Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a louche peacock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

We encountered a bull on the road in our travels yesterday.

Easy going whitehead. Headed off into a gap.

But not the best fella to be meeting out for a wander

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was chatting to a lad from oldtown a couple of months back who nearly hit a red kite while cycling to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

@smacl What wheels did you upgrade to? I'm looking at getting new one's myself. Have the new bike a year and looking for an upgrade from the stock wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Took a few days off the bike while we were down in Barna over the weekend, managed 67km on Monday, with 76km yesterday. Coming off my best ever month on the bike in July, 900km even with nearly a week without cycling, I'm somewhat on track to exceed that total in August. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I went for DT Swiss 1600 ER mainly because I've a slightly unusual skewer type on the bike and was looking at a wheel that could survive a bit of gravel and light off-road and also wider tyres and centre lock discs. The DT Swiss range come is pretty extensive, dependant on your budget and intended price and the 1600 series seem like a good upgrade from stock. That said, other roadies here could probably make better recommendations. Note that you need to buy rotors separately which will also add a bit to the price if your on disc brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭downtheroad

07.35 train from Connolly to Newry this morning. Newry - Spelga Dam - Silent Valley - Greencastle. Then took the Carlingford Lough ferry over to Greenore, before spinning to Dundalk for lunch. Then down the R132 through Drogheda into Balbriggan, Swords and back to Dublin 5.

161km, 1,282m climbed, 2 punctures (1 on way to Connolly) and a very enjoyable day in the saddle.

We were up in silent valley walking a while ago and it's a truly spectacular place to be. A place I've wanted to take the bike for a few years now just time and family haven't permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Steoller

Taking the child home from the minder's yesterday evening. Just turning onto the road home when I hear a "weeweeweeweeweeweeweeBANG" from the back tyre. Thought the child seat had come loose and rubbed the wheel at first, but it was nowhere near it, and the pannier underneath was solid, no movement. No idea the cause, but the tube had a big slit in it when I got it home.

Unfortunately, my spare tube had a bubble in it and swelled up as soon as I inflated, and I was out of spares. Went looking around the shops last night and none to be had. Was obliged to drive to work this morning.

• Advertisement

Scary shít getting a blow out with a child on board I imagine. 25k for me up to Foxes and back via Kilternan. Wet, wet, wet and also very warm so didn't bother sticking the rain jacket on until the descent. Roads felt very greasy so kept it slower than I had been, looks like going back to a scorcher next week.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In prep for the Reservoir Dogs sportive, our club spin headed out for some hill work around Slade hill.

Managed 115km @ 25.8 with 1250m. There was some drizzle but the rain forecasted never came so I was glad I was just in a regular jersey (rain jacket in pocket). It got bright and warm out there.

I had noticed that my Garmin was showing a lower elevation than others despite me having about 100m before we started (some drove to the meeting point). At the end, Garmin was reading 1024m whereas the Strava adjustment bumped it up to 1247m. That's a massive adjustment! Is that normal?

what garmin? i.e. does it have a barometer based altimeter? mine is the cheapo edge 25 which uses GPS only and it usually reads at least 15% below what strava decides for most of my rides, which tend to be lumpy. they're more likely to be in agreement if i do a long steady consistent day's climbing and descending.

you were lucky you weren't out around lunchtime or afterwards.

Its an Edge 520 Plus. I must try and calibrate it tomorrow.

I agree about the rain. Shortly after I got home the heavens opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Tragic 😏. Get on your bike . Ride it for fun . Live for the moment . Ditch the technology . Enjoy the " Dogs "

Drizzly few hours about the place.

Over to Donore then the coast by Baltray and up to Port beach. Back to Drogheda by Togher. Meander to Duleek by few back roads and grind to the end.

100km and 70ish elevation.

Starving.

Post edited by Wildly Boaring on

Getting to be the last of the evening spins I think. Out this evening for about 30km with no real direction in mind and ended up on a loop I haven't done in ages. Drogheda south out the R132 and left before spaghetti junction at Gormanstown, round the back of Mosney and passed the greenhouses on the boreens to Laytown. 2 **** punctures before getting to the foot bridge at Laytown. Second one was fools error. Back to Drogheda via Bettystown and Mornington and along the Boyne.

I recall someone else here mentioned they had trouble with achilles tendons, I've been having problems for the last month or so which I'm due to get looked at this week. Worse when I walk a few km sit down and try to get up again but still problematic on the bike albeit not as bad.

I do enjoy my spins - pretty much every spin is enjoyed and I do find it fun.

I do, however, also like challenging myself. As a former unfit, overweight heavy smoker, I've become quite fit and healthy in recent years and I like to know that I'm constantly improving. I'm proud of myself for what I achieve. Absolutely nothing tragic about that!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My prep for the soortive involves eating my way around west cork..I left the bikes at home and will be packing extra mass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

You don't need to be faster than the bull, you just need someone slower in your group 🙂

Or else listen to Withnail's advice

https://youtu.be/vguKJGfki3M

• Advertisement

112km, which appears to be the longest cycle i've done. 30.5km/h, which i'm happy with; i'd have been happy with anything above 28km/h probably.

now i'm off for a kip because i'm driving to west cork in a few hours.

did the Kildare 200 Audax + another 20km to get myself to/from the route, some of those small back roads really are energy sapping, did one stop around the 130km mark to get more water, close to 9hrs in the saddle, was a good day out,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

42 other people went up burrow road today (on strava anyway), and I was faster than all of them - Don't think I've ever had that distinction before on a 'popular' climb.

Decided a few weeks back that I couldn't be arsed with 3/4 hours on the flat trying to do a 80/90/100+k every week - much rather doing 1.5-2.5 hours of hard climbing instead. Been enjoying that much more as well, and starting to get proper climbing legs and nearing or breaking my own PRs that are 3-4 years old.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5836446733/

Post edited by retalivity on

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Got out for 103km on Friday, wasn't lucky enough to dodge the rain, but it was so warm I never even put on the rain jacket, only regret was not having shoe covers with me.

Drimnagh, churchtown, merrion, eastlink bridge (what a sh1t road), clontarf, malahide, portmarnock, swords, ashbourne, clonee, lucan an home via the Pheonix park(had to ensure I got over the hundred).

My longest cycle, was a bit tedious at times in the weather, but hey, goal set and met.

Bike is filthy and I had nowhere to clean it, I'll get it done tomorrow

https://strava.app.link/9bjq6jQnWib

It's a testament to how sport blind I am that yesterday I thought 'at least the roads driving to cork will be quiet enough on a Sunday evening'

Very much the same, minus the actually managing to being faster than anyone other than myself :) Lots of climbing and regularly beating PRs on all my regular routes over the last few months. Glorious out there today, up Cruagh, on to the Military road and a bit of light off road in the heather, coming back down stocking lane. 28k with 532m of up at ~20k If I'd been a bit less busy in work would have taken the afternoon off and stayed out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Got out after an early finish at work, just 42k at 27 kph, was a beautiful afternoon, if a little warm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Also got out, for the first time in 2 or so weeks and after a week of eating badly and drinking well.

45 km around howth and home. Much slower than normal and an issue with rear derailleur didn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭positron

Beautiful evening for cycling. Drogheda-Navan and back, exploring the Boyne ramparts at the Navan end for the first time - stunning 5k stretch with many weirs and wildlife and general tranquility. Great facility for gravel bikes (not sure if cycling is allowed, I did it anyway). 57k in total, 444 meters climbing. Avg speed is still around 22-23kmph, I don't know how some folks manage 28-30 kmph, fair play to you guys!

Despite being a Tuesday, there was a large group ride going on as well, yellow jersey, probably Navan cycling club.

Post edited by positron on

• Advertisement

Got out last night for 42km and took advantage of a nice easterly wind by taking a hat trick of KOMs.

Might get out another evening next week, but that will probably be it for the evening spins for me this year.

42k with 500 up @ 29kph.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/34401190

Advertisement