Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dublin for good

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Hamachi

YoshiSays wrote: »
    Really there is a world of difference between what a single guy/girl wants/needs vs what a family wants/needs.

This.

Dublin is fantastic when you’re young and single. It’s not so tremendous when you’re trying to bring up two or three young kids.

My family is fortunate in the sense that both my wife and I have well paying careers. However, even with that, we live in an area in which I have zero intention of sending my kids to the local schools. Personally, I’m not a fan of smaller towns or rural areas, but it looks like we have no choice but to relocate from Dublin, in order to secure a quality education for our children.

The people in this thread shouting moronically that Dublin is a dump are clearly ill informed and understand very little about the city. Equally, some of the single contributors have little understanding of the significant difficulties in trying to give young kids a good upbringing in the city today.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

YoshiSays wrote: »
    OK - so assuming you didn't get a cheap house off Mammy or the council.
    Or won the crypto/IT/... job lottery ...
    Or have been living in Dublin since the 80s/90s ... and your mortgage is paid:

Reasons to live in greater Dublin vs rest of republic, circa January 2019:
    - best hospitals/medical care/doctors/consultants
    - best 3rd level opportunities
    - best jobs opportunities, work experience
    - best restaurants, nightlife, clubs, theatres, cultural, hookup, ... variety/opportunities
    - best public transport

Reasons to go:
    - highest rents/mortgages, poor quality/sized accommodation
    - longest commutes
    - worst air quality, traffic, noise
    - bad neighbourhoods
    - competition for schools, creches, ...
    - I'm sorted Dubs saying how great Dublin is :)

Really there is a world of difference between what a single guy/girl wants/needs vs what a family wants/needs.

You put 'crypto' in like that is a common outcome. It's definitely not..

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bridest

I moved to back to Dublin in 2015 and initially liked it again for the first 2 years. But it has become depressing. Moved 5 times in rented accommodation between 2017 and 2020 and couldn't get out of the place fast enough when covid hit. Was paying €1650 for a p1@€ poor 2 bed flat in Drumcondra. Sublet the other room. Had to kick one guy out. A glat bag who actually did not know how to wipe his on hole or flush the toilet! Lived in shared places with some real headbangers.
    Was walking 2 hours a day to and from work over to the southside because it was faster than getting the bus! Approached Paschal Donoghue about it one morning he was out canvassing. His answer was young people love it. He didn't give a....
    When the rona hit was lucky to have an empty family home to come back to in the country.
    I'll have to go back eventually as my job can't be done full time remotely. But I think it's time to be looking for a new job away from Dublin. I cannot stomach the thoughts of paying stupid high rent price for rubbish plus the other costs

Are you in Cork city? Don't they have "scrotes" and high rent for the nice areas?

Scrotes are in small enough pockets. They'd be less scrotey than the Dublin variety also. Proportionately less of them also. Horses in housing estates quite unusual also... Parts of Dublin it's common.
    Kids on scramblers etc practically unheard of... The level of Cork scotes isn't at all proportionate to Dublin.
    Like, we don't have rappers from the equivalent of Ringsend sh1tting on about selling brown etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No thanks. I pay plenty already.

At which point, you give up the right to complain about scrotes. .

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hamachi wrote: »
    The people in this thread shouting moronically that Dublin is a dump are clearly ill informed and understand very little about the city. Equally, some of the single contributors have little understanding of the significant difficulties in trying to give young kids a good upbringing in the city today.

I have 2 young kids. They are going to a great school. Wasn't our first choice but it has worked out for the best. Small class with a great group of kids.
    There is so much to do for kids within a short distance of our house. On a weekly basis (in normal times) they do drama, dancing, singing, swimming, running, GAA classes. There are also classes for any instrument you can think of, any martial art you can think of, tennis, chess, soccer. They are just off the top of my muddled head at 5.50 am. As I said earlier there are huge open spaces, beaches, lots of other kids within walking distance. I could go on. I am not in a wealthy area either but it is a great place to bring up kids.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I have 2 young kids. They are going to a great school. Wasn't our first choice but it has worked out for the best. Small class with a great group of kids.
    There is so much to do for kids within a short distance of our house. On a weekly basis (in normal times) they do drama, dancing, singing, swimming, running, GAA classes. There are also classes for any instrument you can think of, any martial art you can think of, tennis, chess, soccer. They are just off the top of my muddled head at 5.50 am. As I said earlier there are huge open spaces, beaches, lots of other kids within walking distance. I could go on. I am not in a wealthy area either but it is a great place to bring up kids.

That’s fine for you if you’ve landed on your feet in terms of area. For many others, that’s simply not the case. There are no beaches, parks, or huge open spaces within our 5km radius. Many of my neighbors have withdrawn their kids from the local schools, due to the dire quality of the education on offer, instead opting for either a gaelscoil or a superior school further out in the commuter belt.

I’m happy that you’ve landed on your feet, but I can assure you that’s not the case for many young parents. My main bugbear is education. It’s a massive priority for my family. I wouldn’t even countenance using the local schools. Like I said, it’s very much area-dependent. If you have the financial means or get lucky, Dublin can be terrific. Otherwise, it’s not a good place for rearing children.

At which point, you give up the right to complain about scrotes. .

Brain-dead logic. I'm willing to pay for social services, just not those who abuse it. This is common sense and not difficult to understand.

I'll complain about parasitic scum all I like. Nothing you can do to stop me.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Lot of trolls on this thread.

Reality is you would not like a society where people were left unsupported. It would have very negative impact on neighborhoods, streets, crime, begging, schools, child outcomes, health, prostitution, drugs, worker rights etc.

Further reality is most people depending on supports have genuine need of them and are decent people.

Nor do we want a society where the State can decide some people are "deserving" and some people are not.

Finally, you never know when you might need State support yourself. Bad times can happen to everyone. And pretty quickly too.

Hamachi wrote: »
    That’s fine for you if you’ve landed on your feet in terms of area. For many others, that’s simply not the case. There are no beaches, parks, or huge open spaces within our 5km radius. Many of my neighbors have withdrawn their kids from the local schools, due to the dire quality of the education on offer, instead opting for either a gaelscoil or a superior school further out in the commuter belt.

I’m happy that you’ve landed on your feet, but I can assure you that’s not the case for many young parents. My main bugbear is education. It’s a massive priority for my family. I wouldn’t even countenance using the local schools. Like I said, it’s very much area-dependent. If you have the financial means or get lucky, Dublin can be terrific. Otherwise, it’s not a good place for rearing children.

Can I just point out you'll have far less choice education wise in a country town. When I was growing up my brother ended up going to a secondary school over 20km away as the local boys' schools were so bad.

In the "good" girls' school, if you wanted to do honours maths, chemistry or physics you had to go up to the local zoo of a boys school.

I'm surprised you've no park at all within 5km in Dublin. Are you in one of those new developed areas off the M50? New developments can be shockingly badly serviced. But then the schools should be ok. Bad schools AND no parks/recreation seems v v unlucky :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think there is anywhere in urban Dublin without a park within 5km?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

And nearly everyone in the city is 5km or less from the coast too

Lot of disingenuous people on here trying to equate people in genuine need of assistance with those who only seek to take advantage of the system in order to avoid personal responsibility, work, etc.

Such sneaky tactics are not new and don't go unnoticed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

ellee wrote: »
    I'm surprised you've no park at all within 5km in Dublin. Are you in one of those new developed areas off the M50? New developments can be shockingly badly serviced. But then the schools should be ok. Bad schools AND no parks/recreation seems v v unlucky :(

Exactly. Looking at a map of Dublin here and it is hard to find a place with zero parks within 5k radius. I think the poster just chose a bad area to live in tbh. Even the worst estates near me have public parks (which is something DCC do very well to be fair to them). Schools? Supply is an issue especially if you are not in the catchment area. We had a preference for ETNS but it was way over subscribed but for a different school around 3km away which is fine. I pass 2 other schools on my way to that one which would also have been acceptable to us (but were also oversubscribed).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Thread is TLDR but I like Dublin. Have no intention of leaving.
    I grew up in rural Ireland but have no desire to go back to the nosiness and uneducated nonsense that prevails in rural Ireland.

People who think the GAA is the only social outlet to be explored
    People who begrudge success and ambition. If you drove in to a GAA pitch with a nice car, you'd be judged as "showing off" or "look at him with his money".
    People who wonder how much somebody sold a house for, or sold a site for, or paid for a site.
    People who blame everything on "those up in Dublin" as though everything should be designed to accommodate the lowest common denominator, i.e. their own ineptitude.
    People who crave gossip, the more salacious the better. If it is about somebody who had notions, even better. Because their own lives are so devoid of interest or life that the next best thing is to get some gossip about somebody.
    People who think if you don't contribute to "parish events" you are some form of pariah and should be treated as such.
    People who think if you aren't born there you aren't "one of them" and never will be.
    People whose intelligence levels result in them voting for Healy-Rae's, Matty McGrath, Mick Wallace, Ming Flanagan.

I could go on.

