaken hands (or racquets) and given him the win.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Not really getting the outrage tbh. Surely at Federer's age, and with everything he's contributed to tennis, he doesn't really have to explain himself if he's prioritising looking after his body and extending his career? As for Koepfer, I think the onus is on him to take his chances rather than hope for a Federer withdrawal. Don't think Federer has anything to apologise for tbh.

Not really getting the outrage tbh. Surely at Federer's age, and with everything he's contributed to tennis, he doesn't really have to explain himself if he's prioritising looking after his body and extending his career? As for Koepfer, I think the onus is on him to take his chances rather than hope for a Federer withdrawal. Don't think Federer has anything to apologise for tbh.

Hate players giving walkovers and to make the call this early as well. Hasn't even given himself a chance to see if he can recover. I know Wimbledon is the priority but it's still a few weeks away plenty of time for him to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭dublin49

I agree Koepfer had his chance ,I supose Federer could easily have said the knee was acting up and regrettably he had to withdraw and nobody would have doubted him,he told the truth so we should respect him for that.The big regret is the hole it leaves in the playing schedule.

Tsitsipas - Medvedev quarter looks tasty now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Very poor form by Federer. I found it strange when he said in a press conference the other day, he saw no way of getting past the Djokovic quarter. While i appreciate he has been out injured up until recently, very strange for a player to say something like that even if he thought it was a real possiblity. To just enter to play a few matches in preparation for another tournament seems disrespectful.

I think Djokovic would have beaten him handy enough anyway, Federer hasnt beaten Novak since 2012 in a grand slam. Even still, I dont think it looks good if he isnt actually too injured to play.

whiterebel wrote: »
    That's terrible. Much as Koepfer wasn't a bundle of manners, its extremely ignorant to him as well. He should have had every evantuality planned well in advance and shaken hands (or racquets) and given him the win.

Why give Koepfer the win, he beat him fair and square, the match obviously drained Federer more than he thought it would, at the end of the day he's almost 40, been out for over a year and only played 2 or 3 matches before the French Open. If he hadn't withdrawn, it's likely he would have had to retire during the match anyway, which think is actually worse, because he would have known coming into the match he probably wouldn't be able to finish it, so at least this way everyone can just get on with it. I don't like seeing walkovers either, but, I don't think Federer took this decision lightly and it probably means his knees aren't up to Grand Slam level tennis anymore, which will probably be proven at Wimbledon if he's involved in an extended match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Why give Koepfer the win, he beat him fair and square, the match obviously drained Federer more than he thought it would, at the end of the day he's almost 40, been out for over a year and only played 2 or 3 matches before the French Open. If he hadn't withdrawn, it's likely he would have had to retire during the match anyway, which think is actually worse, because he would have known coming into the match he probably wouldn't be able to finish it, so at least this way everyone can just get on with it. I don't like seeing walkovers either, but, I don't think Federer took this decision lightly and it probably means his knees aren't up to Grand Slam level tennis anymore, which will probably be proven at Wimbledon if he's involved in an extended match.

I have nothing against Koepfer, but if he can't beat a near 40 year old Roger on his worst surface who is clearly worried about his body, then nope I have no sympathy whatsoever.

I'm not keen on the call, but I understand it from a pragmatic POV.

• Advertisement

Serena out now, not surprised as she looks very slow around the court, looks like number 24 is out of reach

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

whiterebel wrote: »

Very disrespectful to both Koepfer, the tournament and the public for that matter. Federer raised his arms in victory last night, to pull out today without any real injury is not really on. I wonder will he be fined and/or penalised in any way. If he tries to enter again, maybe they'll put him in the qualifiers.

Kei looking like he's nearing the end of his road as well. Which is a shame. I don't think he ever quite got the career he deserved.

Very disrespectful to both Koepfer, the tournament and the public for that matter. Federer raised his arms in victory last night, to pull out today without any real injury is not really on. I wonder will he be fined and/or penalised in any way. If he tries to enter again, maybe they'll put him in the qualifiers.

Why disrespectful to Koepfer, he wasn't able to beat a clearly tiring Federer, it would be a lot more disrespectful to retire from a match he was winning and went onto win. In all likelihood he'd likely have had to retire during his next match or take a really heavy defeat, so at least this way the organisers and Berrettini know in plenty time and can plan accordingly.

As the current joint record men's GS titles holder, quitting on the stool before a match in the second week of a GS is poor.

Don't be in it if you're not trying to win it.

glasso wrote: »
    As the current joint record men's GS titles holder, quitting on the stool before a match in the second week of a GS is poor.

Don't be in it if you're not trying to win it.

If you're not Nadal you know you're unlikely to win it! Federer knows his own body and obviously knows his body can't take another match tomorrow. Federer used the French Open to find out if his body could stand up to GS level tennis after his long layoff, I have no problem with that, obviously he's found out that his body can't take it right now, he also knows continuing on risks his participation at Wimbledon which is likely to be his last one, so I don't really blame him for pulling out. He had nothing to gain and a lot to potentially lose.

Kei looking like he's nearing the end of his road as well. Which is a shame. I don't think he ever quite got the career he deserved.

If I could reverse just one result in tennis, that US Open final against Cilic would be pretty high up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Federer was basically saying in recent days his mind is on Wimbledon. That is hugely disrespectful to the French open organisers and public. If Djokovic pulled out like that he would be getting abuse left, right and centre. Federer is the media darling and they dare not say a bad word about him.

Disappointed to see such a poor showing here from Nishikori. Really thought he would win more than he did, a very talented and likeable player but he never quite lived up to the heights I expected. I thought back around 2013 he was destined to win a few slams, would love to have seen it. David Nalbandian was similar, he was even better and on his day he was nearly unbeatable but just never got the slam wins his talent and ability promised

There are a few of them coming to the end of the road now that didn't have the careers they deserve. The main one would be Murray, how many more slams would he have if there wasn't a Djokovic, Federer or Nadal in the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Serena out now, not surprised as she looks very slow around the court, looks like number 24 is out of reach
    After Azarenka lost earlier to Pavlyuchenkova, Serena looked to have a straightforward path to the final, although winning that might have been a very difficult proposition.

The French has been her poorest slam since she returned to the tour in 2017. I think she's just not putting in the effort on clay anymore. She's played two matches in Rome in that time, and none in Madrid. She did play a smaller event in Parma this year, but lost to the first good player she faced (Siniakova).

She'll try harder to win Wimbledon, even without playing a warm-up tournament. But there are a lot of good grass court players who probably won't be seeded. She can't get lucky with draws for ever (... can she?)

The women's draw is now completely unbalanced, and there could be another one-sided final this year.

Advertisement