Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

A warm 25° in North Kildare. Going to go for a 5k jog around the local hilly roads shortly. I absolutely love going for a run on warm afternoons/evening like today's, where the sweat just pours of you and you arrive home drenched in sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Met Eireann current temps. Lovely coolness around the coasts.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fantastic day again in Kerry, got up to 24.3c and felt every bit of it, down now to a warm 21.5C

NASA EOSDIS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Savage day here in Cork, max of 23.0C on my station in Cobh. Likely a touch lower than that in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

What a day in west cork. About 22 degrees and pure blue skies. Currently out the back staring at a beautiful red sunset sky with haze on the hills. Very European like. Beautiful

• Advertisement

Much less of a breeze yesterday so felt so lovely and warm. Kids stayed in the paddling pool for hours which is usually a sign of how warm it is. Lovely.

Called up to friends near sunset yesterday and you'd know Autumn was around the corner. We'd planned to sit out on the deck but it was just too cold so ended up inside for the evening. Had brought a hoodie with me but the consensus was that it just wouldn't be pleasant to sit outside in summer clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭sporina

another fantastic day here in Cork City - perfect summer weather for me ..

so looks like ME were right with their prediction after all ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Very cloudy here in coastal East Cork. Hopefully it'll burn off soon. Met Eireann has blue skies for here all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Midlands, not a cloud in sight

Lying out in the garden

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fog although lighter hasn't cleared here on the Kerry coast, was out walking in Tralee and sun out and at least 3C higher.

19.9C here

Drove from home in north Kildare to Inchicore in Dublin a short while ago. Was 24° with a very light warm wind leaving home and it felt warmer again thanks to the near calm conditions. In Inchicore, it's only 20°, the breeze is rather noticeable and it's a cool enough wind too as it's fresh off the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

another beautiful sunny day in Dublin. Lovely week of weather. a summer to remember really (bar couple of weeks in August).

I was around Roscommon and Leitrim yesterday and it was really warm, was showing 26.5 in the car. Was 22.5 in Dublin when i got back. I have lost track of the number of days that Ireland has been up around the mid 20s this summer. Pretty standard for us to hit 20 quite a lot but mid to high 20s a sign of a very good summer. Had it not been for those first 2 weeks of August, this would have been a 9/10 for Dublin, between 7.5 - 8 for me. I would take June and July this year pretty much any summer and obviously this week is lovely too.

𝄞 "Endless open wide road running through the sky. Hyper-colour blue and the summer in your mind"

-Camelphat.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Off topic but across the pond in the gulf of Mexico (just made it as a hurricane in the last few minutes) hurricane IDA is intensifying and is expected to be similar to hurricane Katrina in August 2005, she's expected to make landfall as

catagory 3 by Monday

Current Met Eireann temps:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Foggy morning/cloudy early afternoon followed by a lovely mostly sunny afternoon in West Clare, fog returning this evening.

Currently on the river Shannon and it's amazing to see the banks of seafog rolling over hills and up the estuary. Not making much progress.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a lovely day today in Meath, wasn't that warm but felt warm in the sunshine but it did become chilly fairly fast after 8pm and proper jumper temperatures after 9pm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

max temperatures for today. Ireland is on it's own with warmth away from Southern Europe. No warmth in the Uk or other northern European countries.

we're past the peak of this warm spell and temperatures will be close to average from this weekend but it will still feel warm in the sunshine over the next week but nights could be fairly chilly.

Rainfall over the following 7 days will vary between 0mm and 0.5mm so basically dry across the entire country over the next week and possibly beyond.

Whenever this spell of dry and settled conditions ends, I feel we will begin Autumn proper so make the most of this final taste of summer for 2021.

Summer 2021 is probably the second best summer we've had since 2006 or even earlier. If it wasn't for the cool and wet first 3 weeks of August and a bit of unsettleness during first week of July this summer would have been almost uninterrupted warmth and sunshine since 30th of May. Compared to the UK, Ireland did much better this summer I feel and makes up for last year's trainwreck.

It has to be said a very unusual pattern throughout the summer with Ireland and Scotland warmer than average and often very dry but southern and eastern UK often cool and wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Day 5 of beautiful days. Not even fog this time. Rosses point is my new home. Swimming there daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

The weather is just wonderful at the moment. Utter bliss.

a glorious day in Meath, unbroken sunshine and warmish temperatures. Temperatures will revert to near normal from tomorrow but we continue with plenty of dry and settled conditons. We may get a push of warmer air into early September with high pressure continuing but winds from more of a south-easterly continental direction compared to the cooling e/ne winds we have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Absolutely glorious day in Dublin again today. Not a cloud in the sky and low 20s. You just can’t beat those uninterrupted clear blue skies and little to no breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Been enjoying the great weather so haven't been doing much stats but from a rough estimate to August 27th, this summer has a mean temperature of 15.7C at Casement which is the warmest since 2018 and no surprises there. How that would compare to the warmest summers overall:

1995 16.1C

2006 16.0C

2018 16.0C

1976 15.9C

1983 15.8C

2013 15.7C

2021 (to Aug 27th) 15.7C

2003 15.6C

1975 15.5C

1984 15.5C

Mean max is around 19.9C which is actually below every summer named above and the only one that is not above 20C so the nights or minima have added a lot to how 'warm' this summer has been rather than the maxima which were mainly warm through first half of June and most notably the July heatwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cloudy calm morning here in Castlebar. Not much happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sea fog has been killing us up here in the far north, last few days more misty than sunny. This morning same again. It did brighten up yesterday afternoon, but missing a load of sun with it.

Real shame, as I drove into Derry a couple of days ago and it was roasting.

To compare with these excellent stats, I looked at Claremorris' data, and as of the 28th, the overall warmest summers (since 1950) are:

Assuming that this summer's average will stay around the 14.7c mark, this will make it the 13th warmest in the record for the station.

Syran in his post also notes a theme: warm nights, and this most certainly has been the case on this side of the island too. Below is a badly rushed together charts showing the daily max and min for Claremorris with the black lines representing the 1961-1990 daily average.

Even during the 'cooler' spell during the first two or three weeks of August, nights still ran well above average and the low daily diurnal ranges during this period after the heatwave in July suggests that humidity values were constantly high on most days. (all data from Met Eireann)

But despite all of my complaining, the last couple of days were truly delightful. Still too warm and humid for my liking, but not as bad as the days beforehand but the sun and sky were just beautiful, due in no small part to that soft hazy mellow look which the July spell most certainly did not have, and which added an extras spark colour to everything.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Drizzle in Bray the last half hour. Roads and footpaths damp.

• Advertisement

cloudy here in Meath and temperatures back to normal for the time of year. Hopefully the sun will poke out later.

Advertisement