Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

events conspired against me so i didn't get out till after 4, took a spin out to howth. had a chuckle at the two gardai cycling abreast between sutton and howth, one in the cycle lane and one on the footpath. griffith avenue is a mess westbound; the road surface is in **** at the marino end. and the cycle lane was unusable (especially in the dark) with all the branches and brash in it at the moment.

however, i also passed a fire tender attending a car/cyclist collision as i crossed the causeway road on the way back, hope it wasn't serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Quick lunch time spin out on the Clontarf sea front as far as Sutton and back. Nothing to comment on apart from being the only one in shorts and short sleeves. Not quite as warm as I'd hoped, but it was a lovely spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

What a day for a spin. The sort of day if I had the legs for it would cycle from sunrise to sunset.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got out in the afternoon. Shorts finally (though I wear MTB shorts on my commute) so well adjusted to the cold anyway.

Glasnevin, Dundrum, up Slate Cabin Lane, passed the blue light and onto glencullen. Viewing point from there and home via walkinstown. 55km with 600metres of up.

Took the mudguards, but top of cruagh and parts of stocking lane had some water flowing off the hill. Grand except for the massive cut out in my new saddle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Windy one out there today. Managed 100k with 1.3k of climbing taking in Saggart, Eadestown, Dunlavin, Ballymore Eustace, Blessington and home via Ballinascorney. Lots of smaller l-roads for most of it making for a really attractive route albeit on rather dodgy surfaces. Glad I avoided the higher ground as found I was hanging on for dear life at times even in the relative shelter. Glorious day to be on the bike for all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

From Dublin up stocking lane, over the featherbeds and down to curtlestown, cut across the back road to the bottom of the wall and up the other side of the valley from Crone woods, and back over the featherbeds to Dublin. Probably the most climbing i've done since the tail end of last year, and feeling it now. The southerly headwind didnt help either, although the climb up to the top of the featherbeds was pretty busy with cyclists, so got a few tows. The back road (deakins lane?) from the bottom of the wall to crone woods has to be one of the worst roads within an hour of dublin, its like cycling on the moon. The seem to have resurfaced some of it from curtlestown down to the bridge, but the last bit is still woeful.

57k, 940m climbed - https://www.strava.com/activities/6852799206

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Down home in Sligo this weekend, got out for a couple of hours. First spin post covid so I was taking it handy enough. Didn't bother with the HR monitor and barely glanced at the Garmin.

The weather started out quite cool but halfway through the spin the sun was out and the temperature jumped up into the mid teens so I had to take off my bandana and gloves, and the winter jersey had me roasted alive.

The route I did is, imho, one of the nicest cycling routes in the country. I know I'm biased but it's just such a rewarding loop. It's one half of the ”Ox Mountain 4 Passes” sportive route. Not a straight half mile of road and barely an inch of flat, just constant twisting and rolling bohreens with no traffic. Little cottages, lakes, forestry, wild and windswept mountain tops, valleys, sweeping views across Mayo and Sligo, damn near perfection. The only stretch with any traffic was on the N17 outside Tubbercurry for 2km and I could easily have skipped that. There were a few small hills and one absolutely brutal little pig that averages 10% over a kilometer with a few near 20% ramps.

Did just over 60km with 670m elevation at an average of 26kmh.

Lough Talt, Bonniconlon, Attymass, Roosky Hill, Aclare, Tubbercurry, Lough Talt.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6843004576

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The weather started out quite cool but halfway through the spin the sun was out and the temperature jumped up into the mid teens so I had to take off my bandana and gloves, and the winter jersey had me roasted alive.

I went out for 60kms on Friday afternoon in shorts and a short sleeved jersey & summer mits - first time this year and didn't feel cold at all (my shoulders are very prone to the cold).

