Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Leftover? They couldn't find anyone in need of a vaccine in a hospital. The closest recipients they found was 13 km away. lol. The defence of this latest f**k you to everyone else is hilarious.

12 minutes away. It’s motorway door to door.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

This is very disheartening. 100% on the CEO of beacon. Serious pressure being heaped on board by HSE to oust CEO or let him resign gracefully.

disgracefully you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I know what will happen now.
    There is so much misdirected outrage that they will just throw it in the bin in future, rather than wait for headlines the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

JimmyVik wrote: »
    They probably have had them already. And if they didnt, could you imagine the headlines the next day.

Hospital gave vaccines to 20 employees ahead of Nancy in Greystones? Everyone, get outraged.

Cleaning staff at hospitals (anyone who works in hospitals including builders) are on the priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

ted1 wrote: »

How many schools (public and private) and garda/fire stations are their between Sandyford and Bray?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

20 teachers vaccinated?

Hard to see that being so awful tbh

You need to look at the bigger picture. If everyone started jumping the queue and helping themselves to vaccines it would become a free for all and those who really need it would lose out leaving our reopening picture in a worse place.

Taking liberties here and there adds up to a mammoth problem down the line. It needs to be done right.

I know of an elderly 91 year old who got dressed up after not being out in a year to get her vaccine. She got to her appointment and there was none for her.

She would have been more deserving than the teachers. There are many like her. I despair at people who cannot think outside the box to see the issue here.

Yes it's great 20 more people vaccinated but it sends a poor message.

astrofool wrote: »
    Cleaning staff at hospitals (anyone who works in hospitals including builders) are on the priority list.

Anyone I know who works at a hospital including cleaners and paper pushers has been vaccinated already.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

I know what will happen now.
    There is so much misdirected outrage that they will just throw it in the bin in future, rather than wait for headlines the next day.

It’s almost like they’d avoid these headlines if people acted within protocol and with morals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

CEO should resign
    But he won't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

It’s almost like they’d avoid these headlines if people acted within protocol and with morals

Don’t be silly! We’re the sorry people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭sailing

I am furious about this. We are all in this together my a***. If the board of the Beacon have any ounce of credibility the CEO must be forced to resign or be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Remember folks WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER. Just because the teacher of privately taught children of your betters get the vaccine ahead of 90 something years olds is irrelevant.

Our betters haha... That's some chip.

It's just one ass being an ass to be fair. Unless you feel inferior?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭eggy81

A texter on Newstalk just said she's a transplant patient, 2 minutes from the door of the Beacon. She was due to get her vaccine today and was turned away because they didn't have any to give her.

That’s Ireland

Anyone I know who works at a hospital including cleaners and paper pushers has been vaccinated already.

Yep, I'm just pointing out that there's no need for outrage if people hear of hospital staff being vaccinated, they're on the list for spare doses if there is any.

Teachers at a school 15km away from the hospital are not on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

St Gerard's private Catholic school is not on a motorway. I'm familiar with the Beacon area lots of residential buildings. Garda station close by likewise a fire station. Closer than 12 minutes door to door but then again Garda and Fire service personnel don't move in the circle of the CEO or the people in his peer group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly I aint even gonna be bother being outraged. It was 20 odd leftover doses used rather than being let go to waste. I think this is all just to piss off people and generate outrage while feeding on the drama as alot are still waiting for it but giving it to teachers is at least better than letting them go off, they at pretty high risk right now considering that the schools are aggravating the spread of cases through no fault of their own. It could be a case of nepotism or it easily could of been just a not enough time and just trying to ring whoever could get there the quickest. End of the day its miniscule and inconsequential.

How many schools (public and private) and garda/fire stations are their between Sandyford and Bray?

You think you can pull 20 firemen out of a station, guess what you can’t. They are on duty for emergency

Go garda stations have 20 Gardai on duty? Can they be pulled of service ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

That's not the point the poor auld sould leading the beacon just did his public service, and now because we meer mortals question it they will waste vaccines.:pac::pac:

Let's not complicate things by showing that there were altenerives that could have been done to prevent such outrage.

The public would be more understanding if not for blatant cronyism.

This thread is only short of pitchforks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,283 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You need to look at the bigger picture. If everyone started jumping the queue and helping themselves to vaccines it would become a free for all and those who really need it would lose out leaving our reopening picture in a worse place.

