Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

So no evidence then just a wisecrack. Why am I not surprised?.

but you do admit I'm wise Montezuma? and yet you're not surprised by my wisdom, i'm flattered indeed.

oh the burden of proof is on me then? not on you to prove everyone is conforming?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

rusty cole wrote: »
    but you do admit I'm wise Montezuma? and yet you're not surprised by my wisdom, i'm flattered indeed.

oh the burden of proof is on me then? not on you to prove everyone is conforming?

You made the claim so absolutely yes it is, If you can without the smartarse remarks that is.. Off vou go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

but only against colgate original..

LOL

You made the claim so absolutely yes it is, If you can without the smartarse remarks that is.. Off vou go.

Have you ever served in the bar son?? every put your glass in the hands of another man???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Say this will go down like a lead balloon. https://twitter.com/hughescraig90/status/1375221314080935943?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Full back to life around the Northside of from what I can see. I have to drive for essential work during the day and place is busy busy on the roads, shops open. Many businesses open in industrial units behind closed doors, construction continuing apace behind the hoarding.

Folks calling over to each other, chatting on the streets, meeting up for coffees and having picnic chats etc.

Mother’s Day had queues in the supermarkets for flowers and cards, Paddy’s day saw pints and a packed Clontarf.

I’ve chatted to lots of people in work and they’re definitely out well past their 5k and these are people in their 60s! Then we have kids and teenagers out on the streets in big groups with zero distancing.

Checkpoints are useless as you can just say you’re going to or from the shops.

Thankfully Dublin has moved on now that our very vulnerable are vaccinated. Now let’s properly open up and start paying for this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Have you ever served in the bar son?? every put your glass in the hands of another man???

So again you are unable to provide any evidence to back up your claim. Hmmmmm...Good night buddy boy. Sweet dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Eod100 wrote: »

Reading the comments underneath it and it is. Someone also pointed out Varakar's partner works there..I'm not one for gossip though..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Reading the comments underneath it and it is. Someone also pointed out Varakar's partner works there..I'm not one for gossip though..

Why would Varadkar's partner give a crap about vaccinating teachers?

Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

That is blood boiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

AdamD wrote: »
    Why would Varadkar's partner give a crap about vaccinating teachers?

Christ

You'd need to ask the person who tweeted that. I found it funny so mentioned it.

thebaz wrote: »
    you know that for sure ???

Do you not want a clear roadmap back to some normality (talking about flat earthism) ?

The only thing clear in that particular thread is the level of self inflicted ignorance about what's happening. Id wager you didn't even read the article. Some did others didn't case in point. People only respond to Headlines.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2021/03/17/astrazeneca-vaccine-fails-to-protect-against-the-south-african-variant/

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

That is blood boiling.

More so than the hse admin staff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

That is blood boiling.

It is

But there'll be 24 hours of outage and then forgotten about

See previously:
    • The innocent woman stabbed to death in IFSC
    • Paul Reid making more a year than President Biden
    • Little c*nts, I mean "socially deprived kids" racially abusing a Chinese woman and then pushing her into a river with zero consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

AstraZeneca doesn’t work against the South African strain or the Brazilian strain, people need to wake up to this, this thread is starting to hover very close to the flat earthisum on the relaxation thread
    Cork2021 wrote: »
    Ah, it does work! It still stops people being hospitalised and prevents death!
    These vaccines were never a cure but a preventative measure to stop the spread, severe disease and ultimately deaths!
    So yes the vaccines do work!!

It seems to be in the middle doesn't it - might not prevent serious disease, but hopefully prevents mild and moderate. From what I've read, moderate is sufficient to be hospitalised though?

"In a separate statement, AstraZeneca said the jab offered "limited" protection against mild and moderate disease caused by the variant."

"A spokesman for the pharmaceutical company said it had not yet been able to properly establish whether the jab would prevent severe disease and hospitalisation caused by the South Africa variant because those involved in the study had predominantly been young, healthy adults.