Went out for a club spin yesterday and I gambled on similar attire but also took a gilet to block the cool morning air until it warmed up properly. The other five I was out with were dressed in winter gear and after an hour out they were all too warm whereas I felt nice and smug. I think this good weather is expected to stay all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Gerry

Been amazing weather and lucky to get out Friday and today. With the southeasterly wind went into the wind, I don't feel the cold so it was full summer gear. Headed towards rathcoffey, then back of Celbridge, ardclough, over by Lyons Estate to Newcastle. Was happy with this route as was getting bit of shelter from the headwind from the high hedges.

Had burnt a few matches but feeling good so hit athgoe over and back, nice descent down to newcastle and then back over to celbridge and through leixlip home to maynooth for ice cream. 40k and 263m

https://strava.app.link/knKQUxOHyob

On paternity leave at the moment so had a free day yesterday with my wife at home with a sleepy newborn. Headed off with her blessing for what was supposed to be a 3.5 hour spin but turned out to be a lot longer.

First 80k were hilly but blissful in lovely dry and nearly warm conditions. It was in a very rural area I was unfamiliar with and unfortunately took a bit of a wrong turn which was compounded by a signpost which someone had turned down the wrong road so ended up 20k off course! Resorted to Google maps to get back on track but sent me up every hilly bohereen in the area and down two roads that were closed fully for works. Spent what felt like forever stopping at random crossroads in the middle of nowhere!

Took a huge detour to get back and eventually did only to face a blocking headwind with 100k on the clock and 30k still to go. Had run out of food as there was no shops in the area and had to get home to collect other kids from creche. Started to feel the dreaded bonk coming on 10k from home but found a petrol station and quickly demolished a bottle of coke, packet of haribo, chocolate slice cake and a mint crisp.

Limped home and fell in the door 5 and a half hours after leaving, with 130k and 1700m climbing on the clock in 27.2kph average. Ironically, as I took it fairly handy prior to getting lost, as soon as the wooziness from the bonk subsided I felt absolutely fine.

Should have put the route on my Garmin as it was new territory for me and should have had more emergency food! Fail to prepare etc.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Went out after work this evening up around Slade hill beside Saggart. Whilst I had worn a light jacket on my way to work, this was left in my backpack on the way home - it was warm enough for short sleeves and shorts. It was absolutely lovely out although a little windy.

On my way towards home via Boston hill, I passed loads if people on bikes. The pleasant weather encouraging people to get out there.

The only real downside to the warmth was the presence of millions of midges.

41km @ 27.1km/h with 429m of up: https://strava.app.link/yZC6Iki9Bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

Commute home from office, headed up embankment out to blessington, back by 3 castles , Manor Kilbride and home. Only lost light when hitting blessington around 7ish, used lights for return leg. 48 km avg 26.8kph 350 ish meters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I had the best day's cycling yesterday on the Kildare 200 since last Summer. It was the perfect day for a long spin, sunny, warm enough to wear a light jacket and 3/4 lengths and just mitts on my hands. I rode out and back to the start so my total distance was 248km.

The route roughly follows the border of Kildare and it starts and finishes in Celbridge. The road surfaces are pretty good with a mix of single track farm roads and busier R roads. Out of Celbridge and across to Taghadoe and Kilcock, then the surprisingly lumpy parts around Newtown. Past the new solar farm on the bog on the way to Johnstown Bridge. The route turns south near Rahan woods and onto busier flat R roads through Carbury, Rathangan and Monastervin. There was a fabulous smell of coconutty gorse in the bogs. Into Athy and its omnipresent traffic jam.

I had a headwind since Rahan so I was happy when the route turned left to Castledermot, by then it was late afternoon and the wind died down as the sun began to set. The route zig-zags back up Kildare with the M9 nearby. After Kilcullen I was rewarded with a glorious sunset and the last of the climbing on familiar roads around Ballymore Eustace. The temperature had dropped but it wasn't unpleasant and my hands were still warm as I descended into Ardclough and the last flat 7KM to the finish. A quick text to the husband and then I had to find some legs to ride the 24km back home.

https://strava.app.link/zJPIV2bAEob

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cracker of a day for it too, today; 35km @ 31.8km/h (though strava knocked that back to 31.5), which is fast for me. though i did get to draft behind a tractor for a kilometre and a half at one point.

