Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

eggy81 wrote: »
    Who pays for the vaccines.

We all do through taxation.

Akabusi wrote: »
    My cousin works in a Sainsbury in the UK which is beside a vaccination centre. On two occasions staff from the vaccination centre have come into Sainsbury and announced over the tannoy that there were spare vaccines. Now they are at a very different phase in there roll out but I'm sure they could easily have found 20 people deserving of them very quickly.

I heard one woman on radio earlier who's mother was in the Beacon receiving cancer treatment when these spare does were dished out.

I heard one woman on radio earlier who's mother was in the Beacon receiving cancer treatment when these spare does were dished out.

Well then it must be completely accurate.

I don't think you can give the vaccine to someone already in the middle of different treatment. Can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

the kelt wrote: »
    Maybe its just me but im not sure how comfortable id be sitting there getting a vaccination as a relatively healthy man whos not at a huge risk from this virus knowing there are people out there who are in dire need of this vaccination and havent been even offered it yet.

Indeed it's why I feel the teachers should shoulder some of the blame, not the entire amount but some.

In the eyes of the wider public they have already been judged as I said the already they took their twitter down if I was them I would also cover up name of staff on the website because it's way to easy right now to see it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I don't think you can give the vaccine to someone already in the middle of different treatment. Can you?

Yes, you absolutely can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Amirani wrote: »
    This seems worse than The Coombe situation to me. While I'm still quite critical of what happened at The Coombe and I think their approach was wrong, it was early in the vaccination programme and processes for dealing with left over doses weren't formalised.

At this stage, everyone giving out vaccines is meant to have standby lists and plans. The Beacon has been designated as a central vaccination centre, so they absolutely should have these. Failure to follow this is completely unacceptable and there should be repercussions. These vaccines weren't the property of The Beacon, they're the property of the State, and the hospital should be financially liable and the CEO's position in question.

Yes, I'd like to see this person removed from their position. People should be held accountable for their actions.

Don't know, but my point is they could have simply checked the wards and found people in need of a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Calhoun wrote: »
    Can be people not be angry at both ? These aren't mutually exclusive incidents where it's one or the other.

People can be angry with what they want , but its the bigger picture that I'm angry about , again not condoinng what happened , but it was 20 doses , I want to know why we are so slow vaccinating 3 million citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The vaccine in question was AZ ,which might not have been suitable for that patient anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

"
    Aoife Stokes, whose mother is in Category 4 of the vaccine priority list and is also a patient at the Beacon Hospital undergoing cancer treatment, said she is "absolutely livid".

Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Claire Byrne, she said it is "absolutely shocking" that given previous similar incidences, people like her mother were not considered for a standby list.

She said they live closer to the Beacon than where the school St Gerard's is in Bray.

"It's just really difficult for people like us to understand", Ms Stokes said.

"I'm sure the Beacon have all the information about who lives close by and who could potentially be called on at short notice to come in for the vaccine, and yet we can't even get an answer from the Beacon or the HSE as to when she or her cohort will be receiving the vaccine".

She said she has contacted her mother's GP about getting a vaccine and was told that it is the responsibility of the hospital where she is being treated to administer a Category 4 vaccine.

Ms Stokes said she then called the Beacon and was told that they are waiting to hear from the HSE about the vaccinations.

"My mother called the HSE again yesterday wondering when would the Beacon be getting that information or what would be happening, and the woman she spoke to in the HSE told her would she consider calling an out-of-hours GP."

Ms Stokes said they live 10 or 15 minutes away from the Beacon Hospital and it is "very difficult to understand" how a hospital looking after patients like her mother does not include them on a standby list when they are in an active category.

She said there is "no way to find out" when her mother is due to receive the vaccine.

Her mother is not looking for any special treatment and does not want to skip the queue, Ms Stokes said, but she "cannot understand" how people like her mother under the care of the Beacon were not seen as more of a priority or put on a standby list.

"She is really, really angry at how difficult it has been to get answers", Ms Stokes said. "And then to see what's going on ... it's very hard."

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0326/1206270-hospital-vaccines/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

thebaz wrote: »
    People can be angry with what they want , but its the bigger picture that I'm angry about , again not condoinng what happened , but it was 20 doses , I want to know why we are so slow vaccinating 3 million citizens.

2 reasons:

1 - the main reason, we don’t have enough supply yet
    2 - CEO of private hospital giving 20 to his kids teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Thing are bad when a SF TD is making sense

"Sinn Féin TD for Wicklow John Brady has called for an investigation into the move, saying that "the incident between two private institutions, 13km apart, smacked of the well-heeled looking after the well-heeled".