I'm sure I'll get a load of "that isn't how it is". Yes it is and I know this because I still have lots of family and friends who live there. I love the fact that I've access to almost every service and activity I want within my 5km, I say a good morning to my neighbours but I don't spend my life wondering how much they'll make on the house if they sold it, how the proceeds would be divided up as part of an inheritance, and so on. I have access to a wide array of choices for my kids to go to school, and the activities they want to be part of. They won't be judged if they don't want to line out for the parish.

I don't see very many scumbags around my area, and tend to ignore what I see in the city. I am within cycling distance of almost everything I could want in my life (except the airport) as well as my work place.

I love the life I have in a city and never want to move back to rural Ireland. Live and let live is my outlook and I don't miss anything about rural parts. If people are happy living there, good luck to them. Just not for me.

And nearly everyone in the city is 5km or less from the coast too

West Dublin is < 5 KMs from the coast?

That's news to the several hundred thousand residents of West Dublin.

True and not all bits of the Dublin coast that are close are attractive anyway. As a non Dub I have to say Sandymount Strand is wildly overrated imo! A beach is definitely something the Atlantic coast does better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Thread is TLDR but I like Dublin. Have no intention of leaving.
    I grew up in rural Ireland but have no desire to go back to the nosiness and uneducated nonsense that prevails in rural Ireland.

People who think the GAA is the only social outlet to be explored
    People who begrudge success and ambition. If you drove in to a GAA pitch with a nice car, you'd be judged as "showing off" or "look at him with his money".
    People who wonder how much somebody sold a house for, or sold a site for, or paid for a site.
    People who blame everything on "those up in Dublin" as though everything should be designed to accommodate the lowest common denominator, i.e. their own ineptitude.
    People who crave gossip, the more salacious the better. If it is about somebody who had notions, even better. Because their own lives are so devoid of interest or life that the next best thing is to get some gossip about somebody.
    People who think if you don't contribute to "parish events" you are some form of pariah and should be treated as such.
    People who think if you aren't born there you aren't "one of them" and never will be.
    People whose intelligence levels result in them voting for Healy-Rae's, Matty McGrath, Mick Wallace, Ming Flanagan.

I could go on.

I'm sure I'll get a load of "that isn't how it is". Yes it is and I know this because I still have lots of family and friends who live there. I love the fact that I've access to almost every service and activity I want within my 5km, I say a good morning to my neighbours but I don't spend my life wondering how much they'll make on the house if they sold it, how the proceeds would be divided up as part of an inheritance, and so on. I have access to a wide array of choices for my kids to go to school, and the activities they want to be part of. They won't be judged if they don't want to line out for the parish.

I don't see very many scumbags around my area, and tend to ignore what I see in the city. I am within cycling distance of almost everything I could want in my life (except the airport) as well as my work place.

I love the life I have in a city and never want to move back to rural Ireland. Live and let live is my outlook and I don't miss anything about rural parts. If people are happy living there, good luck to them. Just not for me.

With that attitude towards rural Ireland I'm sure you wont be missed,

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Not everybody relishes a life of landlocked county, grass & small towns, the smell of sileage in the morning or the cliquey living of the country or GAA lifestyle. I know a few Dubs who moved to their OH’s and were never accepted or welcomed by their ‘communities’ and are living harrowing, lonely lives in big beautiful houses in the arsehole of nowhere that they can’t afford to hear, with nothing closeby and no amenities and are going slowly mad.

This is what happens when I visit my OH's hometown.

We currently live 20mins from the M50, but when the kids have been encouraged to move out (start college etc) we'll move to a smaller place either in the South West or overseas until retirement kicks in. Then I will most likely move overseas.

I grew up in Dublin. It was ok when you had mates and somewhere to go, but no reason to go there now.

mgn wrote: »

He is spot on in fairness

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    He is spot on in fairness

As someone who grew up in rural Ireland and lived in city's for over 30 years including Dublin for 15 years, I think I know a bit about both types of living, It can take a bit of adjusting to life in the country but with the right attitude the country can be a great place to live, the only regret I have about moving back is that I wish I done it sooner,

As someone who grew up in rural Ireland and lived in city's for over 30 years including Dublin for 15 years, I think I know a bit about both types of living, It can take a bit of adjusting to life in the country but with the right attitude the country can be a great place to live, the only regret I have about moving back is that I wish I done it sooner,

I grew up in rural Ireland too, have lived in Dublin and other cities too, for almost 30 years. I know a bit about both types of living as does that poster, I'd say he is spot on.
    Country living suits some people, doesn't mean it is better. Cities suit others
    Its a very personal choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

So tell me - without an ad homeinem - where are the trippy psychedelic bars, the heavy metal bars, the BDSM clubs, the 24-hour dive bars, the cult movie themed bars and the chemical bars in Dublin...?

