Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

*RING RING*

Beacon: "Hi, Dundrum Garda Station? We have 20 spare vaccines here at the Beacon, have you anyone available there at the moment to run up within the hour to get a jab?
    Dundrum Garda Station: "Let me check....I can send up 5 to you there now"
    Beacon: "Grand job."

Rinse and repeat with Stepaside and anyone else nearby.

The Gardai are not in a position to send 20 gardai up to the beacon within an hour. They can barely send 2 to a 999 response within an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Easiest way to raise the ire of the general irish public is to throw private school and elite into an article.

its a non story and far better than if they were wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Sure then yould have people on the radio and the internet moaning about how the guards got vaccines when Nancy in Greystones didnt get one yet.

Is Nancy in Greystones on the priority list?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Is Nancy in Greystones on the priority list?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Calhoun wrote: »
    I think they have 26 teachers total , depending how many admin staff they have it is interesting they were able to mobilize them so fast.

It's not even like they're one of the bigger schools with lots of staff so would have a high % chance of a lot of them being on site at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Sure then yould have people on the radio and the internet moaning about how the guards got vaccines when Nancy in Greystones didnt get one yet.

Gards would be on the priority list and it's the hospitals job to follow the priority list and work all the way through the list before ringing up the CEO's children's school to see if 20 of them are randomly available to come in for a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

sailing wrote: »
    I am furious about this. We are all in this together my a***. If the board of the Beacon have any ounce of credibility the CEO must be forced to resign or be sacked.

I’m guessing that would depend on if members of the board received their vaccinations or not.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I know what will happen now.
    There is so much misdirected outrage that they will just throw it in the bin in future, rather than wait for headlines the next day.

You do realise this kind of thing happened a while ago? There was outrage then as well. That's 2 reported cases. How many have gone unreported?

After that first publicised incident they made sure there were procedures in place to avoid it happening again. And it did happen again. There were plenty of equally worthy school staff a lot closer to the Beacon that could have been mobilised with a phone call. Just they did not have any of the Beacon's CEO's kids attending and they were public rather than private schools

Can you not see this is something people are entitled to get wound up about?

astrofool wrote: »
    How many schools do you think have all their staff on site after hours?

Sounds like the call went out around 4 just when the teachers would have been finishing up. They were clearly around

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    You do realise this kind of thing happened a while ago? There was outrage then as well. That's 2 reported cases. How many have gone unreported?
    2 months ago

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    Gards would be on the priority list and it's the hospitals job to follow the priority list and work all the way through the list before ringing up the CEO's children's school to see if 20 of them are randomly available to come in for a shot.

Yes, and as they are on the priority list, their jab is scheduled already.
    This were spare vaccines. The decision was made quickly to round up 20 people asap and get them in. They did that successfully. Vaccines were used. And as a bonus thats a heap of kids that have to sit in a room with those teachers, that soon wont have top worry about catching it off the teachers and bringing it home to granny and grandad on any given day. Hospital staff that managed that are heroes.

ted1 wrote: »
    Sounds like the call went out around 4 just when the teachers would have been finishing up. They were clearly around

Totally sensible decision.
    The guy had a contact who could round up 20 adults, who could travel right away. Bonus, they are front line workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Can active Gardai and Fire brigade personnel just drop in for a vaccine considering many have side effects that mean they have to go sick for a few days.

What if by chance all the on duty lads got a bit dizzy. Slim chance but hey I assume there are some rules.

Why not people actually in the hospital on the day would be more my question.

This rant and rave about gardai etc. is probably ill informed nonsense.

After that first publicised incident they made sure there were procedures in place to avoid it happening again. And it did happen again. There were plenty of equally worthy school staff a lot closer to the Beacon that could have been mobilised with a phone call. Just they did not have any of the Beacon's CEO's kids attending and they were public rather than private schools

Theres always outrage. I live in Ireland. Im used to outrage.

Theres always outrage. I live in Ireland. Im used to outrage.

We do love being outrageously outraged.

Sure Leo went to a Private school. Bet he was in on it all along. Haha

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This were spare vaccines. The decision was made quickly to round up 20 people asap and get them in. They did that successfully. Vaccines were used.

Vaccination centres are meant to have standby lists that maintain and they use in these situation, that's part of the stipulation of being a vaccination centre. These rules were introduced after what happened in The Coombe.

You're not allowed to just go round up whoever is handy anymore, regardless of how right or wrong you think that is.

Amirani wrote: »
    Vaccination centres are meant to have standby lists that maintain and they use in these situation, that's part of the stipulation of being a vaccination centre. These rules were introduced after what happened in The Coombe.

You're not allowed to just go round up whoever if handy anymore, regardless of how right or wrong you think that is.

Did they use the list they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I'd say at best a contrarian at worst a troll, doesn't even answer the question just keeps going with the same line through out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

This kind of thing is a criminal offence in many EU states. Lots of them carry prison sentences.

Let them shove their apology, arrest and charge them instead. Will put a stop to this once and for all.

Fining a man walking alone on a beach but letting this stuff go unpunished is peak Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Can active Gardai and Fire brigade personnel just drop in for a vaccine considering many have side effects that mean they have to go sick for a few days.

What if by chance all the on duty lads got a bit dizzy. Slim chance but hey I assume there are some rules.

Why not people actually in the hospital on the day would be more my question.

This rant and rave about gardai etc. is probably ill informed nonsense.

Do you think doctors and nurses get to take a day off after getting the vaccine or something?

They get it AT work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

ted1 wrote: »
    It’s 12 minutes

https://imgur.com/gallery/z0M5HcD

I don’t think the beacon have the phone number for the residential buildings. If they did put out a call they may cause a stampede.

Dundrum Garda station 8 mins away. Failing to see the point you are trying to make.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Did they use the list they have?

Paul Reid and Helen McEntee are both under the impression that they did not.

Teachers should be nowhere near the standby list at the moment unless they are part of cohort 3 or 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Link to that claim? And under what might they be charged apart from the one you just made up in your head?

By the simple fact that school children are being prioritised over over 70s year olds.

My mother is over 70, in a vulnerable category and hasn't been offered an appointment yet.

I imagine if it was a public school, the outrage would be minimal

Indeed the outrage would be less. Can you guess why?
    Rightly or wrongly private schools give children a head start over children with less well off parents. It's a two tier system where by circumstance of birth there children get a better educational opportunity than those less well off.

You can debate the morality of that forever but what you can't debate is the newsworthiness of a situation where kids already in receipt of personally unearned advantage in terms of education are also prioritised in terms of health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

This were spare vaccines. The decision was made quickly to round up 20 people asap and get them in. They did that successfully. Vaccines were used. And as a bonus thats a heap of kids that have to sit in a room with those teachers, that soon wont have top worry about catching it off the teachers and bringing it home to granny and grandad on any given day. Hospital staff that managed that are heroes.

You're getting a bit obvious now, you should dial it down just a tad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Yes.

In her own catchment area surely?

What about Mary in Stepaside and Paul in Goatstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Dundrum Garda station 8 mins away. Failing to see the point you are trying to make.

What group are gardai in?

Amirani wrote: »
    Paul Reid and Helen McEntee are both under the impression that they did not.

Teachers should be nowhere near the standby list at the moment unless they are part of cohort 3 or 4.

I worked in the HSE as a biochemist. We always, always used back up lists for everything. They clearly had one and decided to be corrupt and give it to who they wanted to.

Lundstram wrote: »
    This kind of thing is a criminal offence in many EU states. Lots of them carry prison sentences.

Let them shove their apology, arrest and charge them instead. Will put a stop to this once and for all.

Fining a man walking alone on a beach but letting this stuff go unpunished is peak Ireland.

What kind of thing. Tell us exactly what criminal offence they would have broken in EU states, or you are just talking sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭political analyst

The Beacon said there were "over 200 HSE no-shows" for scheduled appointments due to double-bookings at the Aviva Stadium. But how does that explain the no-shows? Furthermore, I'm sure that there were plenty of emergency workers in the Dublin area that could have been given the doses instead of teachers at a school in Co Wicklow.

Advertisement