Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HSE came out earlier today saying they will use antigen tests for close contacts if they have to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

There seems to be a lot of panic about one person going to ICU that was fully vaccinated.

Firstly, we know nothing about this person. They could be immunocompromised and 105 years old for all we know.

Secondly, did people seriously believe that nobody that got vaccinated would end up getting sick? Come on.

Thirdly, that's ONE FECKING PERSON IN FOUR MONTHS

The constant hysteria needs to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭crossman47

We won't have another lockdown but young people should be careful. A study from UK today on the first wave shows a big proportion of those in hospital with Covid ended up with heart or lung or kidney problems https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0716/1235436-covid-complications-study/

They have been using antigen tests in hospitals for months but Paddy cant be trusted to use them because he might use butter to get a false negative.

Denmark has much lower numbers than us and they have free antigen tests available everywhere. The antigen test shows if you are currently infectious, the pcr test can show traces of virus long after recovery.

Time for the Government to appoint new advisors and lead this country back to normality.

• Advertisement

Nobody aged 105 went to icu here....the average age of icu admissions rarely went above 63 (iirc they stopped publishing this info)

The average age of death was in 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Anyone know what the age profile is of the people admitted into hospital and if they were fully or half vaccinated?

Young people are less likely to be hospitalised with this though to be fair. The study also stated that males and those aged older than 60 years were most likely to have a complication. 81% of those males who did get at least one complication also had one co-morbidity.

Not denying long COVID exists btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

It is true that after a certain percentage of the population have been vaccinated, natural virus spread has some benefits provided it does not go completely out of control. The difficulty is determining what that vaccination level is and whether it is sufficient that the benefits of immunity through contracting the virus outweigh the costs.

This view contrasts with a fairly common one on this forum that the more people are shielded from the virus while vaccinations are proceeding the the quicker things can open up. The problem with the vaccination only route, of course, is that it is not taking advantage of immunity through catching the virus. It is relying purely on vaccinations. The danger is that progress may be sufficiently slow that another winter approaches and full opening then needs to be postponed to the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think a few vaccinated fully have got Covid again in the UK

• Advertisement

It is still possible to get Covid even with the vaccine but the impact is less.

But if the Delta variant has a natural R of 7.5, it should stand to reason that there will not be enough people to pass the active infection onto.

At a critical point, probably not too far off, the peak will decline exponentially thereafter.

What boggles me is that Tony said last week that the wave is coming, and we cannot do anything about it. Now today Ronan Glynn said that with public health measures we can prevent it from spreading (too late). It's here already and we're seeing it but let's be real - SURELY, with the vulnerable vaccinated, this disease is not a huge risk anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭jackboy

Can’t happen until children are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Very true. There is still a calculation to be made however. In reaching that number after which numbers start to decline, how many hospitalisations, ICU admissions, deaths will there be in order to gain the benefit of not having to close up again in autumn and have the whole thing drag out in to next year.

I think the UK have probably made this calculation and found that there's more to be gained from opening up now in the summer than remaining restricted and prolonging problems.

You mean the one large population cohort of the country largely unaffected by the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭greyday

Young people nearly as likely now to suffer from Long Covid with organ damage as over 50's.

Remember that study is looking at the first wave in the UK, not now. With better treatment options, stronger contact tracing and now vaccines, I think this is a lesser issue than it was from the first wave.

can anyone tell me what ages the people are being admitted to hospital and if they have been half or fully or not vaccinated?

thanks.

Very sceptical about this.

Long COVID, by the way, is associated with over 200 symptoms.

How on Earth do you differentiate between COVID-related post-viral syndrome from other symptoms that many of these patients would have experienced anyway given their own health status?

Attributing all to COVID is wrong. There is an interminable blizzard of factual mist regarding what they call long COVID.

Post-viral syndromes are not rare, so let's not exaggerate the terminology either.