Used to be way easier yonks ago to draft behind a tractor, the new ones are way too fast 😕

this guy was holding a nice steady 35km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Over the w/end, on a break from cycling Achill and west Mayo I happened upon these on a beach. The longest is about 1 metre long. Whale? Shark? Undiscovered Levetian?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

22k with 445m climbing of mixed on and off road over lunch taking in Masseys wood and a few gnarly bits of the Hellfire. Christmas gut is clearly still with me as I stalled on one of the steeper off road bits and ended up on the walk of shame. Glorious out there, long may the good weather last.

Funny, my Strava often often records a spin as 0.3 of a kmph slower than my Garmin headset. Rarely any other amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

110km today, 630m gain @ 30.5kph. Was the nicest day of the week with barely any wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Was a cracker of a day for a lunch break spin in the sun. 35k at 38.2avg with 313m elevation.

38.2!

it's usually only 0.1 or 0.2km/h difference for me; rarely as much as 0.3km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Gerry

cracker of a day yesterday. out for a lunch spin with a few from the maynooth cc, we kept a steady pace and it was nice to have very little wind. backroads to summerhill, then on the way back got a puncture near the top of a hill. need to order those new tyres now. 32.8k at 33.8 average, 215m. https://strava.app.link/xbr6m9DaGob

Had no chance to get out all week, and had planned to go out this afternoon, but a combination of insomnia and an early nihht meant i was up at 5am this morn, had brekkie and headed out once the sun came up. Headed out to Laragh from dublin amd back via the military road, first time out there this year and first ton as well. It was a cold in the shade this morn, and frost in a few places past sally gap, and didnt meet many ppl on the way out, but different story coming back. Sun shining, and hundreds out, another glorious day for it.

2 strange things I noticed this morn: a group of people swimming in Lough Bray at 7.30am - is this a thing?

A number of low-flying commercial aircraft over the wicklow mountains, not sure what the landing/departure patterns are for dublin airport this morning, wind was from SE but not really strong. I dont recall seeing much planes that low in the sky up there - like could make out the livery and individual windows.

100k, 1414m up, 22.8kph

https://www.strava.com/activities/6884433410

• Advertisement

turboprops or jets?

This a handy link for checking where an aircraft is coming from etc https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

Fun to check it when there is a race on to see the laps the relay plane does above it.

Jets, I found one of them on flightradar, it was an Aer Lingus flight from Boston, looks like it was at 6000ft when I saw it passing Kippure around 7.45am. I guess the altitude is above sea level, 6000ft is 1800m, and I was at about 500m at kippure gates, so was ~1300m above me to the right?

EDIT: and another I saw on the way back

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/dl154#2b45ae98

Post edited by retalivity on

Didn't someone put a photo up on cycling photos last week and you could clearly see Sally Gap crossroads on a photo taken on his incoming flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A few days late posting but headed down to Laragh on Thursday via Enniskerry, the Old Long Hill and the Lough Dan road. After a very pleasant lunch and chat at Glendalough Green, I cancelled returning by the Wicklow Gap and headed up towards Glenmacnass. About 5min after leaving, I saw what I initially thought was a buzzard but then recognised as a Red Kite. It was incredibly beautiful circling around and my only regret was not having a proper camera with me. After about 10min I dragged myself away but the memory eased the climbs all the way home to the North Side. 98km at 23km/h in perfect first day in shorts weather.

• Advertisement

Is that a permanent route NP? Sounds a lot more attractive than the Orwell 200 audax route last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

50k with 500m today.

But more importantly it was sunny, warm and very little wind.

Shorts and short sleeves.

Just delightful.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Gap of Dunloe, Black Valley and up to Moll's Gap and back through Killarney. Haven't done it for years. I remember marshalling up there as a teenager when the Nissan Classic raced up there in the 80's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Yes it's a permanent route. It can be ridden in either direction around Kildare. https://www.audaxireland.org/audax/permanents/kildare-200-permanent/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Did a hilly 70Km this morning with just short of 1000m of up in great sunshine 😀, Cromwellstown, Saggart, Mt. Seskin and McDonaghs lane.

