Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Tony says no to hairdressers
    Tony says no to Antigen test

Hold firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You can get a haircut in Germany with a negative antigen test. You get one free test per day. Result in 30 mins. I’d imagine hairdressers here might be happy enough to trade in those circumstances.

I think the anti restrictions mob in Ireland would have a conniption fit first tbh.

Personally I invested in some hair clippers at the start and they're doing the job quite nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

11521323 wrote: »
    Lads for the last time, if you're having a debate with an individual on here and they're displaying a lack of ability to utilize logic or the scientific method of validation, stop replying. It's going to be far less stressful for you :)

That might be a tad harsh ?

For me,these somewhat comedic exchanges underline the REAL effects of our Pandemic Response,not only in Ireland but Worldwide.

An increasing tendency to question authority and direction in modern Society could finally,IMO now be addressed without having to worry about pushback from the Great Unwashed.

A quick trawl through many of these posts will show total compliance with,and subserviance to,whatever "Authoritarian Directive" is issued on any given day....comply immediately,do NOT question...Hold Firm lads.

Add this to a widespread belief in their own essential "goodness and desire to prove their intellectual superiority over the demoinized lumpen masses,and you have an almost Reiligious Zeal to FORCE the thing to it's conclusion.

Very little credence is given to pausing for thought on the Official edicts,as,I feel significant numbers of the populous are now indoctrinated with total belief in their "betters" ability to get them out of this.

There is most likely,little to be done about this now.:(

We have indeed entered a new phase in Human Governance and Regulation,the results of which will now be seen sooner,rather than later.

It is no coincidence that for the Major Players,the compliance campaign has been an overwhelmingly easily won victory,and the Governments Worldwide are now pushing harder and faster with their phase 2 strategy,centred around GLOBAL WARMING etc.

The huge realignment of World Leaders timetables regarding the GW "corrective measures" will very shortly be revealed as hugely increasing the average persons cost-of-living,but hey !...It's necessary for the protection of whatever is the buzz term for the day.

When,in the nearer future,our Electricity Bills have trebled,Natural Gas usage has been deemed anti-social,and travel outside our own parish has been deemed unnecessary,unless using a VERY expensive approved form of Carbon Neutral transport,we will look back on COVID-19 as being a walk-in-the park.....Hold Firm everybody,we're all in this together ;)

(Anybody know the address of the Conspiracy Theory Party ? ) :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭acequion

I haven't posted on this thread in a while. But just reading the last few pages I can see that the level of frustration and fear for the future is tangible. And unfortunately very justified. Eddie Wilson of Ryanair said we're becoming the laughing stock of Europe with our over cautious outlier policies and he is so right. Only it's no laughing matter for those of us stuck here and those of us who only ever asked for balance and reason in the handing of this.

When you have ego trippers, idiots and zealots in charge of the country and lunatics in opposition you really would have to hugely fear for the future in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

11521323 wrote: »
    Speaking on The Hard Shoulder on Friday the Taoiseach said that he could see himself going to a match, having a pint, or going to a wedding again by the end of this year - however, he is "not precise" about what number of people would be allowed to attend.

Micheál Martin wants salons and retail "to stay open" once restrictions are eased

"At the end of 2021, I can. There will be a bit of nervousness around the autumn and winter period because I do believe there is a seasonality attached to this virus and related viruses," he said.

"I think we need to just tread with a bit of caution through the winter, but, I do think we can open up over time. We need to do it cautiously."

When pressed on if this meant a return to major sporting events, he replied: "Slow down now with 10,000, 15,000 people, I don't know how we're going to get there."

Tread with a bit of caution through the Winter? He's saying this in late April! How people will happily listen to this inept piece of **** and actually agree defies belief.

We'll have everyone vaccinated by September, there is absolutely zero reason to not have everything opened and fully back to normal come October. As I said, places like Florida have done that ALREADY.

The acceptance of mediocrity and this level of caution when we have the best incidence rate and hospitalizations per capita within Europe is honestly mimd blowing and makes us a laughing stock.

Micheal Martin is terrified. Not of covid, but of making a decision and being held accountable for it if it's wrong. He's the definition of an "empty suit".

All Micheal wanted was to be Taoiseach so he wouldn't be the only FF leader not to be. That's it. No other plan or agenda.

It's the same as how Enda Kenny's crusade to be the only FG Taoiseach to get a second term led to backroom last minute deals with the likes of Shane Ross, and Katherine Zappone. Once he got that he was happy to take the money and run.

Michael hasn't a clue how to deal with Holohan and NPHET, and he has Leo yapping at his heels doing his "look at me" act to remind everyone he's still there too. Michael can barely keep his own party in line at this stage as well. They're just waiting for the right moment to sink the knife.

He's our John Major. Dull, grey and uninspiring in every respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Micheal Martin is terrified. Not of covid, but of making a decision and being held accountable for it if it's wrong. He's the definition of an "empty suit".

All Micheal wanted was to be Taoiseach so he wouldn't be the only FF leader not to be. That's it. No other plan or agenda.

It's the same as how Enda Kenny's crusade to be the only FG Taoiseach to get a second term led to backroom last minute deals with the likes of Shane Ross, and Katherine Zappone. Once he got that he was happy to take the money and run.

Michael hasn't a clue how to deal with Holohan and NPHET, and he has Leo yapping at his heels doing his "look at me" act to remind everyone he's still there too. Michael can barely keep his own party in line at this stage as well. They're just waiting for the right moment to sink the knife.

100% this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

From dictionary.com:
    empty suit
    [ emp-tee soot ]

noun Slang.
    an executive, manager, or official regarded as ineffectual, incompetent, or lacking in leadership qualities such as creativity and empathy:
    Their executive search came up with one empty suit after another.

Micheal to a tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

JRant wrote: »
    200+ cases in a population of over 1 million is considered high?

It is if you're a panic ridden bed wetter

Or in some way deriving benefit or enjoyment from lockdowns and restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

gozunda wrote: »
    Ah there we go again Ireland is the Worstest ever.

Well just checked the covid stringency index data for Ireland as compared to some of our favourite EU holiday destinations

And guess what? Looks like there's bugger all difference atm between us.

56yh5s.jpg

With Greece leading the Pack and Ireland and Italy having the same scores. And even with periods of time we're at the bottom of that graph.

Detail here.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-stringency-index?tab=chart&time=2020-01-21..2021-04-22&region=Europe&country=IRL~DEU~GRC~ITA~ESP

Do we have restrictions? Yes we do. Coincidentally we also have a low incidence rate of cases and deaths. How about we shout about that?

I guess its all too easy to mouth off and try and claim its all some big kinda conspiracy just to keep us all locked up.

But just like India etc eh?

Didn't you say last week you weren't sure about that data source 🙄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Was at a match yrs ago innocent days of being able to go to a match and who parks beside me only mehole.said to a friend of mine traveling with me there’s mehole and he heard me.he wasn’t impressed at me saying that and gave me a look.I replied back to his look saying god help us if he ever became Taoiseach.little did I think he would or I would be proved right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Making up alternative plans for concerts in the Autumn and will fly over to the UK instead. No way will they allow the 3Arena host stuff here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,916 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

niallo27 wrote: »
    Exactly you finally got it, nobody has a clue when this is or what criteria we need to meet to get there.

I would have thought the criteria is fairly simple at this stage. Same as it has been in the U.K. and Israel. The level of vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would have thought the criteria is fairly simple at this stage. Same as it has been in the U.K. and Israel. The level of vaccinations.

Nope it's just wait and see with our lads pending on public health advice

Ireland is in Tony's hands

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

While I agree somewhat, 'level of vaccinations' isn't criteria, it's just general, vague phrasing. The 'levels' should be guided more imo and it would only help what the government is bumbling over constantly to convey.

PTH2009 wrote: »

Personally like the "mehole" comments I find this idea that we are now a dictatorship ruled by someone called Tony a bit childish.
    More new world order conspiracy theory than anthing related to discussion on relaxation of restrictions.

What do you advise other than listening to public advise before making decisions, just take a punt and open up regardless ?

I really am at this stage of the belief that some here are afraid that by following the science we will eliminate the need to yoyo in and out of lockdowns and leave them with no lockdowns to crib and cry about.

Corholio wrote: »
    While I agree somewhat, 'level of vaccinations' isn't criteria, it's just general, vague phrasing. The 'levels' should be guided more imo and it would only help what the government is bumbling over constantly to convey.

I would see it as guided by the UK in particular vaccination levels and their staged opening, with us being in the happy position to see from their outcomes what they have got right or if it may need to be tweeked somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »

Do you believe this stuff as you're writing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Personally like the "mehole" comments I find this idea that we are now a dictatorship ruled by someone called Tony a bit childish.
    More new world order conspiracy theory than anthing related to discussion on relaxation of restrictions.

What do you advise other than listening to public advise before making decisions, just take a punt and open up regardless ?

I really am at this stage of the belief that some here are afraid that by following the science we will eliminate the need to yoyo in and out of lockdowns and leave them with no lockdowns to crib and cry about.

Are we following the same science as the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

He’ll be ok though, like all of them, he just has to tough it out and evade responsibility long enough to get all those nice pension entitlements flowing in. They don’t give two hoots about the future of the country, none of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/24/lockdown-proponents-cant-escape-blame-biggest-public-health/

Lockdown enthusiasts in shambles. Interesting to see Aoife McLysaght was rolled out to spout more nonsense in the Independent today. Another ISAG nut who is not qualified to comment on a pandemic.

Why are the media obsessed with unqualified ISAG nuts? Why not just ask the binman, postal worker or a solicitor for their opinion?

Aoife McLysaght, Tomas Ryan and co are no more qualified to talk about restrictions and the pandemic than my dog is. We are out of our depth, drowning in nonsense and hysteria.

The media have played a pivotal role in whipping up hysteria and fearmongering. If the media did their job, they would tell you none of these people are experts and let's not pretend that they are.

RTE, Newstalk, Info, IT etc. should all hang their heads in shame. Embarrassing giving these people a platform to spread lies in the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

UDAWINNER wrote: »

Certainly not

The gyms have been shut for months

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Nice to see our beloved Gardai keeping us all safe this sunny weekend.

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1385951679703564290?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

Into the breach once more... heroes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭Penfailed

That's fair enough, we can both agree that restrictions are easing a bit too slowly anyway.

For sure. It's a sliding scale. I'd imagine you think more stuff should open more quickly than me...but I'm risk averse by nature.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Are we following the same science as the rest of Europe.

Ours is more scientier than theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Will they be dancing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

the kelt wrote: »
    Ours is more scientier than theirs.

Apparently it's too dangerous to have 11k people attend a sports game in several weeks time in ireland but its perfectly safe for the rest of europe. And there's people who'll back it to the hilt for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gobshoites

Be better all round if they were on the beat down around the North wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

lawred2 wrote: »
    Gobshoites

Be better all round if they were on the beat down around the North wall

I say they will be on a the routes up north from Friday onwards afraid everyone will be making a rush up there. Was tempted but couldn't be arsed now hassle just hassle they will make it. Plus more not sure what way the PSNI will be then if your stopped up there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement