Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

If Leinster get Ringrose back they'll have a full deck to choose from for the 1st time this season. Leinster will have gone from having a threadbare backline to an embarrassment of riches within 3 weeks. Five fresh quality backs (JoB, ToB, CN, GR, & HK) plus James Ryan back would be some fillip. The great counterfactual of course will always be the absence of Ryan in those 2 Ireland loses v NZ @ the WC & England in the slam decider

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Wild to think of what his absence has likely cost us. Arguably 1 HC win, a QF and more at the WC and a likely Grand Slam. Really hope he can be for for the tour to SA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If all 3 are fit, do they come right back in? I doubt Ringer will. Osborne/ Henshaw are going well.

• Advertisement

I suppose we'll see this week. I can't see all 3 getting into the 23 in Tottenham. This coming match is a must win. Ulster have beat us already and hopefully we can win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ryan and Keenan absolutely start the final if they get minutes over the next two weeks. If Ringrose doesn't get minutes I don't think you throw him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

RTE Radio earlier reporting Ryan and Keenan fit to play this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

IF Ryan is back its a game changer for Toulouse.

As vital as Keenan is to the backline unless Leinster overpower the pack Dupont-Ntamack will run amok.

Ryan-McCarthy, Jenkins. Baird-Connors-Doris, vdF and Conan.

v

Flament-Meafou , Arnold. Cros-Willis-Roumat, Castro Ferreira and maybe Brenan

Advantage Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

What happens if Toulouse don't start Meafou & Leinster play Connors at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Toulouse's defensive lineout is excellent and real weapon for them. Arnold, Flament and Roumat are all very dangerous in the air and give them a lot of scope for disruption.

Jelonch being out is a huge blow for them, but Cros has been excellent in their last two outings.

I do think we've got the edge in the backrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Then it would be the first European game he hasn't started all season and we give thanks.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly - But those are the risks you take if you go the "horses for courses" route in terms of selection.

But Connors or not , them not starting Meafou would be an advantage to Leinster for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Plus - it's not like Connors is this incredibly one dimensional player who would stifle our entire gameplan. He's an excellent rugby player, who just happens to be one of the very best tacklers in European / World rugby. He has certain strengths and weaknesses versus Josh obviously but I think Leinster could still play its usual gameplan obviously with Connors in the side.

Even if Meafou wasn't playing, Toulouse have multiple big carriers in their pack who get over the gain line through a combination of speed and power as opposed to the pure battering ram that Meafou is. Connors is more than useful against a Toulouse pack without Meafou.

And, as LP says, Connors is a very skillful and talented player in his own right. He is well able to attack a breakdown or carry off the back of a line out/link to the backline in the same manner as VDF. He doesn't have the all action engine of VDF but if he's going out there knowing he has to absolutely empty the tank for 50 minutes, I don't think he'd let the team down at all.

Independent reporting Ryan and Keenan should be available this week. Ringrose won't make this week. Maybe it's best for Ringrose to set his sights for the final urc match v Connacht.

Watching the Ospreys match back, I am concerned with the ease Ospreys got through our tackles. There were a couple of good line breaks where our defense was tore open. Ospreys 1st try was very poor from us. Osborne. VDF missing tackles. Better now than in the coming weeks.

Jenkins played a blinder. I think that's one of his better outings for Leinster. He has found some really good form. Watching Luke, he was poor with his passing. A couple of shoelace passes along with a couple of high passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Rugbyf565

yeah Jenkins is finally looking like the player we signed him for just as he’s leaving lol

• Advertisement

I think Jenkins has really come into his own this season. Whilst he has made his presence really felt in the last couple of months, his performances earlier in the season were fairly decent too. He made some good contributions in earlier games too without the eye catching moments.

I don't know if we really knew how to get the best out of him or play a style that he worked well with last season. Nienaber seems to have been able to spark some life into him and he's really started delivering. He was a big unit who was very mobile around the park during his time in SA and that's what we've seen more recently with some really effective carries as well as excellent line out work which isn't something we normally associate with a 124kg tighthead lock in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It absolutely isn't a must win.

It would be nice to have a home route all the way to the final, this team shouldn't even slightly fear playing URC knockouts away from home.

Only 'must wins' are the final next week and then the knockouts when they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

given the "home advantage" will involve games in an half empty croke park, im not sure how much advantage it will be.

saying that avoiding a trip to SA would be nice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is very much still a scenario in play where we have to go to SA for a semi final. I'd count avoiding that as slightly more than just a "nice to have"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭PMC83

Not a must win but you'd imagine it would be an important one for them and a big knock to momentum if lost. Leinster have lost two semis at home on the bounce. While they shouldn't fear going away I wouldn't imagine they would be thrilled with the prospect of it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,218 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if leinster can put out a team of:

Byrne, kelleher, alaalatoa

jenkins ryan

connors, conan, Penny

Mc Grath, H Byrne

TOB Ngatai JOB Russell

Keenan

Mckee Milne Clarkson Molony Deegan Foley Frawley Larmour

id be confident enough of bring home the win

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Whilst Home is obviously better , the positive impact of the schedule this year cannot be discounted.

In previous years , the Semi Finals fell immediately before a Euro Final.

This year , the entire playoff cycle is several weeks afterwards - It makes a huge difference.

Should be a cracking match in Belfast. I hope Keenan gets involved, even if on the bench. Same with Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The scenario of having to go to SA in the semi can still be in play whether we win or lose against Ulster.

There are also several scenarios where Leinster lose both URC games and don't end up travelling to SA in the semi. A game can't be a 'must win', like the OP claimed, if you can lose it and another one and still end up avoid the negative outcomes.

The idea of going to SA isn't ideal but this team should have nothing to fear going down there, even with the associated travel and the impact to the following week. I'd argue this team seems to rise to that kind of adversity pretty well, at times better than when they're clear favourites.

If you have two ends of the spectrum - 'must win' and 'nice to have', I don't see any real argument that the game this weekend is anywhere close to the 'must win' side.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Two years ago the URC QF was after the CC final. We still went out in the semis.

Advertisement