Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Me personally, hell, I’m watching the daily figures like a damn hawk

I’m HOPING against hope that we can trust the system this time but man, I am no way naive about this situation

Be times I would love to say “pandemic over, done and dusted folks” then....

I switch on the international news and see that damn virus ragin’ thru Asia Africa and South America

How many mutations have there been the last few months?

Boardsies I hope and reverently want this cluster fcuk over with....

Believe me I do...

I just don’t fully buy into the “it’s all over folks” narrative quiet yet

The mutations are being eaten alive by the vaccines. Case numbers are going up in some countries and that's to be expected given the opening up but deaths are absolutely tiny compared to before because of vaccination.

When the younger groupings are done Covid will be yesterdays news.

Don't worry, be happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Antigens are being pushed hard by lobby groups citing all types of fanastical results. When you actually scratch below the surface in any of the countries that implemented them the results are very mixed.

Nphet are in favour of antigens as an addition to pcr. The problem lies with the aviation and other industries want ito use it instead of pcr.

I'm personally glad nphet have not backed down on this issue and have choosens people health over these lobby groups wealth.

TheDoctor wrote: »
    King Holohan certainly won’t like being summoned by his subordinates

This really is a bizarre little corner of the internet

Me personally, hell, I’m watching the daily figures like a damn hawk

I’m HOPING against hope that we can trust the system this time but man, I am no way naive about this situation

Be times I would love to say “pandemic over, done and dusted folks” then....

I switch on the international news and see that damn virus ragin’ thru Asia Africa and South America

How many mutations have there been the last few months?

Boardsies I hope and reverently want this cluster fcuk over with....

Believe me I do...

I just don’t fully buy into the “it’s all over folks” narrative quiet yet

Wait until you hear there are mutations in every single host.

This makes absolutely no sense.
    Surely 100% of all cases are as a direct consequence of close contact with a confirmed case.

Otherwise how did they pick it up in the first place?

An untraced contact. Epidemiological link not established to another case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The Oireachtas committee invited members of companies selling antigen tests to make the case. I find it baffling there's no authors from the HIQA reports invited?
    Or have they spoken.
    With all due respect to CMO it's not his area. He can only reflect the guidance the various domestic reporting bodies and pilot studies give him. He should appear but it'd be a bit like asking Paul Reid the same questions. Largely pointless imo.

General note:
    The Oireachtas Health Committee has been an absolute omnishambles throughout this pandemic.
    This was a different committee apparently so hopefully I'm being harsh on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

This really is a bizarre little corner of the internet

Do you think Tony will like that he was asked to speak before the committee? I certainly don't think he likes it and I don't think he'll do it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Turtwig wrote: »
    The Oireachtas committee invited members of companies selling antigen tests to make the case. I find it baffling there's no authors from the HIQA reports invited?
    Or have they spoken.
    With all due respect to CMO it's not his area. He can only reflect the guidance the various domestic reporting bodies and pilot studies give him. He should appear but it'd be a bit like asking Paul Reid the same questions. Largely pointless imo.

General note:
    The Oireachtas Health Committee has been an absolute omnishambles throughout this pandemic.
    This was a different committee apparently so hopefully I'm being harsh on this one.

He is not slow speaking out about things that are not his area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

He is not slow speaking out about things that are not his area.

Just as well that this does not happen here. :)

Today NI went over 100 cases for the first time in a while, combined with the low 26 county figure (which may reflect the bank holiday) the rates North and South are about the same. The vaccines are working and having the south a couple of weeks behind in opening is a sound plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Klonker wrote: »
    Do you think Tony will like that he was asked to speak before the committee? I certainly don't think he likes it and I don't think he'll do it either.

Not sure it will phase him all that much. He will do as he did as Special Covid Committee hearing he was asked to appear before, and give an overlong opening statement to waste as much time as possible and give long-winded vague-speak answers to questions asked that make it clear he is acting always in the interest of public health, and no wrongdoing by him will ever be pinned down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Turtwig wrote: »
    Or have they spoken.

General note:

Anyone can make submissions to a committee but they decide who to invite.
    They are supposed to gather information to make recommendations. Some of them can be very good, especially in the development of long-term policies or in getting key insights for legislation. There's quite a level of simplistic examination of this by political bodies and given the amount of exposure in the media of many of the people they call there is not a whole lot new to learn. TBH one gets the sense that the political class is miffed at being largely sidelined for over a year and are looking for ways to reassert their importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not sure it will phase him all that much. He will do as he did as Special Covid Committee hearing he was asked to appear before, and give an overlong opening statement to waste as much time as possible and give long-winded vague-speak answers to questions asked that make it clear he is acting always in the interest of public health, and no wrongdoing by him will ever be pinned down.
    So it's right place for him, in a room full of waffling politicians!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Delta variant cases have doubled in NI.

Here is a good video on the Delta variant. Symptoms seem now slightly different with this variant possibly due to the younger age groups.
    UK likely to see 20,000 daily cases next week. Double dose of the vaccines remains very effective. Probably wise for them to hold back on lifting restrictions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHBua3aXQ7c

Vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate and the variants mean diddly squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Idiotic thinking.

Are you saying the vaccines don’t work? I hate to disappoint you they do.

Idiotic thinking.

I'll bite despite the insult. Explain?

Brilliant news to start the day off on the right foot. Thanks for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Brilliant news to start the day off on the right foot. Thanks for that :)

Vaccines work. The begining of the end ;)

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Vaccines work. The begining of the end ;)

Incredible. I'm actually feeling pretty emotional today on hearing that Saint James's news. I've a good friend who's wife works the front line in there on Covid wards as a nurse and im trilled for her now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Undeniable proof that the vaccines work, absolutely fantastic news, thanks for posting.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Taking the kids swimming this evening, 2 family get togethers over the next 2 weekends, then summer camp for the kids, followed by a week away in a hotel in August....God it feels good to have some normality and things to look forward too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

lrushe wrote: »
    Taking the kids swimming this evening, 2 family get togethers over the next 2 weekends, then summer camp for the kids, followed by a week away in a hotel in August....God it feels good to have some normality and things to look forward too:)

I haven't been this excited for Summer since the day my Leaving Cert ended :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

optogirl wrote: »
    I haven't been this excited for Summer since the day my Leaving Cert ended :)

Definitely, I even ordered the kids Halloween costumes over the weekend, it's go big or go home this year :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

And numbers in ICU down to 23 ;)

TefalBrain wrote: »
    I'll bite despite the insult. Explain?

I am not convinced the op wasn't actually describing their own though process.

Surprised to hear this from Staines of all people but..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-in-ireland-no-spike-in-cases-after-dublin-street-parties-n6z8n62tt

Imagine my surprise. I’m shocked, shocked I tell ya..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

wadacrack wrote: »
    Delta variant cases have doubled in NI.

Here is a good video on the Delta variant. Symptoms seem now slightly different with this variant possibly due to the younger age groups.
    UK likely to see 20,000 daily cases next week. Double dose of the vaccines remains very effective. Probably wise for them to hold back on lifting restrictions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHBua3aXQ7c

One of the problems here is NPHET/Dr Tony won't accept that the virus is less deadly to the younger population

Advertisement