Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

Penfailed wrote: »
    No we don't.

July is still in summer last I checked ......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The restrictions last year ended mid to late May last year when the Gardai stopped enforcing travel restrictions and everything bar pubs was open with some limits.

You'd better tell that to all the people in this thread that think we've been locked down for thirteen months.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Been a long 13 months

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You'd better tell that to all the people in this thread that think we've been locked down for thirteen months.

You know exactly the period I was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Not a clue. It'll not be soon enough, that's for sure. We should be allowed to travel anywhere in the country NOW. I'm ambivalent about foreign travel. I love touring this place in our campervan. Indoor dining? I'm hoping it'll commence before the end of June. Who knows...

I’ll agree with you here

If they open up Ireland I’ll load up the boat and shut up

For a while at least

• Advertisement

Not one bit surprised about these latest utterances. Depressing to say the least and not at all coincidental with the return of Saint Tony.
    Where is the personal responsibility and sense of balance here? Nowhere to be found between NPHET and the Govt. The only thing about the Govt is who is the alternative? The loony left are not what I’d want that’s for sure, an even bigger bunch of clowns.
    It’s like never driving again in case you crash. Absolutely ridiculous.
    What’s the point of a staycation with no indoor dining or pubs? They’ll have a job keeping the vaccinated in the country with a vaccine passport coming down the line too.
    Just wait it out lads, once we get jabbed onto the first Ryanair going, it’ll be the only way to have a “meaningful summer”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's Holohan though. I'm certainly not surprised by his utterances.

The utter contempt for liberty and the pursuit of happiness as trivial irrelivencies is sickening. The dismissive attitude to the things which give people's lives meaning and quality. Disruption to our way of life is not something to be shrugged off as inconsequential. How f*cking dare they. Every moment restrictions are continued "just in case" is an unacceptable violation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd be surprised if we have outdoor dining before the June bank holiday. I'm expecting the earliest that will be is the weekend after that. Same with inter county travel, and indoor probably be July before they have to put vaccine passports in place for the EU.

They'll be aware that if they reopen inter county travel earlier, loads will just go to NI.

All I reckon we've got in May is hairdressers and non essential retail. Cinemas, outdoor hospitality and maybe even gyms will all be June at this stage I'd say.

The utter contempt for liberty and the pursuit of happiness as trivial irrelivencies is sickening. The dismissive attitude to the things which give people's lives meaning and quality. Disruption to our way of life is not something to be shrugged off as inconsequential. How f*cking dare they. Every moment restrictions are continued "just in case" is an unacceptable violation.

This.. Exactly this.

What's worse is how easily some people are willing to accept this curtailing of what were and should be fundamental freedoms and rights.

Restrictions should be the very minimum needed to address a clearly defined and measured risk, justified appropriately, and last ONLY as long as absolutely necessary.

Instead we have allowed a situation where the most restrictive measures have become the default and the restoration of our rights is what has to be justified.

It's both shocking how easily led and compliant the general public have become, and how easily our "leaders" have slipped into the role of enforcers.

The restrictions last year ended mid to late May last year when the Gardai stopped enforcing travel restrictions and everything bar pubs was open with some limits.

No travel restrictions, no masks either - and yet the numbers still fell to single digits.

It's a seasonal virus. Over 99% aren't at significant risk anyway. Enough is more than enough at this stage.

Lots of stuff didn't reopen until June 28th last season. That was the date for cinemas, hairdressers etc. There was feck all in May last year reopened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if we have outdoor dining before the June bank holiday. I'm expecting the earliest that will be is the weekend after that. Same with inter county travel, and indoor probably be July before they have to put vaccine passports in place for the EU.

They'll be aware that if they reopen inter county travel earlier, loads will just go to NI.

All I reckon we've got in May is hairdressers and non essential retail. Cinemas, outdoor hospitality and maybe even gyms will all be June at this stage I'd say.

The truth is plenty will be going to NI anyway, soon as UK open up travel from May 17th plenty will head up, even having to do tests etc.

Corholio wrote: »
    The truth is plenty will be going to NI anyway, soon as UK open up travel from May 17th plenty will head up, even having to do tests etc.

It'll be impossible to stop people living in border counties but I'd say there'll be a good few checkpoints on the rest of us when inter county travel is still banned.

It'll be impossible to stop people living in border counties but I'd say there'll be a good few checkpoints on the rest of us when inter county travel is still banned.

McEntee came out during the week and said that they won't be trying to stop people in border counties alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Possibly yes but they can't have checkpoints everywhere from May until July, or whenever this lot decide it's ok to travel. People will still travel up via public transport and indeed just regular transport.

McEntee came out during the week and said that they won't be trying to stop people in border counties alright.

Yup, but as long as inter county ban is there, guarantee they'll try and stop people from Dublin or elsewhere going north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

MOR316 wrote: »
    The Euros aren't until the end of June...
    Government think it's risky putting people within 4 or 5 seats of one another, outside, at the end of June...

Having a laugh if people think they'll open up this summer

As I said the other day...

No coincidence the recent positive feeling about things has turned negative and cautious as soon as Tony Holohan returns...

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

True. Effectively the border counties have had lower restrictions throughout, as they have had free choice to choose whichever jurisdiction has the lower restrictions at any given time, as long as within travel restrictions distance of the border. So can now go there to shop, pubs, barbers etc, or holiday there ahead of the other 21 counties Thats simply a side effect of the politics of the island though, and its correct that restrictions on people in non border counties should be restricted from doing the same. If anything, the checks on people from the 21 counties will have to be upped to stop a real surge northwards for the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

Great to see one part of the island opening up.

Pisss poor this part of the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What's worse is how easily some people are willing to accept this curtailing of what were and should be fundamental freedoms and rights.

Stockholm Syndrome.
    Restrictions should be the very minimum needed to address a clearly defined and measured risk, justified appropriately, and last ONLY as long as absolutely necessary.

Instead we have allowed a situation where the most restrictive measures have become the default and the restoration of our rights is what has to be justified.
    Lockdown is now as you say the default position. It's the normal state of affairs. Deviation from this position (easing of restrictions) is seen as radical.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

You have to laugh

Pathetic leadership leaving the decisions to NPHET no questions asked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭B2021M

True. Effectively the border counties have had lower restrictions throughout, as they have had free choice to choose whichever jurisdiction has the lower restrictions at any given time, as long as within travel restrictions distance of the border. So can now go there to shop, pubs, barbers etc, or holiday there ahead of the other 21 counties Thats simply a side effect of the politics of the island though, and its correct that restrictions on people in non border counties should be restricted from doing the same. If anything, the checks on people from the 21 counties will have to be upped to stop a real surge northwards for the next few months.

Hardly acceptable that people in some counties can do things that others can't just because they happen to be in border counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

B2021M wrote: »
    Hardly acceptable that people in some counties can do things that others can't just because they happen to be in border counties.

In the context of the history of the two countries though, while not ideal, it has to be considered acceptable. Or put another way, it is more acceptable than closing the border, and I dont think people in the 21 would disagree with that, just because they dont have the same option as the other 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭B2021M

In the context of the history of the two countries though, while not ideal, it has to be considered acceptable. Or put another way, it is more acceptable than closing the border, and I dont think people in the 21 would disagree with that, just because they dont have the same option as the other 5.

I think perhaps McEntee should have been silent on it though. It was more or less an endorsement for one group to do things that others can't. As you said though we have bigger issues than that to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

km79 wrote: »
    July is still in summer last I checked ......

Your point is?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Good luck to the government trying to get people to go on staycations with no indoor dining available

thats it. Whats the point of booking a nice hotel if the spa is closed, the restaurant is outdoor only and theres no residents bar till 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Will there be loads of checkpoints on main Dublin to Belfast Road come Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

thats it. Whats the point of booking a nice hotel if the spa is closed, the restaurant is outdoor only and theres no residents bar till 3am.
    And the ones with pools all have limits on them along the lines an hour a day. Or 2 hours every 2nd day in centre parcs. And the prices never change to reflect this.

Who would be gouged in the south when there is normality north of the border?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

B2021M wrote: »
    yes some pubs will be closed here 5km over will be open, pathetic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    And the ones with pools all have limits on them along the lines an hour a day. Or 2 hours every 2nd day in centre parcs. And the prices never change to reflect this.

Who would be gouged in the south when there is normality north of the border?

thats it, I think ill look at a city break in Belfast , atleast I can have a few pints without going mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The Europe Hotel and it's sister hotels are only opening up on the 7th of June (no bookings possible for before that point). This coupled with some of the things Leo and Co babble about suggest to me that's when we'll start to have our "outdoor" summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement