Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What are yokes?

Wasps
    Wingers
    Jack and Jills
    Disco biscuits
    Doves
    E
    Pills

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

5 is a lot then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I was talking to a Muslim guy at work and he was telling me in certain parts of the Islamic world it is believed that some women become literally possessed by their wedding day. This is why they have certain social and cultural rituals around the bride's nuptials to prevent the bride from going insane. Certainly makes a lot of sense when you hear about these Bridezilla stories of otherwise normal women who literally become vicious psychopaths as soon as the engagement ring is on their finger.

At some level I have often wondered if some women actually want their wedding day ruined as it feeds their need for drama?

Its probably more reflective of their general attitude to controlling women, rather than being "easy for the bride".

Give me bridezilla, drama, etc any day over an oppressive religion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Its probably more reflective of their general attitude to controlling women, rather than being "easy for the bride".

Sounds suspiciously like the hysteria diagnosis that women used to be accused of here to lock them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

The “elephant dance” or just doing it for show?

Swinging loose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

piplip87 wrote: »
    I kinda ruined a wedding. Not my fault but a friend of mine threw 5 yokes into my drink, I was off my head made a pure show of myself. Needless to say he is not a friend anymore.

I'd forgive him under the strict condition that he never spikes my drink again

agnes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

piplip87 wrote: »
    I kinda ruined a wedding. Not my fault but a friend of mine threw 5 yokes into my drink, I was off my head made a pure show of myself. Needless to say he is not a friend anymore.

I’ve taken 100s if yokes in my time but 5 in a drink is not only blatantly obvious due to the size and taste of them but also attempted murder , in fact I’ve never heard of any one take 5 yokes at once

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I’ve taken 100s if yokes in my time but 5 in a drink is not only blatantly obvious due to the size and taste of them but also attempted murder , in fact I’ve never heard of any one take 5 yokes at once

Double hard bastid Brian Harvey from the popular music group East 17, once boasted of taking 17 ecstasy pellets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

My wife was a bridesmaid at a wedding in London a good few years ago, quite a wealthy young couple, we were all staying in a hotel about 10 minutes from the venue.
    I didn’t really know anyone there so I was getting a taxi by myself from the hotel to the venue on my own. Just before I left, my wife gave me a bag with a few pairs of shoes to bring, comfortable shoes for bride and bridesmaids for later on.
    Get to the venue and I’m just figuring out the layout of things, feck, left the bag of shoes in the taxi. I’m dead.
    Ring the hotel, was a taxi from a very big fleet but they’ll get on to them and see what they can do.
    About 10 minutes later the taxi pulled back in, thanks be to jaysus. Driver said I was very lucky they could track him down.
    No harm done, panic over.
    Just after the ceremonystarted, was sitting behind my wife, she turned around and asked for the bag, yep, no problem, hand it over.
    See her dig down to the bottom of the bag and pull out a small box.

The rings

Oof

She knew straight away something was up

Told her the story afterwards, she said I’d gone white as a sheet at the time. Decided not to tell the couple as we didn’t think they’d be very impressed. I asked why the hell the rings were in the bag in the first place and apparently the bride didn’t trust the groom or groomsman with them, bride and bridesmaid didn’t have pockets. They didn’t tell me because they knew I’d have refused to take them!

• Advertisement

Bogwoppit wrote: »

The rings

Oof

She knew straight away something was up

Told her the story afterwards, she said I’d gone white as a sheet at the time. Decided not to tell the couple as we didn’t think they’d be very impressed. I asked why the hell the rings were in the bag in the first place and apparently the bride didn’t trust the groom or groomsman with them, bride and bridesmaid didn’t have pockets. They didn’t tell me because they knew I’d have refused to take them!

Love this - that's like something that'd happen to me... although possibly without the helpful taxi company :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Double hard bastid Brian Harvey from the popular music group East 17, once boasted of taking 17 ecstasy pellets.

Didn't he also eat 3 baked potatoes and fall out of his car and it rolled over him?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Haven't gone through all replies. The wedding in Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

i had planned to propose to my girlfriend at her best mates wedding. we lived in separate countries so this was a good a chance as any. she was the maid of honour. my mate saw me holding the ring box and asked me how thick i was.

my mate saw me holding the ring box and asked me how thick i was.

