Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

charlie14 wrote: »
    We are also one of the lowest in Europe at present for new cases, deaths, hospital and ICU number but that is beside the point

What is the science you believe is behind these European countries opening up ?

Is it not perhaps the science of wishful thinking while at the same time time ignoring scientific data and the figures of a European country like Sweden that is more or less doing what many here belive we should be doing RIGHT NOW OR SOONER.

So let me get this straight all the other countries in Europe are following the science of wishful thinking, cmon you don't honestly think the germans are following wishful thinking do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

niallo27 wrote: »
    "Shops selling essential goods and services may open, as may bookshops, record stores, DIY shops, florists and garden centres, hairdressers, cobblers, chocolate shops, car sellers and estate agents. These shops must close for 7PM."

Do you even read what you post. Do a bit of research before you post rubbish in future please.

When did we have a curfew from 7PM to 6AM?

When did we have a curfew from 7PM to 6AM?

There is **** all to do, what difference does it make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Surely curfews are counterproductive to a degree anyway? People will just flock to public transportation and shops etc all at once because of the narrower timeframe to do business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Id rather now just shut the whole country for two weeks.

People have a month to get their supplies together.

After that you cannot leave your house, anyone caught outside get a 5K fine.

Im pretty sure everyone would bey,

• Advertisement

Are you still claiming that Ireland currently has the most strict lockdown in Europe?

Are you still claiming that Ireland currently has the most strict lockdown in Europe?

Yes name a stricter country in Europe please.

Yes name a stricter country in Europe please.

France

France

Shops selling essential goods and services may open, as may bookshops, record stores, DIY shops, florists and garden centres, hairdressers, cobblers, chocolate shops, car sellers and estate agents. These shops must close for 7PM

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Absolutely open to correction but is it really far right, theres a lot of groups in the uk that are just anti lockdown / pro personal freedom that are not associated with / aligned with any traditional “far right” politics ?

Is it possibly just an automatic association to somehow make it seem worse in the media ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

So let me get this straight all the other countries in Europe are following the science of wishful thinking, cmon you don't honestly think the germans are following wishful thinking do you.

I told you for most European countries all I have looked at is their vaccination figures. You were the one that said these countries that you believe we should be copying are doing whatever they are doing based on scientific data, so what is this data based on ?

Simple enough question seeing it was you that said it was science based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

https://twitter.com/IrlagainstFash/status/1386035255728091144?s=20

Great to see people out enjoying themselves in Salthill today.

The poster is still scaremongering even when everyone knows that being outdoors is one of the safest places that you can be.

As it was before Christmas, people are grabbing onto freedom in a fear that it will be taken away again.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Suprised the Sunday papers don’t have a full breakdown of the easing of restrictions and reopening of hospitality over the Summer . It’s usually leaked to them by now !
    Maybe the govt are waiting on J and J approval to fully decide .
    Hopefully it gets approval and that along with early AZ delivery should allow vaccine rollout to speed up considerably and same with easing of restrictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

km79 wrote: »
    Suprised the Sunday papers don’t have a full breakdown of the easing of restrictions and reopening of hospitality over the Summer . It’s usually leaked to them by now !
    Maybe the govt are waiting on J and J approval to fully decide .
    Hopefully it gets approval and that along with early AZ delivery should allow vaccine rollout to speed up considerably and same with easing of restrictions

I can tell you what was on the news this morning. The government is pushing through the minimum pricing for alcohol bill (MUP) with great urgency in the next couple of weeks because they are now linking "cheap alcohol" to the spread of Covid. A leaked government memo shows that there will be a minimum price of 10 cent per gram of alcohol. They are blaming everything except their own incompetence.

In the next election cycle we should well remember these punitive measures and long harsh restrictions imposed by the FFGG government. We deserve no better if we vote them back in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

walus wrote: »
    As it was before Christmas, people are grabbing onto freedom in a fear that it will be taken away again.

Exactly

A disgusting development in Irish society is that people now film others on a beach for the purpose of generating outrage.

Social media is the biggest mental health issue of our time

Kivaro wrote: »
    I can tell you what was on the news this morning. The government is pushing through the minimum pricing for alcohol bill (MUP) with great urgency in the next couple of weeks because they are now linking "cheap alcohol" to the spread of Covid. A leaked government memo shows that there will be a minimum price of 10 cent per gram of alcohol. They are blaming everything except their own incompetence.

In the next election cycle we should well remember these punitive measures and long harsh restrictions imposed by the FFGG government. We deserve no better if we vote them back in again.

Good man Tony

https://alcoholireland.ie/dr-tony-holohan-chief-medical-officer-delivers-the-opening-address-at-alcohol-action-irelands-have-we-bottled-it-alcohol-marketing-and-young-people-conference/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40203194.html%3ftype=amp
    The Chief Medical Officer says any new measures to crack down on people's consumption of alcohol would be "very welcome".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/314731/
    Dr Holohan said the average per capita consumption of litres of pure alcohol per year is 11.9 litres. He said this equates to 482 pints of lager, or 45 bottles of vodka a year.

He said the average adult is consuming the equivalent of a bottle of vodka a week.

According to 2007 figures, alcohol misuse is estimated to account for €1.2bn of health expenditure.

The total cost to the economy is estimated at €3.7bn when the costs of alcohol related crime, absenteeism and loss of productivity are factored

He was very concerned about the economy in the past when it suited his agenda

Never waste a crisis as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Id rather now just shut the whole country for two weeks.

People have a month to get their supplies together.

After that you cannot leave your house, anyone caught outside get a 5K fine.

Im pretty sure everyone would bey,

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't.

The "zero covid approach" nonsense was never and is not a solution here.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record..

- Over 99% of people in this country are are little to no risk from Covid as evidenced by the actual numbers of deaths over the last 13 months, and the demographics of those who died. Of those 99%, a significant number don't even realise they have it unless told by a test. A difference that makes no difference, IS no difference

- At this point, the less than 1% at most risk have now almost all been vaccinated which we keep being told is the way out

- Covid is a seasonal disease and just like last year the numbers here have fallen rapidly as the weather has gotten warmer, even despite the glacially slow vaccination roll-out.
    Yet despite this and a year's worth of actual data and experience with this virus, as we enter May, we find ourselves more facing more restrictions than we did this time last year and a slower reopening than we had then.
    By the end of May last year the country was effectively fully reopened (pubs aside) with limited restrictions - we didn't even have to wear masks. Yet this year this process is to be dragged out over months with threats of more restrictions into the autumn and winter

- The public mood has finally shifted as an increasing majority have become fed up with the approach by NPHET and Government (as evidenced by recent polls) because they can see for themselves in their own circles and localities that the actual risks are minimal for the overwhelming majority of people. Many are therefore ignoring the restrictions as much as possible (those not involving financial or legal penalties), and yet still the numbers decline

- Your idea doesn't factor into account the small points that we are an island nation with a shared border and depend fundamentally on foreign trade and movement, and that attempts to limit the latter through the botched and much-too-late mandatory quarantine system have drawn official concern and legal threats from the EU

I could go on, but I think I've proven why your idea is not only completely unworkable, it's completely unnecessary too.

Not alone that but there is talk of serious inflation on the way. As if things aren’t bad enough already.

Exactly

A disgusting development in Irish society is that people now film others on a beach for the purpose of generating outrage.

Social media is the biggest mental health issue of our time

Couldn’t agree more. I’d even add that social media was also the main reason, a spark, that ignited this ‘lockdown’ strategy of dealing with the outbreak of the virus across the globe. It has been used to manipulate people’s behaviour already and nothing is being done to stop that.

Yep, was just reading about that myself here.

Tony's anti-alcohol crusade - under the guise of public health of course - pays off as more nanny-state laws are enacted by the weakest Government this country has possibly ever seen.

Those with alcohol problems will just pay anyway while sacrificing something else (like food or utility bills or things like motor tax or items for their families).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

charlie14 wrote: »
    Other than personally I would prefer a health professional not to be sleepwalking if I had a medical problem, you have spectacularly avoided even making an attempt to address what I posted.

Do you know anything about the shift patterns of Irish nurses. Its 12/13 hour shift both night and day shifts. This has been the pattern for years.

Couldn’t agree more. I’d even add that social media was also the main reason, a spark, that ignited this ‘lockdown’ strategy of dealing with the outbreak of the virus across the globe. It has been used to manipulate people’s behaviour already and nothing is being done to stop that.

I keep saying it.. While social media has been useful in terms of exposing things that our lazy Governments would rather not be talked about, on the whole its influence is increasingly negative and damaging to society.

This is particularly evident in Ireland where (for whatever reason) many have an instinctive need for approval and validation and so will eagerly jump on board with whatever is trending or "correct" with minimal research or critical analysis of their own.

This was bad enough when it was confined to cyberspace, but the last few years have seen it overflow into the Real World in Ireland with stuff like the BLM movement and outrage over systemic racism in the US (Ireland is not America), identity politics and division, immigration policy, and an increasing polarisation in national debate as this aggressive and adversarial mantra seeps into our own society.

It's increasingly worrying when you look at the focus people like Varadkar, McEntee, Harris, O'Gorman, Donnelly and others in the "new generation" of politicians put on it and the influence it seems to have on them. These are politicians in key positions making far-reaching decisions based on little more than mob rule and soundbites.

Forget about just taxing these big social media companies more. It's strong regulation of the content and the increasing influence they are having on national policies that's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I posted this https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115118482&postcount=5601 back in October before Sweden slid inexorably into a quagmire of death and destruction. Just going to check if anything has changed. Eh? No.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yep, was just reading about that myself here.

Tony's anti-alcohol crusade - under the guise of public health of course - pays off as more nanny-state laws are enacted by the weakest Government this country has possibly ever seen.

Those with alcohol problems will just pay anyway while sacrificing something else (like food or utility bills or things like motor tax or items for their families).

Maybe slightly off topic but home heating oil is going up as well on May 1st carbon tax. Adds 19 euro on a 900 liter tank.Maybe not something people are thinking about now as we come into summer but it all adds up quickly.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I keep saying it.. While social media has been useful in terms of exposing things that our lazy Governments would rather not be talked about, on the whole its influence is increasingly negative and damaging to society.

This is particularly evident in Ireland where (for whatever reason) many have an instinctive need for approval and validation and so will eagerly jump on board with whatever is trending or "correct" with minimal research or critical analysis of their own.

This was bad enough when it was confined to cyberspace, but the last few years have seen it overflow into the Real World in Ireland with stuff like the BLM movement and outrage over systemic racism in the US (Ireland is not America), identity politics and division, immigration policy, and an increasing polarisation in national debate as this aggressive and adversarial mantra seeps into our own society.

It's increasingly worrying when you look at the focus people like Varadkar, McEntee, Harris, O'Gorman, Donnelly and others in the "new generation" of politicians put on it and the influence it seems to have on them. These are politicians in key positions making far-reaching decisions based on little more than mob rule and soundbites.

Forget about just taxing these big social media companies more. It's strong regulation of the content and the increasing influence they are having on national policies that's needed.

I’ve seen research whereby a selected community was targeted on one of social media platforms and fed with news. The content was prepared to create various scenarios ranging from strong polarity to consensus. Individuals and their behaviour and opinions were monitored throughout. One interesting thing, among many really, was that even the most radical individuals were likely to change their views if fed with right content. The study was done on a community in Boston. Nothing to do with Cambridge Analytica.

Absolutely scary stuff. No need for an atomic bomb, when you can use social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

https://twitter.com/IrlagainstFash/status/1386035255728091144?s=20

Great to see people out enjoying themselves in Salthill today.

No prizes for guess which community these people are all members of.

As this pandemic started the first thing that many governments did was to **** their pants. Only later they managed to clean themselves up, change pants and start thinking.

Irish government never managed that. They are still holding it firm, worst of all they seem to be quite happy with that. The smell however is unbearable at this stage. Soon Europe will notice.

I’ve seen research whereby a selected community was targeted on one of social media platforms and fed with news. The content was prepared to create various scenarios ranging from strong polarity to consensus. Individuals and their behaviour and opinions were monitored throughout. One interesting thing, among many really, was that even the most radical individuals were likely to change their views if fed with right content. The study was done on a community in Boston. Nothing to do with Cambridge Analytica.

Absolutely scary stuff. No need for an atomic bomb, when you can use social media.

Social media is a minefield, fake news, real news, fact checkers etc.

No prizes for guess which community these people are all members of.

The Irish community

Some are determined to destroy it though

• Advertisement

I posted this https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115118482&postcount=5601 back in October before Sweden slid inexorably into a quagmire of death and destruction. Just going to check if anything has changed. Eh? No.

Christ on a bicycle

It’s been a long Winter living in Ireland

And it’s not ending anytime soon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement