Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dublin for good

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭dubrov

Biker79 wrote:
    Maybe Dublin and Paris could start a scrote exchange program.

The French authorities would bite our arm off if such a deal was offered

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

PommieBast wrote: »
    Just having some Gardai around makes a difference. Surprising how many people disappear from Liffey Street when place is actually patrolled.

Lack of gardai is cause of a lot of the problems in Dublin. Anti social behaviour only exists because its allowed to exist.
    Thought the Drew Harris would actually make some sweeping changes when he came in that would result in a properly policed city centre, but not so. Dont know whether its a union thing or the culture within the organisation
    Am sick of hearing about lack of resources for the last 20 years. Gardai Siochana - protectors of the peace. The clue is in the title. Not fit for purpose and unwilling/unable to do their actual job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

I agree that regular Garda presence makes a difference.

It has been sporadic in the city centre over the past year. But when its there its effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭mvt

Don't think it's the individual guards fault, would think they get pretty quickly disillusioned with the way the system works.

Not quite sure why but it seems to me, at times, that the system is set up to fail the people who pay for it.

Without getting too deep into it on a nice su nday morning I think a lot of the issues stem from a weak state that was set up after independence & too many vested interests having a say .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

raven41 wrote: »
    Not fit for purpose and unwilling/unable to do their actual job.

I would say unable in a lot of places. You often see videos surfacing of crowds of local scum shouting abuse at a couple of Gardai trying to deal with a situation. The areas themselves do not seem to want the Gardai there and become tight lipped when information is required. These are the close knit salt of the earth 99% that we are always told about.
    If the Garda does manage to arrest someone and make a charge stick the guy is back out doing the same thing before the Garda has the paperwork filed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Biker79 wrote: »
    Maybe Dublin and Paris could start a scrote exchange program.

We could so with well groomed, if slightly uppity, degenerates.

I'm sure Parisians would find our clowns fascinating and entertaining. At least for a while.

Great idea! It would be like an Erasmus year for undesirables.

Our local scrotes would be culturally enriched by spending some time in the banlieue. I'm sure the French racaille would greatly benefit from an extended stay in Ongar or Balbriggan.

Better still, let's have the tax payer finance this cultural exchange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Hamachi wrote: »
    Great idea! It would be like an Erasmus year for undesirables.

Our local scrotes would be culturally enriched by spending some time in the banlieue. I'm sure the French racaille would greatly benefit from an extended stay in Ongar or Balbriggan.

Better still, let's have the tax payer finance this cultural exchange!

Better still, they could finance themselves by making a rap album. Lyrics about tough urban living, the taxpayer funded ghetto life. Regular new sportswear, free housing with ample change for Linden Village and drugs. ( Parisian scrotes may prefer wine ).

Songs that champion doing their bit by keeping the Scrote Industrial Complex ticking along nicely, whilst claiming victimhood for getting dirt on their Nikes.

They could call it ' Handy number/ Un numéro pratique '

Could be a chart topper!

Biker79 wrote: »
    Better still, they could finance themselves by making a rap album. Lyrics about tough urban living, the taxpayer funded ghetto life. Regular new sportswear, free housing with ample change for Linden Village and drugs. ( Parisian scrotes may prefer wine ).

Songs that champion doing their bit by keeping the Scrote Industrial Complex ticking along nicely, whilst claiming victimhood for getting dirt on their Nikes.

They could call it ' Handy number/ Un numéro pratique '

Could be a chart topper!

Splendid.

I was thinking their album could be called ‘La belle et la bad boy’. It has quite the ring to it, but I think it might already be taken!

I’m sure celebrity endorsements would be forthcoming from uncle Roderic O’Gorman and auntie Ruth Copinger in Dublin West.

The only wrinkle is that Emmanuel Macron is likely to be devastated at losing some of his country’s most talented youth to emigration..

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

I moved from Dublin about 10 years ago and I would never live there again. I have family there and our head office is in town so I am there regularly enough to know that I hate it. Its not the Dublin I grew up in. I am a teen of the 90s, and 00s was my twenties. It was great then.

The city is all fur coat and no knickers. Its a kip full of junkies and scum bags. They are everywhere.
    The place has lost its soul and identity.

I will never go back to live there. Its further out I want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

raven41 wrote: »
    Lack of gardai is cause of a lot of the problems in Dublin. Anti social behaviour only exists because its allowed to exist.
    Thought the Drew Harris would actually make some sweeping changes when he came in that would result in a properly policed city centre, but not so. Dont know whether its a union thing or the culture within the organisation
    Am sick of hearing about lack of resources for the last 20 years. Gardai Siochana - protectors of the peace. The clue is in the title. Not fit for purpose and unwilling/unable to do their actual job.

Nobody has respect for the Irish Police.
    They are for the most part unfit and overweight. They are not trained appropriately and they are dressed like a bunch of characters from Noddy.

To police Dublin we need a serious rethink of the way policing approached. Discussion for another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

dubrov wrote: »
    The French authorities would bite our arm off if such a deal was offered

There is a reason the police in Paris are armed all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I moved from Dublin about 10 years ago and I would never live there again. I have family there and our head office is in town so I am there regularly enough to know that I hate it. Its not the Dublin I grew up in. I am a teen of the 90s, and 00s was my twenties. It was great then.

The place has lost its soul and identity.

Your argument is that Celtic Tiger Dublin was full of soul and character? Celtic Tiger Dublin was awash with mindless materialistic coke addled goons in their twenties swamping the streets every weekend in a vomit-filled wasteland where you couldn't even get a taxi between the hours of 12 and 4am, transport was that bad.

Your glorious Dublin was derided as a soulless hellhole by the generation before you. The generation before them had Brendan Behan propping up the bar and would have been less than impressed by the quality of conversation on offer by the new wave romantics of the 80's.

Now you're doing the same. It's called "getting old".

To be fair, part of that is just looking back and romanticizing your teens and twenties. It’s a golden time, when you’re young and carefree.

There were just as many undesirables in Dublin in the 00’s as there are today. You just didn’t notice them as you were having a great time. It’s only when you get a bit older and have kids yourself, that you really see the detrimental impact these people have on society.

I do agree with you on Dublin becoming increasingly characterless though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭PommieBast

To be fair, part of that is just looking back and romanticizing your teens and twenties. It’s a golden time, when you’re young and carefree.
    Things go in cycles. I arrived in Dublin in 2013 which was pretty much the bottoming-out of the crash, and remember the signs and feel of austerity. Looking back the next few years were great as Dublin was a growing city, but inflation had yet to kick in. Did very well out of rent control...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I don't think it's a kip at all. When 'all this' is over, I'm looking forward to being able to ramble around the city centre on a sunny day, buy a book in Hodges Figgis, read it on a bench for a few hours in Stephen's Green with a coffee and a croissant, maybe hop on a 46A down to the Azoo to see the relatives, then walk back to the city centre along the north quays. Not once have I ever felt even remotely threatened or unsafe in Dublin. Absolutely love the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Indeed. The suburban youths in Paris make our local scrotes look like alter boys.

We were in Paris a few years ago. I was strong armed into going to Saint Denis to see the basilica where Louis the fourteenth and Marie Antoinette are buried in the crypt.

Now that’s an area I never want to visit again. Dublin’s hellholes look positively salubrious by comparison.

As anti social as they are, I've always sensed a 'putting it on thick' aspect to Jackeen scroates in terms of their arrogance and aggression, they'd be sorted out sharpish in a city like Glasgow or Liverpool, even up the road where that s**thouse Lawlor met his comeuppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

mvt wrote: »
    Don't think it's the individual guards fault, would think they get pretty quickly disillusioned with the way the system works.

Not quite sure why but it seems to me, at times, that the system is set up to fail the people who pay for it.

Without getting too deep into it on a nice su nday morning I think a lot of the issues stem from a weak state that was set up after independence & too many vested interests having a say .

Gardai are great at shooting fish in a barrel type stuff but really wanting to take any interest in actual crimes that involve them putting in anything in the way of legwork when it’s to help an ordinary citizen as opposed to a business venture / vested interest, good luck... you might get a decent one who recognizes the need to do their job for every citizen but it’s a lottery from my experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Every major city has its scumbags, in fact many of the smaller places too can be rough.

Dublin ain't exclusive in having scum.