Taking liberties here and there adds up to a mammoth problem down the line. It needs to be done right.

Good post lily, Aodán O Riordán on R1 pulled no punches , the lad involved ‘ should resign’.

Flagrant abuse of position. Now he deserves to be heard but surely
    Should have better judgement it would seem.

Let’s see what the outcome will be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Usually said by someone defending the indefensible.......

This is very disheartening. 100% on the CEO of beacon. Serious pressure being heaped on board by HSE to oust CEO or let him resign gracefully.

Part of me wonders how this got into the public domain, the HSE did have recent beef with the beacon I believe over beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

You think you can pull 20 firemen out of a station, guess what you can’t. They are on duty for emergency

*RING RING*

Beacon: "Hi, Dundrum Garda Station? We have 20 spare vaccines here at the Beacon, have you anyone available there at the moment to run up within the hour to get a jab?
    Dundrum Garda Station: "Let me check....I can send up 5 to you there now"
    Beacon: "Grand job."

Rinse and repeat with Stepaside and anyone else nearby.

St Gerard's private Catholic school is not on a motorway. I'm familiar with the Beacon area lots of residential buildings. Garda station close by likewise a fire station. Closer than 12 minutes door to door but then again Garda and Fire service personnel don't move in the circle of the CEO or the people in his peer group.

It’s 12 minutes

https://imgur.com/gallery/z0M5HcD

I don’t think the beacon have the phone number for the residential buildings. If they did put out a call they may cause a stampede.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

And a drop of lube for yourself no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭carveone

These outrage stories very much suit those in power.

It means fcuk all in the grand scheme of things.

Meanwhile we are systematically destroying our indigenous SME sector, adding tens of billions of euros to our long-term debt and have 25% of the workforce receiving SW payments because we have closed thousands of businesses.

But sure look - there's someone who's skipped the vaccination queue.

Rabble, Rabble, Rabble.

It's a great way of redirecting outrage alright.

Isn't the lifetime really really short once the vial is opened? Perhaps the govt should issue a policy document saying "if you have a few doses left over, it is policy to dump them down the drain".

Sounds awful similar to "we spent months messing about on price and liability, we didn't do a damn thing about scaling up production capacity, we have millions of vaccines sitting idle on shelves because people are worried about it now, but look over there! The UK is ahead of us! Someone stop them!".

Edit: Before someone leaps down my throat, I'm talking about misdirected outrage here, not that the Beacon didn't do something stupid. After all, you should know how many doses you will have left over in advance and dole them out appropriately. But it illustrates an underlying issue, which is that if you've 100 extra unexpected doses in Dublin South, is there a defined process for getting them to appropriate people, bearing in mind that you can't just drive out to their houses without wasting an entire vial worth of doses? And if there's one 90 year old in Kerry, how is that anything to do with anything.

How many schools do you think have all their staff on site after hours? Who would assume that if you needed 20 people quickly, that school staff would be available after hours?

I mean, sure, you need 20 people quickly, there is lots of avenues to explore (which is why they have a priority list), but if I really needed 20 people quickly (like really quickly), there's a supermarket just across the road with lots of public facing staff and customers that would be available within a few minutes.

I would not ring a school up on the off chance that 20 of their staff were still sitting around after the school day was over, that would be stupid of me.

*RING RING*

Beacon: "Hi, Dundrum Garda Station? We have 20 spare vaccines here at the Beacon, have you anyone available there at the moment to run up within the hour to get a jab?
    Dundrum Garda Station: "Let me check....I can send up 5 to you there now"
    Beacon: "Grand job."

Rinse and repeat with Stepaside and anyone else nearby.

Sure then yould have people on the radio and the internet moaning about how the guards got vaccines when Nancy in Greystones didnt get one yet.

How many schools do you think have all their staff on site after hours? Who would assume that if you needed 20 people quickly, that school staff would be available after hours?

I mean, sure, you need 20 people quickly, there is lots of avenues to explore (which is why they have a priority list), but if I really needed 20 people quickly (like really quickly), there's a supermarket just across the road with lots of public facing staff and customers that would be available within a few minutes.

I would not ring a school up on the off chance that 20 of their staff were still sitting around after the school day was over, that would be stupid of me.

I think they have 26 teachers total , depending how many admin staff they have it is interesting they were able to mobilize them so fast.

• Advertisement

What time did they make the call at?

Advertisement