Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE Raw Superthread

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I expect Hurricane or Mighty Molly to appear at some point.
    Alexa got new music as well. Will see if that means her Playground is gone.

So the men all get singles matches to qualify but the women use tag matches?

Piper turn on Eva already? Or likely they'll talk and Piper will tell her the problem.

Rick beating AJ, Morrison beating Randy and Riddle beating Drew? Yet I'm guessing none of them will be winning. They're just in there for the spots.

Hell in a Cell is career shortening so let's have 4 Cell matches in 4 days and it's so unforgiving and all that yet have the same guy win 2 nights in a row.
    I think that just made the cell matches mean even less.

The HIAC was WWE’s way of trying to make it up to USA Network for giving fox a HIAC last Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,221 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yep i don't even know what to say and think of Superhero Nikki Cross

Jackson Ryker is such an odd character and cant see it going anywhere when his stuff with Elias is finished

The MITB qualifying matches were very good and the outcomes were good. Interesting where they go with Drew now

Riddle is so bloody annoying and i cant wait to see full blown heel Orton murder him

The magic has really gone from HIAC matches although last nights one was good. Id be up for a new day break up and they both go there separate ways

At first I thought they were going to push an All-American hero veteran story, but instead they seem to be going for the PTSD vet that hangs out at the bus station type...

I could also buy more into the happy-go-lucky Riddle stuff if not for the sexual assault allegations... kinda kills the whole free-spirited vibe - though does play into the 'bro' vibe admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭ThePott

Was Raw worth watching? Seems like there's some potential in those MITB qualifiers and the HIAC match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,221 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ThePott wrote: »
    Was Raw worth watching? Seems like there's some potential in those MITB qualifiers and the HIAC match.

I would say it's probably the best episode for a good while alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I would say it's probably the best episode for a good while alright.

The bar has been fairly low however…

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

ThePott wrote: »

A lot of positive feedback online about it. The biggest takeaway was a lot of fresh matchups. WWE seems to be building towards fans coming back to live events and the tv studios apparently called Vince out on the product being stale.

From a quick read through the results I don’t see there being enough there to bring me back into the fold. Mighty Molly Cross was enough to make me say no thanks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Getting Drew away from the title scene is a big plus. Like all faces in WWE he's gone stale and generic. Kofi VS Lashley is something new at least, even if the outcome is inevitable.

Couldn't bring myself to commit to the whole thing but watched the Virgin Media 1 hour version.
    It was basically the MITB matchs and the cell match. Was a pretty good show (the hour long version at least). Might even watch this Mondays.
    I like that they're going with some outside the box choices for the MITB match.

That being said I don't really see many of them as a viable threat aside from Big E on Smackdown. Still Ricochet and John Morrison being in a ladder match is enough to get me excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88,121 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Orton vs. Styles vs. Drew for the final MITB ladder match spot tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,139 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Orton vs. Styles vs. Drew for the final MITB ladder match spot tonight

I'm guessing Drew will win

First time watching a full Raw in quite a bit and aside from the obvious complaint of it being way too long, it was a pretty solid show.
    They're really getting behind Riddle and it's definitely paying off, could see him winning MITB (those allegations have ruined him i my eyes but anyway). Nikki Cross is another person that they're really getting behind with this superhero gimmick. I'm not sure about the look but I think it could work and Nikki has enough charisma to get it over so we'll have to see.

I also have to put my hand up and say, they've got me with this Eva Marie story. I'm really enjoying it and the DouDrop name actually works well in context and Eva will get a lot of heat when crowds are back, I like it so far. The Ricochet/JoMo match was sick, hoping that they're actually going to do something consistent with Ricochet now, probably the coolest he's looked in a while and that crossbody to the outside was insane.

Main event match was really good and of course Drew won. Sick of him in the title picture and if he wins MITB I'll be pissed. Also sick of the Rhea/Charlotte feud by now, really hoping this isn't the feud up till Summerslam, it's dragging already and has no momentum at all. Jaxson Ryker in general can just get in the bin and the 24/7 title is back, seems like it was an afterthought but sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was looking to see who in the MitB match they could have Drew feud with to stop him winning and I don't know if anyone. Think Riddle will be with Randy for the next while and Morrison and Ricochet won't be feuding with him.

As for Ricochet, unfortunately this is likely just another case of building him up to appear as a possible winner only to forget about him again until the next time his flippy style is needed.

