Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

It's wrong yes, but it's 20 doses so really doesn't bother me that much in comparison to the jail cell of lockdown we are all currently in.
    We need more vaccine simple as that , aim outrage there !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If there is a proper inquiry I'm sure everyone will get paid, probably mates of those involved, some small wrong-doing will be uncovered but the real problem will be the system. No-one will lose money or face any disciplinary action and sure it was a few years ago so we can't fix the "process".
    Actually I might be wrong about no-one being disciplined, the odd time they'll bother finding a scapegoat, usually someone who was a cog without really know what was happening.

For all we know the CEO might play golf with the principal , we need to know what is going on here and the CEO must be answerable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Maybe its just me. But I couldnt care less who gets spare vaccines, as long as they get them into someone.
    Its speeding up we need, not moaning about who got the spares.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Maybe its just me. But I couldnt care less who gets spare vaccines, as long as they get them into someone.

the focus should be on getting more vaccine and why it's so slow, not 20 doses to people that will get it anyway, and probably should have gotten by now along with all teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

With everything that's gets brushed under the carpet in Ireland this is no surprise and only the tip of the iceberg of that we can be sure. We've seen this since the foundation of the state and it wont change when there are no consequences to peoples actions. I have to go now and prepare for my golf society dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Yet I see on the news this morning about the 98 year old great-great-grandmother still waiting for her Covid vaccine even though the HSE tells us that the over-85s are complete. I'd say that there are many more really vulnerable people (i.e. not private school teachers) who fell through the cracks. The Beacon Hospital chief needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Tell that to the elderly afraid to leave their houses. One example today is of a 98 year old who had been asking/begging to be vaccinated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

People need to cut the claims of "outrage" and just be honest if they are cool with it. It would be a more interesting and honest discussion. It's cronyism regarding vaccines during a pandemic. Bit of a thing IMO.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Tell that to the elderly afraid to leave their houses. One example today is of a 98 year old who had been asking/begging to be vaccinated.

Would you give over.
    Everyone is in the queue and will get it when they get it.
    Moaning about 20 spares being injected into willing participants is not going to help.
    How about moaning about the speed at which the vaccines are going into arms instead. Thats the real issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Remember folks WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER. Just because the teacher of privately taught children of your betters get the vaccine ahead of 90 something years olds is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

This is the type of attitude that ended up with the whistleblowing lastnight on the HSE and dossiers on vulnerable families.

They ends justifying the means mentality from the Irish public and sure it's only a bit of cute hoorism.

When we are happy to allow corruption and cronyism we have no right to complain about our health service because the reason it is so messed up is because we allow and almost encourage shoddy standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

That would be the case for me if we needed everyone vaccinated to open up further.

Im hoping thats not the case and we can open up more once those that need it most are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

astrofool wrote: »
    Michael Cullen is the CEO of the Beacon hospital, I don't see how his position in charge of a hospital is tenable anymore:
    https://www.beaconhospital.ie/about-us/management/

Why not ?
    20 doses left over, that woukd have gone to waste. Would you have seen them go to waste?
    If time is tight of course you are going to call on people who can respond

Calhoun wrote: »
    This is the type of attitude that ended up with the whistleblowing lastnight on the HSE and dossiers on vulnerable families.

They ends justifying the means mentality from the Irish public and sure it's only a bit of cute hoorism.

When we are happy to allow corruption and cronyism we have no right to complain about our health service because the reason it is so messed up is because we allow and almost encourage shoddy standards.

Why dont you go and organize the vaccines so.
    Maybe the people doing that at the moment need a break from it.

Im sure what happened was a management decision.
    Hey we have 20 vaccines to use up quick.
    Hey Johnny, Do you know where we can get 20 people who will be in pronto, and have the necessary signatures on the documents done on the way, so we dont waste this. Hurry up. And dont get relatives of any staff. Remember the last time we did that.
    Let me make a few calls. Ok, Got 20. They are on their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The old boys/old girls network as per usual.

This is very disheartening. 100% on the CEO of beacon. Serious pressure being heaped on board by HSE to oust CEO or let him resign gracefully.

Amirani wrote: »
    Yes, you absolutely can.

You sure? You can't start a different treatment while someone is in hospital being treated for a completely unrelated illness to my knowledge. As in, in the hospital with drips in. I don't mean she needs to be cured of cancer before getting the vaccine.

quote="[Deleted User];116698600"]Don't know, but my point is they could have simply checked the wards and found people in need of a vaccine.[/quote]

I'm not a doctor so I'm open to being educated on the subject but my limited (as a patient) knowledge is that Ill people undergoing active hospital treatment are not given completely unrelated injections such as a vaccine.

Otherwise inpatients would be included in the higher priority categories and it would be standard practice.

Again, if I'm wrong on that then bash away as it would be a great way of getting it done fast.

ted1 wrote: »
    Why not ?
    20 doses left over, that woukd have gone to waste. Would you have seen them go to waste?

That comment will be twisted soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭facehugger99

These outrage stories very much suit those in power.

It means fcuk all in the grand scheme of things.

Meanwhile we are systematically destroying our indigenous SME sector, adding tens of billions of euros to our long-term debt and have 25% of the workforce receiving SW payments because we have closed thousands of businesses.

But sure look - there's someone who's skipped the vaccination queue.

Rabble, Rabble, Rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Not sure why you feel you have to straw man for a bunch of Irelands elite but I'm no debating this with you .

• Advertisement

You sure? You can't start a different treatment while someone is in hospital being treated for a completely unrelated illness to my knowledge. As in, in the hospital with drips in. I don't mean she needs to be cured of cancer before getting the vaccine.

quote="[Deleted User];116698600"]Don't know, but my point is they could have simply checked the wards and found people in need of a vaccine.

We vaccinate all in-patients over the age of 70 at the moment with covid vaccine (if vaccine is available). Roll out has been slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Why not ?

Leftover? They couldn't find anyone in need of a vaccine in a hospital. The closest recipients they found was 13 km away. lol. The defence of this latest f**k you to everyone else is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I think I am more shocked at people justifying it than at a CEO of a private hospital vaccinating his pals . I mean we always knew about cronyism in the country but its shocking me more that people accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Why not ?

It doesn't seem that in this case the priority order for vaccinations were followed and there was numerous people available ahead of the teachers who weren't contacted including many eligible people already in the hospital itself.

It's also doubtful that the teachers would have been at the school at the time they were contacted unless they knew something was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Would you give over.
    Everyone is in the queue and will get it when they get it.
    Moaning about 20 spares being injected into willing participants is not going to help.
    How about moaning about the speed at which the vaccines are going into arms instead. Thats the real issue.

Nah I won’t - this factories are dying to sell us the stuff as soon as they fa make it.

People like that lady are literally dying if they get Covid. Risk groups are priorities for a reason just because you are selfish does not mean I should “give over”

We can moan about more than one thing at a time , reality is the factories are producing and selling all they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Im sure what happened was a management decision.
    Hey we have 20 vaccines to use up quick.
    Hey Johnny, Do you know where we can get 20 people who will be in pronto, and have the necessary signatures on the documents done on the way, so we dont waste this. Hurry up.
    Let me make a few calls. Ok, Got 20. They are on their way.

Why didnt they just ask the cleaning staff, if we're going by people who could be there pronto?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

A texter on Newstalk just said she's a transplant patient, 2 minutes from the door of the Beacon. She was due to get her vaccine today and was turned away because they didn't have any to give her.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Leftover? They couldn't find anyone in need of a vaccine in a hospital. The closest recipients they found was 13 km away. lol. The defence of this latest f**k you to everyone else is hilarious.

One of the issues in the Coombe was that the patients on site (pregnant women) were unable to get a COVID vaccine, limiting who was eligible (in addition no priority list was available, but the Master was still wrong to include his own family), no such limitation would exist at the Beacon.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Why didnt they just ask the cleaning staff, if we're going by people who could be there pronto?

They probably have had them already. And if they didnt, could you imagine the headlines the next day.

Hospital gave vaccines to 20 employees ahead of Nancy in Greystones? Everyone, get outraged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    "

She said they live closer to the Beacon than where the school St Gerard's is in Bray.

Ms Stokes said they live 10 or 15 minutes away from the Beacon Hospital

Google maps has it as a 12 minute drive from the school to the beacon

I’d hazard a guess and say that 10-15 is closer to 25.

The logistics of making one phone call to use up all 20 doses is a lot easier than making 20+ phone calls to bring cancer patients in.

Advertisement