Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think we owe the vikings for our wedding and funeral drunken madness, the brits got theirs elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Yes, the night ended around midnight but noone protested and we all had lifts arranged to bring us back to our accommodation.
    Personally anyway, dragging the night out to 4am in a residential bar for me isn't attractive anymore.

I'm with you on this one. I detest the residents bar. I'm more than happy to slip away once the band/dj finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Porklife wrote: »
    The wedding was so boring I almost forgot i was at it.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Kathleen, that story is priceless.
    Obviously very distressing for you and the wedding couple at the time but there's a screenplay somewhere there!

I was going to write a short story about it for the RTE competition but ah I dunno would it be interesting enough.:pac::pac:

I didn't bother with a man for a long time after that. The next man I was with left me with about an hours notice. We were together 10 years. I was crazy about him and my heart was broken. I afterwards found out that he had not paid his share of the rent for ages and he had a place ready to move in to. He had planned to leave for at least 4 months. Another woman moved in about 5 weeks after he left. They are not together any more. He asked me back twice since but I would rather eat my own feet.

I was in one more relationship since and I was, and still am, completely in love with him. I had to finish it though because it couldn't work. I see him every so often and my heart thumps like crazy for about 5 minutes after and I cry for a bit.

Anyways, I am going to go on first dates and meet someone and you will all be jealous about how happy i am. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I was thinking the same thing. Surely the bride would realise her dad isnt beside her. You know who's in a photo.. that's kinda the whole point of capturing the memory!

He was technically in the photos, but at the end of the family lines and clearly off to the side. As I said, she trusted the photographer to do his job and part of his job is to line people up. She had already expressed the importance of the family photos to the photographer.

Honestly, of all the bizarre stories on here, you're gonna dragged this thread off and take the life out of it by questioning something that's easily verifiable due to the actual existence of said photos, by the numerous people on here who have recognised me in real life due to how long I've been on here?

The story is real. Can we please focus on the point of the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I was going to write a short story about it for the RTE competition but ah I dunno would it be interesting enough.:pac::pac:

I didn't bother with a man for a long time after that. The next man I was with left me with about an hours notice. We were together 10 years. I was crazy about him and my heart was broken. I afterwards found out that he had not paid his share of the rent for ages and he had a place ready to move in to. He had planned to leave for at least 4 months. Another woman moved in about 5 weeks after he left. They are not together any more. He asked me back twice since but I would rather eat my own feet.

I was in one more relationship since and I was, and still am, completely in love with him. I had to finish it though because it couldn't work. I see him every so often and my heart thumps like crazy for about 5 minutes after and I cry for a bit.

Anyways, I am going to go on first dates and meet someone and you will all be jealous about how happy i am. :D

You should definitely enter it into the rte competition!

You should also marry the next guy and throw a shambolic wedding we can gatecrash and ruin:p

Write that story

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not nonsense at all. The bride was front and centre of the photos and trusted the photographer. Why would she check to make sure everyone was in the right place? Her father wasn't the only disabled person in her family, with a sibling with CP. She couldn't have possibly been expected to micromanage everyone and still enjoy her day.

I would not write it off as a nonsense story either.
    2o years ago I was at a wedding where the sister of the bride, and a brides maid, insisted on her boyfriend, the then love of her life, being included in the family photo.
    Her mother lined everyone up with said boyfriend who she did not like at the end of the row so if things did not work out he could be later cut out.
    Boyfriend was gone practically before the photos came back from the photographer, and the family photo is to this day framed in the mothers home less said ex-boyfriend.
    I would have come in contact with a few photographers due to work in the past and was told some funny and strange stories when it came to wedding, but enough for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

He was technically in the photos, but at the end of the family lines and clearly off to the side. As I said, she trusted the photographer to do his job and part of his job is to line people up. She had already expressed the importance of the family photos to the photographer.

Honestly, of all the bizarre stories on here, you're gonna dragged this thread off and take the life out of it by questioning something that's easily verifiable due to the actual existence of said photos, by the numerous people on here who have recognised me in real life due to how long I've been on here?

