Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black people Racism in Workplace in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Sent to prison?

I'm assuming you are exaggerating for effect?

No im not exaggerating at all. I a white Irish man and I have no idea what it must be like to be abused like that but I imagine it would be very hurtful and humiliating, especially coming from someone in authority over you. I think a few months in prison is absolutely fitting for anyone who would abuse someone like that. If he had punched him he would have the threat of prison so why not for this? words can be every bit as hurtful to a person. why would you have a problem with that? do you think a written warning is a suitable punishment for what that employee suffered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

pgj2015 wrote: »
    No im not exaggerating at all. I a white Irish man and I have no idea what it must be like to be abused like that but I imagine it would be very hurtful and humiliating, especially coming from someone in authority over you. I think a few months in prison is absolutely fitting for anyone who would abuse someone like that. If he had punched him he would have the threat of prison so why not for this? words can be every bit as hurtful to a person. why would you have a problem with that? do you think a written warning is a suitable punishment for what that employee suffered?

I agree that the manager should be punished but prison would be too much imo.
    Words are not physical violence, words can be upsetting and harmful but words are not violence. Its a ridiculous argument that has gotten too much traction recently almost exclusively from that asylum to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,181 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

WrenBoy wrote: »
    I agree that the manager should be punished but prison would be too much imo.
    Words are not physical violence, words can be upsetting and harmful but words are not violence. Its a ridiculous argument that has gotten too much traction recently almost exclusively from that asylum to the west.

I think it is insulting to victims of serious physical racial violence to equate them to someone being insulted once or twice by a thick ignorant bollix.

I think it is insulting to victims of serious physical racial violence to equate them to someone being insulted once or twice by a thick ignorant bollix.

I think it speaks to how good we have it here in our part of the world that this is what people consider "violence"
    Both a blessing and a curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭newhouse87

the prick should have been sacked, final warning not good enough.

• Advertisement

newhouse87 wrote: »
    the prick should have been sacked, final warning not good enough.

Everyone deserves the chance to learn and improve... In most cases, three warnings are the rule. Verbal, written, written, dismissal. Otherwise the chance of abuse against employees by management increases for all manner of things.

You do realise anyone sacked on the first instance will simply go away with bitterness and further anger towards that racial group, likely leading to something worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Everyone deserves the chance to learn and improve... In most cases, three warnings are the rule. Verbal, written, written, dismissal. Otherwise the chance of abuse against employees by management increases for all manner of things.

You do realise anyone sacked on the first instance will simply go away with bitterness and further anger towards that racial group, likely leading to something worse?

Nah, cant agree, it pure bile to call somebody a chimpanzee and make monkey noises. People like that i don't think will ever be anything but racist. I know racist is thrown about these days, but that mangers behavior is abhorrent.

newhouse87 wrote: »
    Nah, cant agree, it pure bile to call somebody a chimpanzee and make monkey noises.

I don't disagree. It is abhorrent behavior, and should be punished. Although, final dismissal should be done after a series of warnings... that doesn't mean that punishment can't occur before then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,181 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The article says that, for the reported incident, the team leader said he looked like a chimpanzee and apologised 30 minutes later. The following day, it was reported to management.

It was later that the allegation of the earlier incident was added subsequently. There is no mention of acceptance or denying that incident. However it would appear to me to be strange that in going to the bother of reporting the May incident, the complainant did not mention the February incident.

I am not justifying any behaviour. I am only commenting on the remark about the "monkey noises"

I would not be 100% convinced on the veracity of the earlier incident based on the article. The earlier incident is claimed to have taken place in front of other staff and been more severe to the later one. Yet the manager did not apologise for the earlier one. From the article, it appears he apologised for the second one before it was reported to the management.

Edit: In case anyone tries to twist what I am saying, I am 100% convinced of the veracity of the May incident.

I think if we are serious about stamping out racism, we should punish severely people who racially abuse others. I don't think we have a big racism problem here in Ireland but it does exist. no one should be demeaned like that anywhere, including in their place of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm surprised that doesn't meet the standard for summary dismissal (or that the company chose not to enforce it).

I wouldn't think at all that this is a moment for training (sensitivity/diversity/whatever). In 2019, some lad making monkey noises and telling a black guy he looks like a chimpanzee has absolutely no excuse for it, none whatsoever. There's nothing he'd hear in any training session that he doesn't already know but chooses to ignore.

I think if we are serious about stamping out racism, we should punish severely people who racially abuse others. I don't think we have a big racism problem here in Ireland but it does exist. no one should be demeaned like that anywhere, including in their place of work.

