Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dublin for good

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

mgn wrote: »
    I lived in your lovely country in the 80s and 90s, I hope you were treated better by the country people that your country treated the Irish back then.

I was in the UK in the 80s and 90s, not quite a city but not rural, seemed fine... but comparing 80s UK to Ireland 2015 is just silly.

Now maybe 50s UK to rural Ireland 2020... that's more like it....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Christ, there's more to life than pubs. It's up to you to discover new activities.

Also true. And it's a lot easier to do abroad and I've tired to do it both in Dublin and abroad.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Also true. And it's a lot easier to do abroad and I've tired to do it both in Dublin and abroad.

There's tonnes of activities in Dublin, you only need to check meetup.com to see that. There's no excuse for lacking things to do in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I'm sure I'm not missed! But you might enlighten me to where I am wrong.

As I say, live and let live - it might not be for me, but others are happy I'm sure and good luck to them!

The way Dublin has being going in recent years I certainly wouldn't like to be living there in 10/15 years time, but I sure you will be fine as you dislike the country as much as you do.

I'm sure the elite of the country's finest TDs Boy Barrett, Gino, Brid Smith. and Paul Murphy will appreciate you vote also.

There's tonnes of activities in Dublin, you only need to check meetup.com to see that. There's no excuse for lacking things to do in Dublin.

That exists everywhere.

Also, I left Dublin before it existed.

• Advertisement

I lived in your lovely country in the 80s and 90s, I hope you were treated better by the country people that your country treated the Irish back then.

This is gas! I lived in England in the 80s, my family still live there, no one was ever treated badly by the British because of their nationality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭bullpost

ellee wrote: »
    True and not all bits of the Dublin coast that are close are attractive anyway. As a non Dub I have to say Sandymount Strand is wildly overrated imo! A beach is definitely something the Atlantic coast does better!

Along with wind and rain :D

That exists everywhere.

Also, I left Dublin before it existed.

Ok, so your dislike of Dublin's supposed lack of variety was driven by your inability to find activities that existed before meetup merged it into one website.

It's either that, or nonsense such as saying there were no mountaineering, rock climbing, theatre, mountain biking, etc groups in Dublin. Which is bollocks because I clearly remember seeing and attending such groups on this very website.

Let's face it, your life revolved so heavily around the pub when you were younger that you were never arsed to find other activities. Your perceived lack of variety in Dublin is restricted solely to pubs.

Your whole point is nonsense.

I was in the UK in the 80s and 90s, not quite a city but not rural, seemed fine... but comparing 80s UK to Ireland 2015 is just silly.

Now maybe 50s UK to rural Ireland 2020... that's more like it....

I'm not comparing country's, I'm on about the people.
    It was fine for you because your English, the Irish were treated like dirt back then.

bubblypop wrote: »
    This is gas! I lived in England in the 80s, my family still live there, no one was ever treated badly by the British because of their nationality

Bulls*it, You never seen the newspaper headlines, '' Irish Scum'' did you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I'm not comparing country's, I'm on about the people.
    It was fine for you because your English, the Irish were treated like dirt back then.

Nope not English.... And the way your lovely rural people acted towards me... is piss poor and pathetic, I'll not argue about this I had my experience and sharing it.

Bulls*it, You never seen the newspaper headlines, '' Irish Scum'' did you.

No, I did hear they existed but no member of my family, or the wider Irish community was treated badly because they were Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TobyHolmes

the weather... the weather is a great excuse

Ok, so your dislike of Dublin's supposed lack of variety was driven by your inability to find activities that existed before meetup merged it into one website.

It's either that, or nonsense such as saying there were no mountaineering, rock climbing, theatre, mountain biking, etc groups in Dublin. Which is bollocks because I clearly remember seeing and attending such groups on this very website.

Let's face it, your life revolved so heavily around the pub when you were younger that you were never arsed to find other activities. Your perceived lack of variety in Dublin is restricted solely to pubs.

this is a forum regarding leaving dublin
    so you are on this forum and then get angry about someone saying they dont like dublin or the activities that are available in dublin
    ok

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    the weather... the weather is a great excuse

Yeah sure, if you're scared of a little rain then outdoors activities aren't for you!

They should stick to the poor variety pubs! :D

Nope not English.... And the way your lovely rural people acted towards me... is piss poor and pathetic, I'll not argue about this I had my experience and sharing it.

quote from you -- I agree with everything you have said, I wasted 10 years rurally (try doing it when you're British and not Irish, makes it even more fun)

You said you were so make up your mind.

this is a forum regarding leaving dublin
    so you are on this forum and then get angry about someone saying they dont like dublin or the activities that are available in dublin
    ok

This is a thread, the forum is about Dublin City.

I'm not angry, just stating facts.

I'm pointing out that activities existed when they're claiming they were either non existent or too hard to find.

If you don't like what I'm saying, there's always the ignore button.

Cheers.

This is a thread, the forum is about Dublin City.

I'm not angry, just stating facts.

I'm pointing out that activities existed when they're claiming they were either non existent or too hard to find.

If you don't like what I'm saying, there's always the ignore button.

Cheers.

ok cool. sorry not trying to argue.
    the actual thread though is about leaving Dublin - I was just thinking its ironic that people are getting mad for people leaving. haha.

anyway enjoy.

No, I did hear they existed but no member of my family, or the wider Irish community was treated badly because they were Irish.

