Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Smyl

It's also to alert for slower braking and acceleration. New borns have not the muscle strenght to hold these forces. Example: German autobahn exits are short and require hard braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Whinging from adults about kids not being left into restaurants.

Honestly, do you think kids love going to restaurants, sitting still and eating what they get? And I don't mean the sort of restaurant where you get a free toy with your meal.

Peel here

Peel where? There's nothing to bloody peel!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I saw one last night complaining that when they go to a restaurant with their special needs child and it starting acting up people give them dirty looks as if they are a bad parent.

I'm sorry but people go out to a restaurant to have a nice mean in a nice quiet environment. If you bring a child, special needs or not and it starts acting up, people are not giving you dirty looks for being a "bad" parent they are giving you dirty looks for being an inconsiderate asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My dope of an uncle in his ‘way’ purchased online some electrical gardening equipment from a genuine known DIY retailer... it turns out one of the two items was faulty, no power... he wrote a scorpy email to them and they asked him to return the items to the shop, they’d arrange replacement or refund, he refuses... as is his difficult way he insists that they collect.... they eventually relent and agree... my aunt is hitting the roof as she doesn’t want people calling to the house as not everybody has been vaccinated yet...they both have but their daughter, mid 20’s hasn’t been, she lives there...at least in a big shop there will be perspex and lots of room and ventilation ..

he himself is known as a bit of a yapper and will probably be even if it’s just a sales rep... telling them how long he’s been shopping there, how disappointed he is with them and an in-depth review of him shopping, ordering, discovering the fault etc..whatever faults the product has...as well as offering tea, I can see it.. mad fûcker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"Disabled children should be seen and not heard".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

people are under a lot of stress with everything, I’m sure the people understand and are understanding of why it’s happening but if you are looking forward to a meal, relaxation, peace and nice company and conversation after all that’s gone on but are really victim to the opposite it will be frustrating... more then be pissed off with the child I’m sure just pissed off with their less then great timing...and possibly or maybe with the parent if they were of the view that they could have had a less then fantastic appetite to calm, influence, distract or placate the behaviors...

And so it begins again. Oh God, Johnny Logan hold me now! *sobs in corner*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I'll counter that with "Disabled adults should just suck it up"

I did not say "disabled children should be seen and not heard. I said "If you bring a child, special needs or not", besides how is someone to know if a child is special needs or not.

Adults can also have a disability and be affected by loud noises as well, high piercing screams can cause incredible stress and anxiety but people seem to not think about that. Are they supposed to go around with a placard saying "I have a disability, I can't handle loud noises, it causes distress" so people like you who automatically assume that the person believes disabled children should be seen and not heard when they happen to give someone a dirty look because their kid is screaming their lungs out.

Reality is most people when they go out to restaurant leave the kids at home to get away from screaming and tantrums. No one wants to hear kids screaming when having a meal.

Le sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

TA that I had to get out of my cosy bed this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

There really needs to be more child free restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have to agree . I love kids but if parents cannot control their kids and teach them not to run around and scream in restaurants then I think we need choices of child free restaurants and dining in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I one way I tend to agree but I don't think restaurants in this country can afford to turn away custom, even if they are obnoxious.

It would be great if some parents could actually 'parent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I would pay extra for a meal in a child free restaurant.

TA today is that I'm a **** idiot and left a bowl balancing on top of another bowl to defrost chicken overnight (don't @ me about food safety). The **** thing fell off and broke into smithereens at 3.11am last night. Scared the bejasus out of us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am not sure what type of places you're eating at but I have never been disturbed by kids at another table in a restaurant. You might see it at lunchtime in a pub maybe but for evening meals in a decent restaurant I yet to see misbehaving kids. You do see a lot looking bored or having their head stuck into a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Middle-aged "hun" who lives at the back of me sitting in her garden most evenings during the heatwave drinking wine roaring "Alexa! play Nathan Carter" several times in the evening.

Lad next door who has OCD in relation to his jeep thing. He takes bits of it off and puts them back on every few weeks and spends about two hours blasting it with a power washer afterwards. To me, it looked very clean before he went at it yesterday!

I don't know what it is or why I feel this way but when I'm reading someone's post and they say per se it annoys me and I'll usually end up skipping the rest of the post.

It just happened me there when I started reading a thread I thought might be interesting and the first reply had per se in it. The best was, this one time at Bandcamp when someone was trying to be clever in their post and they were like, I'm not into x per say. That one gave me a chuckle 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Maybe knocked off by a visiting rodent looking for food?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

That never even crossed my mind but there's 2 cats in the house so if they want to have a go at my chicken they're taking a huge risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The cats are the likely culprits and they scarpered because the noise spooked them. Unless they were in a different room with the door closed.

TA I have zero motivation for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,343 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

TA that I have the same person on to me for the umpteen month in a row looking to have a call with me about something that I have told her a million times is not my job and have even given her the name of the person whom it is. I just had to shout at the laptop because I am sick to death of this thick bitch 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Here comes the broken record that is me when it comes to noise pollution.

Unless I have a megaphone and authoritative power there's no way for me to tell this entire housing estate that I suffer from horrible headaches if I hear persistent noise above a certain decibel range and that they need to shut the feck up. It's not specific to any one thing, and I'm not prescribed any medication, but I have been buying so many boxes of Panadol week in-week out just to get myself through the unholy amount of drilling, hammering, reversing trucks, sawing, that I hear from morning to evening, sometimes stretching into night time. It started with the next door neighbour for 5 months, but now he has a new-born, he's been relatively silent for the past few weeks. My conclusion was drawn at the fact he was obviously renovating a room for it.

But now there are other neighbours having work done on something at least three times a week. The worst was last week when three different houses in the same block I live in were all having some sort of renovation, construction etc. done at the exact same time AND I ran out of paracetamol.

I'm at my most uneasy when it's a constant persistent noise that doesn't stop for hours. I should really go to a doctor about this, I think...

My head hurts so much right now that corner of my left eye is aching. If you heard the audio you'd swear I was standing in the middle of a Terex yard.

I associate housing estates as relatively quiet, away from main roads and peaceful. The one I live in has been a wreck full of noise. The quietest it ever was was the first week of lockdown last year, when nobody fúcking moved a muscle. It was the most blissful thing in the world.

Anyway.

TL;DR. Noise is a bastard and I think I have a migraine because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well we eat out mostly at lunch time or early evening 5 pm . I have brought my own grandchild aged 6 who sits quietly and eats her dinner . But unfortunately not every child is thought to behave and I have often seen little kids run around with no one disciplining them . I never blame the child but the poor parenting that is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just back from a weekend away with the missus in one of the three Irish Ulster counties. Hotel was lovely, food and staff especially, but two incidents really TA'd me:

1) I went down to the bar yesterday evening for a couple of pints before I got ready for our reservation in a different establishment. Each time, I presented my card to pay for the pint to whichever staff member was serving me. No hassle at all. Went back to the bedroom to get ready, room phone started ringing. They were alleging that I had left without paying for ONE pint (when I didn't) and after I said I had settled my bill, and could describe both bar staff who served me, five minutes later a porter came up to the room to clarify the situation. Came down to reception on the way to our taxi and the bar manager presented two bar receipts to show I had only paid for one- I whipped out my online banking app which showed my recent transactions and verified that I was right. He was very apologetic thereafter but couldn't help to feel that I was being treated like a criminal. Imagine what it'd be like if I dodged an entire tab.

2) There was a bit of noise disruption along our corridor on the Saturday night, with people flitting between a couple of rooms and the odd "woo" from drunk people. But last night took the biscuit. At about 4AM, there was an awful succession of thudding noises off the wall between ourselves and the next-door room, and a fella was shouting and roaring and seemingly having an argument. Someone, I assume hotel security, paid a visit a few minutes later, and he quietened down, but started going nuts again soon after following another "visitor". Convinced he was off his face on drugs. Struggle enough to sleep in the humid conditions as it is, but shite like that doesn't help.

On the children in restaurants debate, I have been very annoyed by its prevalence lately, but to be fair, anyone I encountered this weekend were very quiet. It does depend on the parents though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭sporina

The Ad on Newstalk for "We can Dublin again".. sounds v insincere to me - her voice annoys me.. what do ye Dubs make of it?

I'm struggling with the new platform when it comes to the sense of community. You are all hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I agree. I described it on another thread as shouting into the void. It's not like having a chat or discussion anymore. And I don't know why, but that's how it feels to me.

I'm sure someone will be along to explain to me how I feel 🙄. Also patronising people, they do my head in.

• Advertisement

People who refer to babies and children as "it".

Advertisement