Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Did someone still the Zero Covid Social Democrats tongue? The puppets of ISAG seem to have lost their voice the last few weeks. I'd expect them to furious at the easing of restrictions. We are miles off their 10 cases a day demand before easing any restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Nice to see our beloved Gardai keeping us all safe this sunny weekend.

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1385951679703564290?s=21

Well that's embarrassing of them.
    The responses to that post on Twitter should give them an indication of what the people in this country think about their scaremongering and intimidatory tactics.
    One of these days the country will develop a backbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,110 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I am regularly down at beauty spots near me. One of them was busy last Sunday to be fair, but it was still a steady stream of people walking socially distant apart. Everytime I have been, everyone, even toddlers, recognize other people's boundaries.

Absolutely no sign of anyone taking the piss, because believe it or not, most people are delighted to be able to get out and about and are used to adhering to the rules by now.

I bet there will be no "policing" of Penneys beyond the queue at the door when that reopens.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

I am regularly down at beauty spots near me. One of them was busy last Sunday to be fair, but it was still a steady stream of people walking socially distant apart. Everytime I have been, everyone, even toddlers, recognize other people's boundaries.

Absolutely no sign of anyone taking the piss, because believe it or not, most people are delighted to be able to get out and about and are used to adhering to the rules by now.

I bet there will be no "policing" of Penneys beyond the queue at the door when that reopens.

Just out of interest what did you observe that was so different to anything pre-Covid? I ask because I live near a beauty spot and it’s been the same the past six weeks or so, in nice weather, as anything pre-Covid.

People travelling there to spend time with friends and family. It looks the same to me - nothing to do with people being used to following rules. If you’ve found a toddler that recognises other peoples boundaries though, that is an unusual observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,110 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just out of interest what did you observe that was so different to anything pre-Covid? I ask because I live near a beauty spot and it’s been the same the past six weeks or so, in nice weather, as anything pre-Covid.

People travelling there to spend time with friends and family. It looks the same to me - nothing to do with people being used to following rules. If you’ve found a toddler that recognises other peoples boundaries though, that is an unusual observation.

Nothing different to pre-covid.

People out for their daily exercise, or families getting some fresh air. One of the spots near me is popular for older people and I was there the other day and noticed an increase in that age group compared to a couple of months ago.

I wouldn't say it's following rules as such, more keeping to themselves. But it's definitely noticeable how lot more orderly people are queuing for coffees etc in those hatches that have popped up :D

Which is my point exactly-why the need to have any gardaí presence, when virtually all the clientelé are there keeping to themselves or their little bubble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

There was a major anti-lockdown protest in Central London today. Focusing on the proposed issuance of vaccine passports.

By all accounts, it wasn't a few hundred radicals and activists. There were tens of thousands of ordinary citizens on the streets.

Many Europeans are pushing back against curfews and restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    There was a major anti-lockdown protest in Central London today. Focusing on the proposed issuance of vaccine passports.

By all accounts, it wasn't a few hundred radicals and activists. There were tens of thousands of ordinary citizens on the streets.

:pac: By whose accounts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TrangiaCoffee

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Thankfully we have fewer tin foil hatters, Trump supporters and climate deniers here in Ireland.

ypres5 wrote: »
    Apparently it's too dangerous to have 11k people attend a sports game in several weeks time in ireland but its perfectly safe for the rest of europe. And there's people who'll back it to the hilt for whatever reason

And speaking of backing things to the hilt no matter what, do you remember the defence of the €9 meal?

In light of Simon Harris’ comments on that ridiculous affair I wonder will the staunch supporters of substantial meals with drinks maybe now admit that it was a nonsense?

‘Yeah, it became a bit of a mockery the last time, if I’m being honest,’ he said.

‘This idea that a plate of chicken goujons can somehow protect you from COVID. What protects you from COVID is social distancing, being safe indoors, wearing your mask, washing your hands, and all those things we’ve learned.’

https://extra.ie/2021/04/21/news/irish-news/wedding-guests-summer#gallery_1

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Thankfully we have fewer tin foil hatters, Trump supporters and climate deniers here in Ireland.

Considerably more Karens and Ned Flanders though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

So everyone who opposes lockdown is a tinfoil hat wearing, trump supporter climate denier? What do any of those things have to do with covid other than your own lazy pigeonholing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I am glad to see the back of Trump

I see climate change as one of the biggest challenges we'll face as a species

I wash my hands, I wear my mask, I keep my distance

I hate lockdown. Won't protest against it but that's not what you said.

Where does that put me?

Don't generalise dude

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

And speaking of backing things to the hilt no matter what, do you remember the defence of the €9 meal?

In light of Simon Harris’ comments on that ridiculous affair I wonder will the staunch supporters of substantial meals with drinks maybe now admit that it was a nonsense?

‘Yeah, it became a bit of a mockery the last time, if I’m being honest,’ he said.

‘This idea that a plate of chicken goujons can somehow protect you from COVID. What protects you from COVID is social distancing, being safe indoors, wearing your mask, washing your hands, and all those things we’ve learned.’

https://extra.ie/2021/04/21/news/irish-news/wedding-guests-summer#gallery_1

Yeah but that tool Harris supported the 9 euro meal rule last year. He's great at distancing himself from rules he agreed previously. He never publicly argued against it last year. The usual I'll be liked on social media for opposing it Harris statement..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

niallo27 wrote: »
    Are we following the same science as the rest of Europe.

Whatever this science you believe all the rest of Europe is following I presume you have some scientific data to back it up. Yes/No ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

dickheads

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are cops all over Europe doing the same?

RGS wrote: »
    Yeah but that tool Harris supported the 9 euro meal rule last year. He's great at distancing himself from rules he agreed previously. He never publicly argued against it last year. The usual I'll be liked on social media for opposing it Harris statement..

Yes true. And that’s the case for all politicians and experts. The politicians make laws and guidelines based on the experts recommendations, and ultimately both are insulated from any repercussions or accountability- no matter the collateral damage or how nonsensical the resulting law in hindsight.

Harris had half the country nodding their heads in agreement with the logic of mandating a €9 meal with drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Harris had half the country nodding their heads in agreement with the logic of mandating a €9 meal with drinks.

That rule made SFA difference only to the wallet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Reading some of the contributions here is more annoying than Level 4.7 restrictions.

Just grow up, we are near the finish line and a bit of maturity and patience wouldn't go amiss. Too much sacrifice has gone into getting us this far and that shouldn't be jeopardised. Good news on the vaccine front too, I have to hand it to the organisers. Once the supplies arrived it is all systems go.

A lot to look forward to and I feel the most positive I have felt in over a year now, plus the weather today was ace, which helps. Let the negativity go FGS and look forward to better times in a very short while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

charlie14 wrote: »
    Whatever this science you believe all the rest of Europe is following I presume you have some scientific data to back it up. Yes/No ?

Back what up, I asked you the question is Europe following a different science to us, what data have I to back up. I don't know that's why I'm asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thatsmighty

Outdoor contact sport should return

Reading some of the contributions here is more annoying than Level 4.7 restrictions.

Just grow up, we are near the finish line and a bit of maturity and patience wouldn't go amiss. Too much sacrifice has gone into getting us this far and that shouldn't be jeopardised. Good news on the vaccine front too, I have to hand it to the organisers. Once the supplies arrived it is all systems go.

A lot to look forward to and I feel the most positive I have felt in over a year now, plus the weather today was ace, which helps. Let the negativity go FGS and look forward to better times in a very short while now.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/shopping/ireland-lockdown-13-popular-dublin-20458360

Tell that to the lads here who's businesses and livelihoods are down the drain along with thousands of others. I'm sure you'll be telling us all about those sunny better times when the bill arrives although judging by the condescending tone of your post I guess you feel that's everyone else's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/shopping/ireland-lockdown-13-popular-dublin-20458360

Tell that to the lads here who's businesses and livelihoods are down the drain along with thousands of others. I'm sure you'll be telling us all about those sunny better times when the bill arrives although judging by the condescending tone of your post I guess you feel that's everyone else's problem.

We're blaming debenhams and topshop on covid now? Clutching a bit.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    We're blaming debenhams and topshop on covid now? Clutching a bit.

What about all the pubs, restaurants and cafes in the article who cited covid as their reason for closing? Clutch at those straws rather than cherry picking what suits you

niallo27 wrote: »
    Back what up, I asked you the question is Europe following a different science to us, what data have I to back up. I don't know that's why I'm asking.

The only science out there that is going to get us out of this yoyo of lockdowns, which even the most moronic antivax flat earther should see my this stage, is vaccines.

The U.K. were at a much higher percentage of vaccinations before they even began staged openings. We still do not know how successful or not that has been, but the data at the moment looks good.

That is the only science we have on opening. So this science that You appear to believe the rest of Europe has, is it based on them at a higher level of vaccination than we have, is it based on the U.K. data, or is it based on nothing much more than chance it and hope for the best similar to "sure it will most likely be grand, fingers crossed, to allow large crowds at EUFA games in a few week"
    You appear to be following what`s going on in Europe more than me, `(I follow their vaccination percentages and I do not see any great differences to here), so you tell me, what science are all these European countries following ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,297 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What about all the pubs, restaurants and cafes in the article who cited covid as their reason for closing? Clutch at those straws rather than cherry picking what suits you

Were those pubs already likely to close before covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

More pontificating nonsense

The finish line is long long way off as MM alluded Friday
    "At the end of 2021 I can. There will be a bit of nervousness around the Autumn and Winter because I believe there's a seasonality attached to this virus.

"I think we need to tread a bit over water over the winter but I do think that we can open up over time. I think we need to do it cautiously.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Were those pubs already likely to close before covid?

Anything to back that up? Several of the pub owners specify the last year as being what caused them to close and I imagine they know their businesses better than you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Anyone here that isn't old or vulnerable, is a hypocrite if they are taking this blackmail vaccine and at same time, bitching and rightfully so, about these nphet and government clowns ! Loads of my mates have decided not to vaccine are, they are zero risky, healthy. Why would you pump your body with this dollar grabbing, risky vaccine... its lunacy...

• Advertisement

Pubs restaurants and cafes open before Christmas really work out well :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement