Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross-border review of rail network officially launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭loco_scolo

Well this is my point though, instead of announcing this as some big exciting project that gets lots of attention, positive and negative, the Greens are just doing it in smaller steps. I barely heard a thing about the Foynes line reopening until works were already well underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,102 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The struggles of a fledgling airline nearly 40 years ago is weak weak sauce.

Waterford was vital for them then too and where is that now?

The west can't be taken seriously when it continues to take the Horan approach.

19th century rail alignments which didn't make financial sense even before the invention of the motorcar are not the way forward.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Westernview

I also said that it currently plays a vital role in the economy of the west but of course you ignored that. Having a unprovoked swipe at the airport on an off topic thread is poor form.

I'd like to see Waterford do well but it seems you'd be happy to see knock closed while munster would have Cork Shannon Kerry and Waterford airports. That makes no sense in terms of fair distribution of resources or regional development.

Classifying the rail route as a 19th century alignment is also nonsense. Almost all the rail routes are of that area. You want to close them on the basis of when they were constructed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Consonata

On this basis we likely would never reopen the Navan alignment as a newer "better" one would be obscenely expensive.

The Foynes line is 43km long and is costing 104m to reopen for freight or 2.4m per km. The Athenry-Claremorris section is also earmarked to reopen for freight and is 50km long. This section was used regularly for freight until the mid 1990s and is substantially intact so reopening costs/km should be similar.

The Tuam-Athenry section is extremely straight so journey times would be fast for passenger services. Athenry and Claremorris already have functioning stations, so at a minimum it would require only one station redeveloped at Tuam to bring passenger services through. Ballyglunin, Miltown and Ballindine could be developed later, if not immediately.

Tuam is Galway's largest town. The suggestion that connecting it to the national rail network is a waste of money can't be taken seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Fairly pointless until Athenry to Galway is double track again, which most likely won't be done this side of 2030. A Tuam road bus corridor should be added to bus connects.

Going from a closed line straight to double track makes no sense. Almost all disused lines that will be brought back into use are to be single line. Double tracking will focus on existing open lines. Gradually the newly opened single line tracks can be double tracked in time. The single line will function just fine for freight which is the prime reason for bringing it back.

Why does this keep coming up, again and again and again??...

A frequent commuter service from Tuam to Galway would serve Athenry and Oranmore and would justify larger trains. A Tuam service would enhance the Galway-Athenry section, not compete with it.

Capacity will be doubled when the Oranmore passing loop is built, and could be doubled again by adding carriages.

Double tracking is obviously a no brainer, but until it happens capacity can be quadrupled without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Shame to see this thread cluttered with all this WTC fantasy that's really a minority interest. Any chance it could return there so that this thread could be allowed to witness the relentless progress that the AIRR is delivering.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, I was thinking the same, there is a massive WRC thread over on the C&T forum.

Probably best to keep this thread free for projects under the AIRR that aren't covered by other large threads. Same for Dart+, etc. that also have their own threads.

• Advertisement

Apologies, didn't realise you were in charge of what people could and couldn't post on this thread. We'll ask for your permission in future.

Usually when a lot of comments appear on a topic it means that's what people want to talk about.

I'm not in charge of anything and never claimed to be. Just frustrating when a thread is clogged with off-topic stuff, especially when there is already a dedicated thread in place. I have an interest in the AIRR but I have zero interest in that WRC stuff. And frankly your rude and aggressive posting doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Please note that @cgcsb did not suggest that Athenry to Tuam be double track.

Please note that their post pointed out that it would be better to re-open Athenry to Claremorris after GY-Athenry has been doubled.

That is so massively how of line. Before posting the pictures here I checked back through 5 pages on the Infrastructure forum, looking for a WRC page. There hasn't been a dedicated WRC thread on this forum in years, if ever. I gave up looking after I realized I'd gone back 4 years.

The C&C thread is focused on general operations discussions, not infrastructure. Are you not a MOD? Are you seriously telling us we shouldn't discuss WRC Infrastructure in the Infrastructure forum?

There isn't a tap of other news regarding the AIRR. It hasn't even been signed off by Stormont so it's not even an official document AFAIK.

The scathing ignorant comments others have made here because I posted a few pictures, and you tell me to go somewhere else to have the discussion?

Is there a MOD here? BK's comment is massively out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Outside of Dublin, is there really "relentless progress"?

Maybe there is.

Kent station, Cork: remodelling and extra platforms - has construction started? I think so.

Line from Cork to Midleton: doubling - has construction started?

Eliminate 7x LC in Co. Cork: stalled in ABP

Limerick to LJ: re-doubling - has construction started?

