Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dublin for good

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭dubrov

Not trying to bash Dublin and then you instantly bash it 

Dublin continues to grow at a much more rapid pace than the rest of the country.

The main attraction is employment where it massively overachieves. Most know if their company folds tomorrow, they can get a similar job around the corner. People's kids can also get jobs in Dublin if they want to live closeby.

You don't get too may people leaving Dublin as employment, family and friends are massive draws and tend to override the other issues.

McGiver wrote: »
    Oslo perhaps.

Copenhagen? I mean what? Copenhagen and Amsterdam vs Dublin is a difference of a league. You can't compare. If you think Dublin is better then I don't know what to say.

Agree with Lisbon about wages but so are the costs.

Copenhagen is boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Copenhagen is boring.

I can't stress this enough, barely any life in the place. I had a great time there but it was like a ghost town at night. And it isn't architecturally pretty outside of Neuhaven or whatever that place is called.
    I spent a couple of weeks backpacking with a Danish guy once and he had visited Dublin before and thought it was amazing because of how lively it was, I don't think he was rating us on our bike lanes and tree canopies.
    Anyway cycling in the centre is improving by the day, I think we'll have a far better functioning city in the coming years, you have to remember that we are decades behind other European cities because of us being a new nation that was mostly poor.
    People move to cities, they have to live with horrible flatmates in an area they don't like, things don't work out for them, and it can often leave a bitter taste in their mouths. I think that's the experience for many Irish people who move to Dublin, and they're also exposed to people from disadvantaged areas and backgrounds that they're rather not have to look at.
    Brings them to the conclusion that the place is a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Hamachi

People move to cities, they have to live with horrible flatmates in an area they don't like, things don't work out for them, and it can often leave a bitter taste in their mouths. I think that's the experience for many Irish people who move to Dublin, and they're also exposed to people from disadvantaged areas and backgrounds that they're rather not have to look at.
    Brings them to the conclusion that the place is a kip.

It’s usually not Irish people from other parts of the country who are supremely critical of Dublin. It’s typically foreigners who move to Dublin for career opportunities.

Pre-Covid I would hear it regularly in work. People moaning about the weather, the food, public transport, unfriendly locals. These same people refuse to spend a little more money to rent in nice areas, despite being very well paid, don’t go to the pub or restaurants, and make zero effort to make Irish friends, existing solely in their whingey little ex-pat bubbles. They then wonder why their lives in Dublin aren’t stellar.

Those who are actually nice and try to get to know Irish people inside and outside of work, who throw themselves into activities and are generally sociable, usually end up having a great time and live in Dublin for many years.

Hamachi wrote: »
    It’s usually not Irish people from other parts of the country who are supremely critical of Dublin. It’s typically foreigners who move to Dublin for career opportunities.

This thread though is just Irish people with the usual complaints

• Advertisement

This thread though is just Irish people with the usual complaints

Untrue. One of the most vocal of those disparaging Dublin on this thread isn’t Irish.

My point holds.

Hamachi wrote: »
    Untrue. One of the most vocal of those disparaging Dublin on this thread isn’t Irish.

My point holds.

How do you know that? It’s not clear from the thread who is from where.

Not to derail the thread, but it’s the person who believes that it’s delusional to compare Dublin to peer cities in Europe. I’ve interacted with that person before on another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Dublin is great when you are young and growing a career but I would be reluctant to raise a family there. Enjoyed 5 years there but would never go back. It appears more scummy and dirty everytime I visit.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Dublin has been gentrified - and much of its culture charm has been priced away.

For example:
    - lots of the green spaces have been developed into property.
    - loads of the trees have been cut down for "insurance reasons"
    - many of the community spaces that made it easy for artists to hold events have been closed down
    - the cost of living suits tech workers who earn say, €80k+ ( €4800 / month after tax ) which allows them to spend 1/2 on their rent or mortgage somewhere close to the city center, bills and services, phone... save some, then have enough left over to actually go out several times a month to bars / restaurants / concerts / events and enjoy other activities too - like weekends away.

The reduction of nature is a big shame IMO.
    I'd love to know how arts scenes are affected - if there is any data describing the number of bands / musicians / artists and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He doesn't. It isn't.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭NSAman

turbot wrote: »
    Dublin has been gentrified - and much of its culture charm has been priced away.