What's needed is long-term, longitudinal studies. You cannot conclude what constitutes long COVID by short-term analysis.

It will take many years to clearly define what we mean by the term. This will also involve filtering out most patients who are falsely associating their symptoms with the virus.

Correlation does not equal causation, and this principle is amplified in cases where we aren't quite sure what we're dealing with.

There is too much certainly regarding long COVID. More research, long term, is required.

This idea that a large slice of the young are somehow highly susceptible to severe organ damage cannot be true. If it were true, I'd expect to see far more cases of severe damage in the youth across the world.

• Advertisement

1173 today, more than 80% under 45, no test as yet to determine those susceptible to suffer from long Covid, where are you getting it is less of an issue?

AFAIK there is no treatment to stop people suffering long covid thus far.

But what we do know is that long COVID is most associated with patients hospitalized with the virus.

Most of the young will not be hospitalized, so the fear generated that the young of today will experience severe long-term effects is just that - fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'huge risk'. If you are now one of the unvaccinated young that today are being told by a UK research report that you have a far higher than previously thought chance of developing a 'long covid' condition (heart, lung, kidney issues)... then you are now the most vulnerable category and you might not share the 'not a huge risk' attitude..

Bottom line is... less people should be seriously affected by this current delta wave.... but if you are now in the target virus group (young and unvaccinated), you are now the most vulnerable risk and the more people that catch it, the more will end up in hospital. Todays research shows that a sizeable proportion of those who end up in hospital, including the young, will develop long term conditions. It is still a numbers game - the higher the rate of infection generally, the higher the risk of increased hospital cases. If you end up in hospital, young or old, you have a higher than previously thought chance of having a long term condition. Ronan Glynn explained it well on the 6 one news tonight.

We do not have enough of the overall population vaccinated yet to say that the disease is no longer a huge risk. It is currently a higher risk for the young .... who decides how huge that risk is, on their behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

If contact tracing worked sick people and their contacts would be at home isolating and wouldn't be out spreading covid which has lead to such high cases.

What age are those hospitalised? Where they vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

All I know is my dad who is in his 60s had what looked extremely like COVID, very early in the outbreak. At the time everyone brushed it aside.

He had been around people who’d been travelling extensively. He got what was diagnosed as viral pneumonia (based on oxygen levels) and was treated at home with antibiotics, antivirals and steroids. I assume only the steroids worked as the other drugs would have only cleared bacterial infection or influenza.

I got it too. So did my brother & my niece.

We all recovered, but wow it was the worst I’ve ever felt in my entire life. It was so bad I even put emergency money into family members bank accounts for paying bills in case I ended up in hospital as I thought I was going to die. It was THAT bad.

My lungs were “bubbling” when I breathed and I spent nearly 3 weeks in bed. Couldn’t move. Huge temperature. Pouring sweat. Couldn’t smell. Couldn’t taste. Felt absolutely bloody awful. It about 3 months to feel remotely right again and even at this stage I still get out of breath way easier than I used to.

My GP at the time told me it couldn’t have been COVID and must have been flu. We didn’t do any tests and I had an antibody test 6 months after which came back negative, which I have subsequently learnt is meaningless as it was too late.

My dad still has a cough almost 2 years later. He’s has CT scans, MRI, and a bronchoscopy, without any significant issues other than mild scaring showing up but he’s still coughing really heavily, particularly at night.

He’s subsequently been double jabbed with Moderna. I’ve had one jab of Pfizer and so have the other ppl who got it.

In my experience, Long covid is *absolutely, definitely* a thing! Don’t just dismiss it.

I think I may have conflated what you said with a different study on long-COVID. Apologies if so!

Sounds rough :(

Hope his lungs recover a bit more, the poor guy. Glad you all recovered from the worst of it.

If it seemed like I was dismissing it, I'm not btw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Long covid is a weird one, only been a few weeks of delta but seemingly it’s life altering

This can’t end until we change the metrics

Advertisement