Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Got in 100km on a club spin today @ 27.4km/h with 575m. Whilst it was fine on the outward leg (although windy), man, was it wet coming home! I had a shower when I got home and the amount of grit that came off my legs. https://www.strava.com/activities/5752688309

Almost home, I encountered this agressive overtake on a single file bridge over the Royal Canal in Confey (Leixlip). I passed him as he was queueing to get towards the lights at the bottom of Captain's Hill and just politely asked if the impatience was necessary. His response was that I was slowing him down!

I went on to the red light and he shortly caught up beside me and told me how I was breaking the rules of the road for being in the middle of the road and when I challenged this, he informed me of his many years as a garda and he knew the rules and I was in the wrong. I suggested that we clear this up at the local garda station but he declined. The muppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What a dick. Another dreamer pulling the "I used to be a guard" lark to shut you up.

It would wither you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, that was a little windier than i expected.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lovel spin away from the mountains for a change taking in a section of the Grand canal, including the Corbally branch as far as Corbally harbour. Seemed to be going into the wind all day and the slick tyres weren't really up to the mud in places but stunning for all that. Also enjoyed exploring some of the Kildare l-roads that were new to me and managed a route that avoid the major roads pretty well. 120k with 860m of up over 6 hours, https://www.strava.com/activities/5760076324

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Bettystown, Duleek, Garristown, Man Of War and back to Julianstown via The Happy Valley!!

Happy Valley a great spin. Not a car on the road only a few equally happy walkers. Was straight into a headwind but hey ho.

(Phone insists on rotating photos)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭secman

Headed into Gorey to meet up for club spin, Inch, Arklow, Woodenbridge, Aughrim, Carnew and back to Gorey. 85km avg 30.1kph; 600 meters.

After coffee chat, 16km home 27.9kph

Windy oul day and fresh enough.

101km for the day and for the week 😬

Went out with the intention of doing about 60 or 70km in the hills around Saggart. After about 30km, I was coming down Athgoe hill doing just shy of 60km/h and found that my rear derailleur cable had snapped and I was stuck on the smallest cog. Being thankful for small mercies, I was glad it was a gear cable and not a brake cable.

Anyhow, still had to get another 15km in to hit my weekly target so ploughed on. Thankfully the wind was on my back but staying in the top gear even crossing bridges, etc isn't good when you've dodgy knees.

In the end I managed 48km at 28.9km/h with only 250m of climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

44km yesterday with 404m in avg 24.9kph. Actually can't feel it today in the legs at all, just need to get some weekday spins in but it is near impossible, leave home at 6am not home until 7. Then dinner and put the kids to bed. Might have to look at Zwift and a turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

72km yesterday from Laragh taking in Wicklow Gap, Slieve Maan, Shay Elliott. 1600m of climbing.

The wind made for fairly hairy descents. Front wheel went in to a massive shimmy coming down the Wicklow Gap and had to come to a complete stop Scared the bejaysus out of me so took it handy descending after that.

Kudos to those who do this on the WW200

Post edited by hesker on

• Advertisement

Twas windy yesterday alright. Had a little wobble going past a farm gate around Bellewstown somewhere. Yikes.

Rain better stay away. Off out after lunch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't think you'll have gotten lucky on that front.

Nope

A sqidgy short one.

Skryne Garristown Duleek Kentstown Skryne

A week down in Kerry within striking distance of the mountains. Restricted to late in the evening after the kids went to bed but got four decent spins including Ballaghisheen Pass x 2 and Ballybeama Pass. Ballaghisheen has a nice kick at the end and I was cycling into the wind both nights. Nearly 900m climbing in 50k on each spin so the legs should benefit.

Absolutely great cycling from Glenbeigh into a very quiet and secluded part of the world. Would love to have done a few long loops but it was impossible to find the time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5765925401

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

240km around the county of Kildare yesterday. 'Twas like November, grey skies, wet and what seemed like a permanent headwind despite my direction. I found some new roads and some familiar stretches. It's a good route. There are several in-county 200km routes available through Audax Ireland. People got creative during the lockdowns.

https://strava.app.link/r0AU8Og7Iib

been thinking about doing it for a while, have the route saved to my wahoo, hopefully in 2 weeks time I’ll get a good day, got soaked yesterday just going round the lakes, fair play for staying out for 10 hours in that weather,

managaed a flat 50km today, fastest i think i've ever averaged over a reasonable distance, 32km/h. little bit cooler out, but very clammy.

Bellewstown from the NW, up past the quarry. Think it's my favorite way up.

Down the east and over to Donore. Along the Boyne to slane up the short sharp one at fennor. Up the long double at realtog.

Then Tara from the north.

About 80k with 800m climbing.

Lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Was down in Wexford this weekend, got out yesterday for a cycle, and just managed to get home before the rain.

Kilmuckridge, Blackwater, Curracloe, Castlebridge, Oilgate, Enniscorthy, Ferns, Ballyedmond, Morriscastle Strand (for an ice cream) and back to Kilmuckridge.

Grand total of 81 km with 650m climb, at a speed of 26 kph.

https://strava.app.link/KLvLdbY9Jib

Feeling exhausted, I took a rest day yesterday and so decided to do yesterdays club spin to Tara today.

After a few minutes I noticed that my Garmin was low on battery (first time that's happened) so decided to persevere with low battery anxiety rather than go home. My plan was to buy a power pack somewhere, maybe Dunshaughlin. As it turned out, nowhere had one. In the end a petrol station near Tara offered to charge it up but all they had at hand was an iPhone charger or I could buy an android cable (I could see the cables so I do believe her). One coffee and 25 mins later and I was on my way.

Later along the spin I was coming down a slight slope towards Moyglare (near Maynooth) and I felt the back tyre a little low. Seconds later and taking the left at the bottom of the hill confirmed that the tyre was indeed flat. Having just put that tube into it a few weeks ago, I didn't want the hassle of having to take it off again (and I was already late home) so I pumped it up and thankfully it held the charge so on I went (with about 8km to home or 15 to hit the 100km target). I had to boost the pressure a couple of times along the way but the tube seemed happy.

I persevered and arrived in Leixlip at 99.87km and the tyre pressure went altogether. Bugger it! I walked it a little to get it over the 100 before stopping my Garmin (which had 18% left!).

https://strava.app.link/qsJvIPctKib

• Advertisement

Back on home turf and managed to get out this morning. Unusual north westerly blowing which made pacing a bit hard. Never quite with me and never quite against me.

Gave it a good bit of welly for 58km with 491m climbing at 31.9kmph. Felt good and strong after getting lots of hills in my legs last week.

Endured one of the worst close passes on an open, straight road with no oncoming traffic. Had to have been deliberate.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5800895743

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Did the 9 Stones Circuit in a lovely corner of Wexford, Wicklow & Carlow today with some lads from the club Tuesday group. As we neared Mt Leinster it became obvious that it's cloudy cap wasn't going anywhere and when we got to 9 Stones, the pass and the road up to the mast were shrouded in mist. Given that I was unlikely to be in the area again any time soon, I decided to head for the summit.

Thinking back, I know I have been on plenty of longer and higher climbs but I certainly don't remember any as unrelenting. On the few occasions when it dropped to 12%, it almost felt like I could freewheel. Unfortunately I forgot to check my mileage before the start so I had no idea when the suffering was going to end and visibility was down to about 10m. Eventually a set of gates appeared in the mist with staywires presumably for the invisible mast alongside.

Coming down was nearly as tough hauling on the brake levers in the damp conditions but was mercifully a whole lot shorter. Thankfully there was a tail wind for the largely flat or downhill return to the car in Ferns.

First time over 100km this year this morning. Nice long loop down to the beach, where I stopped for coffee, and then home with a few deviations to get into three figures.

Twice, I was cycling along main roads when cars (vans actually!) at a T junction looking to join the main road looked at me and just pulled straight out in front of me. Not sure if it's a perception thing, not wanting to get caught behind a bike or just feeling like a cyclist is inferior to them, but it's been happening to me a lot more of late. Kept my head and didn't get involved.

Anyway, 104km with 1,044m climbing at 30.8kph.

Baby number three on the way after Christmas, so my wife suggested I get it all out of my system while I have time!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5811971168

100k. 1100m climbing. Deffo not 30.8kph

Skryne hill over to Donore and coffee at Old bridge. Over the boing and away up to Lobinstown. Back over the river via wiggers and up realtog. Threw in a bit of wandering to clock up more kms and hard slog up Tara from the south.

A very enjoyable day away from work and cares with a few mates.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Impressive speed for a solo!👍

And I know those roads fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

Cycled to Waterford (Dunmore East) from Dublin last Saturday with 3 mates, it was a grand cycle to Gorey. Gorey to Adamstown was torture but got a lease of life and final 40k to Dunmore was enjoyable even in the p**ing rain. Got up the next morning and cycled from Dunmore to Waterford city, then onto the greenway and all the way to Dungarvan, lovely sunny day, would highly recommend. After a bit of food we cycled back to Dunmore, putting the foot on the pedals. 320km over the 2 days, I'm still feeling it today.

I love that loop for a long spin. All around there is beautiful. Great roads for cycling.

Have done that a couple of times, lovely spin. I'd usually go Passage East and take the ferry to keep to quieter roads and avoid Waterford city.

No long ones for me last weekend but the usual lunchtime spins up to Foxes and the Hellfire. They're filming a new Netflix series up at the Hellfire at the moment which is being done up as a haunted house and looking rather different. Still loving the new wheels and surprised how much more fun they're bringing to my cycling, definitely won't leave it so long for an upgrade next time. OT, but wondering how long people normally expect to get out of a set of wheels. Guessing gravel riding takes its toll far more heavily than road riding. Also has me thinking about regular wheel truing and servicing, replacing bearing races and the like. One for another thread I guess.

i had to swerve to avoid a loose peacock yesterday, near oldtown.

• Advertisement

Probably not good that when I read 'loose peacock' and image of a peacock in suspenders came to mind 🙄

Advertisement