Just thinking when they said about a live crowd, last year was the Corporate Ladder match and now this year it's back in a normal ring

Doubt it will happen but imaging if Woods costs Kofi the title and aligns himself with MVP and Lashley.

Drew with his Scottish folklore could end up winning the MITB but i hope he doesn't and is kept out of the title picture for a while. A move to SD in the draft would be ideal for him

I always felt WOODS was best to go heel from NEW DAY

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I always felt WOODS was best to go heel from NEW DAY

New day started out as heels if I remember correctly

Remember they done a heel promo at a Dublin house show saying 'soccer sucks' or something stupid like that. Think it was 2015

• Advertisement

Raw on BT Sport 2 tonight because of the NHL playoffs

Me thinks a match will become of this segment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Had a scroll through the YT videos, wasn't enticed to click on even one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,386 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'm guessing Drew will win

Have a look at the shítty, cartoony midcarder promo he cut last night on his sword and Jinder, and you might want to think again.

I know this is an obvious complaint but god is Raw too long, even when there's stuff on the show that works, sitting through it is painful.
    Opening promo was alright, decent line-up for MITB. Could they make Ricochet look like more of a geek? What was that R to the I to the C nonsense. His match with JoMo was alright, Miz blocking the ring was kinda funny.

Riddle is really becoming the main player on Raw these days, he's entertaining and doing a solid job. Again those allegations have tarred him a bit in my eyes but he's playing his role well. The Karate kid stuff was a little on the nose but I got a kick out of it (ba-dum-tss).

The 8 woman tag match was okay, didn't realise that Alexa was meant to be a face. Still it furthered a few angles and was a decent match. Super Nikki is sort of interesting and the Eva Marie stuff is fun. Ali/Mansoor are going to be a tag team aren't they? Drew/Jinder feud is absolutely yawn inducing. Jaxson Ryker getting a face push is dreadful, aside from the guy himself and his beliefs (which is a lot to put aside), he's the absolute drizzles in every respect. What the hell is this Charlotte/Rhea feud, it's rubbish. Please put it out of it's misery. Main event match was fine if nothing spectacular.

Also saw it mentioned that Tegan Nox was in a Raw Dark match so looks like she might be getting called up soon, it's weird considering presumably they've been teasing her on NXT the last few weeks and she won't be around for long. Unless they just wanted to give her ring time before her return.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Is there a bigger knob on raw than McIntyre? What was that terrible Alamo promo about?

• Advertisement

How are we meant to think Miz gets in and out of the ring in the wheelchair?

I'm no doctor but I'm sure if Charlotte was injured she'd be advised not to wear heels.

As for Alexa being a face, I'm sure they don't even know themselves what she's meant to be. I'm sure she'll be heel just as quickly.

So now that Bad Bunny is gone they don't know what to do with Priest? Who saw that coming? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,032 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A couple of months ago he was in the a great faction heading totally in the right direction and looking a million bucks after a great storyline and then Vince changes his mind.

The Mrs trying to get him future endeavored?

https://twitter.com/SwoleWorld/status/1412263043006935041?s=20

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

TimesArrow wrote: »
    Is there a bigger knob on raw than McIntyre? What was that terrible Alamo promo about?
    Getting VKM flashbacks

hqdefault.jpg

SlickRic wrote: »
    Have a look at the shítty, cartoony midcarder promo he cut last night on his sword and Jinder, and you might want to think again.

Yep that promo about the Loch Ness Monster was a serious load of horse ****

Another nothing episode of Raw but tbf Kofi vs Bobby and the MITB stuff is good

That package for Toni is for the old version of her character. Hope she sticks with the heel character.

Bobby broke pretty easily.

Edit: My bad, Toni is going to Smackdown

Post edited by CastorTroy on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Cena does know Roman is on Smackdown, right? lol

Yeah was going to say that

Hes Hardly going to challenge Bobby and his appearance last night at the end was just to send a message to the entire roster not Roman

SO Cena is deemed to be a "free agent" and can appear on both Raw and Smackdown, his appearance on Raw seems to be nothing more than a ratings pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭The Bollocks

Cena and Goldberg in the house for RAW tonight

• Advertisement

Big Bill really needs to just retire from in ring stuff

Bobby or himself could seriously be injured

I like to see Big E show up to square off with Bobby despite being Smackdown

Naomi is gone to Smackdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,718 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Funny i heard they buried Kross

NXT champion who wasn't beaten in WWE prior to going to RAW and his first match gets defeated by Jeff

Doesnt get his entrance music, no Scarlett and crowd were just dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I don't mind that their strip away his entrance because it really shows how bland of a character Kross really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,799 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ive no love for Kross, but why build a guy up for nothing.

