Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭downtheroad

No game for McGrath. Why even have him on the bench if you don't trust him to play over 100 mins?

Healy, a great servant, but also not up to the task. Only put on during extra time.

Out half, huge problem. Just play Prendergast. If he was French he'd be starting in European matches. In Ireland we can only play him when he is 25/26 years old.

Munster fans....morons. Saw one wearing a Toulouse beret and I asked hik why he'd support a French team over an Irish team...he told me "it's in his DNA". Embarrassing for him and the rest of them showing up to London to cheer for a French team.

Mod warning.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭downtheroad

No game for McGrath. Why even have him on the bench if you don't trust him to play over 100 mins?

Healy, a great servant, but also not up to the task. Only put on during extra time.

Out half, huge problem. Just play Prendergast. If he was French he'd be starting in European matches. In Ireland we can only play him when he is 25/26 years old.

Munster fans....morons. Saw one wearing a Toulouse beret and I asked hik why he'd support a French team over an Irish team...he told me "it's in his DNA". Embarrassing for him and the rest of them showing up to London to cheer for a French team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Any "loan" concerning Sam P, needs to be nulled. Sam should play a part for whatever remaining matches Leinster have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Greengrass53

Maybe Nienaber meant 14 champions Cup games to bed in the system, 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

People saying that Leinster were wrong to not kick the points and keep going for tries because they kept getting repelled are forgetting the fact that Leinster did score 2 legitimate tries but were denied by the referee’s.
    Im sure someone will come on and say you should play the referee better and adjust your game. Nonsense, you can adjust for a ref’s interpretation but you can’t adjust for a ref getting the laws blatantly wrong or making obvious mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Greengrass53

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Not taking the points is something that irks me massively. It was evident from early on things weren't working. So why keep repeating it? "Trust the system" but the system isn't working?

Looking at the stats. Toulouse conceded 1 more penalty than Leinster but Leinster had 8 more lineouts than Toulouse. They also had far more possession too.

Leinster had an opportunity to pull a couple of points ahead with penalties and if they had done that, I think they start to break Toulouse down.

There seemed to be a lot of TV footage focus on the Leinster coaching team. These guys are incredible rugby players and I genuinely struggled to understand why they kept going to the corner. If it was the captain making that call, then the management team should step in and tell them to take 3 points on offer. If it was a directive from the management team to keep doing so then the blame lies with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭johnh6767

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭The Guru 123

Didn’t see yesterdays game and to be honest don’t watch much rugby but when I do I’m amazed at how often teams turn down 3 points in favour of what seems a very outside shot at 5/7. I struggle to think if you ran the numbers on these it would stack up to say you should be going to the corner as often as they do.

I read the report that said Leinster did this a few times yesterday. It seems crazy to me. What makes it worse is even if you miss the 3 points you’re basically guaranteed the ball back in the oppositions half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Joe touched the ball and it went (slightly) forward before JGP threw the pass. They’re the margins! Correct decision unfortunately.

What a game. One of the best I’ve been to. Toulouse well deserved winners. They were ahead all game and Leinster were always chasing. Kinghorn kicked like a dream and Dupont was unbelievable. Huge credit to Leinster who kept plugging away when the little margins weren’t going their way. Frawley so close to winning it at the end of the 80. Jaysus sport can be cruel but still a trophy there to be won this year so not as disappointing as last year.

Really impressed by the Tottenham stadium. Facilities were superb which is usually a big stumbling part for many stadiums where you have a queue for 15mins for a pee or a beer! Really enjoyable day despite coming out on the wrong side but onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The stadium was unreal. Really puts the Aviva and even Croker to shame with its facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster kept Toulouse tryless for 80 minutes. That's a major accomplishment that now seems pointless after failing to win.

The game was there to be won in regulation time rather than extra time too. We had 12 entries to their 22 in the first half alone, but only came away with 6 points. We turned down at least two shots at the posts in that half from what I remember.

This loss will hurt for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭A-Train

A long day of travel yesterday with my 9 year old and 74 year old father, a great day over there bar the result.

Once again a match of fine balances that Leinster have come out the wrong side of. Just once I would love for that balance to tip our way.

I can’t see how they get themselves up for the remainder of the season. I said it at full time that they look so blunt and clueless at this moment in time.

Such is sport but I think that this generation of players are really heading into the nearly men category, good but can’t get the job done when pressure comes on. Whether that is down to the players, the coaching or the systems is a different story but it’s mostly a combination of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭Xander10

This loss feels the worst of the lot, because it felt self-inflicted.

The pundits were calling it a one score game, the bookies had the handicap -1 pt. And then you finish level after 80 mins but look back and one team chose to turn down at least two kickable penalties.

On a more trivial note, maybe it's time to consider amending the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Right from the start of his appointment I was puzzled by this move. Reflect on the last time Ireland played South Africa. That Irish team, mainly composed of Leinster players and who play very much in the vein of Leinster under Lancaster , won a tight game and rarely looked like losing.

There were numerous passages of play in the Toulouse 22 yesterday that in the past you would have put your house on Leinster scoring. Instead, they looked disjointed and panicked and blew chance after chance. Their timing was way off. It seems that they may not do those drills that led to them being able to tear opponents apart with speed and accuracy. They dropped balls that weren't really difficult takes. They threw mistimed and speculative and at times daft passes that just cost territory. I don't see Neinaber's thumbprint on any new style that is in any way an improvement on what has gone before. I do see a significant decline in the attacking cohesion that we were used to viewing. If Leinster have exchanged the 'Lancaster' blueprint for the dull and less effective 'Nieneaber' lack of style, then they have bought a pup. Baby and bathwater springs to mind and all Irish rugby fans will be poorer……even those who wanted Toulouse to win…bizarrely. I am an Ulster supporter but want to see all 4 provinces be successful. I enjoy them winning unless of course it is against Ulster.

Post edited by jacothelad on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

So onto the Connacht game , who will we see?

probaby,Russell,Ringrose,Ngati,Lowe,Harry ( hope its Frawley) Foley, Healy, Keheller , Mike, Moloney, Ryan/ Deeny,Deegan,Penny ,Conan

I have a lot of time for Harry Byrne in general. Showed huge promise at a younger age before injuries derailed him for a few years.

Has played well this season in big Champions Cup games as well. But the games against the Lions and then the Stormers have really set him back. Was terrible in both and when Prendergast was subbed in there was no noticeable drop in the sides performance. He's just so inconsistent.

If the rumours about Prendergast going on loan are false then we should really consider starting him in more game next season. Both Byrnes have their weaknesses which, at this stage of their careers, they probably can't improve upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Need to fast track new half backs. Playing mcgrath in particular is a waste of time. The coaches clearly don't actually want to play him so might as well prioritise Foley and Gunne. Even if they're not as good or liable to make mistakes now, they need to make the investment.

Having a fresh scrum half to lift the tempo in the last quarter is really important. Mcgrath on the bench and not using him at all over 100minutes shows a failure of development

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Left with the same feeling of the last few years that the need a thug in the pack. Al la rocky Elsom back in the day or o Mahoney for Ireland. McCarthy Baird doris and either of the 7s all brilliant players but don't strike put the fear into anyone. Experience too which is hard to hold against them but an old head says take 3 after the first 2/3 failed attempts.

This will be fixed with synman next year to some extent but it's hard to go back to the well that many times I feel.

Cullen has a fair bit to answer for and this should be the end of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭johnh6767

I’m battling this one in my mind - agree time to take risk on the younger guys and give them the opportunity to create a name for themselves, the reality is Prendergast & Gunne would likely get more time in France, but next season not now, we need to go and win URC and rebuild from the beginning of the next season where you would expect a changing of the guard to some extent in ever important half backs . JGP still the king 9 for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭50HX

In what way? Food & drink stand or just general ease of access

Ease of access to the stadium. Facilities were unbelievably good. The quality of food was top notch (see the Aviva's "chicken burger" as a compare point). Never had to queue more than five minutes for a drink. Speed of service once ordered. Staff were very helpful and took pride in their job.

Add to that, the seats were super comfortable. Plenty of leg room. Even the whole way down to the tiny things like drinks holders at seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Gutted for Leinster yesterday. Will always support the other Irish teams unless they are playing Ulster.

Leinster have a top tier pack. However they were maybe a fraction of yesterday, getting beat to the breakdown.

I think there are issues brewing in the backs. Jgp is top class, but you have to worry he's running on empty as he is key to Leinster and Ireland. Time to bring through some of the younger guys.

R Byrne is not the answer for Leinster. He's a level below what Leinster need. Time for Sam.

Keenan is world class, the others in the backline are nowhere near that level. Other than JoB is there anyone else coming through worth a look? I feel like if Leinster had one of the Toulouse wings they would have scored yesterday.

Finally - is it time to look at Cullen and review. I know it's fine margins but questions need to be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

If Cullen is to go ,who should take over? I think we should go for ROG . I think he would be amazing at Leinster.I get that he winds us up when we played LAR etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

YYeah I probably agree the next few games are important but it doesn't make any difference if they don't play the sub scrum half at all.

JGP is 32. He's playing great but this year and next year are likely the last bit before the decline due to age. Need to invest in the young lads from the start of next season at the latest.

I'd say it's already late but the young lads are still young, particularly Gunne (20) Foley is 24. But next season needs to be an investment in half backs and loosehead.

They have given milne decent gametime this year when he's available

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

Yesterday solidified for me that Andrew Porter is one of Ireland's greatest ever players. Played for 90 minutes, dominated the Toulouse scrum and made impact all around the pitch.

He's another that I hope wins a Champions Cup soon. He's a freak of nature, but is overplayed by his country and province. He can't keep absorbing this level of punishment every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭testtech05

It just seemed like Leinster were slightly off in attack yesterday lot of small errors and timing issues where support went past the ball carrier resulting in a few turnovers. One thing that came to my mind watching (as a Connacht fan wanting Leinster to win) was if the main players were a little undercooked in comparison to Toulose after not playing much rugby in the last few weeks? Its a fine balance between that and being rested/fresh I suppose.

The refs performance has been done to death so won't add anything to that which hasn't been said and Toulose were like men possessed at the breakdown.

This is what Carley blew a knock-on for (denying Lowe's try), for what it's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭phog

Looking at that, I think Carley was 💯 correct to call that a knock on, to me, McCarthy touches the ball before dummying and the ball touches the foot of another Leinster player and rolls forward.

Remember, Carley called this forward on first & only viewing. It's as close as makes no difference.

Advertisement