Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

anywho, bride was 2 hours late in freezing February.

I really hate this sh!t. I swore I wouldn’t be late to my own wedding (except maybe 5 mins to allow for people who were running late). We had one of the groomsmen on the phone to us, kept telling us there was no-one there yet and not to come. Ended up being 40 minutes late by the time I arrived, the plank hadn’t realised that everyone was standing out the front having a chat and ready to run inside the moment they saw the cars arriving...

Proposing in public is cringe enough but at someone's wedding.......

It never occurred to me they intended to do it in public - just that the Bridesmaid was around. Makes more sense if that's what he intended.

BUT, did they eventually get around to asking - and is there a future wedding to be ruined is the more pertinent question :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

nibtrix wrote: »
    I really hate this sh!t. I swore I wouldn’t be late to my own wedding (except maybe 5 mins to allow for people who were running late). We had one of the groomsmen on the phone to us, kept telling us there was no-one there yet and not to come. Ended up being 40 minutes late by the time I arrived, the plank hadn’t realised that everyone was standing out the front having a chat and ready to run inside the moment they saw the cars arriving...

I was of the same opinion but the priest reckoned that we would cause carnage if we started the ceremony on time in an Irish wedding :pac: He reckoned 20 mins late as a minimum but obviously not taking the piss. I was actually still outside chatting when Mrs arrived and I had to wave them on to do another loop

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I was of the same opinion but the priest reckoned that we would cause carnage if we started the ceremony on time in an Irish wedding :pac: He reckoned 20 mins late as a minimum but obviously not taking the piss. I was actually still outside chatting when Mrs arrived and I had to wave them on to do another loop

If it's in a remote area, people not familiar with the area with long trips on the morning to get there, a 15 minutes delay is not a bad idea to avoid the bride arriving to a half empty church. There's a time and a place for prompt punctuality but that is not one of them :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

wife was heavily pregnant at the time so no drink for me, hospital bag in car type

anywho, bride was 2 hours late in freezing February. Load of people left, basically said hell to this. We were just about to leave when she came in. shortened ceremony and 1 hour drive to hotel. Thank christ we brought a few bits to nibble on

We, along with a lot of others ate and immediately left. Should've stayed at home

Friend of mine who is a priest has a solution to that.
    When first approached to marry a couple he tells them that they can turn up as late as they like, but come one hour after the mass is due to start he gaurantees that everyone will be out the church door at the very latest. Including him.
    He has been officiating at weddings for over 30 years and none have gone over the hour mark. There have been a few rush jobs alright and photographers with noses out of joint early on, but by now everyone knows where they stand if he is officiating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thankfully with a registry office, there's a very tight time slot so no room for this late nonsense.
    I can't remember who turned up first! Me, probably but I don't recall any anxious wait.

If my wife to be turned up 2 hours late for our wedding, there wouldn't be one unless there was a genuine, unavoidable reason.

charlie14 wrote: »
    When first approached to marry a couple he tells them that they can turn up as late as they like, but come one hour after the mass is due to start he gaurantees that everyone will be out the church door at the very latest. Including him.
    He has been officiating at weddings for over 30 years and none have gone over the hour mark. There have been a few rush jobs alright and photographers with noses out of joint early on, but by now everyone knows where they stand if he is officiating.

I was at a wedding where the bride showed up at half 2 instead of 1pm because the wedding car to take her to the church let her down and did not show up until that time. fair enough you would think - but she only lived 2 miles from the church and her brothers and dad all had cars to take her in, diva didn't want to arrive without her carriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

charlie14 wrote: »

As do I. Assuming you're not too close to the couple. Just skip the church part. Or turn up at the end and sneak in down the back. Religious wedding ceremonies are way too long.

Was at one wedding before (3 hour drive away) that was supposed to start at 1pm. Left the house at 9.30, arrived at 12.30, had a chat went into the church. Bride turned up at 2.15pm and then the mass lasted for 1hr 45 mins. Fcuk that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The Nal wrote: »
    As do I. Assuming you're not too close to the couple. Just skip the church part. Or turn up at the end and sneak in down the back. Religious wedding ceremonies are way too long.

Was at one wedding before (3 hour drive away) that was supposed to start at 1pm. Left the house at 9.30, arrived at 12.30, had a chat went into the church. Bride turned up at 2.15pm and then the mass lasted for 1hr 45 mins. Fcuk that.

Got badly caught out doing that once.
    Bunch of us went for a drink, but had organised someone to text when the bride arrived. The git only sent it when the ceremony was almost over. We got to the church door just as the bride and groom were coming out.

In fairness to us we were the first to congratulate, I wouldn`t say the happy couple. The new bride`s response was more frosty than happy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

wife was heavily pregnant at the time so no drink for me, hospital bag in car type

anywho, bride was 2 hours late in freezing February. Load of people left, basically said hell to this. We were just about to leave when she came in. shortened ceremony and 1 hour drive to hotel. Thank christ we brought a few bits to nibble on

We, along with a lot of others ate and immediately left. Should've stayed at home

If I was a guest, I would be gone before she arrived. That's totally unacceptable, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

If I was a guest, I would be gone before she arrived. That's totally unacceptable, imo.

Her friend was the groom. I wasn't too pleased but what could I do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Neyite wrote: »
    It's incredibly stingy too. Want a fancy party with all your friends to celebrate your engagement? Fcuking well pay for one then and don't freeload on someone else's party that they paid for.

I'd judge a couple hard if they did this - firstly the eejit who thought it was a good idea to propose, and secondly the eejit who went along with it.
    Imagine if the other eejit said no. That would make things a tad awkward. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

For our wedding, we were both warned "be on time. Everybody else has got there on time and doesn't need to sit for 2-3 hours on a wooden seat just so you can be a diva and turn up late" were the very words.
    Wife turned up less than 5 minutes late. Everybody was delighted because they were in the pub even earlier afterwards!

I'll never forget my cousins wedding. In a very rural part of Ireland, people had driven for 3-4 hours to get there. Then the bride turns up well over an hour late, it might have been closer to 2 hrs. People were seriously starting to sweat as to whether she was coming at all, and according to my other cousin, the groom needed to change his shirt on the way to the reception because he was sweating so hard at the top of the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Groomsman at a good friend's wedding a few years ago. Ceremony due to start at 2pm.

1.50 we're all standing outside enjoying the sun when we see the bridesmaid's car coming round the corner a few hundred metres down the road from the Church, and then pull into the hard shoulder. 30 seconds later the bride's car arrives and pulls in behind it.

Phone rings and it's one of the bridesmaids - they were ready so decided they'd get going in case there was any traffic. Had to rush everyone inside, and then run over to the parochial house where the priest was still getting ready!
    The bridal party were getting their photos on getting out of the cars and outside the door as the priest rushed past them to get to the alter first :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

blackwhite wrote: »
    Groomsman at a good friend's wedding a few years ago. Ceremony due to start at 2pm.

1.50 we're all standing outside enjoying the sun when we see the bridesmaid's car coming round the corner a few hundred metres down the road from the Church, and then pull into the hard shoulder. 30 seconds later the bride's car arrives and pulls in behind it.

Phone rings and it's one of the bridesmaids - they were ready so decided they'd get going in case there was any traffic. Had to rush everyone inside, and then run over to the parochial house where the priest was still getting ready!
    The bridal party were getting their photos on getting out of the cars and outside the door as the priest rushed past them to get to the alter first :pac:

Love it! Get in to that church, get the wedding over with and let the drinkin begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭biddy21

Reading and laughing at this thread, and kept thinking I am going to read about my wedding here. We lived in the UK at the time, (over 30 yrs ago!). I had met my future husband over there, but both originally Irish. I found out that I was expecting a surprise!!!!! At that time, It was the done thing to get married straight away.
    In the UK at that time, not sure if its still the same, but people used to have receptions in the parish hall behind the church. But when I said to my mother that that was what we were going to do, she said no way. What would people say having a reception in the hall.
    So we went looking for a cheap hotel.. We found one that was been run a muslim.
    Roll on to the night before the wedding, good few people had come over from Ireland. So we went down to test out the bar in the hotel!
    As you can imagine, a good bit was drank that night and all was fine until at the wedding, the food was ****e and then they ran out of drink. Disaster! Until one of the guests found the entrance to the wine cellar... The owner of the hotel ended up sitting in the middle of the dance floor praying to Mecca..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Loving this thread, I'm flipping-flopping between laughing and cringing.

Not too many stories of my own, most weddings I've attended have been fairly benign affairs even with cultural differences. The three that I can think of are;

Bridesmaids daughter wearing an extremely revealing outfit and weaving between tables all night and when she'd lock eyes with someone, she'd start shouting at them. There was a formal apology the next morning but nothing ruined.

Another with the grooms sisters turning up in dresses that looked like wedding dresses and spending most of the night keeping the bride and groom apart. Some other guests took to playing interference on the sisters to keep tensions to a minimum. God bless those troopers. No apology there, they're both still wagons.

A load of us being invited to the ceremony, big deal, thanks for coming, hand shakes, gifts etc and then turning up to the afters and only some of us are up on the board for the meal. No big deal, the lot of us headed off, ended up unknowingly luring a few other (invited) guests with us for better food down the road and returning for the dancing.

*"eyyy, how's it going, we're going with you, yeah?"

At this stage I'm feeling cheated having never had anything like this happen to me.

No way would I go back to the wedding after not being at the meal, and they took a risk, I would have thought that's when most cards get handed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

For our wedding, we were both warned "be on time..

we lied on invites.
    We said it was on 30mins before it was actually due.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

I’ve taken 100s if yokes in my time but 5 in a drink is not only blatantly obvious due to the size and taste of them but also attempted murder , in fact I’ve never heard of any one take 5 yokes at once

Agreed, I'm not entirely sure E's actually dissolve in the manner as one would expect, even if they did, the taste of 1 pill in your pint, let alone the excess froth from the waste of the pill would rise to the top - then multiple that again.

It would look like a pint from the waste bucket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Bit like the pint you get for the toast.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

blackwhite wrote: »

Better safe than sorry! When my cousin got married there was a massive crash on the motorway on the way to the church and the wedding car got stuck in it. It didn't work out too badly though, because most of the guests were also stuck in it, so it was only the groom and groomsmen and a few guests who were waiting at the church. They ended up going into the pastoral centre with the priest and all just had a cuppa and biscuits while they waited for everyone to make it through the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I was going mention the kangaroo at a Dublin wedding but I actually think it was a birthday party.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Toots wrote: »
    Better safe than sorry! When my cousin got married there was a massive crash on the motorway on the way to the church and the wedding car got stuck in it. It didn't work out too badly though, because most of the guests were also stuck in it, so it was only the groom and groomsmen and a few guests who were waiting at the church. They ended up going into the pastoral centre with the priest and all just had a cuppa and biscuits while they waited for everyone to make it through the traffic.

Should have added - wedding was in a rural village, and they live about 15 min from the Church. There's 5 or 6 different routes of side roads they could have taken if the N-road was blocked.

I think the real reason they left early was that they didn't want to risk opening another bottle of prosecco :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Not sure if there will be enough examples for it's own thread, but I've seen multiple christenings ruined.

At one, the mothers hair caught fire from a candle beside the altar.

At another, the local priest was going on with his usual spiel about hurling rivalries as the kid was held over the thingy of water. He had to speak up to be heard over the kids breathy grunts. The reason for the grunts was apparent when he (the child, not the priest) started leaking liquid brown poo out of his gown and into the water fountain. He was going for about 5 minutes, the smell in the church was unreal.

But the best by far was where the father and godfather were aspiring rappers. They had white suits on and big thick gold chains. They released a load of doves in the church grounds in the childs honour. Afters were in a local hotel and a big fuss was planned with a cake. Just before the cake came out though, they came up with an idea for a track that was so amazing that they had to get back to their home studio "to get it down while it was still hot". They and their "entourage" stormed out together, leaving the mother to take some lonely photos with a 4 foot tower of cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Agreed, I'm not entirely sure E's actually dissolve in the manner as one would expect, even if they did, the taste of 1 pill in your pint, let alone the excess froth from the waste of the pill would rise to the top - then multiple that again.

Exactly, they don’t have the same easy swallow sugar coating that painkillers have either :)

If not dead, you would definitely end up having your own party and have an entire wedding party looking at you as you make love to a pillar

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not sure if there will be enough examples for it's own thread, but I've seen multiple christenings ruined.

At one, the mothers hair caught fire from a candle beside the altar.

At another, the local priest was going on with his usual spiel about hurling rivalries as the kid was held over the thingy of water. He had to speak up to be heard over the kids breathy grunts. The reason for the grunts was apparent when he (the child, not the priest) started leaking liquid brown poo out of his gown and into the water fountain. He was going for about 5 minutes, the smell in the church was unreal.

But the best by far was where the father and godfather were aspiring rappers. They had white suits on and big thick gold chains. They released a load of doves in the church grounds in the childs honour. Afters were in a local hotel and a big fuss was planned with a cake. Just before the cake came out though, they came up with an idea for a track that was so amazing that they had to get back to their home studio "to get it down while it was still hot". They are their "entourage" stormed out together, leaving the mother to take some lonely photos with a 4 foot tower of cake.
    My mates mother has cats and lives opposite the church so tacky doves at christenings usually mean dinner time for the cats

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

This is a great thread.
    I sat down and read it from start to finish last night.
    All stories entertaining in their own way, and none of the usual bickering between posters you seem to get on boards these days, just lighthearted fun all round.
    A perfect antidote for these troubled times!
    I reckon you could publish a book featuring a lot of the stories here!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Groom got hit by a CS gas canister!

Wedding in 2004 in Budapest, city centre registry office type place. Unfortunately the wedding clashed with the Millwall v. Ferencarvos UEFA cup 2nd leg.

While the ceremony was taking place there was a football hooligan riot going on outside between the locals, the Milwall fans and the riot police. We stayed inside until things appeared calm, families went outside first to get the photos taken etc. Groom then got hit in the stomach by a CS gas canister that had ricocheted off an adjacent building, into the courtyard, bounced off the ground and hit him in the stomach.

Those outside were impacted by the gas, while those of us inside were grand, we all had to remain inside until the gas cleared before we could go to the reception. Bizarre day to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 TrampFighter

At my wifes cousins wedding.

noticed about 8.30pm the Reception room looked really empty, the wife then informed me the grooms whole family and most of his friends had left.

their marriage lasted 10 weeks.

the groom arrived home one day and just said i don't love you anymore and left.

Advertisement