Forgot to apply sunscreen to my ears...oouccch ..when wearing a cycling cap under the helmet

looks like back to skull caps and thermals by the end of the week..🌨️ 😕

worth mentioning that met eireann are now publishing UV index; though as you mention, i don't think it'll be an issue in a few days.

Yesterday I was overdressed and baked as a result 🥵. Ballycanew to Gorey, Arklow, Woodenbridge. Took left turn at garage and immediate left again, long drag and left again. Eventually headed for Cooolgraeny, Kielernan, out on to main road and back to Gorey, Ballycanew.

70 km 27.5 kph 600 plus meters.

Today

Gorey, Arklow, Woodenbridge , Rathdrum, Deputy's pass and on to The Beehive, back along old N11 to Arklow and Gorey.

88km 30.4 kph, 600 plus meters. Dressed properly today, full summer kit 👌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭JMcL

Long climb back to fitness continues with a 56km loop from Tramore to Portlaw and back wia Carrols Cross and Kill yesterday. 560m climbing at a sedate enough 22.1km/h. Altogether more pleasant experience that the discovery 2 weeks ago that despite having done a couple of relatively flat fasted centuries over the years that no, I cannot do 108km with about 900m lumpy stuff on just 2 espressos (nasty bonk for the last hour and no shops nearby) 😬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭McGrath5

A nice 20K loop around the Bohernabreena reservoir yesterday, what a day for it. Some queue for the car park as I was leaving.

• Advertisement

Got out for my first evening spin of the year last night. It was only an hour and just went to a local hill and did 3 intervals on it but it felt great to get out after work and not to be heading out to the shed to jump on the trainer. The sun was incredible but it was very cold even if I was well wrapped up. Met a guy in full summer kit with no lights coming against me just as it was getting dark.

29k with 607 up @ 25.3 kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

78km today. Was a tough spin out with headwind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭De Bhál

similar spin yesterday and white bags full of rubbish picked from the ditches left for collection on the side of the road. Brilliant work done. Fair play to whoever is at it. That is not easy work.

yeah, passed a few near coolquay and also passed bunches of people pulling litter out of ditches near ratoath also.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I stopped to very carefully pick up 2 bees resting on the road and escort them to the safety of a dandelionbon my first, very short, post covid cycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭saccades

That long drag from Delaney's (wooden bridge garage) is called the New Line

New chain on the bike which made this morning's commute feel a little better despite the damp conditions.

However, the amount of "small" infringements by drivers make it that little bit worse. Pretty much every ASL and bike box that I pull up to has a car where I should go. I was beeped by a van driver as he travelled along a 24/7 bus lane because they incorrectly felt I should not have been there.

Traffic lights are routinely ignored but apparently as someone on a bike, I always break red lights. The four vehicles in the image below (bin lorry + 3 cars) all broke a clear red light (green for me) as they came from the left. The three cars all proceeded to use the 24/7 bus lane.

I was thinking that you never see any enforcement but for once, I saw a speed van along the N4 opposite the Spa Hotel - although because of the volume, traffic on the N4 at the time was moving quite slowly anyhow.

I'm tired of being labelled as a law breaker because I travel on a bike, when I feel like I'm one of the few on the road who is actually obeying the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I've started the long process of trying to get fit enough to climb the Stelvio twice in one day in July. I decided I needed to follow a structured plan so am doing an Etape du Tour one and last night was the first set of hill repeats. Only 3 x 1km long climbs but it brought back so many memories of how much I dislike hill repeats! Very much looking forward to 12 x 1km by the time I reach week 10 of the plan 😐️

what hill have you chosen for that?

• Advertisement

Ah just couldn't think of the name of it at the time, it's funny, wexford is littered with roads called the New Line 😁, it was cursed by many last Sunday

Advertisement