Bulls*it, end of story.

ok cool. sorry not trying to argue.
    the actual thread though is about leaving Dublin - I was just thinking its ironic that people are getting mad for people leaving. haha.

anyway enjoy.

I think the thread went off road many pages ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The way Dublin has being going in recent years I certainly wouldn't like to be living there in 10/15 years time, but I sure you will be fine as you dislike the country as much as you do.

I'm sure the elite of the country's finest TDs Boy Barrett, Gino, Brid Smith. and Paul Murphy will appreciate you vote also.

I'm sure I will. Don't bet on your GAA-loving countryside being the same in 15 years though - every small town in the country has similar problems to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Hamachi

ellee wrote: »
    I'm surprised you've no park at all within 5km in Dublin. Are you in one of those new developed areas off the M50? New developments can be shockingly badly serviced. But then the schools should be ok. Bad schools AND no parks/recreation seems v v unlucky :(

Just to pick up on this point. I’m exaggerating when I say there are no parks within 5Kms. There are green areas in the estate and some playing pitches. However, we don’t have access to anything like the Phoenix park or St Anne’s park in Raheny.

We’re in West Dublin outside the M50. Let’s just say I live within 0.25 miles of where a recent, high profile incident occurred, in which the Gardai were forced to intervene with utmost force, against an allegedly mentally ill man. The schools around here are shocking. A huge amount of resources are spent providing support to specific cohorts of children.

As another poster said, we probably made a fundamental error of buying in the wrong area. I see colleagues bringing up their kids in lovely areas like Malahide, Skerries, Greystones etc.. and I can’t help but compare with my locality. My kids aren’t of school-going age yet thankfully, but there’s no way I’d compromise their education by sending them to local schools. We’ll be long gone from here before then.

Anyway, TLDR: Dublin is fantastic if you live in the right area. It’s not so terrific in the wrong neighborhood and those issues are further magnified if you want to give your kids a great start in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm sure I will. Don't bet on your GAA-loving countryside being the same in 15 years though - every small town in the country has similar problems to Dublin.

Worse. You can avoid the auld morons, scrotes and coked up hardy bucks in Dublin or any other city but try do it in a 1 or 2 pub town

Bulls*it, end of story.

Are you suggesting that I am lying?
    I can assure you it is not bull****

Also people to do them with.
    There were a few and I joined a few, but again - I found them boring. Mostly because the people in them STILL seeme to be bar-orientated.

And you're basing that on what exacrtly? Do we know each other...?
    How do you know? I mean, you've never once asked what I like to do or what inspires me. You've just thrown random ideas at me in the hope that something sticks.

IN short, you've rather blindly and conservatively told me what routine activities I SHOULD like to do because it's wtat you think EVERYONE likes to do.

And that is a perfect example of the limitations I'm talking about: your attitude is "see what Dublin has and pick; rather than pick what you want to do and what inspires you then go where it's possible.

Now I totally accept the point that Dublin has probably changed since I left - I've been back a few times - but it still seems that everything revolves around ballgames, formulaic pubs and nightclubs and frankly I have no desire to see what - if anything - lies beneath. Why would I?

The problem in a nutshell is that you can't accept that someone has a negative view of Dublin and manage to confirm and validate it by making a life abroad.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Mod

Folks, everyone take a deep breath and calm down. Tone done the aggressiveness and get back on topic.

Failing that, thread will be locked.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I agree with everything you have said, I wasted 10 years rurally (try doing it when you're British and not Irish, makes it even more fun).

Rural areas are just generally more insular. I don’t think it matters if it’s Ireland, the UK or wherever. People tend to have deep roots in those areas and are generally more suspicious of outsiders.

I’ve experienced this myself living on the continent. Some of the locals were borderline hostile at first. They only started to thaw a little when your face becomes known.

Also people to do them with.

There were a few and I joined a few, but again - I found them boring. Mostly because the people in them STILL seeme to be bar-orientated.

And you're basing that on what exacrtly? Do we know each other...?

How do you know? I mean, you've never once asked what I like to do or what inspires me. You've just thrown random ideas at me in the hope that something sticks.

IN short, you've rather blindly and conservatively told me what routine activities I SHOULD like to do because it's wtat you think EVERYONE likes to do.

And that is a perfect example of the limitations I'm talking about: your attitude is "see what Dublin has and pick; rather than pick what you want to do and what inspires you then go where it's possible.

Now I totally accept the point that Dublin has probably changed since I left - I've been back a few times - but it still seems that everything revolves around ballgames, formulaic pubs and nightclubs and frankly I have no desire to see what - if anything - lies beneath. Why would I?

The problem in a nutshell is that you can't accept that someone has a negative view of Dublin and manage to confirm and validate it by making a life abroad.

I've no idea what you're talking about. I don't think you're following what I'm saying at all.

I hope you found the perfect city to live in now.

Are you suggesting that I am lying?
    I can assure you it is not bull****

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/anti-irish-sentiment-in-britain-i-feel-like-i-am-back-in-the-1980s-1.3992131

How long were you there ,a day maybe two.

• Advertisement

I've no idea what you're talking about. I don't think you're following what I'm saying at all.

I hope you found the perfect city to live in now.

You're saying I didn't make enough of an effort when I was in Dublin, my point being you can't say that when you don't know what I like.

And yes, I did thanks :)

Advertisement