Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

salmocab wrote: »
    Remember someone else used to rag on Connors constantly, wonder where he went.

Hey Man(s)!

I'd sell my Granny(15) to try and figure out who those old usernames were.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

Clegg wrote: »
    Connors went to the wrong school.

Nice sharp. Gotta be prepared to not get burned by you Magic. I’m the elitist and you aren’t (all Rock boys aren’t). You really burned me there.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Nice sharp. Gotta be prepared to not get burned by you Magic. I’m the elitist and you aren’t (all Rock boys aren’t). You really burned me there.......

Take it easy on the ol mid-week beers there GK.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wasn't it the same bloke who used to bang on about Clegg going to blackrock or something as well.

The mask slips even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Penny is a unit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The oul Ignore button is great lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

.ak wrote: »
    Penny is a unit anyway.

He'll be leap frogged by young Cent whenever he gets into the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Is Charlie Ryan still in the Leinster academy?? haven't heard anything About him since the under 20s matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Is Charlie Ryan still in the Leinster academy?? haven't heard anything About him since the under 20s matches.

Injured since playing for Leinster A before Christmas, haven't seen any further information.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Connors is 100kg soaking wet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

.ak wrote: »
    Penny is a unit anyway.

He's one in a hundred

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He's one in a hundred

Truly awful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

He's one in a hundred

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Wasn't it the same bloke who used to bang on about Clegg going to blackrock or something as well.

The mask slips even further.

Funny thing is I've never stepped foot in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Bent officially retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Great player for Leinster. A versatile prop who was rarely unavailable and could deliver solid performances when called upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Shame he will leave without a send off in his last home game.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,393 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Michael Bent

Leinster:
    1 x Heineken Cup winner (2018)
    1 x challenge gup winner (2013)
    6 x Pro14 winner (2013, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)

Pro 14 dream team 2021

Taranaki:
    6 x ranfurly shield defence
    players player of the year 2012
    sportsman of the year 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

If I recall correctly he wasn't the most popular character for the first year or so, glad he is seen in much better light now.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,393 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hahashake wrote: »
    If I recall correctly he wasn't the most popular character for the first year or so, glad he is seen in much better light now.

xenophobia by ignorant people because he was signed to solve a tight head crisis.
    he played for ireland before making his leinster debut.

in doing that that he joins the exclusive club of Brian o Driscoll and James Ryan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Genuinely one of our best ever foreign signings. A quality prop on either side of the scrum. I think it was in the MOC era when he started two games against Castres, one leg at LH and the other at TH, and absolutely melted their giant pack on both occasions. And in the 5+ years since then, he's very rarely played badly.

It was a pity that his intro to Ireland was so contentious because I think he should have picked up more caps along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well this makes me sad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/michael-bent-it-has-been-a-privilege-thank-you

What an absolute hero.

I can't think of how many times over the years I've said we'd have been absolutely goosed without being able to call on Benty.

He was ready and willing whenever called upon to give incredibly reliable performances and pack down both sides of the scrum without any fuss. Once he hit his stride he was rarely bested by some top class scrummagers.

In the age where dual props are essentially non existent, this guy could hop across to loosehead without a bother.

Indeed 21 of his 23 games in 2014/15 were at loosehead 14 of which were starts - including European starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Genuinely one of our best ever foreign signings. A quality prop on either side of the scrum. I think it was in the MOC era when he started two games against Castres, one leg at LH and the other at TH, and absolutely melted their giant pack on both occasions. And in the 5+ years since then, he's very rarely played badly.

It was a pity that his intro to Ireland was so contentious because I think he should have picked up more caps along the way.

In hindsight I’d say he regrets having said yes to kidney.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

swiwi_ wrote: »
    In hindsight I’d say he regrets having said yes to kidney.

I don’t think so. For all the cr@p it stirred up at the time. It brought him to Leinster and I would say he very much is glad of that. It probably created a huge amount of expectation, that he had to come to terms with. He seemed to do that quite well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

stephen_n wrote: »
    I don’t think so. For all the cr@p it stirred up at the time. It brought him to Leinster and I would say he very much is glad of that. It probably created a huge amount of expectation, that he had to come to terms with. He seemed to do that quite well though.

Was it not Leinster were bringing him anyway, Kidney just met him at the airport instead of Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

sebdavis wrote: »
    Was it not Leinster were bringing him anyway, Kidney just met him at the airport instead of Leinster

Yep, he was a Leinster signing but by the time he arrived, Fitzpatrick was injured, Buckley was done and there was quite literally no-one else to fill a green jersey.

The mad thing was, he actually played quite well in those games, but it didn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yep, he was a Leinster signing but by the time he arrived, Fitzpatrick was injured, Buckley was done and there was quite literally no-one else to fill a green jersey.

The mad thing was, he actually played quite well in those games, but it didn't matter.

Yes, the poor guy never got a chance to draw breath and acclimatise. I always hoped he would move to Ulster when Moore, Furlong etc came to the fore. I suspect there was more than a tinge of xenophobia in some of the stuff about him in some quarters. He just got on with his job. Good man.

Advertisement