Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dublin for good

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

startrek56 wrote: »
    when you feel threatened then yes people will worry..

Again what did you want to do in Dublin that wasn't available?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Cork is nice, but it gets repetitive and dull very quickly. There's really not much going on in terms of live shows, not many social groups, etc. It's quite limited. I never run out of things to do or new places to try in Dublin.

It's a shame you endured such hardship in your few months in Dublin. But it's not for the faint of heart.

Im far from faint of heart, ive lived in more difficult circumstances than I endured in Dublin but still really dislike it. Ive no problem travelling to Dublin or Belfast for a show or a night out if visiting friends but im just as happy when I get to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Exactly. You move to one of the most expensive parts of the city and then complain about cost :pac:

I’m saying even though I was earning a very good salary along with my partner, the costs were prohibitive for a young family to have a good quality of life. There is no comparison to the countryside where I am now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Where do you live Airyfairy? They always go quiet when you ask this.
    Im posting this from a bench on the causeway going to bull island. Views of the whole bay, ferries, flocks of geese flying over... A real kip alright.

I’m saying even though I was earning a very good salary along with my partner, the costs were prohibitive for a young family to have a good quality of life. There is no comparison to the countryside where I am now.

And the countryside would be hell for me. Horses for courses.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying Dublin is perfect, but most of its issues (high scrote concentration, dirty ugly streets) are concentrated in the North inner city. However, slowly but surely the steamroller of gentrification will roll over these areas and clean them right up. The scrotes will be pushed out, the amenities will improve. The north inner city will shine like a new penny. Everyone's a winner!

.............. However, slowly but surely the steamroller of gentrification will roll over these areas and clean them right up. The scrotes will be pushed out..............

I'd have little faith in that tbh.......... unless you are talking about 100 years time and even at that I doubt it. The housing list is full of these people, all wanting to live where they grew up and having kids assists the golden ticket of the free forever home.

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd have little faith in that tbh.......... unless you are talking about 100 years time and even at that I doubt it. The housing list is full of these people, all wanting to live where they grew up and having kids assists the golden ticket of the free forever home.

Look at Smithfield and the IFSC, once wastelands now being reborn. The pincer movement is now in place. I expect it to move inward, step by step.

Look at Smithfield and the IFSC, once wastelands now being reborn. The pincer movement is now in place. I expect it to move inward, step by step.

The only people who can live in Smithsfeild are on large salaries or have mammy & daddy helping them pay the rent. This is one of the biggest issues in Dublin, anywhere thats half decent to live isnt affordable to anyone on an average salary. Unless you work in tech/data/finance ect you have no chance securing a decent affordable living space in Dublin and youre forced to live in some of the most run down & dangerous areas.

If youre living in Smithfield youre viewing Dublin through a very different prism than the vast majority of people who live there or try to live there.

Where do you live Airyfairy??
    None of my friends are on massive salaries and we all do ok here by the way.

• Advertisement

Where do you live Airyfairy??
    None of my friends are on massive salaries and we all do ok here by the way.

Why are you so obsessed with where I am and why does that matter? Some people dont like Dublin, thats allowed you know.

Lol thought you wouldnt want to say. You're all the same, move to Dublin for a bit get intimdated by a 12 year old in a tracksuit and move back to a bungalow near mammy in leitrim or whatever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Eh The IFSC has just been built up around sheriff street and it's local residents, further driving a wedge of inequality and hemming them in.

What's happened is not gentrification, it's a societal ignoring of all that is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Where do you live Airyfairy? They always go quiet when you ask this.
    Im posting this from a bench on the causeway going to bull island. Views of the whole bay, ferries, flocks of geese flying over... A real kip alright.

Dublin. It makes Kolkata look like, well... Calcutta.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Your salary was not high enough so you were living beyond your means. If you had gone somewhere you could afford with better transport links your experience would be much different.
    It is a mistake that alot of people make when moving to Dublin.

The only people who can live in Smithsfeild are on large salaries or have mammy & daddy helping them pay the rent. This is one of the biggest issues in Dublin, anywhere thats half decent to live isnt affordable to anyone on an average salary. Unless you work in tech/data/finance ect you have no chance securing a decent affordable living space in Dublin and youre forced to live in some of the most run down & dangerous areas.

If youre living in Smithfield youre viewing Dublin through a very different prism than the vast majority of people who live there or try to live there.

