Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

My TA from Friday is (the short version) that my journey to Dublin by bus was a shambles.

The longer version: I was getting the 'green bus'/Dublin Coach at the first stop into my town. It was 20 minutes late (that happens) and when it arrives, the girl in front of me was talking to the driver for a minute or two before I listened in to hear her complaining about the bus being late (but she was holding it up more). Apparently the original bus had broken down in the previous town, and this was the replacement.

We get to the centre of the town were a good few people were waiting to get on...yet there was no movement. Eventually we were told the our bus (the second bus for some people) had broken down and we had to get out to wait for another replacement in 10 minutes.

After 40 minutes, a Bus Eireann bus comes along so I decided to hop on, buying a new ticket and so losing the €7 from my first ticket. On the Bus Eireann one, they don't do contactless payment so I had to use cash, and the driver didn't appreciate my €50 note, the smallest denomination I had. Afterwards, I realised that he had shortchanged me (only 20c, but it's the principle, since he was insisting on cash).

In the next town, after people had gotten on at each stop, the driver would get on and off the bus, messing with the door. We continued on until he took the slip road at Rathcoole where he parked up, telling us all to get off the bus. (I think the hydraulics on the door were acting up, so it was a health and safety matter.) So we were standing on the side of the road again, waiting for another replacement bus.

That arrived after about 15 minutes, so we proceeded for the rest of the journey uneventfully...until along the quays, at Capel Street, there was a bump, followed by a squeal of brakes and people. Our bus may have hit a pedestrian/cyclist/e-scooterist/animal. It mustn't have been too serious because the driver got out to check, and just hopped back in and continued on. Still, people on the bus and on the footpath looked a bit distressed by whatever happened.

Apart from all that hassle, the other trivial annoying thing was that the seating on all the busses were terrible for somebody my size, especially the Bus Eireann bus.

^^^^ Bus Éireann bus hot?

Don't bother with GoBus.like a microwave oven.

My other TA with Gobus, a LED scroll proclaiming that the Galway Dublin journey is 2.5 hours throughout the journey when in fact is 3 hours and 10 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Huh? Is it an electronic mirror? Sounds like something I could buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The missus insisted we get this mirror that's heated,has Bluetooth,led light around it, alarm and a few other things. Do you know how many times those features get used? Zero

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭micar

So the driver was possibly involved in a collision involving someone and just left......a hit and run......surely he wouldn't have done that.

• Advertisement

That's what I was wondering, but there was a significant thump, and people in the bus and outside on the path reacted. (I was on the other side of the bus). Maybe the bus hit a dog which raced off in shock. I've seen a dog go under a car before, expecting it to be in trouble, but it ran away at speed. As I said, the driver did get out to have a look...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,935 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My membership of my fitness club was up over the weekend. I go online to renew as I’ve a busy week and might not get down there. I always pay at the desk as I usually go there about 3 times a week… I find there is no way to renew online.

You can ‘join’ first time online, you can book classes online, book the 5 a side pitches online, tennis, squash etc. but you can’t renew your membership online….

All our details are in the system, you would just need to login click renew…but you can’t do it online…. Guess I’ll be going there, after all…

• Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The online/social media detectives trying to solve the Nicola Bulley case.

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

Rip.ie …. I was looking up the arrangements for a neighbours funeral…. It just dawned on me, why in death notices does everyone die ‘peacefully’…..on every death notice be it online or in the papers… everyone seems to die peacefully.. not a true reflection of life.

Fred Roche, Nass, Co. Kildare, 7th February, Nass general hospital (Peacefully)

poor Fred was mown down by a 40ft truck taking a shortcut across the Nass dual carriageways… but it would still be classed as ‘peaceful’… 🫣

I suppose it’s a little comforting to family and other loved ones, but weird..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well...

John Doe, Nass, Co. Kildare, 7th February, Nass general hospital (Roaring and screaming)

Just doesn't have the same... closure.

------------

My TA: Salesforce requires authentication to log on now. You click log on, it loads a new page where you've to put the authentication number from an App. There's only 1 box to type and 1 box to click Verify. Does the page load with the cursor in the text box all ready to type? Oh hells no. You gotta click in that mo-fo first. Because FU.

• Advertisement

My trivial annoyance is NOW TV. I was going to leave the offer I was on until I decided to watch the 2004-2009 series of Battlestar Galactica, having missed it the first time around (although I had watched the late 70s version back in the day) and listening to everyone raving about it ever since. Anyway, with 1 episode left in on Series 1, NOW TV pulled it from their schedule. (BOO-urns!!)

Then I decided that I'd definitely get rid of NOW TV. One the last day of my subscription, I realised I still had two episodes of True Detective to watch. Which I did, except with 5 minutes to go on the last episode, it stopped playing with a message appearing: "You will need an Entertainment Membership to watch this". I don't think I missed too much, but still...🙄

I heard that they auto-correct 'Naas' to 'Nass' in those cases to avoid reminding people of accidents like that.

Naaaaaaaaasssss..... 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well in my experience people who'd die in a crash would generally go down as following an accident or unexpectedly. Suicide would often be tragically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Sorry, I laughed too hard at the roaring and screaming.

My TA, no-one who dies is a Bollix. The amount of funerals that I’ve been to that I have no idea who they are describing during the eulogy - he was a great mass goer (yes, at other funerals), family man (he had children) no-one is described as a mean, crusty auld wan who argued with people who parked in front of his house on a public road and didn’t wash very often. It would be harsh, but at least honest.

I had to do a double take at the news earlier..

John Cleese is reviving Fawlty Towers for a new series for the BBC…. It’s been commissioned…

Of all the regular / reoccurring actors and characters the only three still alive are himself, Prunella Scales and Connie Booth. Prunella Scales has been battling Alzheimer’s since 2014 and her short term memory according to her husband is very poor so that counts her out.

this sounds like an absolute disaster in the making. Hope I’m wrong and maybe the BBC have seen a script that encourages them… but i really can’t see, without more of the core original cast, it being anything but a disaster… no Sybil, no Major, no Terry, no Manuel, the deaf old dears Ms Tibbs and her pal…. The dynamics of the cast and characters will be shît.

which is a shame, 12 brilliant episodes that have gone down in comedy greatness. Can’t end well. Sounds like it won’t… sometimes you need to leave the past, right where it is, alone.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Let's hope he has someone good in mind to play Basil and the rest, and that himself and Connie Booth (if she's involved at all - I remember reading they were in very bad terms) play some of the older characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Ignorant people in general

• Registered Users Posts: 40,281 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Connie co-wrote the show with John. I'm sure john will be happy to work with her again. He probably needs the money to pay for another divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Hes apparently appearing with his daughter. Connie is 82 now, Sybil is 90 and suffering from Alzheimers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

TA1 - The daft bint on my recent flight who thought that she could sit wherever she wanted because she 'didn't pay for seats'. Once I hoofed her out of my seat (which also shockingly wasn't paid for), she spent ages walking up and down the aisle of the plane looking for a free seat till the air hostess had to guide her to her assigned seat at the very back of the plane.

Had she never been on a flight before? Could she not read her boarding pass? Did she not understand assigned seating? The mind boggles.

TA2 - the customer yesterday who got an MP AND a local councillor involved in a whinge over his licence. Both were emailing me in a huff complaining about how long it had taken us to issue the licence. Of course customer had omitted to tell the elected members that he had submitted his application 8 months late and that we had issued it as soon as was physically possible. And he's the type who felt it appropriate to call me 'darlin' every 2 sentences when I spoke to him on the phone about it. Ugh. I'm not your darlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Advertisement

The fat fûcking careless oxygen thief in airside retail park.

im shopping in Homestore and More… a woman comes out with multiple large bags filled with large homeware items…

the common sense safe thing is that she walks around her car to the far side and load her shopping.

but nope, decided to take the shortcut between vehicles and in the process, smack the fûck out of our car, between the wheel well and the passenger side mirror. Not a glancing blow, a thud of a smack.

A glance from her to see if the car is occupied and a nervous “ ohhh sorry “ when she sees it is, but no interest to attain if it’s been marked or damaged.

I discover later that it is marked. It’s not rubbing off with a dry cloth to my horror but when warm water and washing up liquid and a little elbow grease are applied it disappears...thankfully…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

So, all that covid drama was for nothing. Business as usual. Putting this under the "trivial" thread as a kind of sick joke.

People who can't see beyond the end of their own nose.

Also, people who judge others while spewing bile out of their own mouths.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Had she never been on a flight before? Could she not read her boarding pass? Did she not understand assigned seating? The mind boggles.

It beggars belief the way some people behave on planes and in airports.

I was in the queue to board a flight from Heathrow to Dublin some years ago and a woman who was booked to fly with a completely different airline thought twas grand to hop on that flight. Sure wasn't it going to Dublin. And she argued with the staff over it 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

I can't stand priests making stuff up about a deceased person. It's actually insulting to anyone who knew them. Maybe get a friend up if family doesn't feel up to standing in front of the congregation.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The **** who vandalised it should be pelted with dogshite. It's saddening to see.

Regarding the Faulty Towers reboot, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it turns out to be a PC wokefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,281 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The word "woke" in any context other than that of waking from sleep will be banned upon pain of death when I stage my benevolent coup. It's beyond lazy.

Today's TA is that the noodles in the ramen I brought home as leftovers from dinner last night drank all the broth and have also gone a bit slim to boot. Made for a very disappointing lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Also, that it's impossible to eat ramen without toddler-worthy levels of spatter.

Advertisement