Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options
1666768697072»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

Got knocked off the bike last year and the Garmin parted from the mount. The lanyard kept it hanging from the bars. Well worth using one and only takes seconds longer to attach / detach.

My Ravemen light doesn't have an attachment point unfortunately, but I might try and bodge one with an o-ring.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think the Garmin came with a lanyard so good to be reminded to put it on and actually use it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

Last night's cycle, fell of the bike, and got a KOM (not at the same time)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Started to use lanyard on Garmin 840 just last weekend, just as well the line is elastic, otherwise it would be a PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Just back from a Lisbon to Malaga trip. Left Patricks day and back last night. Stopover points were Setubal, Vila nova de Milfontes, Lagos, Olhao, Mogeur, Los Palacios y Villafranca, Medina Sidonia (Los Badajelos), Tarifa, San Pedro de Alcantra and a short spin into Torremolinos last day. Travelled with a 24 litre saddle bag and 7 litre bar bag on a steel framed bike with 28c tyres..Got a box from a local shop and a €20 taxi straight to the airport Wednesday morning. 950km over 9 and a bit days. Included 4 short ferry hops. Lucky with the weather. 14 degrees up to 28 but mostly dry apart from a few light showers one morning.

Spanish drivers and roads are much superior to Portuguese ones. No issues really although this will probably be the last time we cycle the A7 from Estepona to Fuengirola. Fast moving dual carriageway with not much in the way of a hard shoulder although there are various service roads to provide a bit of relief but not terribly pleasant. Only other route if coming from the west towards Malaga is into the hills.

Great value still to be had. Accommodation from 23 to 34 euro per night each. 330ml bottles of Sagres and Super Bock from as little as 1.20 in rural Portugal. Food also very cheap although you would need to like bread. One thing we discovered is by and large the Portuguese like pastries for breakfast while the Spaniards still tend towards the tostada with tomatoes and/or ham..

So a successful trip. We had covered most of the route before except for the bit from Lisbon down to the Algarve. Although by staying in different towns and villages each time you get a slightly different experience.

And a big shout out to Ryanair as usual. You can walk into Malaga airport and it looks like chaos but invariably the Ryanair desks are calm and mostly empty. They have also installed a few self service check in stations there now which are new since our last trip.

And for the first time ever I was charged for the bike on the air coach when I arrived back. €7 although it should have been €5 according to the FAQs. Not by the driver but by someone in a happy to help you Aircoach bib who was taking the money..

• Advertisement

Haven't been able to get out much recently with a kidney infection (which still hasn't gone) and I'm feeling very claustrophobic and frustrated.

The plan last night was to head out with the club this morning as yesterday's spin was cancelled due to Kathleen.

About 12:30 our dog started barking downstairs and then a moment later the alarm went off. Sprinting down the stairs, I managed to twist my ankle. No sign of anything outside thankfully but now I'm lying on the couch with my foot elevated knowing that it will be yet another few days before I'm back on the saddle

Bugger! 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Ventured out today , still a bit of Kathleen about. Tough headwind and squally rain on the way out. Started off with 8 bodies and ended up with 5 sticking it out. Took to the back and by- roads on way out to try and get a bit of shelter. Came back on coastroad to avail of a nice tailwind coming in off the sea. Gorey to Blackwater and back on a scenic twist and turn route.

70kms avg 27.7 kph almost 700m up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

No end to the wind lately, savage headwind for the last hour of my ride down here in Cork. Dry and sunny though, will take what you can get!

142km 1500m 30.4km/h

https://www.strava.com/activities/11126366623/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Grand day for it in Cork, felt like spring finally.

Coming up to a year cycling, wondering what I did with my spare time before I took it up 😅

211km, 2060m, 31.6km/h

https://www.strava.com/activities/11181003540#kudos

• Advertisement

Advertisement