Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yep, he was a Leinster signing but by the time he arrived, Fitzpatrick was injured, Buckley was done and there was quite literally no-one else to fill a green jersey.

The mad thing was, he actually played quite well in those games, but it didn't matter.

I seem to remember in one of those matches he scrummaged against van der Merwe and did extremely well. To be fair he hadn’t earned a call up but that wasn’t his issue that was the Irish managements.
    He’ll be missed because it’s guys like him that get you to league finals and you don’t worry about if they are needed in the biggest matches. I’d honestly take Bent over any tight head in any of the other provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I really think it was more how it was handled than his selection.
    Kidney essentially meeting him at the airport and shoving a hurl in his hand.

Not his fault right enough and he has certainly been an excellent player for Leinster since.

They were dark days at tight head with injury and lack of options, but thank god for our lord and saviour Mike Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

I still remember that the first thing he did in Ireland was on run for Ireland against SA for a scrum. Then win a penalty at said scrum.

The criticism was completely for selection policy, not Bent himself. But unfortunately people forgot that and targeted him.

I thought when Stan Wright left, we would never get as good a "backup" prop again. But I honestly think Bent has been much better for Leinster than Wright was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Yep, he was a Leinster signing but by the time he arrived, Fitzpatrick was injured, Buckley was done and there was quite literally no-one else to fill a green jersey.

The mad thing was, he actually played quite well in those games, but it didn't matter.

I remember he came off the bench vs SA and the Irish scrum didn’t collapse. George Hook basically had an orgasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

People also forget he wasn’t a project player. If his name was Cathal Murphy rather than Michael Bent might have gone down easier with some fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Sorry to see Bent go, particularly without a decent sendoff. He's been a fantastic signing for Leinster - so reliable and just so good on both sides of the scrum. I hope he has a happy and healthy life back in New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I imagine as both are retiring something will be organised later next season when hopefully crowds are back for himself and Fardy to come back for a send off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

100% he did well from my recollection. Not just in scrum but I seem to remember he was lively around the pitch, well more lively than Buckley was anyway

RTE had a huge bee in bonnet and made a massive deal about it at the time. I can imagine the likes of Wes Liddy losing his life over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Doris, Ryan and Ringrose back, woo hoo.
    McGrath in cotton wool
    Bent gets one last go at Munster too.

Little excitement but looking forward to seeing how all the returning lads go

EzlpRqmWYAEPQk1?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Nice mix there! Some boys returning too! Great to see Sheehan start. A good 50 mins for Ringrose would be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

James Ryan and Scott Fardy to bring off the bench is massive.

Great to see Ringrose and Doris back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Can't say I know Foley. Potential first cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

aloooof wrote: »
    Can't say I know Foley. Potential first cap?

Academy year 2.

This will be his senior debut.

Has not impressed in any of the A appearances I've seen him in. Lightyears in quality between his good and bad hands. No real kicking game threat.

Decent sized and reasonably physical though. Has played at 12 a bit underage and at U20s for Ireland

Hopefully Foley is up to it. I don't know anything about him. I would have liked to see Bent start.
    Frawley back is great news. I think he will be a regular in the 23 fairly soon. His versatility is a big asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Great to see Dan Sheehan start. A little disappointed not to see Frawley at 12.
    Gobson Park must still be a big doubt for next week if neither he or Luke are on the Bench.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Great to see Dan Sheehan start. A little disappointed not to see Frawley at 12.
    Gobson Park must still be a big doubt for next week if neither he or Luke are on the Bench.

I see Munsters starting 15 is pretty much fully loaded , their bench has quite a few younger guys though.

Injuries depending could see Moloney and Murphy come off for Ryan and Fardy. Back five of Ryan, Baird, Fardy, Penny, Doris is fairly tasty.

Interest for this one is on the floor.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Injuries depending could see Moloney and Murphy come off for Ryan and Fardy. Back five of Ryan, Baird, Fardy, Penny, Doris is fairly tasty.

Tend to agree..

It's really only about how Doris, Ryan and Ringrose go in advance of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sheepysheep

Does anyone have a link to the Exeter Leinster full match from 2 weeks ago?

They normally show up on youtube but don't see if anywhere this time.

Thanks.

Does anyone know what the province will do with Conor O'Brien and Adam Byrne? Are they contracted? Is Adam Byrne worth persisting with? Any update on Sylvester?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Team selection has made this interesting.
    See how some of the 22 year olds do against a seasoned pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Does anyone have a link to the Exeter Leinster full match from 2 weeks ago?

They normally show up on youtube but don't see if anywhere this time.

Thanks.

Not on YouTube but I typed it in on Google and found a couple of sites with it available to watch back on.

Oisin Heffernan after coming on for Saints for the last 10 minutes and winning a turnover while a man down that could save the match for them. Great to see.

Martin Maloney should make his debut today! He looked the business at the u20 level. Could become a good pro.
    Frawley and Doris out! That's bad news. Munster should win easily enough.

Not a lot positive to say, granted it was a really weak side compounded by Doris and Frawley being pulled out before the game and Harry going off after 5 minutes, but Munster completely dominated in defense, and we were just hilariously sloppy.

There'll be a few people getting chewed out in the review I'd imagine.

59 players used this season is an outrageous stat, but just shows how absolutely battered our squad has been this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Not much to shout about from a Leinster perspective. I'm glad Ringrose and Ryan got a good 60 minutes runout. And TOB looked lively in the few moments he actually got his hands on the ball.

It was a second/third string side in many regards but I still think we should have performed better. Set piece and breakdown was a mess and a lot of the time was of our own making.

Hopefully a good run out for Ryan and Ringrose.
    This Mickey mouse tournament should be used to get the younger players some valuable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

A lot of lineout troubles tonight which we haven't seen in a while. Disappointing to see us struggling so much. I've no doubt we'll put things right next weekend, but that wasn't the most reassuring game the week before a European semi final.

We really need JGP and Sexton to be fit for next week. No issues with Ross Byrne starting, but if Hawkshaw and HOS are the replacement half backs we'll be in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Is McGrath injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Clegg wrote: »
    A lot of lineout troubles tonight which we haven't seen in a while. Disappointing to see us struggling so much. I've no doubt we'll put things right next weekend, but that wasn't the most reassuring game the week before a European semi final.

We really need JGP and Sexton to be fit for next week. No issues with Ross Byrne starting, but if Hawkshaw and HOS are the replacement half backs we'll be in trouble

Completely irrelevant ahead of next week. We looked like a team that weren't bothered. That def won't be the case next week. We'll have Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Ruddock, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Ross Byrne, Henshaw and Keenan back into the starting XV at worst.

Advertisement