Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

ISAG are back out polluting the airwaves now that cases are going up.

This quote jumped out at me

“Tony Holohan is one of the most respected public health physicians I know. If Tony Holohan says it’s not safe, it’s not safe. That’s who you should take your public health advice from.”

ISAG and members of NPHET are openly retweeting articles and backing each other up re prolonging closures. Yet no question to any ISAG member on their open wish to deceive the Irish public & Government.

Now we have Tony Holohan having the absolute gall to try and ban children from restaurants & claim they need a vaccine for a virus that affects them less than flu. A virus that will continue to circulate globally vaccine or no vaccine. The damage being done to the family unit, to children and their development and to society in general is huge from statements like this.

We have a HSE that seems worse than ever after Ireland spending 10s of Billions of Euro on the Covid pandemic, keeping businesses closed and people out of work instead of investing in new a&e’s, staff that came home when called upon, new hospitals and buildings.

One would have to wonder what the aims and objectives of these people truly are when facts don’t match the narrative.

Post edited by CruelSummer on

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭greyday

Long covid has been studied long before the delta variant became dominant, since the delta variant is more transmissible it is logical to expect more people to suffer from long covid if the numbers keep rising exponentially as we are currently seeing even with more than half the population fully vaccinated.

Can we have fewer of these statements?

Scientists are not infallible. Science can tell you what the facts are, but not what to do with those facts.

This applies to NPHET. They have been consistently wrong. Indeed, many of the policies espoused here - on an online forum - have been practiced elsewhere on the continent and to great effect, too.

This almost religious zealotry with NPHET is beyond absurd.

Early scientific studies regarding long COVID are premature at best. Clearly, later studies will prove more fruitful. Second, it's also premature to selectively quote which studies you prefer - and quote them accordingly.

What I'd rather do is wait -- wait and analyse longitudinal studies and see where the cards really fall.

Anyone can quote a scientist for any discipline in any journal. It's not the way science works.

And for pandemic policy, you cannot derive what you ought to do based on models that have been consistently proven to be wrong.

Does this mean I'm anti-science? No.

It means I believe that the problem is multifactorial and should involve many factors. Religiously adhering to early studies that suit one's narrative is, however, the one sure way not to proceed.

so is long flu https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29487124/

and just about any viral infection. Remember viruses cause cancer too, HPV for example..and Microbes like H pylori cause cancer also, one in 5 people can have H pylori and yet stomach cancers are not being checked due to Covid cases!

Tony needs to revise his idea of the precautionary principle to be honest. This is a convergence of interests now, "Experts" refusing to share data and offering a zero tolerance policy of governance. Media playing their part with the usual sensationalism and conflict creation between haves and have nots of the vaccine population. And lastly the politicians who are saving babies and not kissing them anymore..saving your granny, your grandad, wife, son etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

I'd still listen to a scientist ahead of randomers on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Spiderman0081

And you had everyone thinking you did care for people’s “rights” up until now.

Apologies but you sound a bit off your head TBH, you don't accept preliminary studies that strongly suggest a significant number of people infected with suffer from long covid, your opinion counts far less than scientists who have studied this from the outset, in fact I would say to me your uneducated opinion is dangerous.

Most reasonable people would admit we need to be cautious until we have numbers under control due to what we already know about long covid, what we learn in the future will be of enormous benefit but what we already know is reason enough to be cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I’ve no doubt we could say that until we are on our deathbeds

How can we call anything “long” when Covid itself only started last year…

Obviously it generates clicks talking about long Covid but there is really no evidence at all that people will be sick long term.

The vast majority are grand a few days later if they even felt sick at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Why are you counting pre-pandemic government debt as Covid debt?

The government has not spent 250 billion on it's Covid response since March of last year FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I’m not suggesting that you can prevent every infection. However that wasn’t “long flu” given the travel patterns of some of his colleagues, which included China (including Wuhan) it was almost certainly the original strain of COVID.

I’ve had and seen influenza several times ans the symptoms were significantly different.

I’d add that he was vaccinated against flu that year. So was I. I know flu vaccines are hit and miss given the technology used (drastically different to the covid jabs). I also know flu can be deadly, I lost a very active, fit and healthy older relative to it a couple of years ago.

All I’m saying is there are very large numbers of reports of on going serious symptoms after COVID. Being a virus that’s new to humans that’s also not at all surprising. It isn’t well adapted to us and we aren’t well adapted to it either - hence the extreme immune response and so on.

We will get there with mass vaccination of everyone before the year is out and that should hopefully allow us to build herd immunity if people can get covid and recover.

Im by no means an advocate of staying locked down for ever. I just think we need to be a bit practical and maximise vaccination (which we are doing.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Tony Holohan hasn't tried to ban children from restaurants. He's said it's unadvisable to bring them into these indoor settings and that the safer option to eat outside exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm not saying the Government isn't in debt. It's debatable if it's never being higher, depending on metrics and comparison used.

But if a poster is implying the Government has spend 250bil on the pandemic so far, they should be called out on a blatant lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

The vast majority wouldn't even know they have it.

For every long covid scare story there is a hundred who have recovered with no after effects and another 100 who had zero symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

There are also a number of people damaged by the vaccines, but no-one much cares about them.

A tiny fraction of a percent which you have been warned about by regulatory authorities and the media, your statement is also untrue.

You realise that even it were only 1/100 is still around 49,000 people in an Irish population. The problem with this is it will go endemic. It already is. So for any stat, you need to assume we’ll all get it at some stage.

Getting it post vaccination is a hell of a lot better than getting it with a naive immune system.

We are very close to achieving a target of most of the adult population being vaccinated and hopefully can extend beyond that, into younger ages as soon as safe to do so.

When we are there, covid infections should just be adding to vaccination immunity. At present we’re about 3/4 way there.

Watch the U.K. for a few weeks and see how it progresses. They seem very enthusiastic to test a theory and hopefully they’re correct.

It’s still a few weeks too soon to assume they’re home and dry as there’s been a lead time between infection and hospitalisation and, as yet, that hasn’t been passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Warned about? But forced to take the vaccine, or ridiculed, so that’s ok you were warned. We don’t know the real figures as there is bound to be under reporting of milder cases - unlike long covid which is likely over reported- come on, depression is counted as long covid.

• Advertisement

The old chestnut, the medical community hide figures that would prove your opinion but over report figures that disprove your opinion, well done you, You have me convinced :)

Seems the U.K. has added France to “Amber Plus” requiring 10 day at home quarantine or 5 day test and release (at your own expense), even if you’re double vaccinated.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57869880

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pebniuty168

Anyone know roughly how long before you test negative on a rapid antigen test following exposure?

And what if somebody does not want a vaccine prey tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Ah stop will you! That’s what he is insinuating and you know that. The man is power unto himself!

I’ll be going on a family holiday to Wicklow first week in august my wife and I will be fully vaccinated and I sure as hell will be bringing my 2 kids to a restaurant indoors or outdoors! Who is Tony Holahan think he is telling me what I can and cannot do!

it’s obvious at this stage that the Taoiseach has had enough! And it’s about time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

anyone know how you delete your account for good???

PM me if you do thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Do you ever feel embarrassed repeating the lockdown doesn’t work tripe every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I think in fairness Dr Campbell, with his lecturer in nursing background, gives a good overview of the situation. This can be missing in some of the discussion by experts, most of whom see part if the picture in great detail but only part of the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I think your man here is pished!!!

What a tool, replying to a message from months ago!

Advertisement