He added: "It is beyond shocking for any hospital or any facility to be distributing the vaccine without adhering to the strict guidelines that have been laid down by the HSE.

"Public confidence in the rollout is fast-eroding. If there is a risk of vaccination waste, it is frontline workers and at-risk groups who must be fast-tracked."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

While what happened seems unfair..but in my view is onlyba smoke screen by Reid and nphet....I would be more interested in Reid telling us why there are 300k vaccines not already given out.. donnelly says we have hot 1 million by end of march and there are 700k jabs given.. are there 300k in a freezer and if so why are there still there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

St. Gerard's is 13km away from the Beacon and...they would have to pass six, count them six, other schools, within minutes of the Beacon to get to St. Gerard's. There's an educate together school 3 minutes from the Beacon.
    So the fix was in IMO. Looks like an element of looking after 'our own'.
    In the states when this happened they went to near by offices and other work places.
    This stinks of elitism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭eggy81

We all do through taxation.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm sorry, I'm almost outraged out today. I just can't muster much for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭CarProblem

While I don't agree with it, I think theres a serious portion of outrage that wouldn't be here if they were public school teachers.

The "outrage" I hear people complaining about is that coincidentally it's the school the CEOs children attend. The fact it's public or private is irrelevant (to me anyhow)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

They knew exactly what they were doing and know this will blow over in a few days. is it really that surprising?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

GazzaL wrote: »

Country is full of **** people like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭thomas 123

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Thing are bad when a SF TD is making sense

"Sinn Féin TD for Wicklow John Brady has called for an investigation into the move, saying that "the incident between two private institutions, 13km apart, smacked of the well-heeled looking after the well-heeled".

He added: "It is beyond shocking for any hospital or any facility to be distributing the vaccine without adhering to the strict guidelines that have been laid down by the HSE.

"Public confidence in the rollout is fast-eroding. If there is a risk of vaccination waste, it is frontline workers and at-risk groups who must be fast-tracked."

Don’t mention Sinn Fein they will be slated as moaners and populists for the rest of the thread ultimately ending in “look at x event 40 years ago” and how this is actually all sinn feins fault.

thebaz wrote: »

I could be wrong but it sounds like your condoning it, as it looks like your using the bigger picture to deflect away from genuine corruption and cronyism.

We know rollout is constraint across all european countries and supply is an issue but that's not the topic of this thread.

The part that is related to the rollout though is people still having patience with the whole system if they don't think it's fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

salmocab wrote: »
    If I got a call to say I could get the vaccine today I’d push my mother out of the way to get there.
    This is on whoever decided to give it to them ahead of closer more deserving people.

I would ask them to prioritise my mother...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

CarProblem wrote: »
    The "outrage" I hear people complaining about is that coincidentally it's the school the CEOs children attend. The fact it's public or private is irrelevant (to me anyhow)

I agree most our the outrage is justified but theres definitely an emphasis on it being worse because its a private school

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So how did the CEO have a number for all the teachers or indeed for any teacher in the school ? It needs to be addressed then maybe he is related to a teacher or the principal ? This needs investigating .

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

You're to blame for this scandal if you excused the previous similar scandals. They won't stop happening if they're just accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Michael Cullen is the CEO of the Beacon hospital, I don't see how his position in charge of a hospital is tenable anymore:
    https://www.beaconhospital.ie/about-us/management/

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So how did the CEO have a number for all the teachers or indeed for any teacher in the school ? It needs to be addressed then maybe he is related to a teacher or the principal ? This needs investigating .

If you look at their past pupils page they have avery connected community. The guy stuck in China and cannot leave is one of theirs and I get the impression they flex that social/networking muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I read somewhere this am (can't remember which news site unfortunately) that the CEOs children attend the school in question.

Edited to add -

From the Journal.ie
    "The Irish Daily Mail reports this morning that the Dublin hospital gave “leftover vaccines” to 20 teachers and staff from St Gerard’s Catholic school in Bray.

The Mail reports children of the CEO of the Beacon attend the fee-paying school."

• Advertisement

If there is a proper inquiry I'm sure everyone will get paid, probably mates of those involved, some small wrong-doing will be uncovered but the real problem will be the system. No-one will lose money or face any disciplinary action and sure it was a few years ago so we can't fix the "process".
    Actually I might be wrong about no-one being disciplined, the odd time they'll bother finding a scapegoat, usually someone who was a cog without really know what was happening.

Advertisement