For example:
    - many of the community spaces that made it easy for artists to hold events have been closed down
    - the cost of living suits tech workers who earn say, €80k+ ( €4800 / month after tax ) which allows them to spend 1/2 on their rent or mortgage somewhere close to the city center, bills and services, phone... save some, then have enough left over to actually go out several times a month to bars / restaurants / concerts / events and enjoy other activities too - like weekends away.

I'd love to know how arts scenes are affected - if there is any data describing the number of bands / musicians / artists and so on.

I am loathe to sat it, but the same problem exists with artists in every city. When artists populate an area it becomes bohemian, edgy. It attracts people prices go up and artists move out.

Every city I have lived in has seen the same progression, even some of the smaller towns.

Dublin has not been “gentrified” in the same way that other cities have been. Property prices have simply gone up. There are few older buildings that people could have afforded. The building craze of the 90’s etc..simply built new properties, you didn’t see people rehabbing older properties as much, as the inventory wasn’t there.

Where we have seen gentrification is in the holiday home sector, older neglected homes have been and continue to be bought up and rehabbed. Usually going above guided prices to wealthier outsiders.

Move the scrotes out of the city centre and there's plenty of space for new apartments and amenities.

I wish the political will was there, but sadly no, these wastes of space get prime locations for free so they can "raise" their feral replacements in a cloud of noise and weed.

turbot wrote: »

For example:

What you described above is applicable to most cities with full employment unfortunately, there must be another way, although you're totally exaggerating with the wages required, I know people on half that who live in and around the city centre comfortably enough.
    On nature, this is a countrywide problem, the OPW, farmers, developers etc seem to be doing their best to completely destroy any biodiversity we have remaining, it's sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Move the scrotes out of the city centre and there's plenty of space for new apartments and amenities.

I wish the political will was there, but sadly no, these wastes of space get prime locations for free so they can "raise" their feral replacements in a cloud of noise and weed.
    I am afraid that I have to agree. Lock your bicycle, pop into the shop for a newspaper, come out to see some dirtbird at your bike. Little things all mount up
    and you pay excessive rents while scrotes are given free apartments. Neary 50 million rent arrears due from these toerag families to the Council

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i find it offensive that every male under 30 who lives in the city centre is presumed to be a criminal, this is a modern democracy, Imagine if the gardai
    said we will remove every young man who lives in rathmines or dublin 4
    to another area to reduce crime
    every big city in the world has some level of crime ,pickpockets and drug dealers.
    For someone with 2 or 3 kids its a lot cheaper to live in a small town

riclad wrote: »
    i find it offensive that every male under 30 who lives in the city centre is presumed to be a criminal,

Who said that???

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭heretothere

On the OP - It's a tough one to know if you should keep renting out the property or not. It would no longer be considered your PPR (principal primary residence) for tax purposes, so if you are using the rent a room scheme you would no longer be able to do that. I presume you are using up all your tax credits in your job which means you will be paying about 50% tax on the rent, minus a few expenses e.g. insurance, maintenance. Some of your tax bill could be reduced if you opened a pension. Then when you do come to sell it as it is not your PPR you would have CGT. Depending on how much you have left on the mortgage I think I'd be tempted to sell and buy a nice place down in Tipp where you want to be. Having done a lot of rental income tax returns for people that only became landlords because of being in negative equity it seemed like more hassle than it was worth with some of them having truly awful experiences with some tenants.

My thoughts on Dublin, I lived there for a couple of years in my early/ mid 20s I did enjoy the night life and the vibrancy of the city. But over all I didn't really like it, I can't judge it badly though because I never gave it a proper chance, I went home/ to my bf's most weekends. I lived in Rathmines (shock horror such a culchie!!) Loved the barge on a warm sunny afternoon for after work pints. I enjoyed it at the time, but there is no way I'd like to live there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

The rhetoric of Dublin "never being the same as before" is hilarious. Its the capital city.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The one thing that Dublin has no shortage of is public parks...

• Advertisement

I'm Dublin born & bred for generations in my family, and have lived in south suburbs all my life, and very fortunately mortgage free. I can't visualise myself living without immediate access to a city, although I simply love taking breaks in rural Ireland. It's the sheer convenience of living in a city that I like, access to most people I know (when there's not a pandemic) and medical facilities, variety of retail, culture etc. Even though I'm not a party animal at all, I enjoy conviviality and being able to access places without driving, take a glass of wine etc and not having to especially worry about getting home. As I live alone, doing that in Dublin keeps me both independent and connected (when there's not a pandemic!).

