Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

But what happens if Keenan, Henshaw or Ringrose go down? I'd much rather Frawley step in than Harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

I definitely wouldn't have those concerns. He's arguably the strongest running threat from 10 of all three, and has a good offloading game. If we're really at a point where we're really chasing the game like that and going for broke, then I'd want the guy who I think has the right head and temperament for it, and right now I'd back Frawley over Harry in that regard 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Forgot about JOB maybe starting. It appears it could shape up that way.

I was ok with 6-2 for LaR. Not my preference for the Toulouse game.

I'd go with a McGrath, Harry, Frawley

over

Molony, Conan, Conners/vdF, McGrath, Frawley

Very little has changed on this topic Dub since you essentially posted the exact same thing a week ago.

Cullen gave a positive sounding update on all three - it might just be spin, but we don't know. I'm hopeful we'll get at least one or two of them back, with Ryan probably the longest shot (given he doesn't appear to be doing any running or training yet).

Ryan's injury isn't persistent either - it's just one specific bicep tear he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Regardless of whether they are genuinely in contention or not, expect that Ryan, Ringrose and Keenan will all be said to be under consideration for this weekend, if only to mess with Tolouses head.

Would expect very few of last weeks starters to start and even fewer who are going to be 1st XV against Toulouse

Healy

Sheehan

Aalatoa

Moloney

Jenkins

Penny

Connors

Conan

McGrath

Harry

Lowe

Ngatai

Ringrose / Turner

Russell

Keenan / O'Brien

Milne

McKee

Clarkson

Deeny

Deegan

Gunne

Prendergast

Frawley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

Frawley hasn't exactly a great record of being trusted to come off the bench in finals to win anything. JOB is a far superior player & has pace. If you need a score, a line break or a bit of magic it doesn't have a F in it.

Interesting. Not saying your wrong and It looks like Nienaber/Cullen could go that way.

For the record I like Frawley (I just always preferred him at 12). Concerns over Harry are legit but I would have backed Harry, a 'natural' outhalf, to come off the bench.

The non-selection for Ospreys changes my mind right now. Harry starts v Ulster? AND has a 70min run And good game? Im putting him on the bench!

Outside of an injury, I can't see Harry getting anywhere near the 23 for Toulouse.

Assuming JOB comes in to 15 - if it's a 6-2 split on the bench, it'll be McGrath and Frawley on the bench. If its a 6-3 split on the bench, it'll be McGrath, Frawley and one of Osborne (if Ringrose is back), Ngatai or TOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I thought Harry was having a good enough season to start against Leicester, but he didn't get the shot. Once that happened he was unlikely to get any of the big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Ryan is training today.

• Advertisement

Paul O'Connell down watching training too interestingly.

No sight of Ringrose or Keenan in any of the images.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

We back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jonok28

Now all we need is Ringrose back before the final and we are cookin!

Loosing track of the number times I've read this from Leinster "______ is expected to return to full training this week ahead of the game against _____ this weekend."

Surely Keenan will play this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think a lot of the above has to be taken in the context of McGrath's passing game dying a death in the last 2 years. He was a very poor passer when he emerged but he brought that up to an adequate level where he was a European Cup winning scrum half. But since the emergence of JGP as undoubted first choice, he seems to have settled for second best and that's now sliding further.

We didn't keep someone like Cooney because he wasn't anything special at the time. He went to Connacht and was largely third choice behind Marmion and Blade. He went to Ulster who didn't really have anyone and got the starting spot where he developed and became much better. But that was due to game time that we were never going to be in a position to really give him. And he has been far from perfect during that time too, losing his starting spot to Doak for some big games.

Paterson looks like a guy we might have missed the boat on but it's very much guesswork still. He has less than 900 minutes of pro rugby and turns 26 this year. Foley is 1 year younger and they backed him at the time. I don't think that was a terrible call at the time and I don't think we know how it will pan out yet. I'd imagine the gap between them physically probably had an impact with the 75kg, 5'7" Paterson probably always up against it slightly to get the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Rugbyf565

I think JGP will play the full 80 against Toulouse, McGrath won’t come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Rugbyf565

I’d love to see Patterson back at Leinster, would give us an edge again off the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

JOB has to start vs Toulouse, just a cut above our other options. I'd be tempted to start TOB too, his pace is something we've been lacking and I think he is a smarter player than Larmour overall.

If Keenan plays 11 Lowe 14 JOB 15 Keenan, with TOB on the bench in a 5/3

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Paterson looks like a guy we might have missed the boat on but it's very much guesswork still. He has less than 900 minutes of pro rugby and turns 26 this year. Foley is 1 year younger and they backed him at the time. I don't think that was a terrible call at the time and I don't think we know how it will pan out yet. I'd imagine the gap between them physically probably had an impact with the 75kg, 5'7" Paterson probably always up against it slightly to get the nod.

I think deciding for Foley over Patterson is reasonable. But why make the decision at all when you could just not have bothered bringing back Nick MacCarthy!? Who I'm sure is a lovely lad but good lord in heaven it was clear he was not a competent scrumhalf already.

It'll be interesting to see - I can't see TOB breaking into the 23 for London, but he should definitely continue to play a big part in the URC run in (he needs a big game this week in Belfast after having a shocker defensively against Ulster on New Year's Day).

The decision between Larmour and JOB for the 14 shirt (assuming Hugo is good to go to return to 15) will be interesting. Larmour is on his best run of form in years, but JOB was superb last weekend.

All in - I think when both are at their best I think JOB offers a little more. He's the better handler and distributor, better under the high ball and is pacier (without having Larmour's footwork). I think he's the better defender too.

I still think if I'd to bet though they'll plump for Larmour as the guy in possession of the shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭johnh6767

we have one of the top scrum halves in the world in JGP so we shouldn’t be sweating here. 9 & 10 is always going to be a big debate. Foley is 24/25 Gunne is 20/21, give it time. McGrath has given so much to us all at Leinster let’s not forget that as he phases out for next lie of talent. Time discloses all and it’s a position that can only be judged with consistent game time which will happen next season. For Toulouse I agree it will be a JGP DuPont showdown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I agree with this.

The problem is if he has to come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Having Ryan and Keenan available this weekend is huge. Both in the side makes us far stronger at the ruck, lineout and in our attack off phase play and transition.

If they get through the Ulster game they have to start against Toulouse.

Agreed on Keenan but not so sure on JOB. Larmour has earned the jersey and had played fantastically, particularly at European level. I can see JOB as 23.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All depends on if they go 5/3 or 6/2.

If they go 6/2 then one of Larmour or JOB misses out - Assuming Keenan is fit and starts.

I have a feeling they are going 6/2 and plan to start Connors for him to do a job on Meafu as he did with Skelton/Atonio against LAR.

And if they do go 6/2 I can see them going with JOB as he provides even more cover options across the backline , which would be very harsh on Larmour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

To add to likelihood of 6/2, they might be somewhat forced into it if Ryan is deemed fit enough to play in some capacity. They'll need to account for his level of fitness, being unlikely to last 80, and the potential to reaggravate his injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Harsh on Larmour but JOB is just the better player at the end of the day

Advertisement