I've had a few hairy things happen to me in big cities, but nothing in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Originally from the South East but living in Dublin the past 11 years. I lived in the most expensive postcode in Ireland until 4 years ago. Loved it. But then I was single and child free. Once kids came along, i moved out to one of the more well off south Dublin suburbs. And hated it. Rent was ridiculous. We were paying over €2500 for an old house. Sitting in traffic to get anywhere was a nightmare. Even during lockdown. The “beauty” spots like Marlay Park were always packed and a nightmare to get parking. People were not very friendly. Trying to get childcare was a joke. The cost of childcare was a joke. Overall Dublin is not family friendly. And unless you are very wealthy (I earn well above the average but still felt the pinch every month), I don’t think the quality of life is great.
    I moved home late last year and never looked back. The quality of life is so much better. There are so many beauty spots within my 5km, but maybe I am lucky as from a particularly nice part of the country. But I certainly do not miss Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Originally from the South East but living in Dublin the past 11 years. I lived in the most expensive postcode in Ireland until 4 years ago. Loved it. But then I was single and child free. Once kids came along, i moved out to one of the more well off south Dublin suburbs. And hated it. Rent was ridiculous. We were paying over €2500 for an old house. Sitting in traffic to get anywhere was a nightmare. Even during lockdown. The “beauty” spots like Marlay Park were always packed and a nightmare to get parking. People were not very friendly. Trying to get childcare was a joke. The cost of childcare was a joke. Overall Dublin is not family friendly. And unless you are very wealthy (I earn well above the average but still felt the pinch every month), I don’t think the quality of life is great.
    I moved home late last year and never looked back. The quality of life is so much better. There are so many beauty spots within my 5km, but maybe I am lucky as from a particularly nice part of the country. But I certainly do not miss Dublin.

Your mistake was moving to South County Dublin

You should have looked to North County Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Exactly. You move to one of the most expensive parts of the city and then complain about cost :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

Don't know how to even start fixing the scrote issue theres just too many of them, id just give up and build a city center somewhere else (rename it oldtown) , not sure why all those tech and finance companies locate in the city center, transport i guess.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

As a North County Dub, I'd be only too delighted if people moved back out of the city. The country needs re-distribution of people and businesses badly (not the civil service type). No reason why Cork and Limerick and/or Galway can't become bigger and more business move there. It makes no sense to have everyone crowded into the east coast.

Also (as a Dub), it is pretty crap in it's own way to not be able to afford to live near your parents or live where you grow up. A lot of people (as this thread shows) who move to Dublin seem to always have the option of moving "back home" for much less money, and often building. It's not an option available to most Dubs, and I have to pay the same high prices as everyone else just to live near my family way out in the suburbs. Not that many people actually live in the city as it's being described here, they live further out, which has done a lot of damage to the city centre.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The anti-social thing is an Irish thing though, it's not unique to people on welfare living in the city centre. St Anne's park near me is strewn with rubbish any time there's a nice day, and this isn't just from teenagers, the other day on the Clontarf side, people left an entire table and chairs and empty bottles of prosecco and cakes just in the middle of a football pitch, like some yummy mummy party gone wrong and quickly abandoned.
    In what other country do riots break out on beaches when there's nice weather? UK maybe.
    The lack of civic pride countrywide lets us down, the illegal dumping and environmental vandalism, the illegal parking on every single street in the country...
    I'm hoping we might just improve as citizens in the years coming, with being wealthier and better social services available, here's hoping.

We are not as socially advanced as Europe basically. It will take another few generations before we get there I reckon.

dd973 wrote: »
    As anti social as they are, I've always sensed a 'putting it on thick' aspect to Jackeen scroates in terms of their arrogance and aggression, they'd be sorted out sharpish in a city like Glasgow or Liverpool, even up the road where that s**thouse Lawlor met his comeuppance.

Most definitely, folk pointing out the amount of these anti-social scrotes aren't at all suggesting they are dangerous. But you'd not really want your children to be sharing a class room with loads of their offspring either.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tropple

I've remained in Dublin for more or less the entire lockdown, and there are very clearly more young people (twenties and early thirties) in the city now than during the previous lockdowns.

Many of those who moved out of the city simply got bored - even in lockdown, Dublin has much more to offer young adults than the rest of the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

unless you are a drinker, there isnt much to do in dublin, the entire city could probably be seen over 2 days

Dublin doesn't lack variety, your imagination does.

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

startrek56 wrote: »
    unless you are a drinker, there isnt much to do in dublin, the entire city could probably be seen over 2 days

There's loads to do, more than anywhere in Ireland.

• Advertisement

startrek56 wrote: »

This post does not even make any sense. You're seriously trying to say that nothing else happens in a whole city? No clubs, groups, cinemas, theatres, stadiums, beaches, parks, colleges? You are saying Dublin has none of these?

What are you looking for that you couldn't find exactly? :pac:
    I assume you are taking the peas

Advertisement