But the company expressed confidence the vaccine would offer protection against serious cases, because it created neutralising antibodies similar to those of other coronavirus vaccines
    ."

"In a news conference on Sunday, Prof Shabir Madhi, who has led trials for the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in South Africa, said the study had been "largely disappointing" in terms of the jab's efficacy against the South Africa variant.

"Unfortunately, the AstraZeneca vaccine does not work against mild and moderate illness," he said, adding that the data did not say whether or not the vaccine might still protect at least against severe infections
    ."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Messi19 wrote: »

Yes. If they wanted to give it to educators, give to SNAs dealing with disabled kids, or, heck, teachers in the local community school. Of course they shouldn't be giving it to educators yet at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Where have I seen this before? Bananastan. Funnily enough I think teachers being vaccinated should be a priority as should other front line workers.
    I don't think it should be based on access or favours like everything else here.

giphy.gif

AstraZeneca doesn’t work against the South African strain or the Brazilian strain, people need to wake up to this, this thread is starting to hover very close to the flat earthisum on the relaxation thread

This is not accurate. This has been discussed to death on the vaccine thread. That study you quoted was highly flawed. Some of the problems include:
    • Insufficient sample size.
    • Demographics that don't allow assessment of disease severity or rate of hospitalizations.
    • Low number of cases.
    • Sub-optimal dosing strategy.
    • Confidence intervals you could fly a jumbo jet through.

All in all it was far from conclusive. There have been other studies that show better results against B.1.351 (All discussed in the vaccine thread). While overall efficacy likely did take a hit it should still provide protection against severe disease and hospitilization.

I posted this about P.1 last week:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...03.12.435194v1

This study looks into antibody evasion by the P.1 variant. It shows that despite having similar mutations it is significantly less resistant to neutralization by naturally acquired and vaccine induced immunity than B.1.351. Titres were actually more comparable to those of B.1.1.7.
    Neutralization titres against P.1 were similar to those against B.1.1.7 and only a minority of samples failed to reach 100% neutralization at 1:20 dilution of serum, considerably better than neutralization of B.1.351, where titres were reduced 7.6-fold and 9-fold for the BNT162b2 Pfizer and ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 AstraZeneca vaccines respectively

As you can see P.1 does not appear to be a big driver of immune escape. AstraZeneca have promised more data on both variants which will hopefully arrive soon. In the meantime please don't say the vaccine doesn't work because that's just not true.

It's very strange to see a supposed academic trying to justify government policy. First thing in science you learn is to say 'I don't know'.

He failed that. It seems that the new reply as per Norma is that " the experts know, the public health doctors just know. " They definitely know it's not happening there but can't say for sure where it's happening anywhere. Joke.

I understand that there is high uncertainty but it's more than a coincident. Belgian PM, German Chancellor comments. Ireland........it'll be grand.

Kids need school. 100%. Acknowledge airborne. Put real preventative measures in place that are not left to the comprehension of the teacher or school. Basically sort it. Stop the bull****. Please. A year of it is not helping anyone.

Of course we need more time to say for CERTAIN but by then it'll be too late.

https://twitter.com/angiebeeb/status/1375177101343608840?s=20

giphy.gif

It seems to be in the middle doesn't it - might not prevent serious disease, but hopefully prevents mild and moderate. From what I've read, moderate is sufficient to be hospitalised though?

"In a separate statement, AstraZeneca said the jab offered "limited" protection against mild and moderate disease caused by the variant."

"A spokesman for the pharmaceutical company said it had not yet been able to properly establish whether the jab would prevent severe disease and hospitalisation caused by the South Africa variant because those involved in the study had predominantly been young, healthy adults.

But the company expressed confidence the vaccine would offer protection against serious cases, because it created neutralising antibodies similar to those of other coronavirus vaccines
    ."

"In a news conference on Sunday, Prof Shabir Madhi, who has led trials for the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in South Africa, said the study had been "largely disappointing" in terms of the jab's efficacy against the South Africa variant.

"Unfortunately, the AstraZeneca vaccine does not work against mild and moderate illness," he said, adding that the data did not say whether or not the vaccine might still protect at least against severe infections
    ."

This is what my intention was to get people to inform themselves, things were going in one direction on here, dangerously inm.

• Advertisement

It's very strange to see a supposed academic trying to justify government policy. First thing in science you learn is to say 'I don't know'.

He failed that. It seems that the new reply as per Norma is that " the experts know, the public health doctors just know. " They definitely know it's not happening there but can't say for sure where it's happening anywhere. Joke.

I understand that there is high uncertainty but it's more than a coincident. Belgian PM, German Chancellor comments. Ireland........it'll be grand.

Kids need school. 100%. Acknowledge airborne. Put real preventative measures in place that are not left to the comprehension of the teacher or school. Basically sort it. Stop the bull****. Please. A year of it is not helping anyone.

Of course we need more time to say for CERTAIN but by then it'll be too late.

https://twitter.com/angiebeeb/status/1375177101343608840?s=20

They don’t have sufficient data to know either way what is going on, he has just worded it ambiguously. FH why don’t they just get there efin act toghter. Clear path out of this my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭fits

Things are not good in Eastern Europe. A lot of people dying in Hungary. https://hungarytoday.hu/hungary-death-rate-covid-deaths-coronavirus-healthcare/

They don’t have sufficient data to know either way what is going on, he has just worded it ambiguously. FH.

Fair enough but let's be honest.

testing of close contacts in schools has been a parallel universe
    "the positivity" rate in children has been very low relative to those who can only get a test with symptoms.

They've been deliberately vague with source of infection since start and have actively said it's not schools despite not having contact tracing.

When numbers rose they closed schools but it's not a issue in context of 500 cases a day.

(48 hours is not contact tracing it only prevents future transmission)

fits wrote: »
    Things are not good in Eastern Europe. A lot of people dying in Hungary. https://hungarytoday.hu/hungary-death-rate-covid-deaths-coronavirus-healthcare/

It’s the South African strain also in Turkey. It why Germany closed its free movement border with Poland the other day

"the positivity" rate in children has been very low relative to those who can only get a test with symptoms.

They've been deliberately vague with source of infection since start and have actively said it's not schools despite not having contact tracing.

When numbers rose they closed schools but it's not a issue in context of 500 cases a day.

I’m not disagreeing with I simple don’t understand why these professionals are doing the governments bidding with the fakery, I mean it’s not as if they can lose their jobs.

FYI I’m between your reply to my post I added some extra text that you prob didn’t see. my bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s the South African strain also in Turkey. It why Germany closed its free movement border with Poland the other day

Uk variant in Hungary. Just reading about it last few minutes. Sounds dire. And rubbish govt there of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Messi19 wrote: »

You might want to stop lumping all HSE admin staff as the same category. Should the HSE staff working from home be vaccinated yet - no. Or the ones not working in hospitals - no.

But 'HSE admin staff' also work on wards, in emergency departments, in busy crowded areas. The first person that deals with the patient. Working alongside the nurses and doctors. Vaccinating them helps protect the vaccinated nurses and doctors too as well as lowering risk to the patient. Vaccinating only medical staff while allowing outbreaks to take hold amongst admin staff is poor policy, admin tasks need to happen for basic functioning of a hospital.

Hospitals received vaccines for their entire staff and were organised into categories. Medical staff first then patient-facing staff like clerical and porters and then the lowest category of non patient-facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Its Ireland

Did anyone really expect the vulnerable to be done before those working in private schools ?

Contact tracing data shows 22 tests per school last week.

And contact tracing in school has positivity of 2.7%. Whereas in general it’s 24%

• Advertisement

Seems to be some traction surrounding a new Ugandan strain, whether it’s true or not I don’t know there are articles but no mainstream pieces yet, one of them says it was detected in Latvia . IDK!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement