Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Polar101 wrote: »
    Do people just trawl through Twitter for tweets they don't like, so that they can be triggered for weeks? It's hard to understand why some people are so obsessed with Tony H. I certainly wouldn't spend any time reading what he puts up on Twitter.

The guy has had primary control over what an Irish citizen could do for 15 months now

I put no credibility in his words but he does have power to determine what my democratic freedom is so I will listen to them

An attitude like yours is why Irish media is in such a bad place right now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The only figure that matters now is how many with the virus need to go to hospital.

Between 30th of May and 6th of June there were 1035 new admissions in the UK with 36,736 new cases.

That’s 2.8% which is great news really.

Questions are being asked over there, they’re worried about their freedom day when they’ve had a lot more freedom than we’ve had to this point, I’m surprised that there aren’t more questions raised here to be honest. We seem to be waiting for the Armageddon variant to take hold, maybe we could use the massive fecking blue thing surrounding us to our advantage.

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1402646863887671299?s=20

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1402853471741743105?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The guy has had primary control over what an Irish citizen could do for 15 months now

His job is to assess the situation from a medical perspective and make recommendations on which government decides.

He controls nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The only figure that matters now is how many with the virus need to go to hospital.

Between 30th of May and 6th of June there were 1035 new admissions in the UK with 36,736 new cases.

That’s 2.8% which is great news really.

Questions are being asked over there, they’re worried about their freedom day when they’ve had a lot more freedom than we’ve had to this point, I’m surprised that there aren’t more questions raised here to be honest. We seem to be waiting for the Armageddon variant to take hold, maybe we could use the massive fecking blue thing surrounding us to our advantage.

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1402646863887671299?s=20

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1402853471741743105?s=20

That first tweet is very encouraging if the figures are accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭JRant

eagle eye wrote: »
    The amount of haters of an honest man doing his job is unreal.
    And all of this while his wife suffered and died from cancer. It's only been four months since she passed away.

Imagine thinking that a man tending to his ill wife when he's not working has hidden agendas. Just unreal how crazy so many have become.

In many ways, any person going through such an awful experience, should not have been left in such a position. The government should have put him on indefinite compassionate leave at the time.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

That first tweet is very encouraging if the figures are accurate

There were 741 hospital admissions on 27 February. I don’t see the numbers released for today yet but it’s likely to be ~200.

The difference is massive.

It would take a million cases a week now to get to January level of hospital admissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It would take a million cases a week now to get to January level of hospital admissions.
    You couldn't show the auld calculations there, could ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    25% of cases in the North are the Indian variant. Projections today state there could 1200 cases per day by July 1st. I'm not a misery guys or a doom monger. Just relaying what they said.

1200 cases per day in the height of summer. And yet some ot the usual suspects on this and other threads in this forum still desperately claim that Covid is seasonal. Clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Funnily enough last year we went from 105 to 75 cases in hospital on June 10th.
    Great date for a drop in numbers.

59 is some number.

Remember when it was north of 2,000 in Jan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cork2021

TheDoctor wrote: »

59 is some number.

Fantastic numbers! No doubt there will be a small increase during the day tomorrow but Reid should keep doing this if he receives the data. Has made my day seeing that figure!

First Up wrote: »
    His job is to assess the situation from a medical perspective and make recommendations on which government decides.

He controls nothing.

Bull****, he's highly influential and you know it. He's akin to the only qualified driver on a bus carrying a peoples on roads, only he can navigate and anticipate, in a land where he's designated as the only man who speaks the language.

he has the room and he cannot stop tweeting about it.

He'll have his very own Christian Jessen moment if he keeps it up, it's only a matter of time. that's the beauty of vanity.

His buddy Doctor doom nearly had one with his Aldi/LIDL tweet too remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

<Snip>

Ignored threadban

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

TheDoctor wrote: »

59 is some number.

Still can’t get over the rate it’s dropping has kept up, really expected it to slow with smaller numbers. Obviously people do longer stints in ICU so that number drops slower, but we’re not far off ICU being more than general hospital inpatients. Add in the news of St James today and it’s very very positive.

Still can’t get over the rate it’s dropping has kept up, really expected it to slow with smaller numbers. Obviously people do longer stints in ICU so that number drops slower, but we’re not far off ICU being more than general hospital inpatients. Add in the news of St James today and it’s very very positive.

it would want to be based on the "efficaciousness" claims coming from Luke O'Neil. so it seems all is well OR the vaccines are not nearly as good, in which case what's the point of it all??

Either way, we have to face some hard truths..it's all at an end..or the Vaccines are a croc.

take your pic anyone, the former will upset RTE anyway..

Back to melting ice caps and Gretta thundra reports for poor oul Faux science correspondent George lee.

Ficheall wrote: »
    You couldn't show the auld calculations there, could ya?

With 113,064 hospital admissions in the UK in January if you take the June average so far (1st to 6th is available on gov.uk) of a 2.85% hospitalisation rate to cases it equals 3.9 million new cases needed to get to that January number of hospital admissions.

Over a month that’s about 130,000 cases per day, the daily average in January was about 43,000.

I don’t see why that rate would increase now, it’s been on a downtrend since January, which makes sense because the older are vaccinated and the younger generally don’t need hospital care when they get the virus.

If that rate starts to increase then obviously it is concerning, but there are plenty of cases now and it hasn’t increased so signs are very promising. It looks like the hospitals are safe and the “freedom day” can go ahead, people can do their own risk assessment, they can sit in their home until they get both doses or they can choose not to because it shouldn’t effect the hospitals.

They’ll probably leave the decision until end of next week to see where that rate is at. If it’s still hovering around 2-3% all systems are go I would think.

Edit: just seen the announcement is Monday

All figures https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

eagle eye wrote: »
    The amount of haters of an honest man doing his job is unreal.
    And all of this while his wife suffered and died from cancer. It's only been four months since she passed away.

Imagine thinking that a man tending to his ill wife when he's not working has hidden agendas. Just unreal how crazy so many have become.
    Honest man? Short memories anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

With 113,064 hospital admissions in the UK in January if you take the June average so far (1st to 6th is available on gov.uk) of a 2.85% hospitalisation rate to cases it equals 3.9 million new cases needed to get to that January number of hospital admissions.

Over a month that’s about 130,000 cases per day, the daily average in January was about 43,000.

I don’t see why that rate would increase now, it’s been on a downtrend since January, which makes sense because the older are vaccinated and the younger generally don’t need hospital care when they get the virus.

If that rate starts to increase then obviously it is concerning, but there are plenty of cases now and it hasn’t increased so signs are very promising. It looks like the hospitals are safe and the “freedom day” can go ahead, people can do their own risk assessment, they can sit in their home until they get both doses or they can choose not to because it shouldn’t effect the hospitals.

They’ll probably leave the decision until end of next week to see where that rate is at. If it’s still hovering around 2-3% all systems are go I would think.

Edit: just seen the announcement is Monday

All figures https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Ah, sorry - thought you were talking about Ireland. Thanks for taking the time anyway!

rusty cole wrote:
    Bull****, he's highly influential and you know it. He's akin to the only qualified driver on a bus carrying a peoples on roads, only he can navigate and anticipate, in a land where he's designated as the only man who speaks the language.

It sounds like you would prefer the bus driver was blind and had no licence but kept the passengers cheered up with a sing song .

I know which bus I'd take.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It sounds like you would prefer the bus driver was blind and had no licence but kept the passengers cheered up with a sing song .

I just want the ****er to stop and let us off the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

If those were the only options you’d be making the right choice.

I’d like an option where the bus driver is qualified but just drives the bus to a destination and schedule not mostly decided by him.

I’d like an option where the bus driver is qualified but just drives the bus to a destination and schedule not mostly decided by him.

We all want to get to the destination but the schedule (and route) is decided by the virus. People blocking the road by acting the eejit just causes delays and detours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭crossman47

Maybe Holohan is right https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/543484341/stop-using-innova-sars-cov-2-antigen-rapid-qualitative-test-fda-safety-communication.

A Dáil committee took advice this week from "an international authority on antigen testing" Dr Michael Mina. He disputed CMO's view. Within 24 hours of his testimony FDA issued a warning letter about this device!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

crossman47 wrote: »
    Maybe Holohan is right https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/543484341/stop-using-innova-sars-cov-2-antigen-rapid-qualitative-test-fda-safety-communication.

A Dáil committee took advice this week from "an international authority on antigen testing" Dr Michael Mina. He disputed CMO's view. Within 24 hours of his testimony FDA issued a warning letter about this device!

That's one test that is not even FDA approved?

There are many different versions of these tests that are FDA or in our case ECDC approved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Eod100 wrote: »

June 10 2020: 10 Confirmed cases, 75 in hospital, 29 ICU
    June 10 2021: 398 Confirmed cases, 59 in hospital, 23 ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Are we still in a Level at the moment, or have the levels been abandoned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Completely abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Completely abandoned.

They were abandoned as quick as they were rolled out...

Remember level 3 and a half!!!

No metrics were issued that would guide the progress from one level to the next.

The thing was torn up a few weeks into it...pathetic.

• Advertisement

Imagine revising your approach during the biggest global crisis in 75 years and not just sticking to the first thing you tried

Advertisement