Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

To be fair, Ross B has accomplished a lot for a lad with little athleticism. He's not going to get Leinster over the hump.

Harry is a bitter disappointment, in my book. But the jury is still out.

Frawley could well be the lad. Maybe he doesn't tick all the boxes for Leo but, it's worth a look.

Right you are. Time to move on from a few of these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Temporarily get Jordie in as soon as he arrives and have Prendergast as back up ,with game time. Send either Byrne on loan if needed.

Nope need to put Barrett at 10, with Prendergast as back up and starting games also

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭johnh6767

become a coach best of luck hope it is great for you I’m sure you will be incredible

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Saw on Reddit there a stat that Leinster have never won a European cup without Isa Nacewa (also true for Johnny Sexton).

I don’t think Leinster miss Nacewa per-se but they don’t have anyone like him right now; that unflappable player with a touch of class who everyone turns to when the going gets tough.

who are the big personalities in this Leinster team? We only see what’s on the pitch but from what we do see it’s hard to identify any.

Ryan has been tried as captain and he’s prone to making really awful decisions. Doris today gave away an incredibly stupid penalty at a key moment. I can’t point to any other forward who exhibits real leadership qualities.

In the backs, people talk about Ringrose but he has never struck me as a rally-the-troops type.

Even today some of the decision making was pure stupid, passing up points to go for the corner. Maybe the coaches are telling them to do this, but if they are it makes no sense to me.

I think Cullen has a lot of questions to answer; the trophy cabinet doesn’t reflect the talent that has been available to him, but I also think Leinster are lacking some leadership on the field.

this defeat was different to the last 2. Last yea Leinster were comfortably out played from about 30 mins on. Today they wasn’t the case, they just couldnt get the job done themselves. They had opportunities to go in front and passed them up.

I think there is a real risk of this team going down as nearly men, as I don’t think you’ll get there again next year. 4 years in a row is a tall ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭johnh6767

I disagree with much of your negative sentiment but I do see the loss of SL , hopefully time heals

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Madeoface

Leo has to go. Been there since Bilbao which was a Racing drop goal from disaster, but he hasn't figured it out since. We've never been outplayed in any final since but we're missing something, and Leo ain't it. We have an amazing squad.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭TRC10

This squad is too good to not win it at least once.

Well clearly not

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Why send them on loan? Leinster either wants them or it doesn't. I think leinster needs to replace them with a top tier 10. But they don't have a replacement so they either need to buy one or wait and hope Prendergast grown into the answer.

They've surely shot their shot on big signings for next year with Snyman and Barrett. So they can really only hope for Prendergast to come good, and that's a few years away if it ever happens

• Advertisement

Fi#k next year. That was shite. Personally I couldn't give a shite about the URC now either cos Leo shagged that too with his arrogance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Leo is essentially the Director Of Rugby in the main in his role, right?

I would not fire him. He does an amazing job in that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Snyman and Barrett will make a massive difference if fit. Snyman especially in this kind of frantic knockout atmosphere with his ability to be powerful and offload out of any tackle is a cheat code. If he stays fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dublin49

we can talk about a million "ifs and buts" we can have no complaints ,if after 100 minutes we didn't have one clear line break we are deficient in that department,Lowe is a legend but embarrassingly slow,Lamour is a magican who showed how the trick worked,Henshaw is as brave as the day is long and Osborrne is definitely big and maybe good ,but we aint got a Drico or a Darcy and we need one,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

This loss feels a lot more similar to the one vs Saracens. A game where we just couldn't get out of our own way.

Objectively speaking, we had Toulouse shut down for the majority of the game. They had two try scoring chances from breaks 15 vs 15, that took an amazing piece of defense to stop, but other than that they did nothing with the ball. We had entry after entry into their 22 and got nothing in return. So frustrating, this season has been such a downgrade in attacking proficiency

Nope. We've now lost 4 of the last 5 finals since 2018 now. That's incredible. The only constant is....

Ringrose is a huge loss in the team

Leo has probably blown urc for us again with putting all eggs in 1 basket, but i definitely want to win it

I mentioned on loan as the rumour is Prendergast would go on loan, would rather he stayed and one of Ross or Harry went if the loan rumour is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fitzgea1

Not sure why everyone is blaming Ross Byrne. Leinster lost that game at the breakdown, a new 10 isn't gonna fix that. Players need to get to rucks quicker and not get isolated. Maybe the coaches are focusing on the wrong things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭ersatz

Pretty flat performance and plenty of brainless moments from players who should know better, Doris reminded me of his brain fart in the 1/4 final. The lack of leadership really showed in the 22, no ideas which is something I wouldn't expect to see from Leinster, and still not taking early points. Thats not a mistake Toulouse made. Leinster teams have been inventive and risk taking for 15 years. To me it feels like the worm has turned here and it will be hard to get this team to a higher level. The ten situation has been allowed to fester from indecision, surely for the coaches its been an obvious truth that neither HB nor RB are European winning tens and someone should have been brought in. That Ireland overlooks both is a lesson Leinster haven't learned. Unfortunately this result also gives the bounce of a ball brigade another might have won final to kid themselves with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭LostArt

Sorry lads and ladies, that's my 4th final to attend from the last 5 so you can guess which one I missed!

For starters Carley was Carley, we had enough possession and territory to make him a non factor. For Leinster it was another final with poor decision making and execution. The game was also a privilege to get another up close look at the greatest to ever play the game. F*ck me he's incredible.

The sun will rise in the morning, we'll go again in the Champions Cup next season with some new coaches and players and eventually we'll get over the line in a final. When we do it will feel like winning the first one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Tommysocks11

I don't like nienabar with his defensive crap and 6 2 bench splits, this leaving vdf and Ryan on bench to have a bomb squad to bring on is ridiculous too, start your best team. Leinster have gone backwards massively since stu left and I would be getting rid of mcbride too in favour of an upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Whatever about technical coaching, surely Nienebar would have sent them on the pitch telling them to take the points on offer. And would have re emphasised this at half time. What the absolute fck? There is zero chance a SA team would have done what we did today. Even with a shite kicker, SA go for posts ever time. That's the most basic and unforgivable element today for me.

He's been in situ for too long, imo. I thought he would have moved into Humphries role. Whatever about previous seasons and accomplishment, he's got as far as he can with this squad. Imo

I get you. To me it's not negativity. It's the way I see things from a Leinster/ Ireland perspective. The amount of nearly... nearly is such a consistent drum to beat.

Replying to johnh6767

I understand the scheme and the possibilities. But what irks me is chucking Hugo and Ryan into the cauldron with so little match time.

Replying to tommysocks

Yea. Toulouse didn't really have hit top gear with our mistakes etc. It's numbing losing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭ersatz

Leaving JOB out when he was in very good form was also questionable. Not sure what the 6/2 was about given Cian came in so late, did McGrath even come on? I don't think he did.

• Advertisement

For me this loss is now commonplace. It's like I expect it. Same with Ireland, nearlymen. On the whole, this season has been a glut of poor performances. JN has bought nothing. Goodman is imo, poor and now gets promoted to the Ireland team. Last week's crap effort in Belfast was quite telling. In past seasons, I expect Leinster to squeeze out a win. This season, it's what da fcuk.

If they win the urc that would be nice. It would redeem a poor season. But Europe is the goal! So, I believe the season is a bust.

Advertisement