Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,705 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think it's sitting under Furlongs boot which moves it. Not clear at all that McCarthy knocked it on. Also, I believe it was the touch judge that called it, not Carley.

Either way, it should have been allowed to and called back for a TMO review if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

He may work out in the long run. But there's no doubt that Leinster are a weaker, less structured side. I suppose it's a waiting game now, to see if it's a good fit. Watching Leinster recently is like watching Munster a couple of years ago. A lot of effort but little initiative.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Didn't see the match but it looks like McCarthy rolls another player's foot, pushing the ball forward. I don't know what the rule is there - knock-on by proxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tyler Bleyendaal takes over from Goodman next season so we'll see what changes that brings to our attack.

Presumably he'll also arrive to coach during the pre-season to properly prepare the squad. I do think Leinster have suffered this year due to Goodman and Nienaber missing the opening fixtures due to World Cup duty.

The building blocks for the season are laid the month before it begins. Leinster had none of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

What is Bleyendaal's CV like? Wasn't a fan of Nienbar's appointment from the start, would've preferred someone from the NZ/ Aus school, or ROG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Personally, I wouldn't be getting my hopes up too much over Bleyendaal. The biggest reason it's him coming in is probably Nienaber knows him from their time at Munster. He's a Nienaber acolyte.

Hopefully I'm wrong and I'll be pleasantly surprised. I haven't actually watched the Hurricanes play while he's been coaching there.

Leinster's attack needs to be way better. Toulouse, Northampton and Bordeaux look to have the edge on them there now.

In fairness to Cullen, he's had a great win % over his time at Leinster. He is great at what he does and has been the driving force behind this Leinster team for the guts of a decade. But it's time. I doubt he can get them over the hill. There's something lacking and this squad are incapable of reaching the pinnacle. It's pointless laying it all at his feet, he's just one lad. At some point the players need to produce! Consistent bridesmaids is what they've become, imo.

Talk of fine margins, reffing etc is all to much in the excuse department. There's margins for every team. Toulouse faced those same margins and yet they won. Same story year in and year out. The responsibility for the planning, structures and selections are all on Leo. Consistently, he's been on the wrong side of the result.

I'm not pushing for his head. I admire him and appreciate all the fantastic things he's done. I feel he's at a crossroads now. The squad is aging, there's a serious decline in standards and there's no mantra other than "small margins".

I'm also relieved that Goodman is off. But I'm not enthused about his new gig. I don't rate Goodman at all. I know this will get a lot of push back from lots of posters and I'm seen as Capt. Negativity but I don't see how any Leinster supporter can look at the muck played this year and say this team is going in the right direction. Winning the URC would be great! But really for this squad Europe is and remains the goal. How do they pick themselves up from this? Posters point out injuries, what if's , etc and objectively that's Leinsters story. What it's, if only's ....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

God almighty I am deflated this morning. Could barely watch the match. Attack just wasn't good enough really.

I've watched it twice! It's just as bad the 2nd time.

Just going to have to win the league now. We've the best squad in the competition so I think we can do that. It'll be hard to mentally regroup after the loss, but I think they will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

I think the URC may also prove elusive as Munster are timing their run to perfection

I can't see Leinster winning the URC over a team whose sole focus is the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭phog

Either way, it should have been allowed to and called back for a TMO review if needed.

This is a mad take on knock ons, don't blow them in case a try is scored and only review if scored.

What happens if a penalty was to be awarded or the attacking team opted for a drop goal. Game stops for a review and then refs makes the decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭phog

All teams that can make the knock out games are concentrating on the URC now There's nothing else left for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭johnh6767

Dublinusa very good & well balanced post , more constructive than before and I think very insightful . I agree and we are normally on opposite ends of perspective

The time to focus on the league started a long time ago. I don't think you can just sort if pick it back up as a plan B at this stage.

Good point El_Duderino , maybe I’m being overly conservative. Feel that it’s too much of a risk introducing the younger lads for URC this season. Get the job done. Bring back the silver. And they will. Gunne and Foley look the same age out on the pitch. Sam is laps ahead of other contenders in rugby mindset & skills, but Harry has never really got his chances yet. I’m clear on longer term for 9/10, more challenging for next 2/3 years

100%

It's not a take on knock-ons broadly but it's widely reported that wasn't a knock on but most match reports I read and that the referee didn't see it himself. And if Carley hasn't seen it despite being next to it, blowing it up because a touch judge who's much further away suspects it seems harsh on the attacking team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭50HX

Class, great to see a stadium getting it right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

The ARs are not going to get on mic unless they're sure.so it isn't harsh. It's also what happens countless times in games.

And widely reported by who?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I don’t think we’re necessarily in an awful position for the league though, despite the last two results.

Ulster could be a slippery one for Munster, and the Lions will be gunning for a knockout spot against the Bulls.

If we end up getting 2nd seed, or miraculously even coming top, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us get to the final, and at the end of the day who knows what can happen in one match

It'd almost tempt you into supporting Spurs 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭LostArt

From personal experience I can tell you that while Leinster hasn't been great for the mental health recently Spurs is a different level 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

https://x.com/MoctarKane/status/1794401737853313224

This is a very similar try to the one Northampton probably could have scored near the end of the semi if Augustus had passed. They get outside the blitz line and then it's a two on one.

Larmour doesn't exactly cover himself in glory. I can't be too critical, because how much is he just doing what he's been told to do? But if he'd started just a fraction wider, covering the Toulouse edge man, and then trusted Henshaw just a bit more…

I'm thinking with Keenan gone for the 7s JOB on the right wing and Larmour at fullback might actually be better than the other way round in Leinster's attacking and defensive systems. Larmour just gets too narrow in defence too much, and he looked great going forward against the Bulls at 15.

Edit: not sure how to embed tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

It would want to be unreal, it cost a billion pounds.

You know that since the league has improved and competition is ferocious, am I wrong in saying that Leinster as a team have not improved? Not being pricky but, are supporters content with the shite we shoveled in Belfast a week ago?

• Advertisement

One thing I'd like to see over the next few weeks is greater variation in selection.

We have been too wedded to having specific 'units' that we select for certain games. We have a lot of good players that I think could flourish when surrounded by better players. I'd like to see a backrow of Baird/Penny/Doris. Or a Deegan/VDF/Doris. Or even a JGP and Prendergast/H Byrne.

A front row of Porter/Kelleher/Clarkson could do a lot of damage in the tight.

Advertisement