Why strip away things that may give him some appeal?

Why have anyone lose on their debut?

Why have the always face JH cheat to win ?

Its all counter productive and typical WWE

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

My first thought after the main event is what another pointless title “reign” for CF.. 14 time champion.. how many of those have barely lasted any amount of time? Short title reigns damage the prestige of championships and winning a belt and losing it within 24 hours Is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Raw sounded so promising last night on paper but then they go and Bury Keith Lee and Kross in one night. What's the point

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I agree with Kross, but I think Lee was alright. Got a big return pop, went up against a very dominant champion and managed to power out of the Hurt Lock. It was a strong return for an upper-midcard guy.

Kross was a disaster. If that's your first exposure to the guy, you'd be thinking he's a geek. Hurts NXT as a whole.

I will say though that overall, I thought it was a good Raw. I gave up watching when the crowds left cause I found it quite boring, and decided to try it out again last night (mainly in case Big E showed up). But it felt like theyd put effort into the shows again with the crowds back.

Charlotte's title runs make me roll my eyes. Her last 4 runs have totaled 19 days. Its blatent they want to get her to the record quickly, but favour quantity over quality.

Not sure about a superhero cashing in like she did, but I think it's awesome of Nikki that a few weeks ago, she was going nowhere, pitched an idea that got roundly mocked online but has carried her quickly into her first title run. That's exactly the sort of thing WWE often gets a lot of flack for (not giving people chances to get ideas over) and I appreciate seeing someone rewarded so quickly.

No real interest in Bobby vs Goldberg. Hope Bobby kills him quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

And there were people who actually wanted the WWE/New Japan partnership rumours a while back to be true. If Vince treats his own companies champions like that imagine how a wrestler from another company would be presented.

WWE stinks.

• Advertisement

Theres a huge disconnect from NXT to Main Roster.

Look how they initially put Gargano and Ciampa on main roster. The 2 men were killing eachother in NXT , then with no warning or reason they are a team on the main roster with none of their history acknowledged.

It wouldn't be hard to fix WWE but as long as the writing team are booking for Vinces tastes, WWE will continue to be the dumpster fire its been for years

It's like Vince sees NXT as a rival. Why do that to Kross? Strip everything away from him and then have him lose to Jeff Hardy.

Happy for Nikki. Hope she gets a decent reign.

Seeing Keith Lee makes me think they're not as keen to keep real life couples on the same brand anymore. Mia is supposedly a SD talent. Then have Corey and Carmella. I know Naomi is supposed to be moving but likely to keep Jimmy under control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,718 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Losing to Jeff makes it even worse, from what I've read he's barely been on TV and been constantly losing...

HHH must be absolutely livid by this and who would blame him.

Thought it was a strong Raw actually, something they could honestly do most of the time if they really wanted.

I think people using the term buried for Keith Lee is ridiculous. He got more offense in than Kofi, a former champ and got out of the Hurt Lock which few did. That was far from a burial, not to mention this is his first appearance in front of a crowd on the main roster, give it a chance. He shouldn't be just thrust into the title picture after so long away.

As for Kross, I'm no fan of the guy and he's nothing special. I do agree with what was said though, why throw away that dominant streak straight away. Again, I'm trying to not let my disinterest in him cloud my judgement, if it was a better talent we'd all be pissed.

Can't stand the Goldberg stuff obviously, he's lost his last two matches but gets a title shot no problem. I do think WWE played it well though not having him answer the challenge like the crowd expected. I think the crowd also expected Becky at the end (at least I did) so having Cross do a cash-in was a good twist. Delighted for her, do they just not know how to book the Women's MITB though? Everyone uses it almost immediately. I do wonder what the match for Summerslam is now though, a multi-woman's match for the title I guess. Don't know how or why you'd squeeze Becky in there though tbh.