I'm single live alone near Smithfield, it's quite affordable part of dublin.
    I'm not on huge wages.
    Not sure where you got this idea from.

In what cities can you live in the really fancy areas without a huge wage anyway? None from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

If I had to choose a city to live in id go for Cork, Galway seems to be going the same way as Dublin unfortunately in that its becoming over priced and far too touristy.

I've lived in Cork and Galway and both are ok, but really bad public transport is annoying. I needed to drive to get anywhere anyway effciently. Dublin doesn't have good transport compared to other capital cities but its a hell of a lot better than Cork or Galway!

Like another poster said, Cork gets boring, the nice area of the city with bars restaurants etc is more like a large town. I would definitely consider going to a nice large town rather than Cork, cheaper too

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

Smithfield? Since when is it the epitome of luxury? That statement couldn’t be further than accurate. Rents in Smithfield are average, you could comfortably live in Smithfield on regular wages and live in a nice apartment.

In what cities can you live in the really fancy areas without a huge wage anyway? None from my experience.

Copenhagen is apparently heaven on earth but it's massively expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Copenhagen is apparently heaven on earth but it's massively expensive.

True. Excellent public servies though (I think this is one of the keys to getting rid of the scrotes, but no one wants to pay the taxes).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

True. Excellent public servies though (I think this is one of the keys to getting rid of the scrotes, but no one wants to pay the taxes).

No thanks. I pay plenty already.

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm single live alone near Smithfield, it's quite affordable part of dublin.
    I'm not on huge wages.
    Not sure where you got this idea from.

How much is your rent or mortgage?
    If mortgaged when did you buy?

I rent and I'd rather not get into my personal finances, but it's quite alright. I'm here four and a half years, no rent increases

Yeah, that's how most capital cities work. We pay for the rest of the country.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/documents/statistics/receipts/net-receipts-by-county.pdf

You're welcome lads and lasses, feel free to live and work outside Dublin and keep kicking it, but we'll keep paying for you all.

We're good like that.

Are you in Cork city? Don't they have "scrotes" and high rent for the nice areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

OK - so assuming you didn't get a cheap house off Mammy or the council.
    Or won the crypto/IT/... job lottery ...
    Or have been living in Dublin since the 80s/90s ... and your mortgage is paid:

Reasons to live in greater Dublin vs rest of republic, circa January 2019:
    - best hospitals/medical care/doctors/consultants
    - best 3rd level opportunities
    - best jobs opportunities, work experience
    - best restaurants, nightlife, clubs, theatres, cultural, hookup, ... variety/opportunities
    - best public transport

Reasons to go:
    - highest rents/mortgages, poor quality/sized accommodation
    - longest commutes
    - worst air quality, traffic, noise
    - bad neighbourhoods
    - competition for schools, creches, ...
    - I'm sorted Dubs saying how great Dublin is :)

Really there is a world of difference between what a single guy/girl wants/needs vs what a family wants/needs.

YoshiSays wrote: »
    OK - so assuming you didn't get a cheap house off Mammy or the council.
    Or won the crypto/IT/... job lottery ...
    Or have been living in Dublin since the 80s/90s ... and your mortgage is paid:

Reasons to live in greater Dublin vs rest of republic, circa January 2019:
    - best hospitals/medical care/doctors/consultants
    - best 3rd level opportunities
    - best jobs opportunities, work experience
    - best nightlife, clubs, theatres, hookup opportunities
    - best public transport

Reasons to go:
    - highest rents/mortgages, poor quality/sized accommodation
    - longest commutes
    - worst air quality, traffic, noise
    - bad neighbourhoods
    - competition for schools, creches, ...
    - I'm sorted Dubs saying how great Dublin is :)

Really there is a world of difference between what a single guy/girl wants/needs vs what a family wants/needs.

This one makes no sense, if all the jobs are here why do we have the longest commutes?

This one makes no sense, if all the jobs are here why do we have the longest commutes?

Because bigger cities are lonnnnnger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Traffic is desperate in Dublin + people commuting from sleeper towns in Wicklow, Kildare; North Dublin to South Dublin etc.

Again, this is pre covid. You might see a lot of commuting improvements when virus subsides and people working from home much more often. Ie less demand. A lot of things could improve if this happens.
    But I've a feeling the capacity will stay the same but population will keep increasing everywhere.

Advertisement