The worry is that its not applied fairly across the board is it as well as it being an incredibly complex and nuanced issue. Whats the line ? Does provocation come into it ? How can we interpret intent ? Whats the proof required ?

Serious about stamping out racism.. there's a certain finality to that. Being serious too.

Now, perhaps you can relate to us which societies have successfully stamped out racism entirely (or even come close to it)?

Serious about stamping out racism.. there's a certain finality to that. Being serious too.

Now, perhaps you can relate to us which societies have successfully stamped out racism entirely (or even come close to it)?

Ok, I will rephrase it, if we are serious about showing people there will be no tolerance to racist behavior ........

• Registered Users Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

guy2231 wrote: »
    This will always happen as drunk idiot scumbags will always use the N word in an argument if they know it will annoy the other person, if they are not racist they will still say it anyway just to p*** the other person off, those people were probably listening to 2pac and Biggie before they got on the bus.

I doubt there are really any real racists in Ireland bar a tiny few, most instances of supposed racism is down to cultural differences and misunderstandings due to how much racism is talked about in the media from other countries which gives off a feeling of paranoia when any little thing happens some people automacilly jump to the conclusion of racism.

This is just absolutely and utter drivel claiming using the N word is not racist.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Annasopra wrote: »
    This is just absolutely and utter drivel claiming using the N word is not racist.

I agree 99% of the time but sometimes it is a unique case like the girl who racially abused the doorman on that video that went viral. Sharna walker was her name. She was saying racist stuff but she was very drunk and came out afterward saying she's had black boyfriends and isn't racist. I had a friend who I know wouldn't touch a black person sexually was acting outraged about it when this girl actually probably has no problem dating black guys and said that stuff when very drunk.Im not sure whose side to take there? I think the person would have to be out of their heads drunk or on drugs for me to think it might be excused but I'm speaking as a white person so I'm open to any people of colour correcting me.

MarkEadie wrote: »
    I agree 99% of the time but sometimes it is a unique case like the girl who racially abused the doorman on that video that went viral. Sharna walker was her name. She was saying racist stuff but she was very drunk and came out afterward saying she's had black boyfriends and isn't racist. I had a friend who I know wouldn't touch a black person sexually was acting outraged about it when this girl actually probably has no problem dating black guys and said that stuff when very drunk.Im not sure whose side to take there? I think the person would have to be out of their heads drunk or on drugs for me to think it might be excused but I'm speaking as a white person so I'm open to any people of colour correcting me.

She claimed she had Black boyfriends in the past, and many people have very loose interpretations as to what a boyfriend represents. In any case, relationships can be quite abusive on many levels, so who can say what went on. She was a drunk muppet shouting horrible abuse and was called up on it. Racist? Yeah, I'd say so. TBH I can't see why this case represents the 1% for using the N word in any kind of acceptable way.

Still, if we were serious about making the N word taboo, then we'd seeking to reduce Black people from using it too. Double standards rarely work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Gradius wrote: »
    Take monetary rewards out of the equation and watch complaints practically disappear.
    I didn't even know you could get money if you won a complaint. I'm not sure it would be grounds enough for a majority of the complaints, perhaps one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

She claimed she had Black boyfriends in the past, and many people have very loose interpretations as to what a boyfriend represents. In any case, relationships can be quite abusive on many levels, so who can say what went on. She was a drunk muppet shouting horrible abuse and was called up on it. Racist? Yeah, I'd say so. TBH I can't see why this case represents the 1% for using the N word in any kind of acceptable way.

Still, if we were serious about making the N word taboo, then we'd seeking to reduce Black people from using it too. Double standards rarely work well.

Sadly the N word is used casually as is the C word with regard to Asians. It says something about white people that this happens so casually imo. Its less and less common thankfully but still very widespread.

The girl dated black guys. I'm not sure why you brought abuse in relationships into it.

I think she was just drunk out of her mind and hurled the first insults that came to mind. She'd have called him an ugly baldy fat bastard if he fit any of those criteria. It's racist language but I wonder if people of colour would be a little forgiving given she has shown she isn't racist in her personal life. Seems like we only have middle aged white people on here though?

MarkEadie wrote: »
    The girl dated black guys. I'm not sure why you brought abuse in relationships into it.

Because she could be racist even if she did date black guys previously, due to experiences in an abusive relationship, or even she sought out such a situation. The relationships that people have are often based on less than healthy circumstances..

Also, she claimed she had dated black guys previously. No proof was given, from the articles I read.
    I think she was just drunk out of her mind and hurled the first insults that came to mind. She'd have called him an ugly baldy fat bastard if he fit any of those criteria. It's racist language but I wonder if people of colour would be a little forgiving given she has shown she isn't racist in her personal life. Seems like we only have middle aged white people on here though?

How has she shown she isn't racist in her personal life, beyond claiming that she wasn't. You're throwing around a lot of belief in her statements when we have very little evidence to support it. We simply have how she behaved.. and that behavior was abysmal. And no, I don't excuse that behavior because she was drunk.. I've been drunk many times in my life and didn't abuse others in such a manner, especially, considering the reasons she was angry.

In any case, it's a silly example, since the woman was abusive for more than being racist.

• Advertisement

To the extent of jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

hawley wrote: »
    The problem doesn't seem to be getting any better.

If politicians and broadcasters keep telling us we're all racists, employers introduce quotas for "diversity" and politicians siding with race baiters like Ebun Joseph/George Nkencho family, then it's no surprise people's resentment will grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

hawley wrote: »

We need to have a conversation around racism in Ireland. It was highlighted earlier in the week on the Claire Byrne. The problem doesn't seem to be getting any better. There is a massive problem with unemployment in the black community. People coming here as asylum seekers need to be supported in education with regard to language skills and suitable working skills. A lot of Irish people don't want to discuss this issue, but it has been shown that there is the problem with racism is worsening here.

All blacks from my country that are here in Ireland always worked and never got or asked any support by the others. Go to any meat factory and is full of Brazilians working hard, never complaining. Why are we worse than those asylum seekers that they deserve and we not?

Leon Diop, one of the founders of Black and Irish:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/man-wins-fleeting-defamation-case-against-luas-and-is-awarded-500-1.4113254
    A man has been awarded €500 and his legal costs after the High Court found he was subject to a “fleeting defamation” during an incident in which he claimed a Luas tram security guard racially profiled him and his brother.

The court heard Mr Diop, who was president of Maynooth University Students’ Union at the time, got on the tram in Dublin city centre with his brother Adam on June 8th 2016.

Two STT security guards boarded at Blackhorse. The guards claimed there had been a problem that day with three black youths hopping on and off the tram without tickets and generally behaving badly.

As the guards got on, a black youth got off and immediately the first security guard went over to the Diop brothers.

Mr Justice Barr was satisfied the security guard only asked the Diops for the tickets after Leon said: “This is slightly racially profiling.”

Why are RTE giving platforms to people like him who are always seeking to play the victim?

Annasopra wrote: »

He never claimed that.

He claimed that it is not ALWAYS racist.

Do you not agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

Another thing that annoys me is the perception of racism if you ask a non-white Irish person about their background. I'm smart enough to know that is they have a broad Irish accent that they were brought up here, and asking about their parents country of origin should not be taken as racism, but as an attempt to understand this new diversity in our country. A black South African has a different background to a black Nigerian. All the information just helps me inform my decisions and understand any possible issues or viewpoints.

You could tell an Irish person from their accent, and those along the border or from NI had a markedly different understanding of certain issues than someone in Galway or Wexford. Calling racism is an easy way to shut down the conversion and attempt to hide your own background, good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Another thing that annoys me is the perception of racism if you ask a non-white Irish person about their background. I'm smart enough to know that is they have a broad Irish accent that they were brought up here, and asking about their parents country of origin should not be taken as racism, but as an attempt to understand this new diversity in our country. A black South African has a different background to a black Nigerian. All the information just helps me inform my decisions and understand any possible issues or viewpoints.

You could tell an Irish person from their accent, and those along the border or from NI had a markedly different understanding of certain issues than someone in Galway or Wexford. Calling racism is an easy way to shut down the conversion and attempt to hide your own background, good or bad.

How does knowing their parents country of origin help you manage that?

Ryan Tubridy and all those woke types keep bringing this up in interviews with black people now.

"Q: So tell me about the question you're asked about where you're from?

A: They'll say where are you from? I say Ireland...and then they'll say "no, where are you really from?""

And then Tubridy and the guest will have a little laugh and be like "ha ha, you're really from Ireland!"

First of all, I don't think many people would say where are you really from. I'd imagine it's more, where are you from originally. Most of the time it's just a conversation maker, just like if I saw an Irish person out abroad I might as them where are they from. And then I'd be like "ahh yes, I have cousins from Waterford, been there a few times, it's great in the summer!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

When I hear RTE tell us about how racist we all are, I always ask myself: Why move to a country that's worse than the one you came from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

There is more racism in these cultures through the caste system so when they cast that to one side

then we can talk equally about racism. And a group of us witnessed an incident/attack between two Nigerians

a few years ago when I was doing a FAS course and ACTION should have been taken but wasn't!

Advertisement