I don't get it, why?

Did she have to pass the 'not getting off with the best man test' first?

Did your mate end up proposing to her? (this would then qualify for this thread :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I think most of these internet anecdotes can be consumed with a large sack of salt.

5 yokes in a drink probably equals about a disprin junior.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't get it, why?

Did your mate end up proposing to her? (this would then qualify for this thread :D )

Probably that it would completely take the focus off the wedding they were at, limelight would switch to the newly engaged.

Not 5 at a time , that would be either organ failure or licking the middle
    Of the dance floor for the night

Probably that it would completely take the focus off the wedding they were at, limelight would switch to the newly engaged.

Ah, okay. Good save.

I think most of these internet anecdotes can be consumed with a large sack of salt.

5 yokes in a drink probably equals about a disprin junior.

5 skittles in a glass of Ribena

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Sounds suspiciously like the hysteria diagnosis that women used to be accused of here to lock them away.

And burned in some parts , our most recent witch burning made the newspapers in the USA so not that long ago relatively speaking, Brigid cleary wasn’t it ?

And burned in some parts , our most recent witch burning made the newspapers in the USA so not that long ago relatively speaking, Brigid cleary wasn’t it ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridget_Cleary

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

i had planned to propose to my girlfriend at her best mates wedding. we lived in separate countries so this was a good a chance as any. she was the maid of honour. my mate saw me holding the ring box and asked me how thick i was.
    That is definitely not the done thing tbh.
    I am kinda with your mate, he did you a favour.
    I was at a lovely wedding in South Africa and someone did that at a party for the happy couple the night before the big day....they were not the most popular after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

wife was heavily pregnant at the time so no drink for me, hospital bag in car type

anywho, bride was 2 hours late in freezing February. Load of people left, basically said hell to this. We were just about to leave when she came in. shortened ceremony and 1 hour drive to hotel. Thank christ we brought a few bits to nibble on

We, along with a lot of others ate and immediately left. Should've stayed at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

The post above reminded me of my best friends wedding years ago. We were in the church waiting for kick off. The bride had just arrived but there was some obvious faffing about amongst the groom and groomsmen at the top of the aisle.
    Turns out the best man hadn't shown up. There had been a lock in at the local pub the night before so he was assumed asleep and hungover. My friend asked me if I could do his reading instead. I was wearing high heels and spent the whole ceremony picturing myself falling off the altar or slipping down the aisle.
    The real best man didn't show up till almost dinner time and another friend was all set to stand in his place and do a make shift speech pretending to be him.
    It all worked out in the end but I doubt he's been asked to be a best man again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I don't get it, why?

Proposing in public is cringe enough but at someone's wedding.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

not a ruined story but does involve some heavy stereotipical irish wedding drinking.

Was our own wedding, Brides city so good few travelled from my home city to hers for long weekend of it, Hotel must have been delighted, usaul tourist town hotel that gets those coach loads of Americans on overnights where the feed them and they are up at crack of dawn for Breakfast before hitting the road on the bus

of course huge crew from my side still awake from the wedding night, been shifted from residents bar to reception area still at it to greet the yanks on the way into the restaurant for breakfast, heard later when asked please order up last drinks and move out they tried to order bottles of vodka etc.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Proposing in public is cringe enough but at someone's wedding.......

It's incredibly stingy too. Want a fancy party with all your friends to celebrate your engagement? Fcuking well pay for one then and don't freeload on someone else's party that they paid for.

I'd judge a couple hard if they did this - firstly the eejit who thought it was a good idea to propose, and secondly the eejit who went along with it.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'd say there's a fairly even split between brides going a bit nuts and their families putting pressure on them. I've planned a very small, simple wedding for us. Very few of the usual trimmings. So I thought I could avoid the family dramas. Nope.

Even me postponing last year due to the pandemic and postponing again this year for the same reason is me being a drama queen apparently. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Neyite wrote: »
    I'd say there's a fairly even split between brides going a bit nuts and their families putting pressure on them. I've planned a very small, simple wedding for us. Very few of the usual trimmings. So I thought I could avoid the family dramas. Nope.

Even me postponing last year due to the pandemic and postponing again this year for the same reason is me being a drama queen apparently. :rolleyes:

I think you completely missed my point....

Advertisement