Line to Foynes - actually under construction

New station at Moyross: ??

Oranmore passing loop: design is underway, PP application due any day

Ceannt station, Galway: expansion - construction has started (although given no more stock, and no doubling to Athenry, I wonder what this is for?)

I suppose all of this is much more than what used to happen, so in that context it is huge progress?

Post edited by Geuze on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we leave the WRC for somewhere else.

I will look at deleting inappropriate posts when I get a chance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Mod instructions are not for discussion on thread.

Use Report Post or DM the mod in question. The WRC has been done to death every few years.

It's a bit rich that you'd accuse me of being rude and aggressive when your initial contribution was this sneering comment. The conversation was quite respectful up to that point. I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Kent is well underway.

Little Island is either done or almost done too, to allow it to become a changeover station between Cobh/Midleton lines to allow the through-running to Mallow.

Doubling of Cork-Midleton I have not yet seen. It's possible they're doing something but I have seen nothing.

But are these AIRR? I thought these were Cork Commuter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Cork-Midleton is with ABP so no progress there

A Railway Order application was granted by An Bord Pleanála in November 2023 to construct a proposed second rail track along the 10km railway line between Glounthaune and Midleton. Invitation to tender for construction works will issue in January 2024, with a construction start planned for summer 2024. This will enable twin-tracking to be completed by late 2026.

The Railway Order documentation can be found at gmttrailwayorder.ie

source: https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/about-us/iarnrod-eireann-projects-and-investments/cork-area-commuter-rail/glounthaune-to-midleton-twin-track-project#:~:text=to%20a%20minimum.-,Next%20Steps,start%20planned%20for%20summer%202024.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The €800m funding for NI-related stuff announced today includes €12.5m for hourly Enterprise services.

€12.5m might buy a single short set so I'm guessing that's operational funding and it'll be using 3000/4000s in the interim.

A secondary but facilitating project was brought forward by NTA to create a new footbridge into Little Island directly from the train station. This won't be seen by the AIRR, but will be an important facilitator project for Cork commuter line.

Any updates on integrated fares outside of Dublin? I'm looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Economics101

Surely the changeover station for Cobh-Midleton will be Glounthane (a.k.a Cobh Junction)

Doubling will be Glaunthane-Midleton, it already double into Cork from Glaunthane.

AIRR has nothing to do with any of this: the Cork commuter developments under way pre-date the AIRR, which in any case is largely aspirational, and not much to do with hard policy decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

3000s probably, no 4000s are fitted with CAWS I believe.

That bridge (it may actually be two bridges) has enormous potential. It's much more than a direct link from the train station into Eastgate, badly needed as that is to eliminate the grim walk up the slip road and across the overbridge. It also links the train station (and Eastgate) directly and safely to the greenway between Bury’s bridge and Glounthaune. It's a very significant active travel infill intervention and should benefit a huge number of both commuters and leisure/retail users. From memory it's in the region of 500m span. Can't come soon enough.

No, what you're saying makes plenty of sense and Glounthaune would have been my first thought too, but Glounthaune will not the the changeover station. Little Island is almost complete now for that purpose. What I suspect their thinking is here is that Little Island is going to be by far the busier station overall, especially with the new link to Eastgate and all of the commuters.

Glounthaune by comparison has no plans for lifts etc. It's a nightmare for buggies at the moment and is planned to stay this way for the medium term future.

Agreed AIRR has nothing to do with this at all.

More on this:

Introduction of an hourly-frequency rail service between Belfast and Dublin - €12.5m: 

- Introduction of an hourly-frequency rail service on the Dublin-Belfast line is an agreed priority for both Administrations. An hourly service will double current frequency and significantly enhance sustainable transport connectivity between the two largest cities on the island and be a catalyst for economic and social connections throughout the Dublin Belfast economic corridor region and across the island.

- €12.5m is being allocated from the Shared Island Fund, with match funding from the Department of Transport, to meet the total cost of introducing of an hourly-frequency rail service between Belfast and Dublin over an initial three-year period. 

- The additional resourcing will allow for increased capacity for Iarnród Éireann and Translink NI with their respective fleet networks. The increased service will be introduced progressively with an hourly-frequency service expected to be fully in place by Q1 2025.

- The increased service frequency is aligned with the objective under the revised National Development Plan, with the provision under the PEACEPLUS programme for investment in new sustainable rolling stock on the Dublin-Belfast line, and with recommendations of the draft All-Island Strategic Rail Review.

Source: https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/2c23e-unprecedented-funding-of-over-800m-for-shared-island-investment-priorities-including-a5-road/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sounds to me like its the opex, with the capex covered by the existing plan to buy new rolling stock.

Advertisement