Other random notes; The Bliss/Eva Marie stuff is such an odd pairing, I'm interested but not expecting much. Wish Nia and Shayna had split and let Shayna be a proper competitor. They're really high on Riddle. Called Mansoor and Ali being a team ages ago. Jesus, Drew murdered that lad with a chair, at a certain point it was kinda heelish haha. Not a feud I care about but glad he's not in the title picture.

Overall, I really liked Raw, best one in a long time. Something they should really have no problem doing going forward honestly if they were smart.

Why call up the NXT champ now?

I thought Keith Lee was on SmackDown, him even joining Lashley and MVP might work

How can Goldberg and Cena just return and demand title matches

Go Nikki!

You're misremembering this unless I'm mistaken. They went to main roster as a team February of 2019. By 2019, they were on the same page. Their feud had ended and at NXT Takeover: Phoenix in January 2019 Gargano came out and actually stood by Ciampa's side whlie they both held a title (NA and Championship respectively). They teamed after that, teamed on Raw and Smackdown and were teaming in the Dusty Rhodes Classic at the same time.

There's definitely a disconnect between NXT and Main but that's not one of them. Most of the time it feels like the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,421 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Great that Nikki cross cashed in and won the title. Hopefully she gets a decent run with it because from everything I’ve heard of her, she seems like the nicest person in wrestling. I’ve not heard one person ever say anything even remotely negative about her.

so nearly seven months away and several daft and cryptic and vague tweets later Keith lee is back and he loses.

I agree that vince see NXT as a rival but instead of making superstars they bring up look like jobbers, he should use it as an incentive to improve smackdown and raw like happened during the original brand split.

Kross now has to go back to NXT and be expected to be a dominant force again after that? Compare it to when Owens appeared as NXT champ on the main roster. How does it look that Hardy was able to do what none of the main eventers on NXT could do?

They seem to have taken a step back. NXT was seen as a third brand for a short while, winning Survivor Series, then it started becoming a separate thing again like with last year's Survivor Series and things like saying how the Rumble winner being able to challenge either the raw or Smackdown champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Cotts72

its wwe theyll make out something stupid like he needs scarlett by his side to remain an unstoppable force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

The loss to Kross was the best moment of the night. What an absolutely dull and shocking character. Great to see Jeff get the win. A proper star.

I gave Raw a try (as well as MITB and the previous Smackdown) and while their are good things to enjoy about WWE, I feel its a house built on shallow foundations. Maybe I am wrong and maybe I'm biased as a result of being burnt too many times by WWE, but its hard to enjoy even the best things as I expect things to fall apart or go to **** because they have typically no real direction.

Fans being back is great and its been missed and I feel they are still the same company with the same issues.

Goldberg being hotshotted to a main event match is the worst. In a perfect world the roles of Keith Lee and Goldberg are reversed and Goldberg gets squashed. Goldberg is not fit to hang with WWE top talent at his age. He should have been squashed by The Fiend, by Braun, by Drew in record time. He shouldnt be a challenger in 2018 let alone 2021. I was far more interested in Lee than Big Bill. I dont care about Goldberg in 2021.

Lee has it. I dont know the issues surrounding his absence, but if anyone needs to be hotshotted, its this guy. Id have loved Lee v Lashley at Summerslam. Build Lee up each week and have MVP court New Day and have Lashley go over thanks to Kofi and Woods, forming a new stable. It would keep Lee strong and be a fresh direction for New Day, as well as give Big E a nice target for a cash in months ahead. But no, we get Bill Oldberg.

Im happy for Nikki Cross and I like her , but it all feels rushed. It feels like WWE giving fans a moment just to generate excitement. I hope Im wrong. I fear the wont follow up the win with an adequate story or worse, make her out to me an absolute goof as they've done with some others. Im not a fan of the gimmick myself, but if done better it could be a great way to connect with the younger audience and sell merch.

Less said about the Alexa Bliss tripe the better. I hate the angle. Hate the Fiend and hate the persistence with it.

Kross and his debut is just mind boggling.

Jaxson Ryker is pushed when no one cares.

Tamina and Natty continue to stink up both shows.

My god the camera cuts on those chairshots by Drew.

It was a better than average Raw but IMO, its still not worth watching for 3 hours or staying up late for. Same problems persist and the shock wins, debuts etc will continue to mask the problems poorly. When the dust settles in the coming weeks, WWEs issues will remain, Im sure of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement