Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I don't know and I don't care. I just hope some of that cool air above can make it down to the surface.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lovely today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭sporina

So I guess we got our 2nd heatwave after all - and this one is nicer cos its not as "warm".... epic blue skies with a manageable heat - happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Beautiful morning in Kildare with no fog this time. Cloud over towards the east however

• Registered Users Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭OldRio

Another lovely morning in Leitrim. Temperature in the low to mid 20s during the day and only 12C at night make it perfect IMHO.

• Advertisement

Lovely morning in Arklow also

Currently 18.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cloud Bank that was forecast for Sunday evening this morning has been brought forward to Saturday evening. Could even appear in Malin Friday evening.

Weekend cloudy in North and 17c

Currently 21c in Sligo 24c likely for 3rd day in a row

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This isn't a heatwave. Temperatures are only slightly above average due to the cooling wind direction and sea breezes. Temperatures back to the high teens from this weekend, with low twenties still possible in some western areas. It's a nice spell of weather for late August and similar to the weather we had back in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Yes a heatwave requires 5 days with highs of 27c or above.

Nice spell of summer weather. Which was common enough at the end of August start of September pre 2007.

Looking at Sat24 it looks like Ireland is putting on suncream.

• Advertisement

Also the cloud I mentioned earlier is only a few miles of North Coast already so today may be the hottest day unless Shannon hits 26 tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

5º above average for 5 days is the standard definition of a heatwave worldwide. So that's 25º in Ireland in summer. It's also what ME uses.

27º is the London or south east England criteria. The Met Office uses 25º also for places further north.

25º was pretty much reached today. And will be today, and tomorrow, and maybe Friday. It's a mini heatwave.

Only by the coast. Places inland are going to get up to 26º or so. That's about 6 or 7º above average.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yep I would define a heatwave at least 5 days of mid to high twenties nationwide away from the immediate coast, not just in one or two locations. While this spell of weather is nice and a most welcome change for August, we are not really tapping into any proper warmth with this spell as the ridge is in the wrong place and we are drawing in a cool breeze from the east/north-east and this will become more northerly over the next few days bringing in cooler air. The warmth we have at the moment is home generated warmth and it's more limited to western areas. No real warmth over England/Wales with the warmth up over Scotland so this has limited the warmth potential for us.

We need a warm south-easterly off a hot continent and UK to get heatwave conditions especially now that we're on autumn's door. This is what happened in September 2016 and we had temperatures getting into the high 20s. Just like June we are lucky to be getting this spell of warm weather, it's fairly cool to our east with low pressure dominant over much of northern Europe with the jet sinking south. After today the warmest temperature anomolies will push northwards with temperatures more average by this weekend and into next week. However it looks as if we could hold onto the dry and settled conditions for another week.

Fog/cloud now touching Malin head may get blown westwards hopefully.

Tonight could get very foggy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭highdef

Pretty much reached 25° is still below 25° and therefore does not reach the criteria. The 14:00 shows no Met stations having reached 25°. The highest being 24° at Newport, Mayo. Having said that, we probably have not reached peak heat of the day but say if Newport reaches 25° this afternoon but ends up being the only one to do so, does it then count towards a future declaration of a heatwave? With cooler weather arriving in the coming days, I very much doubt that this warm spell can be defined as a heatwave.

As for the "mini-heatwave" term, that's a term made up by the media/journalists. It doesn't mean anything from a meteorological perspective. Same goes for the ludicrous term of "mini-tornado". A tornado is either a tornado or it's not a tornado. If it's not a tornado, it's likely to be a funnel cloud.

Average for this time of year is 18-19c max (warmest inland) and 9-11c min (warmest coastal).

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

I know this is about our own weather which is great at the moment, but I've also noticed Northern Iceland on Meterociel website really warm the last few days. Up around 27c/28c today which must be unusual enough that far north this time of year.

Yep, they just broke their August all time record. And over 50 days this summer have got above 20º somewhere. Insane.

Their best temps are in very unpopulated areas though. Reykjavik has been facing its usual 15 or 16º and cloud and rain most days.

Latest Met Eireann temps.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Met eireann saying up to 27 degrees, that’s pretty damn good as we approach September. More around 22 degrees and sunny in Dublin but still lovely. Endless blue skies, you just can’t beat them.

while the first few weeks in august were poor, June and July were excellent in Dublin and looks like next week will be sunny and low 20s.

This summer is a 7.5 - 8/10 for me in Dublin. Bar the first 2-3 weeks of August it has been a very good summer with a memorable heat wave within.

The fog and cloud in the North has now been included in the forecast AFTER it happened. So not really a forecast.

Really frustrating how Met Eireann continually fails to spot these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Another beautiful day, couldn’t fault it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Good morning from Greystones.

Cloudy and light rain here. Where did this come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm very happy with the weather in Dublin at the moment.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like there may be sea fog incoming for the east coast.

No sign of it Arklow yet

Barely a fleck of a breeze yet either but I expect that'll get going soon

Fog out at sea unfortunately makes a sea breeze colder even when the fog doesn't make land

Currently 19.2c here

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭barneyrub

And it's still not cleared! Day off and plans made for a sunny day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Stunning few days in Cork. Very hot now, not a cloud in the sky...

Advertisement