The story is real. Can we please focus on the point of the thread?

I believe the story Ave and didn't mean to question you. I just think it's really sad for the bride and the dad and was thinking aw how did she not notice.

Let's get back on track:)

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would not write it off as a nonsense story either.
    2o years ago I was at a wedding where the sister of the bride, and a brides maid, insisted on her boyfriend, the then love of her life, being included in the family photo.
    Her mother lined everyone up with said boyfriend who she did not like at the end of the row so if things did not work out he could be later cut out.
    Boyfriend was gone practically before the photos came back from the photographer, and the family photo is to this day framed in the mothers home less said ex-boyfriend.
    I would have come in contact with a few photographers due to work in the past and was told some funny and strange stories when it came to wedding, but enough for now.

Keep em coming :)

• Advertisement

I believe the story Ave and didn't mean to question you. I just think it's really sad for the bride and the dad and was thinking aw how did she not notice.

Let's get back on track:)

You’re like the bridzilla of the thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Long speeches at wedding....wtf is that about? No one cares. No one is listening. What are you doing. I was best man once and the speech was 4 sentences long and got a standing ovation.

Was at a good friends wedding few years ago I know both of them anyway he got up to thank his bride etc she'd be cool too so he starts
    Lads 4 or 5 words, eat drink dance enjoy our wedding that's it from us .... that was the speeches done ... fecking great wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Good for you girl!
    Just to add..if you do publish the story, change all names :D

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I actually took photos of how well the food was laid out.

I love when people show me photos of food

said noone ever ;)

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I love when people show me photos of food

said noone ever ;)

This was years before I was on social media so it was for my archives only :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

A good few years ago at a wedding in a castle in West of Ireland my wife and I and every guest staying got the worst food poisoning which started to kick late in the evening of the wedding reception. We were all properly sick and a local doctor was called in the middle of the night who went room to room giving everyone injections to stop the vomiting. The bride and groom were ok and we figured out later they were the only guests who did not have breakfast in the dining room the morning of the wedding. The wedding up until the group vomiting was however really good!

BailMeOut wrote: »
    A good few years ago at a wedding in a castle in West of Ireland my wife and I and every guest staying got the worst food poisoning which started to kick late in the evening of the wedding reception. We were all properly sick and a local doctor was called in the middle of the night who went room to room giving everyone injections to stop the vomiting. The bride and groom were ok and we figured out later they were the only guests who did not have breakfast in the dining room the morning of the wedding. The wedding up until the group vomiting was however really good!

Did you get compo from the hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Did you get compo from the hotel?

No, nor that ever enter our minds. We were just happy to get out of there.

I know but that's pretty dodge. Thru should have at least refunded some of your accommodation costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I worked at a wedding where the chef(s) served cold potatoes on every single dinner.

They were portions of mash that were supposed to be heated up before being plated up but that didn't happen. You'd think something like that would be noticed before a single plate left the kitchen.

• Advertisement

Keep em coming :)

One I was told by a photographer from the west was also in relation to the arrangement of the family photo on the big day.
    The bride was one of a large family of siblings.
    There was a sizeable age gap between the youngest and eldest with the result that up until this wedding there was no family photo that included the whole family due to some having flown the nest and then living abroad, and the bride wanted to rectify this with the family wedding shot.
    Unfortunately the mother had died some time before the wedding, so the bride`s plan was to leave a space where the mother would normally stand, and the photographer would add her to that space using a photo the family had of her later.
    Photographer did as asked and superimposed the mother into the space. He told me that even doing his best, it still looked like a ghost hovering in the background. Client was happy, so I suppose even if somewhat strange, that is all that really mattered.

Could have been worse if it had off struck earlier.
    Projectile vomiting by all the guests really is not the way I imagine a bride in particular wishes to remember her big day.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭chooseusername

At a wedding at a posh country place.
    The main course comes up and it's all plated up,
    not the usual beef or salmon on the plate with rakes of
    spuds and veg and gravy on the side.
    Very fancy "Master chefffy" stuff.
    Table next to us ,all rent-an-aunt and rent-an-uncle having great crack.
    One of the auld lads, looked fairly well fed shall we say,
    stabs his fork into one of the 3 baby potatoes arranged artfully on the plate,
    sticks it whole into his mouth and shouts after the waiter;
    "Bring em on , they're done"

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

I went to a wedding in England many moons ago off a school friend from Ireland who had moved there and met the love of her life. Her mother and father were always very straight laced and thought I was a saint.

We were booked into the hotel where the wedding was taking place which was great. The night before the wedding there was a giant get together in the bar of the hotel and I got together with the best man, we went back to my room with a load of bottles of heineken but had no bottle opener so he opened them somehow with his hands, cut the hands off himself. Blood all over the place. Had a great time but stayed up until 6 the next morning.

Fast forward, next day at the wedding, he's there with plasters on his hands at the altar. Me dying a death in the church. Went back to the hotel and everyone has to walk around to the reception on the outside of the hotel. There's my room with curtains wide open, blood and bottles of heineken everywhere. Nearly died of the embarrassment!! The slagging at the reception was something else. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭KevRossi

A minor issue shall we say; but left a fair bit of friction at the wedding.

Friends wedding. Choice of Beef or fish. Food arrives at the top table, brides side all get served, groom's doesn't. Service moves on to second level tables and so on. Then it happens a couple of minutes later. Turns out the groom, his parents, the best man and groomsman (his brothers), had arranged for themselves to be served steak. All done just the way they wanted with all the trimmings.

During the speeches the brides father made a jokey comment on the steak. Groom's father during his speech when explaining the steaks said very matter of factly; 'We have certain standards on this side of the table'. Understandably annoyed a fair few people that carried on till late in the night.

Bride was close to tears, groom couldn't care less. I wouldn't mind, but her side of the family made quite a few bob in logistics and selling software and IT services over the years in a family business. His were all fairly average earners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

KevRossi wrote: »
    A minor issue shall we say; but left a fair bit of friction at the wedding.

Friends wedding. Choice of Beef or fish. Food arrives at the top table, brides side all get served, groom's doesn't. Service moves on to second level tables and so on. Then it happens a couple of minutes later. Turns out the groom, his parents, the best man and groomsman (his brothers), had arranged for themselves to be served steak. All done just the way they wanted with all the trimmings.

During the speeches the brides father made a jokey comment on the steak. Groom's father during his speech when explaining the steaks said very matter of factly; 'We have certain standards on this side of the table'. Understandably annoyed a fair few people that carried on till late in the night.

Bride was close to tears, groom couldn't care less. I wouldn't mind, but her side of the family made quite a few bob in logistics and selling software and IT services over the years in a family business. His were all fairly average earners.

That must be the most twisted thing I have ever heard a wedding party doing. I can imagine what a pack of asreholes they must be!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

how did the bride not know?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Recliner

A few recent weddings I've been at, the mother of the groom making a speech. Always ends up a total sobfest with the groom and mother crying and hugging each other throughout the speech and everyone else rolling their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭KevRossi

silverharp wrote: »
    how did the bride not know?

I'm pretty sure the groom's parents organised it. He'd be happy out with a McDonalds and in all honesty would eat anything put in front of him. He was also clueless as to the arrangements for the wedding, left it up to his wife to sort it all out, he's no head or patience for that kind of thing, so I don't believe he'd have the wherewithal to arrange steaks all round.

She (the bride) was fairly dumfounded all the same when the food came out. Priest also got steak now that I think about it, he praised it in his short speech.

Decent wedding apart from that, they had a huge amount of people in for the afters and they were all a good crowd. We knew none of the family on either side, so that probably helped too. There was a bunch of work mates and social friends there and we sort of stuck together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Glad to be bailed out! Wha!!

Advertisement