Dublin has it all, at least in theory. On the sea, which I simply adore, the mountains to the south, major parks, good pubs. Access to the airport, as I love to pop abroad (when there's not a pandemic) and know I don't have to add maybe 2 more nights accommodation near the airport. The ferry is on hand for UK. The transport networks all span out from Dublin and I can literally go to so many places as I choose by public transport as well as car. I can fly to Donegal, step out of the terminal and walk onto a white beach, a real favourite thing I like to do sometimes.

The downside. As everyone says, it's the antisocial vermin which, and I say this a bit tongue-in-cheek, seem to be multiplying over the decades in spite of access to contraception. :pac: yes every city has some of these, but, having travelled widely, I have never seen a city centre so full of them as Dublin. I dread venturing around the city centre, especially north centre area, at any time, but especially in the hours when these are particularly active. There's a feeling of menace in the air, and I just wanna get out of it ASAP.

I'll take Riga as a comparison. I was there on Midsummer Night, free drink and food provided, can one imagine that in Dublin? Even the "scrotes" there take care to use bins etc. By a cafe in a city centre park were beautiful little pedal cars all lined up for children to use as parents would drink coffee or enjoy a beer. The parents would ensure those cars were returned exactly from where they had been taken, in Dublin they would be just taken and never seen again.

So, as a Dub I could never see myself living anywhere outside, except maybe Cork or Galway, but I wouldn't blame anybody for wanting to move as far from Dublin as possible with the way the city is, and especially with a mortgage. Other than being a work hub, I couldn't really see the attraction in it.

The anti-social thing is an Irish thing though, it's not unique to people on welfare living in the city centre. St Anne's park near me is strewn with rubbish any time there's a nice day, and this isn't just from teenagers, the other day on the Clontarf side, people left an entire table and chairs and empty bottles of prosecco and cakes just in the middle of a football pitch, like some yummy mummy party gone wrong and quickly abandoned.
    In what other country do riots break out on beaches when there's nice weather? UK maybe.
    The lack of civic pride countrywide lets us down, the illegal dumping and environmental vandalism, the illegal parking on every single street in the country...
    I'm hoping we might just improve as citizens in the years coming, with being wealthier and better social services available, here's hoping.

The anti-social thing is an Irish thing though, it's not unique to people on welfare living in the city centre. ............

They certainly are more inclined to indulge in the anti-social thing, to think otherwise is total delusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

If you think anti-social behavior in Dublin can be fixed with better social services, you're sorely mistaken.

The better the quality of services, the greater the demand.

The more you reward poor behavior, by tacitly tolerating littering, public intoxication, drug use/ dealing/ public drinking / general scrote degeneracy*...the more of this behavior you will get.

*( I would personally include wearing Penney's tracksuits onto the list of anti-social activities :pac: )

Zero tolerance is the only approach that works. On the spot fines issued by wireless handheld devices, linked to PPS numbers, for all behaviors mentioned above. Implemented by Guards regularly on the city center beat, backed up by public order units.

It's laughable some reckon anyone mentioning scrotes in Dublin are referring to h heads, h heads are the least of the issue :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Biker79 wrote: »
    Zero tolerance is the only approach that works. On the spot fines issued by wireless handheld devices, linked to PPS numbers, for all behaviors mentioned above. Implemented by Guards regularly on the city center beat, backed up by public order units.
    Just having some Gardai around makes a difference. Surprising how many people disappear from Liffey Street when place is actually patrolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Entertaining to see people complain about scrotes in Dublin. They'll looooove Paris with its calm outskirts, low crime, hands - off "Street performers", and welcoming, non judgemental citizens offering an effervescent welcome wherever you go.

You can like Dublin whilst being aware it's full of scrotes. Most of them aren't h heads and are housed locally. Don't really see what Paris has to do with that.

You can also realise there are lots of scrotes about whilst not being afraid of them, FYI

Entertaining to see people complain about scrotes in Dublin. They'll looooove Paris with its calm outskirts, low crime, hands - off "Street performers", and welcoming, non judgemental citizens offering an effervescent welcome wherever you go.

Indeed. The suburban youths in Paris make our local scrotes look like alter boys.

We were in Paris a few years ago. I was strong armed into going to Saint Denis to see the basilica where Louis the fourteenth and Marie Antoinette are buried in the crypt.

Now that’s an area I never want to visit again. Dublin’s hellholes look positively salubrious by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Maybe Dublin and Paris could start a scrote exchange program.

We could do with some well groomed, if slightly uppity, degenerates.

I'm sure Parisians would find our clowns fascinating and entertaining. At least for a while.

Advertisement