A bit late on this, but you can count the number of cities that have all these things on the fingers of one hand, probably. Sure, Dublin doesn't have the same nightlife options as Berlin or Bangkok, but neither do 99% of the other cities in the world; it doesn't mean that they are ALL kips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

strandroad wrote: »
    Dublin outshines Lyon, Lisbon, Valencia, Amsterdam, Antwerp, Oslo, Copenhagen, Innsbruck, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Wroclaw, Krakow, Florence?...

The cities above have their bad parts as well as their good parts - just like Dublin.

Oslo - really expensive. Really boring - really bad pubs, awful cuisine. Beautiful people, but very, very reserved. Nice scenery.

Antwerp - really nice, but regularly in the top 5 most congested cities in the world, so not sure I would like to live there, necessarily.

Frankfurt - good job market, but very boring. Anyone I know who moved there was strictly for the money - stay there a few years, then get out as quick as they could.

Lisbon - lovely city, awful job market.

Valencia - no one moves there for work, as (i) there are no jobs, (ii) unless you spoke Spanish or Catalan, it could be quite lonely existence, as very few people speak English. Whereas, for a foreigner moving to Dublin, there would be lots of other young foreigners to become friends with.

timeToLive wrote: »

What is the point in living somewhere so densely populated where everyone acts like everyone else doesn't exist.:) if we're crotch to crotch on the luas you could at least say hello :P

While perhaps people in Dublin don't stop and chat as much as people in countryside, they certainly do a lot more than most other European capital cities.

Dublin is one of the best preserved Georgian cities you can visit.

I'm always a bit bemused when people go on about Dublin's Georgian architecture - the unremarkable commune of Belgium where I live in has more numerous, and nicer examples of townhouses than Dublin in it's entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think in 4 months every one will have the jab, i don,t think the 5k travel limit will be in force in 2 months.most people go to the local school,
    it,ll be probably be at least a school run under the catholic ethos.
    Most people cannot afford to go to a private school or pay school fees .
    i would think someone in dublin would have a wider range of schools than someone in mayo or kerry.
    i think many people would find living in a small rural town boring .
    you cannot judge dublin or any city by the present lockdown status.
    At some point all shops and pubs music venues will be open.
    i think its very narrowminded to state that every state school is awful or some kind of zoo.
    i think living in a city vs rural area,s has plus and minus,s .
    i think dublin is a great place to live if you have good friends and can
    afford the high rents or housing costs .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I'm sure I'm not missed! But you might enlighten me to where I am wrong.

As I say, live and let live - it might not be for me, but others are happy I'm sure and good luck to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I'm sure I'm not missed! But you might enlighten me to where I am wrong.

As I say, live and let live - it might not be for me, but others are happy I'm sure and good luck to them!

I agree with everything you have said, I wasted 10 years rurally (try doing it when you're British and not Irish, makes it even more fun)

I couldn't wait to get to Dublin, sold the house at a considerable loss to do so.

I agree with everything you have said, I wasted 10 years rurally (try doing it when you're British and not Irish, makes it even more fun)

I couldn't wait to get to Dublin, sold the house at a considerable loss to do so.

I lived in your lovely country in the 80s and 90s, I hope you were treated better by the country people that your country treated the Irish back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

El Tarangu wrote: »
    A bit late on this, but you can count the number of cities that have all these things on the fingers of one hand, probably. Sure, Dublin doesn't have the same nightlife options as Berlin or Bangkok, but neither do 99% of the other cities in the world; it doesn't mean that they are ALL kips.

I did say in a respone to this that I wasnt expecting ALL of them - I was just asked what I meant by "variety". I don't even like all of them - I was just using them as examples.

I've also stated I'm not one of those people who thinks Dublin is a kip. I just feel it lacks variety, hence the post; and I left because I honestly get bored with going to the same type of pub and watching sport and then to a nightclub with **** chart-based music every night.

It's a nice place for a week or two, but after that.... meh.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

I did say in a respone to this that I wasnt expecting ALL of them - I was just asked what I meant by "variety". I don't even like all of them - I was just using them as examples.

I've also stated I'm not one of those people who thinks Dublin is a kip. I just feel it lacks variety, hence the post; and I left because I honestly get bored with going to the same type of pub and watching sport and then to a nightclub with **** chart-based music every night.

It's a nice place for a week or two, but after that.... meh.

Christ, there's more to life than pubs. It's up to you to discover new activities.

Advertisement