Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

I’m glad I wasn’t going the only one who hadn’t a rats about the “revenge on potential mail order bride” post.

Gibberish.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

After reading this thread the Vegas drive thru wedding looks like heaven :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Back to the wedding stories - enough oxygen for the class idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Didn't ruin our wedding but certainly put my wife under quite a bit of stress the day of the wedding. So on the recommendation of her sister my wife gets a woman to do hair and makeup for the day. She calls to the house the morning of the wedding. It's a very busy house with 3 bridesmaids as well as sisters in law and nieces all gathering in the house for the morning
    Anyway just as everyone is ready and the photographer arrives the hairdresser calls my wife to one side and says she needs to tell her something. My wife brings her into a room with just the two of them. The hairdresser tells her that she took off her wedding and engagement rings while working and not she can't find them. Basically tells her they were stolen. My wife asks is she sure and they weren't left somewhere and she forgot. No hairdresser insists they were stolen. At this stage the wedding party are calling my wife to get moving because things are running late. My wife apologises profusely and says she will sort it.
    When I see her walk up the aisle I know something is not right,but also know it's not down to nerves about marrying me!! After the sermon and just before we have to sign the papers she manages to whisper to me what happened and what will she do. So in and out between photos and meeting people outside the church our minds are distracted thinking about who could of possibly done this and how will we sort it.
    First proper conversation we could have was in the bridal car on the way to the venue. The driver of the car must of been saying to himself WTF.
    Anyway just before we sit down for the meal,my wife asks her mother for her phone(her mother was minding it in her bag). She looks at it and there is a message from said hairdresser. The hairdresser had left the rings in the ash tray of her car before she came into the house. There was a half hearted apology to my wife in the text message. The relief on my wife's face was unreal. She just said to me thank god now let's go enjoy our day and we will sort it tomorrow.
    We had a great night after that but the following day my wife made a phone call to the hairdresser and let her feelings known. Let's just say that hairdresser didn't get much work around our area again. The worst thing was the hairdresser didn't seem that bothered that she was accusing one of my wife's family of stealing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Not, one I attended.

Heard from a work colleague of one of his mates weddings.

The father of the bride, a fairly wealthy man, had been separated from his wife for some years and gotten divorced.
    He went off a few years later and found himself a young American one who was after a bit of money, they had recently gotten engaged, seemingly all orchestrated by her.

He Brought her along to his daughters wedding day in a fancy place in Mayo.

All was going well during the day, until after the meal and speeches were done, the groom was going around asking where his best man was, similarly the father of the bride was looking for his young wife to be, you see where this is going.

After a bit of searching, they were found in the best man's hotel room, the grrom had a key also, with a friend of the best man and the best man having some fun with her.
    She was supossedly sandwiched between them and going hell for leather.

When all calmed down the father of the bride took the best man and his mate aside and told them, "lads, I cannot thank you both enough, she was about to clean me out and I have been trying to get rid, now I don't ot need an excuse. I hope ye had a good time, she's good with her mouth isn't she?"
    Aparrently he handed them both a few quid if they kept it quiet so as not to embarrass him.

Obviously didn't take long to get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Can we get back to things that really happened please?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pgj2015 wrote: »

The anecdotes and urban myths are tiresome, alright. It's such a great thread but these "stories" bog it down a lot.

The anecdotes and urban myths are tiresome, alright. It's such a great thread but these "stories" bog it down a lot.

she's good with her mouth isn't she?

That was the most unbelievable part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,081 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

My own wedding was in southern Thailand a good few years back, didnt realise that the hotel we booked for the ceremony was muslim owned and alcohol was strictly forbidden until we arrived there less than 48 hours before the event. Eventually came to a compromise that while they couldn't sell alcohol, they would allow use of their fridges and let us self-serve ourselves. Raided every little shop on the island for all the booze we could find to stock up, this place had no cars or motorbikes, so had a thai guy with a rickshaw ferrying crates of singha and chang across the place to the hotel all day.
    Worked out ok in the end, the relaxed nature of having a ceremony and dinner on the beach, with people serving themselves was novel. And while lack of alcohol should not ruin a wedding, the fear I had when I arrived and realised that the 20 paddies who had travelled halfway round the world with us would not be able to get a drink at our wedding was real!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,906 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My auld pair were at a wedding a couple of years ago where no drinks were provided for the guests at all - they had to pay for everything. Usually the guests would be given tea/coffee on arrival and a glass of wine with dinner at the very least, but at this one the arrival tea/coffee was €1.50 per cup, and then everyone had to pay for their own drinks at the dinner - there was a little "menu" card on each table with the drinks and the prices beside it.

The venue was one of these places where you basically hired the venue and then you organised your own catering etc so the bride and groom had clearly made the decision to charge the guests for the drinks, as opposed to the venue doing it. And it wasn't a "token" charge either, it was basically standard bar prices and they were even charging for soft drinks. Mum said it was obvious a lot of people were really shocked and there was a fair about of grumbling about it, some people sarcastically asking if they were going to have to pay for the food too. The majority of the guests fecked off as soon as the first dance was over, and Mum and Dad stayed a bit longer just to be polite and then eventually they left too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

she's good with her mouth isn't she?

