Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yes. (I've more than 2 bikes) Touring bike (Genesis Tour de Fer) is a heavy beast but fairly upright, ultegra triple gearing (not really a touring setup), but a good big gear and decent low gear. Hand built wheels, with dynamo, 36 spokes and wide rims and racks front and back. Other bikes are featherweights compared to it.

I could sit on it all day and not go as far, but still feel relatively fresh to go again the next day I'd say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bit of a sweatfest this evening, finished up covered in flies stuck to my sunscreen.

happy with how my fitness is going, two ~60km rides two nights in a row with 600m+ of climbing, both at over 29km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

First bike commute since before Covid yesterday. New office, so back to Deansgrange - Rock Road - Merrion Road from Cornelscourt. Pretty impressed with some of the improvements for cyclists. Didn't go through the park on the way home, and it was grand.

Having said that, Taxi drivers still being taxi drivers with a few too close than necessary passes without full on dick moves. But the amount of cars going through red lights, both in and out was ridiculous. Clear greens for the direction I was going, and 2 or 3 cars still going from other directions. Genuinely saw more light breaking by vehicles than bikes or pedestrians.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just back from a 62km spin @ just under 30km/h with 326m from the hills around Athgoe/Boston. Wow, it was hot but thankfully there was a decent breeze! Still, I was drinking water like a fish. Brought two well chilled bidons of water and two thirds through the spin, I pulled into Celbridge GAA to refill them. Had them empty again by the time I got home.

Near Athgoe, I pulled in for a banana break and spent a short while like a five year old staring at two combines harvesting a field of wheat. Magnificent sight!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5669900892

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's the field at the roundabout on the Athgoe N7 exit.

I've worked on many farms but have never managed to drive a combine! Maybe I should call Joe Duffy and get him to arrange it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I played golf today instead of going for a spin and it was torture. Kept thinking how nice it would be to be on a bike in the breeze than rooting around in long grass looking for balls in sweltering heat.

Monday got up kippure for the first time this year, yesterday got out for an hour up cruagh. Cycling in the heat is still quite novel, 85k and 1500m up across both of those, will look to add to them in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Are you sure that's not a buckle? It was warm yeah, but warm by Irish standards, well within the range of what the tyre should cope with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Up to Lough Bray via Glencree yesterday after work for 40k with 600m of up. Had planned on going via Crone woods but Enniskerry was mobbed so took the first road up. Should have brought togs and a towel, water looked lovely. A lady I got chatting to suggested I should go for a swim in my undies and returned a wry chuckle when I told her why that wasn't an option. Greeted by hordes of flying ants in the featherbeds on the way home, must remember to keep gob shut at all times while descending in future! Getting used to being back on the old Ridley with Campy triple, have the B17 back on her and nicer pedals and actually quite a pleasant bike to ride though very different. May just get me a road bike for the n+1 next time, much as I love my Rose CX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Yeah it was the tyre deforming. But in fairness I've been meaning to replace them next week for about ten weeks. I went to hal frauds and they only two in the whole shop.

I would be interesting to know how much the increased temperature affects the pressure. If the tyres were pumped to the max on a cooler day they could become overinflated climbing on a hot tarry surface. Mine were sticking to the road in spots last weekend.

according to a calculator i found, a tyre pumped to 100psi at 15C will be at 105psi at 30C. i don't know what sort of temps a tyre would reach while in use in those conditions though, but i can't imagine they'd typically be a lot higher. tyres will obviously get a lot of airflow over them, and are probably reasonably good radiators. plus, i suspect there's not much heat generated by deformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

Coming out of Howth on Wednesday night as its getting dark just after Deer Park and felt my back wheel hit something. 30 seconds later and could feel the rims. Had to send the missus home to get the car and come back for me. Been lucky with punctures over the years that the very few ive had have been closeish to home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

An easy 38km to clear the head, a tough week, neighbours 22 year old son buried this morning, tragic circumstances, don't know how they will cope...just terrible all together.

Condolences @secman

Much more comfortable out this evening temp wise. I likely only left a half a trail of sweat on the road compared to other days this week. Drogheda, Donore, Duleek (via Red Mountain, not actually a Mountain but has a bastard of a short climb which I forgot about and wished I just taken station rd.) Julianstown, Drogheda.

Met a fella in a matching Kas jersey to mine coming against me on the road to Julianstown and shared a wave and hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

A very flat 120km around Carlow and Kilkenny on Sunday. It’s been a long week so I avoided any hills. Didn’t see the need for sun cream as it wasn’t that hot. I now have a new quarter inch line of very red sunburn at the top of each arm. At least my cycling tan is Improving.

Haven't posted in a while, but got out for 70km at 6.30am yesterday morning. Not a sinner around. 600m climbing at 31.5kph. My Garmin must have gone a bit mad as it gave me 25.5kph and was saying I was at 1600 feet at home which is at sea level. Might need a reset.

Beat the heat at that time but only took one bottle and I was nearly home before I found a shop that was open so bad planning on my part.

Delayed getting out yesterday morning, didn't leave the house until 11am just in time to catch the sun at its best. Up Ballinascorney, Seefin, back down to Kippure village, Sally gap, and back via Roundwood, Old long hill and Enniskerry. Only 62k with 1.2k of up but felt knackered afterwards. Glad I climbed up to the gap the way I did, had planned on descending that way but remembered seeing the loose chippings last week and decided against. Could be dodgy cornering in spots going down that way unless you held the centre of road which might not be an option with oncoming traffic. Hoping my new wheels arrive today and I can return the old Ridley back to the trainer, not a bad bike but miss my wider softer tyres.

• Advertisement

'only 62k with 1.2k of up' - i'd regard a 1% climb on a ride as the difference between flat and getting hilly. given that's a 2% climb over your cycle, i reckon the use of 'only' is unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Was down in Wexford on Saturday, got in a 75km sweaty cycle around Kilmuckridge, Blackwater, Enniscorthy, Ferns, Ballyedmond area, really undulating course for 584m of climbing, managed 26.7 kph, and really enjoyed it. Absolutely lovely weather.

then did a stretching of the legs 37km at 28.5 kph, with a mere 150m of climbing today. Was much cooler today than it has been for the last couple of weeks.

Drimnagh, Blanchardstown, Clonee, across to Lucan, then home again.

https://strava.app.link/kdnyIvzidib

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Did a loop of Fanad head this morning.

Enjoyable. And eh pretty hilly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭De Bhál

some drag up to the viewing point over Ballymastocker beach, I was up there last week.

I shot down to the lighthouse and back up while I was at it. About 600m of climbing in 40km. Broke no speed records

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

Yeats county for 63km / 885m / 22.5km/h

windy, lumpy and beautiful

After being kept at home by the miserable weather over the last few days, I was determined to get some time on the bike today. Managed to head out this evening which I really needed given the crappy day at work (testing a business critical software tool which the developers obviously didnt bother testing themselves).

The rain had largely died off but the roads were wet and there was a fairly strong westerly breeze. Still it felt nice and fresh. Braking distance was brutal (plus I hate hearing the noise of wet dirty brakes).

Headed out around Slade & Athgoe and managed 65km @28.0 with just over 500m.

I wore one of my Boards jerseys and when I got home it occurred to me that the "four ten" written on it probably will never be on another Boards jersey!

there's a fantastically named road you found yourself on there - turf bog lane.

2 punctures in 40k knocking about Fanad yesterday. Road tyres no match for stones and holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Was heading out for a 20 mins spin, ended up being 50 mins, 22.5km, 26.2 km/ph. So lesson learnt- always bring water with you.

Hadn't been out in 1.5 weeks so wasn't as fluid as normal.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5705013019

Advertisement