That was the most unbelievable part.

Only going on what I wa told by a work colleague.. I don't know how true or not it is.
    I know t sounds made up, so do have of the post s in the thread

Skip past them and stop trying to dictate. You’ve absolutely no idea what’s true and what isn’t from every post in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Toots wrote: »
    My auld pair were at a wedding a couple of years ago where no drinks were provided for the guests at all - they had to pay for everything. .

That is miserable! A couple of my buddies have used those types of venues and it's a case of slabs of beer and cases of wine which are obviously very cheap to provide relatively speaking.

Skip past them and stop trying to dictate. You’ve absolutely no idea what’s true and what isn’t from every post in the thread.

Says the person who is trying to dictate to me to skip past them. :rolleyes:

My auld pair were at a wedding a couple of years ago where no drinks were provided for the guests at all - they had to pay for everything. Usually the guests would be given tea/coffee on arrival and a glass of wine with dinner at the very least, but at this one the arrival tea/coffee was €1.50 per cup, and then everyone had to pay for their own drinks at the dinner - there was a little "menu" card on each table with the drinks and the prices beside it.

The venue was one of these places where you basically hired the venue and then you organised your own catering etc so the bride and groom had clearly made the decision to charge the guests for the drinks, as opposed to the venue doing it. And it wasn't a "token" charge either, it was basically standard bar prices and they were even charging for soft drinks. Mum said it was obvious a lot of people were really shocked and there was a fair about of grumbling about it, some people sarcastically asking if they were going to have to pay for the food too. The majority of the guests fecked off as soon as the first dance was over, and Mum and Dad stayed a bit longer just to be polite and then eventually they left too.

I wouldn't let having to pay 1.50 for a cup of tea and 5 euro for a glass of wine ruin the whole day for me to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,075 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Didn't ruin our wedding but certainly put my wife under quite a bit of stress the day of the wedding. So on the recommendation of her sister my wife gets a woman to do hair and makeup for the day. She calls to the house the morning of the wedding. It's a very busy house with 3 bridesmaids as well as sisters in law and nieces all gathering in the house for the morning
    Anyway just as everyone is ready and the photographer arrives the hairdresser calls my wife to one side and says she needs to tell her something. My wife brings her into a room with just the two of them. The hairdresser tells her that she took off her wedding and engagement rings while working and not she can't find them. Basically tells her they were stolen. My wife asks is she sure and they weren't left somewhere and she forgot. No hairdresser insists they were stolen. At this stage the wedding party are calling my wife to get moving because things are running late. My wife apologises profusely and says she will sort it.
    When I see her walk up the aisle I know something is not right,but also know it's not down to nerves about marrying me!! After the sermon and just before we have to sign the papers she manages to whisper to me what happened and what will she do. So in and out between photos and meeting people outside the church our minds are distracted thinking about who could of possibly done this and how will we sort it.
    First proper conversation we could have was in the bridal car on the way to the venue. The driver of the car must of been saying to himself WTF.
    Anyway just before we sit down for the meal,my wife asks her mother for her phone(her mother was minding it in her bag). She looks at it and there is a message from said hairdresser. The hairdresser had left the rings in the ash tray of her car before she came into the house. There was a half hearted apology to my wife in the text message. The relief on my wife's face was unreal. She just said to me thank god now let's go enjoy our day and we will sort it tomorrow.
    We had a great night after that but the following day my wife made a phone call to the hairdresser and let her feelings known. Let's just say that hairdresser didn't get much work around our area again. The worst thing was the hairdresser didn't seem that bothered that she was accusing one of my wife's family of stealing

I'd have text her back "See you next Tuesday".
    What a vile wagon.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Couples are under enormous financial pressure these days. I wouldn't be criticising a couple who went for the 'economical' approach to their wedding reception. They might have had to make a choice between buy a round for fewer people, or invite all their friends using the method above. And as the presence of guests can make or break the atmosphere at a reception, I'd certainly always stay till the end.

I was best man at a shoestring reception in the 70's, but in those days everyone knew the story. Fairly basic 3 course fare and one round of drinks at the table, and everyone happy to be there, and enjoyed themselves. And of course, lots of toasters behind the top table afterwards :pac::pac::pac:

In the last 15 years I've been at some wedding receptions that look like (and probably cost as much as ) the Oscars. Why???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Couples are under enormous financial pressure these days. I wouldn't be criticising a couple who went for the 'economical' approach to their wedding reception. They might have had to make a choice between buy a round for fewer people, or invite all their friends using the method above. And as the presence of guests can make or break the atmosphere at a reception, I'd certainly always stay till the end.
    I think the issue here is that they provided the drink but charged pub prices. Essentially profiteering off their guests. By all means go as economical as possible but don’t take the p1ss.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think the issue here is that they provided the drink but charged pub prices. Essentially profiteering off their guests. By all means go as economical as possible but don’t take the p1ss.

Ah yeah, well puts a different complexion on it altogether, that IS acting the maggot alright. But, a fiver a glass for wine might represent value, depending on the wine. Better off not providing any drink at all, but of course that will probably look just as bad.
    Tough choices for some couples.

Back on topic, remember being at a wedding where the mother of the groom actually said to us (a small group of his work colleagues) SHE'll never be MY daughter. Cue awkward silence. Some of the bride's family were a bit rough and ready, and his side made no effort to conceal their contempt. It was like two wedding receptions in the same room. Shortly after the bar closed, a fight broke out amid the bride's family, but fortunately the happy couple had departed by then. The contemptuous looks from the far side of the room went to defcon eleven, and then one side of the room emptied , with the mother giving a sort of "humph, well what would you expect " look.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,906 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

BaZmO* wrote: »

This was it exactly - most hotel packages would include tea and coffee on arrival and at least one glass of wine during the dinner. These guys were very clearly trying to cover the cost of the reception by charging the guests for drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was best man at a shoestring reception in the 70's, but in those days everyone knew the story. Fairly basic 3 course fare and one round of drinks at the table, and everyone happy to be there, and enjoyed themselves. And of course, lots of toasters behind the top table afterwards :pac::pac::pac:

In the last 15 years I've been at some wedding receptions that look like (and probably cost as much as ) the Oscars. Why???

Couples who can’t afford it should just have a small family wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Couples who can’t afford it should just have a small family wedding.

Agree. And people see being shaked down for a few quid by a couple a mile away. If I think I am part of the "economic approach", I just decline and say I am busy that weekend.

If people don't see it, they are very naive.

Agree. And people see being shaked down for a few quid by a couple a mile away. If I think I am part of the "economic approach", I just decline and say I am busy that weekend.

If people don't see it, they are very naive.

Well, whatever about naivety, my own approach is to always give the benefit of the doubt. If people dont see it, maybe it isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭KevRossi

A work colleague from a few years ago was raised first in a Magdalene laundry, then in an industrial school. He got married in the late 90's when the stories of those places started to come out. He has no family, never knew any of them. He would have been interviewed a few times in the 90's in papers and on radio as he was very open about the abuse that went on.

At the reception, during his speech, the father of the bride made some crude comments about how it was a cheap wedding because he (the groom) had no family to invite, also made some reference to hoping he's not gay after all the rape allegations that went on there. Priest spent most of his speech saying that many fine boys came out of the system and he hoped that the groom wouldn't let the industrial schools down during his marriage and that the rumours of the laundries and industrial schools were all lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

KevRossi wrote: »
    A work colleague from a few years ago was raised first in a Magdalene laundry, then in an industrial school. He got married in the late 90's when the stories of those places started to come out. He has no family, never knew any of them. He would have been interviewed a few times in the 90's in papers and on radio as he was very open about the abuse that went on.

At the reception, during his speech, the father of the bride made some crude comments about how it was a cheap wedding because he (the groom) had no family to invite, also made some reference to hoping he's not gay after all the rape allegations that went on there. Priest spent most of his speech saying that many fine boys came out of the system and he hoped that the groom wouldn't let the industrial schools down during his marriage and that the rumours of the laundries and industrial schools were all lies.

They sound like the most depressing speeches I've ever heard :(

Poor wedding couple

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'll never understand why they wait until the poor groom is waiting in the church, as least the bride gets a heads up and isn't humiliated like that.

The whole event is a stressful pressure cooker that brings out emotions that have been suppressed. Before a friends wedding the grooms hair was turning white in patches due to stress, at the reception he was checking out other women, they separated soon after, two kids, he moved on to someone else fast.

It's best to find out before than after.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Space-worm.

If you know, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

My wedding was in a place like this (Very common in Colombia) but we just stocked up on drink that we found good deals on and then had a free bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just after reading Toots post and it reminded me of a cousins wedding about 10-12 years back. I wasn't at it but my parents were. Clearly couldn't afford the fairly typical Irish wedding so cut corners rather than having the smaller wedding and being able to afford the basics. Remember my mother saying that when they went in for the dinner there was a toast to the bride and groom and everyone stood up for the toast, except no drinks had been provided. There was no wine served with the meal, and there was no toast drink provided, so most of the guests were toasting with empty wine glasses, unless they had brought a drink from the bar earlier. Then the meal wasn't the typical beef or salmon but a self serve buffet, so it was a scramble to get food, obviously if you ended up at the back of the queue, what you got was pot luck, so some guests got big dinners and others got small ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not a wedding, but a funeral. The deceased was my parent's neighbour, who was predeceasdd by her husband by about 30 years.

The priest gave the eulogy, having known the deceased for decades. It included the line about the couple "Of course, they met in X Psychiatric Hospital". Cue panicked moments among the funeral attendees until people realised that they had both been psychiatric nurses, but she would have had to resign when they married and in later years people wouldn't necessarily have associated her with her work.

Advertisement